Irish Mountain
Running Association

Core Volunteer Prize

AuthorDateMessage
Tanya SheridanMar 28 2019, 4:12pmHi everyone,

To recognise the vital contributions of a broader set of IMRA volunteers, for this year the race director prize will replaced by a broader core volunteer prize. This prize will be awarded to all RDs, 1st aiders, laptop operators, race markers and people who volunteer at the all-day events. The details are being worked out but we wanted to let you know so that you can start signing up!

Also, from now on race markers who also run the race will get volunteer credit. This is to establish fairness given the huge effort race markers put in before the race.
Continued thanks to all IMRA volunteers!

The Committee
Alan AylingMar 28 2019, 6:48pmHave to spend all those Munster profits somehow hehehe ;-)
Caoimhin MacMaolainMar 28 2019, 7:45pmGreat ideas Tanya.
Mick HanneyMar 28 2019, 7:57pmGreat idea. Thanks to our hardworking committee.
Miriam MaherMar 28 2019, 7:59pmGreat idea Committee!! Feeling the love ;-)
Jason DowlingMar 28 2019, 8:40pmGreat idea committee and I think that will encourage more people to get involved in some of the key roles for each race.

At present, a volunteer has to commit to two non-running roles. If this is done on a Wednesday evening race (or similar), this would take up at most 7 hours(ish) for the two races. However, some volunteers for the long distance race can easily give up at least that 7 hours in one sitting (and some even significantly more). Could the committee also consider the time committed for volunteers at the long distance events as two non-running volunteer roles?

Keep up the good work,
Jason.
Tanya SheridanMar 28 2019, 11:28pmThanks Jason and all. Jason, the volunteers at long-distance events are included - that was what we meant by the "all-day events" category. A few of those are coming up soon and I am sure the RDs will be glad to get some early volunteer sign-ups.

Thanks,
Tanya
Brendan LawlorMar 29 2019, 9:38amWell done Tanya and committee, a great initiative !
Robert CarneyMar 29 2019, 2:33pmGreat news that,

Hopefully attract a few volunteers for the Glacier Lakes:)

Hint Hint - Nudge Nudge
Robert CarneyMar 29 2019, 2:33pmGreat news that,

Hopefully attract a few volunteers for the Glacier Lakes:)

Hint Hint - Nudge Nudge
Tanya SheridanApr 5 2019, 6:11pmHi all, as promised, further details below on the requirements for the Core Volunteer prize and how these tie in with the Annual Prize.

Everyone who volunteers once in one of the core volunteer categories set out above will be eligible for the Core Volunteer prize. For first time RDs and for unexperienced race markers, it will also be required that you have done the appropriate volunteer training. (Of course, no one can first aid at an IMRA race unless they have the necessary qualification.)

To be eligible for the Annual Prize core volunteers (except RDs) will have to do either (i) one more core volunteer role or (ii) two additional non-running helper roles PLUS run 10 races.

RDs who want to get the annual prize as well as the core volunteer prize will need to only add 1 additional non-running role of any kind (based on the fact that RDing counts as two volunteer roles) (plus the 10 races).

Thanks all,
The Committee
Stuart ScottApr 10 2019, 10:22amI've just tried to sign up as tin whistle player and I see that role has gone. Is this no longer eligible for the prize? I've not done any training or anything but how hard can it be!
Conor O'FarrellApr 10 2019, 11:25am@Stuart. If you don't have a Tin Whistle, you can bring one of those emergency whistles and bellow on that for an hour or so.
Kevin O'RiordanApr 10 2019, 11:28amWe had to temporarily remove the role as we had volunteers showing up who were unqualified or showing up with flutes, clarinets and the like. We will be holding a training course later in the year for tin whistle volunteers, keep an eye on the forum.
Pádraig DoyleApr 10 2019, 12:56pm1) P.Doyle.
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

(As usual, I assume there's a waiting list for this one)
Kevin O'RiordanApr 27 2019, 5:14pmThis is what you get when you allow just anyone to sign up for the "tin whistle" role https://www.facebook.com/martsje/videos/pcb.2242591582453232/10157431296456661/
Lillian DeeganApr 27 2019, 9:49pmAh but Kev, they'd be cow bell sounds your hearing. Always a welcome sound and sight about the Alps. Paul Daly has a few working souvenirs, I'm sure I've seen them about the odd LD race here. On race days about the Swiss Apls, I've seen bells the size of a small child - huge. Always a welcome spine tingling sound given. Go NI Runners I'd be saying. Bringing back the tin whistler help would get my vote.
Lillian DeeganApr 27 2019, 10:04pm.
And for the day that's init - here's the '19 Ding Ding Highland Fling. Another legendary event with an amazing array of instruments about the 53mlr route https://www.facebook.com/197753333632134/posts/2755996151141160?sfns=mo
Jean O'NeillApr 29 2019, 5:18pmThis tin whistle player was busy doing First Aid Officer at Devil's Glen--sorry to dissapoint you all! I'll make sure to keep the whistle in the car so that I can delight you all the next time I make it to a race! (injured, shin splints, cant run, so I'll be doing plenty of volunteering)
Jean O'NeillApr 29 2019, 5:19pmThis tin whistle player was busy doing First Aid Officer at Devil's Glen--sorry to dissapoint you all! I'll make sure to keep the whistle in the car so that I can delight you all the next time I make it to a race! (injured, shin splints, cant run, so I'll be doing plenty of volunteering)
Lillian DeeganJun 14 2019, 2:39pm**

Hello everyone,

Happy Friday :)

On with a request for everyone to log into their member profile and update, if need be, your T-shirt size. This years Core Volunteer prize will be an Icebreaker merino wool 175 everyday base layer. For more info. on the item and to help all ensure they size correctly, see links here -

Women’s - https://eu.icebreaker.com/en/womens-baselayers/175-everyday-long-sleeve-crewe/104471.html

Men’s - https://eu.icebreaker.com/en/mens-baselayers/175-everyday-long-sleeve-crewe/104483.html

We will have these Core Volunteer prizes to handout from August until December/ year end only. We will place an order against the sizes from the IMRA database on June 21st, next Friday. If you know anyone who does not forum check regularly, would you remind them to check-in to update their size if need be - thanks.

N.B. We will only be able to allow for the given size against your name for the Core prize - i.e. No swapping of items if they are too big or too small.

Thanks all
Committee
Laura FlynnJul 30 2019, 8:11amWe hope to have the core volunteer prize ready for distribution very soon and have complied a list of deserving recipients which we will be working from. However, if for some reason your name is omitted from the list please let let either Lillian or me know and we’ll happily add you.
Due to the expansion of the criteria for prize this year it hasn’t been as easy for the system to produce a comprehensive list so apologies in advance if you’ve been missed.
Finally, thanks to you all for your invaluable and generous contributions to the organisation throughout the year.
Sarah BradyAug 22 2019, 10:04amHi! Just want to say thanks so much for this really generous volunteer prize! It was the best thing ever to change into after a wet cold run last night! :)