Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow round Saturday 19th June

AuthorDateMessage
Brian FureyJun 11 2021, 12:41pmHi
Weather permitting I may move by a day or two. I'm going to attempt the Wicklow round on Saturday 19th June starting at 4am.

Thanks
Brian
Lillian DeeganJun 11 2021, 12:43pmGood man young Furey. Every best wish with your attempt.
Graham K. BusheJun 11 2021, 12:55pmBest of luck Brian, Hope it goes well and the weather holds out.
Gordon PlaceJun 11 2021, 1:02pmBest of Luck Brian!
Brendan LawlorJun 11 2021, 1:06pmWow.. its the year of the Wicklow Round, no doubt about that

Best of luck to Brian, Brendan and David and to everyone heading out this weekend too.. another two weekends on Facebook coming up!
Thomas RocheJun 11 2021, 2:42pmGood luck Brian, fingers crossed for the weather
Ivana KolaricJun 11 2021, 6:14pmBest of luck Brian. :) Hope it all goes well and the weather holds out.
Laura FlynnJun 11 2021, 9:06pmGood to hear Brian. Hope it goes well for you.
John CostiganJun 12 2021, 7:08amBest of luck Brian.
Stephen BrennanJun 14 2021, 10:54pmAll the best Brian.
Peter BellJun 15 2021, 7:28amGood luck Brian. I think this is going to be a fast one! Looking forward it. Enjoy.
David DunneJun 17 2021, 1:15pmBest of Luck Brian
Conor MurphyJun 17 2021, 10:49pmGood luck Brian, hope the weather plays ball...
Ciaran CrokeJun 18 2021, 9:10amGood luck Brian.
Robert CostelloJun 20 2021, 8:19amCongratulations Brian. Fastest so far in 2021.
John MollohanJun 20 2021, 9:03amCongratulations Brian. Well done. Top of the pile!
Stephen BrennanJun 20 2021, 9:56amCongratulations Brian. You must have been on a different course :) Fantastic.
Richard NunanJun 20 2021, 10:11amWell done Brian, cracking morning run for you. 18:37:30 is a great time! Savage effort which was pretty evident at the Gate. Well done also to your great crew!
Brian FureyJun 20 2021, 11:05amThanks all.

I'll write a report for it if anyone would be interested.

It was an epic days adventure. I had a super crew all day long..Ciara, Peter O Farrell, James Tucker, Peter Gorman, Brendan Delaney and Dave Power were so good for me all day, going to great lengths to ensure my journey was smooth. Thanks Richard for organising the tracker. Others along the way were great and the fact there was 6 people out doing the round at relatively same time made for great atmosphere.

Well done to Graham, Ciaran and the 2 lads David and Brendan for completing the challenge yesterday as well.

@ Stephen Brennan it was definitely same course(or similar!) although state of repair of my brain and legs dictated which way at times! Sometimes not the right way! Well done to you on completing the round and enduring it! You did brilliantly.

Also just to mention well done Ivana on new women record, Robert Costello ( I was delighted you for that you got under the 24 hours), John Bell on a nice 19 hours and John Mollhan/Rory Campbell on a very strong effort.
Brian FureyJun 21 2021, 8:39pmSplits for the Round:

Brian Furey

Start 04:00
Kippure 04:32
Carrigvore 05:20
Gravale 05:36
Duff Hill 05:48
East Top 06:08
Mullaghcleevaun 06:16
Moanbane 06:48
Silsean 07:00
Oakwood 08:15
Table Mountain 08:59
Camenabologue 09:11
Lugnaquilla 09:55
Corrigasleggaun 10:07
Carrawaystick 10:23
Drumgoff 10:59
Mullacor 12:03
Derrybawn 12:39
Camaderry 13:56
Tonelagee 15:10
Scarr 16:20
Knocknacloghoge 17:40
Lugalla 18:16
Djouce 19:32
War Hill 19:48
Tonduff North 20:17
Prince Williams Seat 21:57
Knocknagun 22:09
Finish 22:37:30
Brian FureyJun 26 2021, 11:23amThat was a tough but epic day out! Completed the Wicklow Round challenge in 18 hr 37:30 after an epic days adventure in the
Wicklow hills.
Ive been preparing to do a Round now for 18 months or so - on and off with Covid lockdowns. I had hoped to do it last summer in 2020
but did some other races instead. In hindsight Im glad I didnt do it then as didnt know the course as well then as I did this summer.

My longest run before starting training for this WR had been about 5hrs 15.
I enjoyed alot of the recces I did for this Wicklow round. It takes you off the beaten track in places like Tonduff, Glenmalure, Scarr,
Wicklow West. For recces on the round - you can't beat East West maps - they're brilliant and show alot of sheep tracks and details as well.
Longest run leading up to the Round was 30 miles around Glendalough and Glenmalure. I did a good bit of prep and making sure I had decent route options
for the round. My navigation skills have improved immeasurably after all this - I did all my recces with just map and compass. Ciara has been great
in helping me improve on the navigation.
I avoided any dependency on GPS watch for following GPS tracks. I wouldn't have that option on the day so better to avoid. Strava was helpful as well,as you get good ideas for different routes. You have to find what works for you though, one man's fast route is another man's slow route
..and vice versa!

Prep Wise for Round:
I had been holding off in doing the round until the ground dried up a bit - as it was wet enough in May. I sprained the ankle also
towards the end of May so wanted 3-4 weeks for that to become strong enough. I settled on Sat 19th June as seemed there might be a run on trackers!
Watching long term weather - they predicted a fine day but showers during day. I figured if it was a good weather day to start with -
I could handle a few showers of rain coming from west the of Ireland and all.

I got together a great support crew of Ciara, James Tucker, Peter Gorman, Brendan Delaney, Peter O'Farrell and David Power.

Start time was set as 4.00 am on Sat 19th June. I had the Friday off to do final prep which was just as well.
Got up Saturday morning 2.30 am. Had some bit of porridge, coffee, water.
Ciara dropped me up to the barrier, I set off at 4.00.55 possibly - as I stopped and started the tracker twice to make sure
it worked then off I went.
Peter O'Farrell supported me at the earlier stops. I ticked off the early peaks easily enough to Ballinagee Bridge.
From Silsean down to Ballinagee bridge - it had been a while since I was over there.
I jumped out onto the road and over a fence into the field. Farmhouse on the left. Took me a minute or 2 to find the track which leads down
to Ballinagee bridge. I took a bearing and then could see the gate - then knew straight through that and down to the road on a grassy wet track.

Out on to the road and over to Ballinagee bridge - I met Peter there. He told me I was flying! I said I felt I was working a bit hard.
I got some coffee and coke and a banana off Peter and he had a great selection of different options. Midges were swarming both of us so
I didnt wait too long.
He did mention the body clock wouldnt be used to running that early in the morning so thats why I wouldn't be feeling great -
and I think he was right.
I headed up Oakwood. I had a bit of lowpoint here, lost some time as I slowed. - I took on more gels - and realised I was over 3 hours in now and
I have to keep the food ticking over. The gels definitely started working and got back into a rhythm. In retrospect - some snickers bars might
have been better choice as more solid on the stomach.
I hit Oakwood fine - and then headed for 3 Lakes and Table Mountain. I forgot (or didnt bother) to take a bearing for 3 Lakes from Oakwood.
I regretted this as I ended up too far right of 3 Lakes - that I couldnt see it either. I could see Arts cross to my right - and some steep downhill,
also could see long ridge line way over to my left. I decided to take a bearing directly to Table Mtn -
this meant a beeline for the ridge line over to the left- up the middle of it.
As I climbed up to it - I could then see 3 Lakes down below me to my left down on the flat section which was reassuring. I didn't have to
visit 3 Lakes so that was ok. I hit Table Mountain bang on - didnt lose too much time - maybe 5 mins.
From Table to Lugnacoille its straight forward with a track all the way. It goes over Cannow as well on the way.

Climb up Lug felt long. Over 5.5 hours in now - I did a run walk strategy up Lug when I could which worked well. Got to Lugnacoille -
was going to take a bearing - but I could see the line clearly as it was a great clear day so
just headed for it - round the corner and down toward Clohernagh, take a right to Corrigasleggaun. Climb up to C'sleggaun then from there
down towards Carraystick.
I was cautious here - I took a bearing to Carraystick - as I have ended up on Slieve Mann once on a recce. Its easy done.
I hit the Carraystick crash site marker fine. I followed the track down off Carraystick - I didnt take a bearing off Carraywaystick which was a mistake.
Path is twisty and windy - path got faint and I stopped - took a minute or 2 to relocate and ensure I was on the right path. I had been
going in the right direction and on right path in the first place.
Took the bearing and headed for the forest edge. Down on to the fireroad and left and down to Drumgoff. The day was starting to heat up now.
It was approachig 11am.

The Crew were waiting patiently for me. At this point I doing well time wise - but stomach was not great. I was feeling nauceous. I still
managed half a sandwich, a banana and some coke. Ciara, Brendan, James and Peter rallied my spirits and I headed for Glendalough.
Mullacor was fine albeit a bit slow. I headed for Derrybawn - and even though I knew I had to turn left at the stile, I somehow ran by it.
I jumped the fence and took a shortcut across the gorse onto the Derrybawn ridge. Kicking myself to lose a few mins - not too worry -
I flew down the descent to Glendalough - its a lovely descent. Made the most of it.

I met Ciara and Brendan in Glendalough and downed 500m of Coca Cola straight off. Weather was really warming up now. Glad of having the spec cap. I
didnt delay too much and headed for Camaderry. The straight path up Camaderry is a beast of climb. Id slowed alot at this stage now - feet were
hurting bad. Camaderry East, Camaderry then over to Turlough hill. I went around to the right of the Power station - Plan was down the fireroad.
Feet very sore - I decided to cut down through the rough stuff. It seemed to go on for longer than I expected but eventually
I got out on to the fireroad, cut the fireroad twice more and got down to Wicklow gap.

Met the crew here again. I got shoes and socks changed here. That helped alot. Right shin was killing me and
all way up front of foot toward my knee. It was swelled up. Id been wearing tight strapping on my ankles and calf sleeves over that up to this point
This had caused the swelling on my right foot due to the restriction it caused. More Coca Cola - was a saviour on the day.
Brendan mentioned Dick Hooper used to use it for marathons -
I got a bladder of coke filled by my crew team as well before I went - instead of water. WIth the heat this worked well -
also as I wasnt able to eat a whole lot so was energy replacement.
I headed up Tonelagee - climbs were fine I was enjoying them.
Descended off towards Glenmacnass, fast as I could. I made sure not to go too far right here and end up in Brockagh,
possibly lost a minute here as should have stayed on the track to the mini summit on way down but ended up on rough stuff.

Got down to Bottom of Scarr. Met the crew at Glenmacnass - Ciara massaged out my shin. There was a big lump on it.
The crew were great and so encouraging. Tom Roche and John Murray were really helpful here too. I got a painkiller off Peter Gorman as well
which did help. I was thinking if I can get to Sheepsbank bridge I can do it - as im back on familiar ground then. The hours tick by on a challenge
like this- it was past 3pm now.

I headed for Scarr - used a run walk up Scarr - mainly walk. Up to the peak - from there I was taking 10 - 20 degrees off it to hit Lough Tay
via some farmers fields. Unfortunately i got a slow line down off it - it
wasnt wrong - I just got bad ground which was slow going. Got down the valley then up and over to the right - I decided to drop straight down into
Lough tay area instead of the long path off to the right. This was ok - a bit rough, but less running.

Over to the S-bend stream at the foot of Knocknaclogoge- I bumped into Pol O'Murchu here who provided some encouragment. Up Knocknaclogoge -
first path is real steep rock climbing. I actually like Knocknaclogoge and Luggala - I got some deer path up through the high heather to K'clogoge.
Over to Luggala- got a good line up Luggala - must be first time ever.
From here - I took the cliff path to the left off Luggala - with the Guinness Lake and House way down below to the right - I
ran it as there was a decent path.
I contoured around and got up to Sheepsbank bridge. That last section had gone alot better since Glenmacnass. I was starting to get my rhythm back.

Sheepsbank bridge - There was a big crowd here as Ciaran Croke and Graham Bushe had just gone through, with cowbells going off.
My crew were waiting - stopped briefly, Dave Power had joined.
Got some lucozade which was lovely. Then got going for Djouce. I got up to Djouce relatively ok - not a runnable climb though on rough ground,
some cloud cover came down and went as I got to the top. I ran for War Hill and reached it easily enough.
I took the track over to the saddle of Tonduff - it was evening time now, nice breeze - it wasnt as hot. I could see
2 mountain bikers climbing the grassy plains up to Tonduff ahead of me in the evening sun. I reached Tonduff North via Tonduff South.
Tonduff North just a peak hag with a stone carn built on it.
I took a bearing of 10 degrees off Tonduff - but for whatever reason - maybe tiredness I ended up going way too far left.
Needle on compass had also been bouncing around a bit so I should have let it settle.

I knew the terrain well so I was able to drop over to where I should have been and down to the forest wall - at the top of Ballyross Woods.
I jumped the wall and ran down through the forest and out the barrier at Ballyross woods. I had stones in my left shoe which was killing me
when on fireroads or hard surface so Peter Gorman and Ciara helped me remove shoe and clear shoe and sock out.
that cleared most of them but not all.
I got across Oak Glen/Millenium Forest fine - and over to base of Cloon Wood. It was dusk now and I was tired and keen to finish it out.
Ciara gave me headtorch here. I hit a dead end going up the track I thought I should have been going up in Cloon Wood. I went up to the
left of the stream, back down then up to the right of the stream and no go. I was panicking a bit now - until I looked at the map and decided
to go back down the fireroad and up around the switchback. This cost me probably an extra km or more - but it was a safe option as I knew the rest.
I got onto the top path from here which took me out onto Prince Williams Seat.

The end was near now and I didnt want to mess it up any further so was on high alert and also I was looking at the watch hoping to keep it sub 19 hours. I got over to Prince Williams Seat - then down to the track and up to Knocknagun. I was motoring now. A heavy mist had come down
at this stage, it was past 10pm, darkness was falling.
I took a bearing off Knocknagun towards Glendoo direction just in case. I could have gone OldBoleys way - but opted for Glendoo path.
I knew the path and had ran this route a good few times with James Tucker. Over this bouncy bog track I went - it goes down and then up - and then on to a flat section. My marker I was looking for (a kettle) to turn left
- took a while to appear but it came! I was panicking a bit when not seeing it earlier, contemplating just going cross country.
I jumped left from the track where kettle was located on to a next track that take you down to the military road.
It did the job and I climbed out onto the road and headed right for the Kippure barrier. I had a head torch on by this stage which helped. I couldnt see any people or lights in distance yet - but ran up the road - keeping in for a few
passing cars - including a guy in a van (crew for one of the other teams) who was shouting encouragement at me as he passed. Finally all the people came into sight - Ciara, Peter O'Farrell, Richard Nunan, James, Peter Gorman, Dave Power (who had done a group run from Glenmalure to
Dublin that day over Wicklow Way!). Round the final bend. I touched the barrier without delay - what a great feeling of relief to complete it.

Final time - 18 hrs and 37 mins 30 seconds. Photos, congratulations, hugs, handshakes - Happy days.
It takes a village. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Laura FlynnJun 26 2021, 6:42pmFantastic achievement Brian and that’s a great read.
Well done on pulling it off, though it was never in doubt really.
Pól Ó MurchúJun 28 2021, 2:19pmGreat read Brian! Well done again!
Conor O NeillJun 28 2021, 4:10pmGreat report Brian. Thanks for sharing and well done

Conor
Thomas RocheJun 29 2021, 6:02pmGreat report Brian and well done again