Irish Mountain
Running Association

Annacurra

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyJan 4 2023, 2:22pmRace details added including information on long and short course options. This is a challenging but varied course. Hopefully we'll see many of you down to try it out. Annacurra is c. 1 hr drive from Loughlinstown. Car pooling with a pal or a running adversary encouraged.
Mick HanneyJan 22 2023, 9:46pmEarly days yet but I'd appreciate interest from people in any of the volunteering spots for this race. I'll need a few marshals for the route as well as the usual, mandatory, laptop and first aiders.

We have a great route in store for runners. The location is fairly unique in that we have the parking, registration, start/finish line, pub all in the one location - a ready made event location. And a playground for any younger kiddies!

Question is who will add themselves to the roll of honour for this event, which is back after a few years break.

Previous winners - men
2015 Conor O'Keeffe
2014 Jerome Dupuy
2013 Des Kennedy
2010 Jason Reid
2009 Eoin Keith

Previous winners - women
2015 Niamh O'Boyle
2014 Moire O'Sullivan
2013 Becky Quinn
2010 Karen O'Hanlon
2009 Mary Synott-Wells
Mick HanneyJan 27 2023, 5:37pmI noticed Coillte felling in the area where I intended to use for race. I'll keep a close eye on it and worse case scenario it might need a re-route slightly from original plans. I'll update as required.
Mick HanneyFeb 12 2023, 7:25pmCoillte have been busy working away in Annacurra, but they finish this week, so I'll do a route check and update the details as required. The overall distance and elevation will not change that much.

A few more volunteers esp. a laptop operator would be welcome.

Its 8 years since we had our last race here (and don't make the easy mistake of thinking this is Annagh Hill, thats 10 minutes down the road.

For those thinking of heading down, we have a nice set-up for a race, with everything you need, at hand.
- Hall (with loos) for registration
- car park (plase consider car pooling if coming down from Dublin).
- start/finish line,
- the obligatory river
- Pub (for post race chats)
- A collectoin of trails (Ciaran Shannon walk) for warm-up &
- for those of you with little ones, there is a playground at the start/finish line.
Mick HanneyFeb 13 2023, 9:29pmIf there is any interest I'd be happy to guide a recce around the Annacurra route this Saturday at 9.30.
Mick HanneyFeb 16 2023, 5:26pmRe-posting this in the forum, even through it is in the Race Details.

In order to be in the Results, you need to get your 'chip' scanned at the laptop. No scan / no result.

So. When you arrive in the hall to register - please sign-in first, then collect your race number (if you don't have it already for 2023)r, then proceed to the laptop desk to get your chip registered and scanned.
Mick HanneyFeb 17 2023, 9:25amReminder I’ll be doing a very easy run around route in the morning at 9:30
Mick HanneyFeb 17 2023, 7:05pmWhile we are still a few weeks away I'd appreciate if we could get anymore volunteer spots filled. Running and non-running and, in particular, laptop.

Thanks to those who already put their names forward and to my sons who have also 'volunteered' to help :-)
Richard FoxFeb 17 2023, 7:30pmHappy to do running volunteer Mick.
Cheers
foxy
Mick HanneyFeb 17 2023, 7:54pmThanks Foxy - I'll monitor your progress to ensure you run it all ;-)
Richard FoxFeb 18 2023, 11:59amGreat recce this morning Mick thanks. It’s a brilliant track with something for everyone inc nice elevation, lovely forest tracks, magnificent views and an amazing last couple of k downhill to finish which should whet the appetite of the speedy speedsters. The set up of parking, registration, start, finish and presentation within a radius of a few metres is class. And the play park for littlies is perfect. As for the river - say no more. Cheers and thanks again
foxy
Mick HanneyFeb 22 2023, 5:59pmEntries open & we will also take any vouchers.

If f we could get anymore volunteer spots filled. Running and non-running and, in particular, laptop, that would be great..
Nora LalorFeb 22 2023, 7:45pmHappy to do Marshall
Mick HanneyFeb 22 2023, 8:04pmThank you Nora.
Mick HanneyFeb 22 2023, 8:17pmNice one Alex, getting your car first in, in the car pool.

Its easy to forget the car pool facility - but its there and easy to use guys.

Just a note too, on the prize structure for the race.

- Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3d M&F.
- Prizes too for the category prizes for the roundy numbers - M40, F40, etc.
- A prize for each of the 1st Junior boy / girl - in this case in the Short Course
- Last,but not least, we will have the much loved spot prizes by raffle back at the pub.
Warren SwordsFeb 22 2023, 9:31pmLooking forward to it.

Mick is one of the best course makers around. His previous courses have been amazing, Annagh Hill is legendary at this stage.
Mikey FryFeb 22 2023, 9:52pmJakers warren you looking for a spot prize early:))
Mick HanneyFeb 23 2023, 7:37pmMain segments to keep an eye on. And there may be others...

Main ups:
First climb until the turn to first descent.
2.4k; 268m; 11%

Second climb until next descent turn
0.86k; 93m; 10.8%

Next fire-road climb
0.83; 61m; 7.3%

Main downs:

Initial descent from top
0.66k; 79m; -11.8%

Single track descent
c. 1k; 125m; -12.7%

Last descent (to village)
0.53k; 59m; -11.2%
Mick HanneyFeb 25 2023, 6:41pmThanks to the volunteers who have stepped forward so far.

I need.
2 more running volunteers.
2 more non-running volunteers.
1 laptop operator.

Also, if someone wants to rove around taking photos that would be great too.
Mick HanneyFeb 25 2023, 7:34pmIf you intend running this event, I'd appreciate early entries. This helps planning and hopefully avoids the last or late minute, "I just missed the cut-off" post on Fri...
Mikey FryFeb 25 2023, 7:47pmHave I missed cut off to annagh hill heard there’s going to be micks home cooked buns and cakes?:)
Mick HanneyFeb 25 2023, 8:00pmMight be some cake for the volunteers on the finish line Mikey - while we way for the lost, sorry the fast runners.
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2023, 12:12pmI have updated the race map and elevation. Due to felling work ongoing on the hill my planned last loop wasn't runnable So, after the descent off the top of the hill, runners stay on a lower fire-road for c. 1km (pretty fllat and fast), before a cheeky little single track up to the right.
Alexandra MurphyFeb 26 2023, 1:30pmQuick question, I want to bring my 9 year old daughter to run the kids race. I know I have to run with her, do I have to do my won entry too?
Just want to make sure I do it correctly.
And does the kidsrace start at 12 too?
Thanks
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2023, 1:49pmHi Alexandra,

I think I'm correct in saying that both adult and child need entries. It would make sense as at least you are both covered insurance-wise.

Short course /Juniors, will start a few mins after the main race start.

Regards,

Mick
Alexandra MurphyFeb 26 2023, 3:00pmThanks Mick,
I'm actually logged in on my daughters profile when i posted!! Looking forward to next Saturday.
Andrew HanneyFeb 26 2023, 4:34pmOnly 496 m elevation that’s much better :)
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2023, 6:03pmAndrew :-)

Thanks to those that have entered earlier.
To those that haven't, remember you have until 6pm Friday. No late entries or on-the-day entries possible (unless you have a lucrative race voucher!).
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2023, 8:54pmRandomly, a photo from Annacurra 2013 popped up on the IMRA homepage, and before I knew it, I was in the rabbit hole of looking at results and the race report from Des is super.

https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/1018/#1031

Des's winning time was 45 mins for the 11k route! The route this Saturday is very similar, but I think its tougher than 10 years ago, as the trails have closed in and now we use more single-track, which are less straightforward. Still, it will be interesting to see what results are possible on Saturday...
Mick HanneyFeb 27 2023, 8:21amI have added a photo to illustrate the short course.
The distance is c. 4.5k and the elevation change is 239m.

It shares the same route as the long course for first 2 kms until you reach a prominent ditch-line in the forest. We will have a marshall there.and/or clear signage in place.

Here, the short course turns right, the long course continues on up.
Short course turns right onto fire-road for about 100m, before left into a km of single track running through the trees. There is a further right and left turn before the descent for home.
Mick HanneyFeb 27 2023, 6:59pm1 more volunteer please and we should be sorted. Thanks.
Mick HanneyFeb 27 2023, 10:36pmEntries are ticking over nicely with 4 days more to get your purchase.

If you can, please consider car pooling with a pal or a running adversary.

For the serious racers a study of the map and the elevation changes might be useful.

I expect the trail to be pretty dry, and all runnable. Only muddy section is near top of hill from Coillte tractor traffic.
Alicia Christofi-WalsheFeb 28 2023, 10:42amWhat time does pre-race registration close on Saturday please?
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2023, 10:48amHi Alicia,
With a race start at 12, we should be wrapping up registration about 1/4 to.
Regards,
Mick
Alicia Christofi-WalsheFeb 28 2023, 1:17pmThat's great thanks Mick.
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2023, 7:04pmThanks Brendan for adding your name.

We are good now for volunteers. If you want to volunteer consider helping Mike at Trooperstown or any of the subsequent races.

3 days left for entries...
Mick HanneyMar 1 2023, 11:01amThanks to the volunteers, I'll send a brief email this evening with some instructions.
Mick HanneyMar 1 2023, 1:23pmIn addition to the segments above, the final short climb of the day will be a single-track linking the lower fire-road with upper fire-road that is reached around the 8k mark. There should be a marshall in place on the day.
Distance: 400m; Climb: 70m: Gradient: 18%
Andrew HanneyMar 1 2023, 7:46pmLooking forward to it, well kind of :)
Andrew HanneyMar 2 2023, 8:45amI’ve added a car pool from Greystones area
Mick HanneyMar 2 2023, 10:51amPub is open from 11 if any visitors / non runners / volunteers wanted a tea or coffee while you wait
Alan KennedyMar 2 2023, 11:03amCan we have a pre-race pint??
Mick HanneyMar 2 2023, 2:36pmIt might not be performance enhancing Alan. You can be thinking about that beer as you speed around the hill!

I might need one earlier!
Mick HanneyMar 3 2023, 7:29amRace entry closes at 6pm today.

A reminder re: race registration procedures in the morning. We hope to be ready for registrations from 10.30 in the Community hall. Plenty of time to register before 1/4 to 12 when we'll wrap up. Please follow parking marshals instructions.

On arrival you will be asked if you are online entry or voucher, and you will be directed to the appropriate desk.

If you ran already in 2023 you should have your Race No. (and chip with you). If you haven't ran in 2023 yet, you will be given a new Race No. Useful if you know your race no. but we'll have a list to hand.

Lastly, and very importantly EVERYONE needs to register at the Laptop. New runners will be given a 'chip' which you tie to your runner. New/existing runners chip is registered (beeped) into the system, so we know you are in the race. If you don't register your chip you won't be in the results.

When you cross the finish line the race mat will detect your running chip, but only if its affixed to your runner - not in your pocket etc.

Remember your running jacket and no headphones.

Looking forward to seeing you and hope you all have an enjoyable race.
Thanks.
Eoin HamiltonMar 4 2023, 9:50amI tried to copy the route on hiiker for those without a pro strava account.
Not 100% accurate to the actual route, but might help https://hiiker.app/maps/planned-trails/imra-annacurra--655522
Eoin HamiltonMar 4 2023, 10:58amRunning about 5 mins late. There at 11.50.if someone sees this could they mention to organise?
Deirdre GalvinMar 4 2023, 4:53pmA great course, thank you to Mick, Lillian and all the organisers and stewards. Great to be back running around the hills like a Wild Woman! Well done all.
Alan KennedyMar 4 2023, 4:53pmThanks to Mick, his boys, Kate on the laptop and all the volunteers for a great race. Loved the mix of trail, road and forest (except when I took a wrong turn following the tractor tracks). But I got my pint after all with the lovely soup and sambos in the pub after. Great Day.
Warren SwordsMar 4 2023, 5:01pmNice one Mick and all the volunteers. Fantastic course, the multiple climbs were a great challenge. Course really threw everything at you, climbs, single tracks, leg sapping fireroad and a tractor.
Mick HanneyMar 4 2023, 5:55pmThis one Warren? See photo added
Anna CroninMar 4 2023, 6:17pmHi Mick and co, Thanks for today, No biggie but I have no result from today Anna Cronin race number 1410- There was a bit of an issue with my chip at registration but they thought they had it resolved. I was in around the 1hr 17mins. Thanks Anna
Brendan LawlorMar 4 2023, 6:43pmAnother Masterclass in Race Directing from Mick Hanney today. Mick puts huge preparation into every race he directs and it really showed , the hall, the parking, the spot on marking, all excellent.

Thank you to Mick, his four sons and all the other volunteers for a fantastic day out on the hills!
Gerry McGuinnessMar 4 2023, 7:09pmThanks Mick and crew, Brendan summed it up in his post.
Mick HanneyMar 4 2023, 7:15pm@Anna. I can see your Race No. on the Manual finish sheets between 2052 and 2135 around the 1h 17 mark. I sent a pic of the finish sheets to Results Secretary.
Anna CroninMar 4 2023, 7:18pmSuper thanks Mick...
Eoin HamiltonMar 4 2023, 7:31pmLoved this race. What a course. Well done everyone.

And thanks for the very late registration!
Anna MichaelMar 4 2023, 7:35pmThank you Mick, marshals and the volunteers on a great set up and race. It was a super course, tough but really enjoyable. Well done all.
Karl BourneMar 4 2023, 8:10pmThanks Mick, Liam and all the Volunteers today for making this another cracking IMRA race. I was a little worried the short course would be a bit much for a 7 year old at 4.7K, but the excellent course markings, varied terrain and friendly Marshalls on route helped it breeze by. Playground and pub on site a stroke of genius too. Cheers guys!
Mick HanneyMar 4 2023, 8:28pmThanks for the report Mikey. Would be nice to see more. A report from one of our juniors would be great. Always good, in future years, looking back at the reports and I appreciate the effort taken.
Feedback today was very positive and it was so good to see the mainly happy faces at the finish line :-)
We had a great team in place today, from the pre-race people in the hall and car park, to the marshals on the hill and the finish line crew. It was topped off by a great atmosphere in the pub afterwards. Plus, Kate and Conor got the results online super fast which is brilliant.
Conor O'FarrellMar 5 2023, 2:50pm@Anna. Should be sorted now. Apologies for the mix up yesterday.

Con
Maeve OReillyMar 5 2023, 7:03pmI had two juniors with me and they had an epic time. I’ll see if I can persuade (bribe) a race report.
I’m missing a red Patagonia huodini jacket, size XL, in its pouch. Might have fallen out of my pack. If anyone came across it I’d be very grateful to get it back.
Mick HanneyMar 5 2023, 7:20pmHi,
Brilliant thanks.
I have that red jacket in the pouch. I plan to be at Trooperstown so I’ll bring it.
I also have 2 pairs of gloves that were left at start line.
Cheers
Mick
Maeve OReillyMar 5 2023, 8:22pmThat’s a relief, thanks Mick. I can’t make Trooperstown but I’ll get someone to collect it.
Mary CollinsMar 6 2023, 6:15pmThanks Mick to you and all your volunteers, especially your sons for a very well organised event in Annacurra. Clearly a lot of work beforehand.
Mick HanneyMar 6 2023, 7:27pmThanks Mary. RD report added.
Mick HanneyMar 7 2023, 10:41amLoving that race report Maeve. Fab. Thanks kids.
Alan AylingMar 8 2023, 12:40amGreat race reports, great route, great marking, great day. Well done all, especially Mick pulling out all the stops to make it happen.

All we need now is Annagh Hill back on the calendar. But not at the expense of Annacurra. Maybe even get that Tinahely race back. North Wicklow has had all the fun way too long. South Wicklow has (arguably?) better hills and definitely better post-race pubs.
Seán HigginsMar 8 2023, 8:55amGreat to hear so many positives about this race. We can all learn a lot about race organisation from Mick and he deserves all the credit, it made volunteering at it a very easy positive experience and I would encourage everyone to do so.
Alan, we will be back in south Wicklow for Tinahely on June 17th I’ll try to live up to the standards Mick set. I’ll update this years details over the coming weeks.
https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/2298