Irish Mountain
Running Association

Double Wicklow Round 2.0

AuthorDateMessage
John MurrayAug 2 2019, 12:50pmI'm going again...starting Midnight tonight!!!

Take this as my formal announcement of my attempt at the Wicklow Round.

Tracker link:
http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowrounddouble19/
Mikey FryAug 2 2019, 1:04pmGood luck John hope the weather is nice to you :)
Richard NunanAug 2 2019, 1:48pmThanks for the announcement John, and best of luck out there, Good temperatures for it, hope the rain plays fair !
Lillian DeeganAug 2 2019, 2:16pm.
Well fair play JM, your as good as your word. Great seeing notice go up. Every best wish to you and the crew with the attempts :)
Robert CarneyAug 2 2019, 5:46pmHup out of that.
Best of luck.
I'll try'n make it up tommorrow night with the stove and a few tea bags.
Weather looks good.
All the best John.
Paddy O'LearyAug 2 2019, 6:30pmFair play to you, lad. Hoping the weather behaves and someone's out there with the strimmers on the route. Excited for a fun weekend of dot-watching ahead.
Shane LynchAug 3 2019, 3:17pmGood luck John - from the tracking you seem to be making good progress.
Richard NunanAug 5 2019, 7:47pmHi John,

Congrats on completing the wicklow round for the 2nd time, I have you in at 23hrs 41min once you send in your splits we can validate the same.

I think your plan was to do 2 rounds sequentially ( A double round) As you know the wicklow round is a "looped course covering 26 peaks totaling over 100K and over 6,000M climb inside 24 hours"

Your second loop on this occasion wont be recorded as it was outside the 24hours.

From the trackers, I think you were somewhere between 37 and 41 hours, depending on what time you recorded the start of your second loop.

65 hours is a long time to be on the hills, i hope you enjoyed the experience and well done to you, your perseverance and your absolutely amazing crew.

Rest and recover well!
Conor O'FarrellAug 5 2019, 8:16pmCongratulations John

2 rounds in as many months is a monster effort. 65 hours out on the hills over this past weekend is some feat, with the mixture of weather we've had.

Delighted for you and what you have achieved.

Con
Shane LynchAug 6 2019, 8:28pmWell done John, that’s some achievement!
John MurrayAug 20 2019, 7:01pm--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the comments ladies & gents. Just back from a 2 week relaxing holiday and still not fully recovered! Serious lack of energy, constant pins & needles in my toes and a tongue that feels like sandpaper! Will be some time before I'm back to normal...whatever normal is! :)

Richard -
No, my intention was to complete a Double Wicklow Round in similar fashion to Double Rounds being done in the UK, i.e. two consecutive loops back-to-back. I am fully aware of the Wicklow Round Rules, but thanks for stating them so quickly after I finished! :p I'm also fully aware that IMRA do not recognise or record Double Rounds as this was made clear to me from the beginning months ago, but my intention was always to be the first person to complete two loops back-to-back. Yes, the first was always going to be done within the 24hrs (just so something would be recorded for my efforts lol) but the second loop was an unknown as nobody had ever to my knowledge or to the knowledge of those in the know attempted going around twice!

If I'm honest, in my planning I naively thought 2 loops under 48hrs might be possible but that was quickly knocked on the head and completion of two loops was the aim and thereby setting a new Benchmark time for anyone else to beat. I think even the best runners in the country would struggle to get in under 48hrs! Maybe they should quit running their mouths and go give it a lash! :p

Just for comparison...Nicky Spinks did the Paddy Buckley Round in 19hrs:39min....to do the double took her 56hrs:56mins! And she had pacers, people showing her the way, carrying her bags etc. lol

65hrs 07mins 34secs is what it took me...a middle of the pack runner. I could probably knock 6-8hrs off that time if I was to go earlier in the year and avoid the growth. But I didn't want to have to wait another year. It was killer this time round compared to the attempt 8 weeks earlier and the growth sapped a lot of energy from me even on the first loop. I barely ate anything on the first loop as I was vomiting constantly and at Sheepsbank I was throwing in the towel. If it wasn't for Liam Vines giving me a pep talk here I would never of finished the first loop never mind going again for another 40+ hours! Thank again Liam! ;)

It was an epic weekend shared with great friends, one I'll remember for a very long time! I'll write up a full report at some stage once I get my energy back! lol

My splits for the first loop are in the post Richard! :)

So who's up next? I've already heard of a couple of people contemplating it...:)

--------------------------------------------------------
Thomas RocheAug 26 2019, 4:52pmwell done again John and it was great to be apart of it looking forward to your report now ;)