Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round attempt.

AuthorDateMessage
Brian KitsonDec 19 2020, 12:10pmThey say that the best way to make God laugh is to tell him your plans.

Well, laugh it up big man because here's official notification of my planned Wicklow Round attempt starting at 7pm Sunday 20.12.20.

I'll be going solo but will be supported at the checkpoints by a team of hardy crew.

The timing is to coincide with the Winter Solstice and with some luck I might get to spot the great conjunction. The weather forecast is looking good and, as we all know, the Wicklow mountains are famed for their consistent and predictable nature.

Looking forward to the adventure.

Brian
Robert CostelloDec 19 2020, 1:47pmThis is going to be epic...
Gordon PlaceDec 19 2020, 2:48pmBest of Luck Brian!
Lillian DeeganDec 19 2020, 3:58pmDelighted to see your news pop up Brian - fair play! Wishing you and your trusty crew all the very best with the solo attempt. Let’s hope the weather is somewhat kind to you.

Good luck!
Thomas RocheDec 19 2020, 5:39pmBest of luck Brian, ill be glued to the screen dot watching
Luke RaffertyDec 19 2020, 5:53pmBest of luck Brian, the weather looks good. Hope to see you out there at one of your check points.
James ClancyDec 19 2020, 5:55pmBrian,
Amazing news!!
The very best of luck with it all 'Rip it up'... !!
Hope all goes so well for you.
Brendan LawlorDec 19 2020, 7:32pmBest of luck Brian.. will be watching the dot !
Peter BellDec 19 2020, 10:00pmWinter Solstice Round, fair play Brian. Good luck!
Alice ClancyDec 20 2020, 12:32pmBrilliant news Brian! Best of luck with it! And looking forward to reading the race report after....something tells me it’ll be epic.
Stephen BrennanDec 20 2020, 4:07pmAll the best Brian. Fair dues.
Paul MahonDec 20 2020, 8:17pmBest of luck out there Brian
John MollohanDec 20 2020, 10:10pmI really hope yez can make this Brian, and crew. Go on, go on, go on....
Graham K. BusheDec 21 2020, 10:24amHard luck Brian. I'm sure you will be dissapointed, but given the awful conditions, it was the right call (which isn't always the easiest) You have put a lot of work into it and seeing you through Ballinagee was testament to that. I'm sure you'll have another crack at it in time.
Brian KitsonDec 21 2020, 5:56pmI wanted an adventure and to see how I'd measure up in extreme conditions and my Round attempt certainly didn't disappoint on either front.

I was thoroughly enjoying the physical and intellectual challenge of making my way around even as the relatively nice night began to turn gnarly. However, as the conditions worsened, I realised that I was losing time and wasn't navigating efficiently enough to maintain pace and stay warm. I felt that the risk to my personal safety was becoming too great and I decided to abandon my attempt after Lug. When I thought of the poor divil who might be called from their warm bed to search for me if I pressed on and got into trouble my decision was a relatively easy one to make.

There is no doubt that completing a winter Wicklow Round has to go down as one of the great feats of adventuring on these islands. My admiration for those who've done it has only grown.

I desperately wanted to get it done...I gave it a good go but some days you win, some days you learn.

Thanks to all for the messages; they meant a lot to me.

Three Wicklow Round attempts; Wicklow Round 2 - Kitson 1.
Laura FlynnDec 21 2020, 7:06pmWell done Brian, it was a brave effort at this time of year.
Eoin KellyDec 21 2020, 7:22pmVery impressed that anyone would take on that challenge in the winter, was watching the dot last night. Well done for starting, and for getting so far around it. Inspirational stuff.
Dermot shielsDec 23 2020, 12:35pmI was camping at lough Firrib on Friday night with some friends and the conditions were brutal. I was just thinking how tough a Winter Round attempt would be in those conditions. Brilliant effort. Better luck next time.