Irish Mountain
Running Association

Biodegradable Marking/Flagging Tape

AuthorDateMessage
Gordon PlaceDec 9 2019, 3:19pmHi Comittee,

Is there anything to be said for biodegradable marking tape, following on MMRA's commitment to lowering our footprint going forward? It'll still takes at least 6 months to breakdown so won't evaporate before a race is finished and I am not suggesting we leave it out there either. I know the marking procedures advises against reusing old tape, which is a PITA to do anyway, but have still tried the couple of times I've marked/demarked as hate tearing off reams and dumping a bin bag full after a race. Was reminded again with the upcoming Remberance race.

I'm sure there's a stockpile of the old red and white to be used up first but maybe when reordering, an alternative could be considered? You won't get the usual red and white, it will be single colour but I don't think that is a deal breaker.

Sorry if it's already on the agenda.
Angela FlynnDec 10 2019, 11:26amHi Gordon
Thank you for your timely observations. This issue is on the agenda for tonights committe meeting. will advise
Gordon PlaceDec 10 2019, 11:29amThanks Angela & Commitee
Val JonesDec 10 2019, 1:23pmI wouldn't have thought the Remembrance race needed any marking since it's the classic Earls Drive route and more of an informal celebratory run
Gordon PlaceDec 10 2019, 2:01pmHi Val,
We managed to lose the leader a couple of years ago and there is at least one junction very early on in need of a sign. I suppose not everyone knows the classic route and quite a few turn up to race
Warren SwordsDec 10 2019, 3:33pmGreat suggestion Gordon.

The markings used by the Eco Trail race in September looked to be pretty sturdy for repeated use and were branded.

I think part of the problem with people removing tape from courses prior to race is due to how ugly it is to see plastic hanging from trees.

In that sense, marking courses the night before a race should be discouraged where possible and demarked immediately after the race.