Irish Mountain
Running Association

Race Marking Training

AuthorDateMessage
Tanya SheridanApr 3 2019, 10:32amHi all,

In conjunction with the Core Volunteer Prize, we have been working to make sure that members have access to the training they need to take on new volunteer roles. The First Aid training and two RD sessions were very successful – thanks again to all involved, attendees, trainers and organisers.

Next up, we are planning a session in Race Marking Best Practice. This will be held after the Killiney Hill race (on May 8) in the race area. Attendees will be shown how to mark the different types of junctions in accordance with the IMRA guidelines.

Food will be provided after as a thank you - for anyone who wants to stay back for it. Exact location to be confirmed but it likely will be in the Fitzpatrick's Castle Hotel, which is 5 minutes walk from the race start.

We will create a separate event page so you can register your interest and get the final details.

Further volunteer training is also in the works and should be announced soon!

Thanks again to all IMRA volunteers.

The Committee.
Tanya SheridanApr 10 2019, 3:57pmHi all, just to confirm that the race marking session will be led by Alan Ayling and Peter O’Farrell. Many thanks to Alan and Peter for their time on this. The event page will be updated soon.

Please indicate your interest by adding your name below.

Just a reminder that attendance will be a requirement for new race markers to get the core volunteer prize.

Thanks all!
Pádraig DoyleApr 10 2019, 4:47pmHello Tanya, Guys,
Can I take part in this please?

Thanks!
P.
Tanya SheridanApr 10 2019, 5:00pmOf course, Padraig - thanks for your interest. Attendee list below.

1. Padraig Doyle
2. Tanya Sheridan
Gordon PlaceApr 10 2019, 5:15pm1. Padraig Doyle
2. Tanya Sheridan
3. Gordon Place
Gordon PlaceApr 10 2019, 5:17pm1. Padraig Doyle
2. Tanya Sheridan
3. Gordon Place
Jeff SwordsApr 10 2019, 8:02pm"Just a reminder that attendance will be a requirement for new race markers to get the core volunteer prize".

Is there any point in volunteering as a race marker if you haven't done the training?
Jeff SwordsApr 10 2019, 8:05pmOr is it just in relation to those who haven't marked before, as implied by "new".
Igor Gonzalez-GuridiApr 10 2019, 9:23pmPadraig Doyle
2.Tanya Sheridan
3.Gordon Place
4.Igor Gonzalez-Guridi
Maola­osa McHughApr 10 2019, 10:13pm1. Padraig Doyle
2.Tanya Sheridan
3.Gordon Place
4.Igor Gonzalez-Guridi
5. Maoliosa Mc Hugh
Alan AylingApr 11 2019, 12:01amJeff-

It's as per your second point. We're not trying to teach grannies to suck eggs; the training isn't compulsory for experienced race markers. It's intended to bring people with less (or no) experience into the fold; to clarify what's expected; to help ensure consistency across all the marked races; to try and minimise the likelihood of some of the unfortunate events of the recent winter league and other notable mishaps from happening again. Really to get everyone on the same page - markers and runners alike.
Experienced race markers can still volunteer for the role without doing this training... just don't mess up ;-)
Alan AylingApr 11 2019, 12:02amJeff-

It's as per your second point. We're not trying to teach grannies to suck eggs; the training isn't compulsory for experienced race markers. It's intended to bring people with less (or no) experience into the fold; to clarify what's expected; to help ensure consistency across all the marked races; to try and minimise the likelihood of some of the unfortunate events of the recent winter league and other notable mishaps from happening again. Really to get everyone on the same page - markers and runners alike.
Experienced race markers can still volunteer for the role without doing this training... just don't mess up ;-)
Gordon PlaceApr 11 2019, 10:39amI'm also hoping to improve my course following!
Jeff SwordsApr 11 2019, 10:51amCheers Alan. I'm not listed as a marker on all races I've marked, that should help me cover my tracks and allow plausible deniability in any future enquiry as to missing runners.

@Gordon, good idea for a course following course. Sorta like the driving theory test before you're let out on the hills.
Mikey FryApr 11 2019, 5:39pmI’d say if we mark the coarse with creme eggs it would work Yummly:))
Tanya SheridanMay 3 2019, 11:21amHi all, just a reminder that there are still spots available for the race marking training next Wednesday. A great opportunity to come along, do a race in support of a great cause and then get some volunteer training in.

Thanks all!
Richard LeahyMay 3 2019, 7:32pmHi Tanya, put me down for a slot
Lillian DeeganMay 3 2019, 7:41pmThanks Richard

1. Padraig Doyle
2. Tanya Sheridan
3. Gordon Place
4. Igor Gonzalez-Guridi
5. Maoliosa Mc Hugh
6. Richard Leahy
Peter O'FarrellMay 6 2019, 6:31pmWe'll kick off at 8pm with a quick chat and then we'll get marking a small loop inside the relay course focussing on lefts and rights and straight throughs and what to do when tape isn't enough.

All are welcome.

Assuming Andrew Hanney is amenable to rigging the draw, it will work perfectly to run leg 1 or leg 2 of the Relay before the marking training. The Alzheimer Society of Ireland is a good cause and the more the merrier at the relay.
Andrew HanneyMay 6 2019, 6:58pmDraw rigging? I will check if there’s a good supply of brown envelopes in the race kit. On a serious note, each team can decide which leg for which runner so that should help there.
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 8 2019, 6:44pmHi,
I by mistake volunteered for First Aid for this which obviously does not need a First Aid person. I just saw the 8th May referenced and jumped in, being in a bit of a rush at the time!

I have tried every way to cancel my name as a First Aiuder for this 'event' but have failed. Could someone else please do this for me!!!!!
Maola­osa McHughMay 8 2019, 7:51pmSorry I have to cancel last minute. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Peter O'FarrellMay 8 2019, 10:28pmThanks to all those who came to the race marking this evening.
It's all about following the tape.

Maolaosa, no worries and we can go through it anytime at a race if you wish.

Diarmuid, a likely story ;)
Igor Gonzalez-GuridiMay 9 2019, 7:59amPeter/Alan, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us yesterday.