Irish Mountain
Running Association

Team Ireland - Portugal & France

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganJun 6 2019, 10:23amThis weekend is set to be a busy one all round for IMRA at home and abroad.

We have Richard Nunan away to aid at Miranda do Corva in Portugal for the World Trail Championships. Team Ireland runners are:

MEN
Eoin Lennon, Martin Lynch, Brian Mc Flynn.

WOMEN
Nicola Duncan, Angela Speight, Kelly-Anne Speight.

We have Laura Flynn away to aid at Guerdelan in Brittany for the Interceltic Games. Team Ireland runners are:

MEN
Killian Mooney, Tom Lupton, Ruairi Long.

WOMEN
Deirdre Galvin, Niamh O'Gorman, Elizabeth Wheeler.

With thanks to Laura and Richard for their time, we wish all runners every best wish for their respective event. Where possible, updates will follow through over the weekend from both team managers. Have a great outing everyone.

Committee
Richard NunanJun 7 2019, 9:27pmLink to follow for the 2019 Trail World Championships.

https://trilhos.abutres.net/en/live-results/
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 8 2019, 9:20amBest of luck to all. No doubt they will do us proud.
Leo MahonJun 9 2019, 7:22amFantastic performance by our women's and men's in the Interceltic games
Both teams had podium finishes the women's team took the silver and the men team took the bronze
Lindie NaughtonJun 9 2019, 11:01amInterceltic results - dug these out (not easy!):
Podium du 26km
1 Rob SAMUEL, Pays de Galles 2:00.25, 2 Christian DREAN, Morbihan 2:01.39. 3 Mark HOPKINSON, Pays de Galles 2:02.47.
Irish: 16 Killian Mooney 2:13.15, 30 Thomas Lupton 2:19.44, 55 Ruairi Long 2:28.30. Podium interceltique Hommes
1 Galles, 2 Bretagne, 3 Irlande, 4 Portugal.
Women – 1 Arlette Pichot (Brittany) 2:28.32, 2 Adele le Berre (Brittany) 2:31.52, 3 Melanie Toisoul (Brittany) 2:32.09; Irish - 6 Elizabeth Wheeler 2:42.36, 7 Deirdre Galvin 2:45.04, 16 Niamh O’Gorman 2:58.37.
Teams - 1 Bretagne , 2 Irlande, 3 Galles, 4 Portugal
Overall - Wales, Brittany, Ireland
Team Mangers Laura Flynn was 8th in the 8km in 54.18!
Lindie NaughtonJun 9 2019, 11:43amThese may be the result from the World Trail Running in Portugal;you'd swear they were trying to keep results hidden.
It would appear that Eoin Lennon didn't start; of the men, Brian Flynn was 90th in 4:16.48 and Simon Lynch 154th in 4:36.56. Of the women, Nicola Duncan was 43rd in 5:23.09, Angela Speight 101st in 5:27.59 and Kelly-Anne Speight 128th in 5:45.00. Very provisional.
Winners were Jonathan Albon (GBR) 3:35.35 and Blandine L'Hirondel (FRA) 4:06.18.
Richard NunanJun 9 2019, 12:50pmThanks Lindie, Eoin dropped out at 16km. At the time he was only 6 min off the leaders. He just had no energy from the start.

I had posted similar results on Facebook lastnight on INRA page. USA top runner was about 75th, it was a very tough course, suited fell runners rather than Trail, was the feedback. But very well organised.

France had 1st lady, first Team Male and first Team female. Dominating the champs.
Ruairí LongJun 9 2019, 3:35pmMy Race Report from the Interceltic Trail Race will be up soon. A tough day out, with plenty to take away with me
Lindie NaughtonJun 10 2019, 9:34amThanks guys - needed results for the Fastrunning.com report so went looking. Took quite a while. France looks like fun - a number of different distances to run and a festival including donkey rides...
Lindie NaughtonJun 10 2019, 9:34amThanks guys - needed results for the Fastrunning.com report so went looking. Took quite a while. France looks like fun - a number of different distances to run and a festival including donkey rides...
Laura FlynnJun 13 2019, 5:11pmThanks Lindie and Ruairi for posting results and report. As his report says (you can access on this forum under the event itself) this is truly a gem of an event and I’d urge any of you to make the trip sometime and discover a beautiful unspoilt part of France and a community with a proud Breton heiritage.
The international race was part of a weekend of trail races the shortest of which is 8km (actually turned out to be 9.7k as I discovered to my horror!!) It was a very inclusive and community based event very much like our IMRA model ie extremely professional while almost entirely volunteer driven.
Our women’s team were 2nd in the Interceltic Challenge with Elizabeth Wheeler 6th; Deirdre Galvin 7th , just 2.5 mins behind, and Niamh O’Gorman 16th. This was a really impressive and strong performance. The men were equally strong with 3rd team and 16th place, Killian Mooney; 30th Tom Lupton and 55th Ruairi Long. For the men’s team, I don’t believe their results tell the full story of their courage, grit and determination. Ruairi has already described how he suffered......how he kept going I don’t know but he certainly deserves our huge respect for doing so. Both Killian and Tom were in the top 10 when I met them at the feed station at 17k. Killian shortly afterwards made it up to an unbelievable 4th place but both fell back once the reality of what faced them in the second half kicked in. We had been warned but sometimes you just need to experience it. I think if they all got a chance to run it again next week, they’d do it slightly differently and we’d have even better results, so here’s to next year!!
The generous hospitality of the organisers bears repeating, they couldn’t have done enough for us. The after race party......well maybe that’s a whole report on its own!!! Safe to say that we did Ireland proud with our singing and dancing.
Deirdre GalvinJun 13 2019, 8:58pmI want to second everything that Laura has said, and thank IMRA for the opportunity to be part of such a great experience. Laura did such sterling work all weekend, and my team members contributed enormously to a hugely memorable weekend. Allez les verts!