Irish Mountain
Running Association

Brockagh

AuthorDateMessage
John BellJul 14 2019, 7:56pmI hope you are all looking forward to Brockagh on Wednesday week.

We still need a race marker and a number of volunteers. A few runner volunteers could help with car park marshaling.

I'd be happy to recce with a race marker some morning next week, if someone was unsure of the route or race marking.
John BellJul 14 2019, 7:57pm...some morning next weekend.
John BellJul 18 2019, 2:10pmThe race route both long and short will be the same as previous years. Short course is 5k and takes juniors out onto the open mountain so they get to enjoy the grassy decent. On the long course near the top we will try to mark the path of least resistance through the heather.

We still need a RACE MARKER and more volunteers for this race. Don't be shy.
Brian KitsonJul 18 2019, 5:49pmHi John,

In the hope that a bit of analysis will encourage RDs to put on a shorter courses for J14s.

- 71% of short course runners are aged 14 or younger.
- There is a clear link between course difficulty and participation. The easier short courses this year have had the highest turnouts. Bray Head (2.6km) attracted the highest number with 10x J14s and Tibradden (3.8km) was next with 9x J14s.
- The average finishing time for J14s across all our races this year was 40 minutes. The last J14 finisher took over an hour to complete Sorrell Hill, we have J14 runners taking over 50mins to complete at least two other races this year which the kids and parents have fedback is too long.
- J14s have an average pace of around 8.5min/km in all our LL races (last J14 finisher pace is close to 11mins/km).

I don't know the short course elevation of brockagh, but if it's in line with our other courses it will take on average 45mins to complete and over 50minutes for the slowest J14 to complete. That's a long time to expect a 10 - 12 year old to run.

Any chance you could find a 2-3km course (ideally with a Mr Whippy at the end:) ) to encourage greater J14 participation?
Conor O'FarrellJul 18 2019, 6:07pm@Brian, that sounds like race-marker talk! :-)
Cormac ConroyJul 18 2019, 8:13pmHi John, you can put me down as a 'running' volunteer if that's any help.
Gordon PlaceJul 18 2019, 10:00pmI know the numbers are smaller but with Brockagh being a nice safe route with that lovely grassy descent, if one was to pick a race with a longer short course, giving the older juniors a decent spin, it seems a good choice. Just a thought
John BellJul 18 2019, 11:23pm@Brian, thanks for the analysis of the junior courses. I think that we should be trying to accommodate 10-15 year olds on these short course and that's quite a range. My own son who is 12 would prefer a slightly longer and would like to get on to the mountain rather than turn around at a random junction. Unfortunately Brockagh has 1.7k of forest road before the open mountain. Depending on the number of volunteers that we have, we could start the short course further up the forest road and bring the route to about 4k with less than 180m climb. It will be less technical than bray head and the grass path should be fun.
John BellJul 18 2019, 11:26pm@Cormac, I'll put you down as a running volunteer.Thanks

A few running volunteers can help with car parking marshaling and registration.
Brenda MalleyJul 19 2019, 10:09pmHi John, I’m a very slow F60 runner - around 300% - and I find even the early start at 7.00 leaves me out on the trail too long. I often have to opt for the short course but this means missing the summit and nice downhill stretches. Would I be able to make an  »early - early start » at 6.30 and time myself, so I don’t keep the marshalls and finish line volunteers out too late?
Lillian DeeganJul 20 2019, 12:09am.
Hi Brenda,
Unfortunately self timing is a total no no with IMRA. Our insurance cover does not allow for any self timing runners, long or short course wise.
Brenda MalleyJul 20 2019, 10:46amThanks Lillian. Maybe another option could be considered for future discussion by committee:
- an official earlier start at 6.30 for runners who consistently record over 250%. There are only about 4 or 5 of us. When we set off with the regular early start, it still takes us up to three hours to complete these longer courses, which means marshalls are kept in place late, and descent through forest is in the dark. I’ve been turning round on races this year to just do the short course when I realise I’m going to be too slow. There are a few of us who could benefit from an extra half hour.
Brendan LawlorJul 20 2019, 11:13amHi Brenda

Setting up a second early start would involve considerable extra administration for Race Directors as follows:
- trying to get registration volunteers on site to open registration at 5.30 (getting them onsite for 6 or 6.30 is already very challenging)
- trying to get the route fully marked and marshalled by 6.30, again we are asking these volunteers to be onsite one hour earlier (plus the first aid official)
- further difficulties for race finish officials in trying to sort out early-early starts,early starts and normal starts

Mid week LL races are not meant to take competitors three hours to complete and the Short Course is a very viable option for anyone who is returning from injury, new to hill running and not too sure how slow they may be or anyone expecting to be especially slow.

But thats just my opinion, lets see what the committee thinks..
Henny BrandsmaJul 20 2019, 3:19pmHi John, if you still short of helpers for Wednesday, I could give a hand, maybe the junior turn on Brockagh East,would suit me, unfortunately marking the whole course is a wee bit to long, although I don't mind marking the part op to Brockagh East if that is to any help.
Regards Henny, phone contact 087-7604825.
Brenda MalleyJul 20 2019, 4:46pmThanks Brendan, I can fully understand all that, which is why I had hoped to be able to just slip off early with no fuss - but that has insurance complications. Happy to stick to short course for these longer races.
John BellJul 21 2019, 9:22pmTo the volunteers who have signed up so far. Thank you.
I have sent you an email to figure out roles for the night.
John BellJul 21 2019, 9:26pmWe are still looking for a race marker and a few more volunteers. 2/3 running volunteers would be a help with car park marshaling or registration.
Miriam MaherJul 21 2019, 10:10pmJohn, count in my 12yr to help out - not fussed about running but happy to help out as needs be around the start or finish line.
Peter BellJul 22 2019, 10:29amPut my name down for race marker, will do it Tuesday evening. I plan on running so if theres anyone who wants to demark after it would be great.
Brian FureyJul 22 2019, 1:28pmI will demark it.

Note there Peter - there was a section last year with 6 foot high bracken so you might want to bring a spade or slashhook to make a path.
Jarlath HynesJul 22 2019, 2:51pmPeter, I can help on Tues evening if that suits.
087 681 2270
Peter BellJul 22 2019, 8:58pmHi Brian thanks for that, nice one. John was up with the garden sheers yesterday copping away, so hopefully hes done a good job and going by his back garden I doubt it. ;)
Jarlath me and John are both heading up tomorrow eve for 7.45 to mark. Your more than welcome to join us if u fancy the run.
John BellJul 22 2019, 11:57pm@ Volunteers. Thanks for signing up. I have sent you all an email with a plan for the evening. If you can aim to be at the field opposite the Brockagh Centre for just before 6 that would be great. See you then. John

Miriam, your 12 year old can certainly help at registration and the finish line. Thanks.
Jarlath HynesJul 23 2019, 10:59amPeter/John, sounds like you're sorted, I'll leave you to it.
Hopefully I'll get to down to run tomorrow evening.
Sinéad LambeJul 23 2019, 10:07pmHi John/Robert,

Have just registered for IMRA membership and purchased race vouchers online tonight.

Am hoping to do my first IMRA race tomorrow at Brockagh. Just confirming would it be ok for me to race tomorrow evening or do I need await vouchers to be posted out etc?

Thanks,
Sinead
Jason DowlingJul 23 2019, 10:54pmHi Sinead,

You should've received an e-mail with a purchase number on it for your vouchers. Bring this e-mail with you to the race tomorrow night and show it to the volunteers at registration to collect your vouchers. Try and download the mail to your phone before heading off to the race just in case there's no coverage (makes things a lot simpler at registration).

Hope that helps,
Jason.
John BellJul 23 2019, 11:27pmJunior course is an out and back route just under 4k. There will be a marshal at the turn around location. We will start the juniors shortly after the main field. The junior start line will be a short walk a couple of hundred meters up the track. Thus is to shorten the long forest road and so the course gets onto to the open mountain....and no Mikey, we are not doing the same for the long course. You can suffer the forest road.

Hope to see plenty of juniors.
Jean O'NeillJul 23 2019, 11:32pmI'm doing the short course, my injury-ridden body can't cope with the long! Will this count towards my 10 races? Also, I'd be happy to volunteer if you're still in need, though prob not there by 6.
Jean O'NeillJul 23 2019, 11:35pmI could help with First Aid, I've done the course.
Lillian DeeganJul 23 2019, 11:47pmFirst aid officer needs to be a non-runner I’m afraid Jean. I think John is sorted for a FAO looking at the helper list there. Thanks all the same for offering.

And yes, the short course will count as one of the 10 races for year end prizes.
Caoimhin MacMaolainJul 24 2019, 10:47pmThanks very much to John Bell and his volunteers for a great run tonight on Brockagh. Superb course, really well marked and marshalled and the whole race was brilliantly organised.
Jenny Uí ShéJul 24 2019, 11:07pmHi John Thankyou
For this evening . How long was the junior course
Do you know? 4km? 5km?
Thanks
Jenny
Dave DochertyJul 24 2019, 11:47pmCheers John and gang for a very enjoyable and tough race. Great chats in the pub. And well done on the speedy race results.
John BellJul 25 2019, 12:06amThank you to all of our volunteers tonight for helping to put on another successful IMRA event. We were lucky to have the A-team on the laptop - with results up before most of us left the pub! Special thanks to Lillian for all the behind the scenes work and to Brian Furey who stepped in at the last second to help marshal the junior turnaround and then proceeded to demark the course.

Congratulations to winners on the night. There were some fantastic times tonight, but none better than our (just turned) M70 winner Diarmuid O'Colmain :-)
John BellJul 25 2019, 12:06amThank you to all of our volunteers tonight for helping to put on another successful IMRA event. We were lucky to have the A-team on the laptop - with results up before most of us left the pub! Special thanks to Lillian for all the behind the scenes work and to Brian Furey who stepped in at the last second to help marshal the junior turnaround and then proceeded to demark the course.

Congratulations to winners on the night. There were some fantastic times tonight, but none better than our (just turned) M70 winner Diarmuid O'Colmain :-)
Mary CollinsJul 25 2019, 8:55amThanks John and all your volunteers for event last night. Vey well organised. Special thanks to the brave, smiling marshals who had to stand in one spot and be tortured by the flies!!
John CondonJul 25 2019, 8:56amThanks to John and all volunteers for a great race. What a route!
Shane O'MalleyJul 25 2019, 9:39amThanks to everyone for an absolutely fantastic race. Not quite sure what the change was over last years uphill but seemed to make a big difference and setup a downhill that i will remember for a long time.

Marking was great, marshals at all the right spots and results up quickly. A great example of volunteerism in Ireland.
Warren SwordsJul 25 2019, 10:06amThanks to John and all the volunteers. Great race and so well marked.

Such a fantastic route and the descent is grassy heaven. If anyone happens to have found/find a single black car key, that’ll be mine. Managed to get spare key dropped down. Perhaps I should use the key bag next time!
Conor O'FarrellJul 25 2019, 11:38amHi All

Results were promptly uploaded last night thanks to Karen and Jesko on laptop.

Any queries, please email to results@imra.ie.

Thanks
Con
Laura FlynnJul 25 2019, 2:21pmThanks to John and all your helpers for last night's race. John Sheil's brilliant photo's really capture the joy of running that beautiful descent.I think everyone was delighted to see the Diarmuid Ó Colmáin take the over 70 prize on his 70th birthday...congratulations Diarmuid.
Alan AylingJul 25 2019, 2:55pmGrand oul' race, very enjoyable, fierce hard to get a pint in Lynhams though... prizegiving on the green with a few tins next year? ;-)
Mick HanneyJul 25 2019, 3:28pmA brilliant evening on Brockagh. Thanks to John and all the volunteers. Curses to Alan Ayling for staying 6s out of reach on the way down. A grand old tussle and very enjoyable.

Some nice strava times set. Nice one Warren for that descent! Luke must have taken a break with most of the work done on the ascent :-)
Pádraig DoyleJul 25 2019, 6:12pmGood craic alright. Thanks very much John and the Brockagh Band. Thanks Luke for "recalibrating" our percentages! Brilliant running.

Conditions couldn't have been any better for thundering down that grassy slope. I managed a fairly restrained gambol la-la-la all the way down, meself. But there was some thundering, by all accounts! Well done to all the thundering... the thunderers.
P.
Laura FlynnJul 27 2019, 8:25pmI’m replying to this issue raised by Brenda here as this is where it was raised. We discussed the possibility of an earlier early start at our recent committee meeting and the committee have agreed with Lillian’s reply and explanation Brenda so we don’t think a 6.30 start is workable at the moment. This may change and future committees may have different views and be able to accommodate it. However, we can confirm that the early start course will count for completion of the league. Also, if there is no winner in a particular age group on the long course, that prize will go to the winner in that age group in the short course.
Hilary JenkinsonJul 29 2019, 12:29pmHi John Would it be possible to put me in the results. I finished about 5 seconds after Brendan Lawlor. I know i didn't have my timing chip but promise to have it for next race. Pretty please :-)
John BellJul 30 2019, 1:48pmHi Hilary, very sorry to say that we cannot add you to the finishers results. No chip no result has been well flagged. There have been a number of dnfs for the same reason on other races and it would be unfair to fix your result and not others, which is not practical.
Hilary JenkinsonAug 1 2019, 3:12pmNo problem John. Hadn't been reading forums. Totally understand.