Irish Mountain
Running Association

Scalp

AuthorDateMessage
Gareth LittleMar 23 2023, 1:57pmHi all,

Just a quick update on the route for this years Scalp race. Due to new Coillte fencing in Carrickgollogan Forest, the route needed to be changed so myself and Vivian have decided to do somewhat of a revamp to the existing route of previous years.

The start point remains the same but instead of going north, we go east towards Carrickgollogan, along the fire-road and through a junction on the fire-road towards the quarry. We then turn right and loop clockwise ascending to the summit of Carrickgollogan. From there its north along the fire-road and then a right turn down a MTB track named ‘Chomper’. Then a long drag back up to the smelting tower and back to the road crossing where the clockwise loop of Barnaslingan will begin. The finish will be at the usual finish point.

I have added maps etc to the photos section but if someone could also add them to the main event page too.

Any questions on the route, just let me know.

Thanks,

Gareth – Race marker
Gareth LittleMar 23 2023, 2:02pmhttps://hiiker.app/maps/planned-trails/imra-scalp-ll-new-2023-route--268414
Conor NolanMar 23 2023, 8:25pmNice! More technical and (hopefully) less of a sprint.
Vivian O'GormanApr 5 2023, 3:04pmHi All,

Wednesday nights are back!!

I am looking for Volunteers for both Race Registration
and Marshalling...

So if you don't want to run this one or you have an injury or feel
like a walk why not volunteer??...

Also a Laptop Operator needed...

More info nearer the time...
Vivian O'GormanApr 14 2023, 9:23pmHi All,
Entries open for this race - The Scalp - next Monday morning.
There is a cap of 200. Entries are due to close at 12pm on Wednesday or
sooner if the 200 entries have been reached before that. So don't wait!! Enter!!
Please don't enter if you don't think you'll make it!!

Also it would be greatly appreciated if you could Car Pool. To
facilitate this we are using the Bog Meadow free car park. It is
just outside Enniskerry about five minutes from race registration.
There will be a Volunteer there to help.
There is a Car Pool option on the events page. Please use it...

Both the Junior course - under 16 - and the short course are on
the first loop. It is about 5k.

As the race is under 8k there will be NO early start. Everybody starts
at 7.30pm...
Eoin HamiltonApr 15 2023, 11:35amJust threw my name in to volunteer if needed.
Jorgan StrathmanApr 16 2023, 4:13pmLooking for a way there. I'm working in D2 and living in D8. Would anyone be driving down and back from either of these locations Wednesday that I could hop in and join? Thanks a mill!
Aideen BurkeApr 17 2023, 9:20amHi Jorgan, I’m in D8 too so I’d be happy to give you a lift to the race and back. If you want to drop me an email we can arrange: aideenmjburke@gmail.com
Daniel MacSweeneyApr 17 2023, 9:42amHi - first timer here. How can I get the "official IMRA race number and timing chip" please?
Alistair HodgettApr 17 2023, 9:57amHi Daniel, you'll collect your number and chip at registration on the night.
Daniel MacSweeneyApr 17 2023, 10:15amok - thanks
Vivian O'GormanApr 17 2023, 2:13pmA note on getting to race registration on the Ballyman
Road...

You are better off going through Stepaside and/or Kilternan. There is a
road closure between Bray North and Ballyman Road with a detour!!

We have over 100 entries at the moment!! Entry for the race will
close when this figure reaches 200. When entries close they
are closed. They will NOT be opening again. So enter now!! Please don't enter if you don't think you will actually make it to the race.

Don't forget to Car Pool. We can use the Bog Meadow free
Car Park five minutes or so from race registration...
Vivian O'GormanApr 18 2023, 9:53amHi All,

The Leinster League Scalp race has now SOLD OUT...

It will NOT open again.

Thank you to all who have entered and see you tomorrow evening...
Vivian O'GormanApr 18 2023, 1:13pmHi All,

I have enough Volunteers now. So please have a look at the next couple
races and Volunteer for one of those.

Don't forget to bring your race number - timing chip and
jacket.

If this is your first race you can collect your number and chip
at race registration. If you have a timing chip from previous years
bring it with you.

Please give yourselves plenty of time to register and get to the start. It
is a nice uphill walk!!

Remember to carpool with the option of the Bog Meadow
car park just beside Enniskerry. There will be an imra volunteer
there to help you...

The weather is looking good so fingers crossed and see
you tomorrow...
Niall FoxApr 18 2023, 3:08pmHi Vivian, I bought an entry for the race yesterday but have injured myself in the interim and I'm no longer in a position to race tomorrow night. Hopefully you can free up my space for someone else who'd like to race?
Jorgan StrathmanApr 18 2023, 5:31pmI'll take Nialls place while he recovers!

I just arranged a lift but I see the event is sold out.
Brian KitsonApr 18 2023, 5:33pmSorry lads, it’s not possible to arrange transfers.
Ben ConroyApr 18 2023, 6:18pmHey there have race vouchers become a thing of the past or is it just for certain races?
Richard NunanApr 18 2023, 6:51pmOur coms from a few months ago - 12th April they are finished.

Hi Everyone

Following extensive discussions by the committee we have decided to implement the following changes to the race registration process.

From April 12th onwards, all IMRA races across the country will be online pre-entry only. The use of vouchers will be discontinued from that date onwards.

To coincide with this change, and to allow a reasonable amount of flexibility, we are changing the cut off times to enter our races closer to the race start times. These will be as follows:

- 12 noon on the day of a mid-week evening race
- 6 pm the evening before a weekend race

We will review these race cut off times over the coming races once this new system has had a chance to settle down and adjust if necessary.

We will be reimbursing IMRA members for vouchers cards already purchased over previous years. Details of this reimbursement scheme will be made available soon.

These changes are being implemented to simplify the registration and race results process which, as we all know, is wholly facilitated and delivered by volunteers. We are also conscious of the need to work with and adhere to the permit and race conditions set by the various organisations and landowners we deal with.

Up until April 12th, vouchers can be used at races where race number limits have not been set through the permits granted.

Our jam-packed calendar of races is now in full swing, don’t forget to pick an event to volunteer while you are picking your race dates for yourselves…for every 10 races you complete with IMRA, you are expected to volunteer at another race. Without volunteers, IMRA can not function. Let’s not leave it to the usual suspects.

Thanks,

Miriam
Hazel ThompsonApr 19 2023, 8:49amHi. Is there a charge for the car parking tonight? There usually is at this race, but I don’t see it mentioned. Just want to make sure I have some change with me, if it is needed.
Thanks!
Vivian O'GormanApr 19 2023, 1:34pmHi Hazel - no charge for the car park this evening. Imra
are kindly looking after it.
Ben ConroyApr 19 2023, 4:34pmThanks for clarification Miriam, Missed that message I will frame my remaining voucher may be a valuable collectors items in years to come...
Alan KennedyApr 19 2023, 9:33pmGreat race tonight and a fab course, thanks to Vivian and crew for a smoothly run event. Great marshalling throughout the course.
Sean ForsythApr 19 2023, 9:47pmThank you Vivian and crew for tonight. Great race and course, special to the marshals out on course who were very supportive for my daughter and a big shout out to the cheer squad up at the chimney
John BellApr 19 2023, 9:51pmThank you Vivian and your crew of volunteers for a fantastic race. You certain squeezed as much up and down hill as possible out of the course. I was hoping for a flatter easier route ;-)
Eoin HamiltonApr 19 2023, 9:51pmLots of photos to send on. Where can I send them?

Great running from everyone this evening. Excellent course and perfect conditions.
Derek HayApr 19 2023, 10:41pmThanks to Vivian and the team, great course and all round atmosphere, I really enjoyed the wooded sections in particular. Looking forward to giving it a go again next year!
Robert CostelloApr 19 2023, 11:22pmThat course. Wow. Well done folks.
Conor O'FarrellApr 19 2023, 11:41pmSome race this evening. A head torch would not have gone amiss in the forest toward the end. Thanks to Vivian and his million volunteers.

Results are now up. Please send any queries to results@imra.ie

Thanjsy
Con
Vivian O'GormanApr 19 2023, 11:51pmThat was a great night this evening. No wind
and the ground bone dry!!

Thank you to all my volunteers both at registration and
marshalling. Thanks also to Mick Hanney on the laptop with help
from Conor O'Farrell and first aider Brian McGuckin and Gareth Little and Richard Leahy with a bit of help from Henny and one or two others for marking the route...

Thank you ALL...

Well done to everybody who ran. Me thinks we could be
keeping that course!!
Mick HanneyApr 20 2023, 7:22am@Eoin - when logged into your IMRA account you can upload photos for a given event. Photos are uploaded 1 by 1 but its a quick enough process.
Thomas DonohoeApr 20 2023, 8:55amthanks to all the volunteers and race directors - cracking evening
Miriam MaherApr 20 2023, 9:13amThanks Vivian and your merry band of extensive volunteers for a super night on the hills with an excellent new route!

Enjoyed my mini battle with Linda to avoid being nearly last;-). Well marked and marshalled, although being delighted and not freaked out to come across random men standing around in the gloomy depths of the forest at the end had to be a first!

Roll on next week for PWS, seeya for round 2 Linda:)
Richard FoxApr 20 2023, 9:25amBrilliant event Vivian. Thanks so much to you and the multitude of vollies who all conspired to give a super evening. I was never on the “old” course but the “new” one is fabulous. Cheers and thanks again
foxy
Carlos NunesApr 20 2023, 1:16pmBig thanks to everyone involved in organising this race.
It was my first time doing and it was well worth it.
Great race course and those views...
Gerry McGuinnessApr 20 2023, 8:50pmThanks Vivian and crew for another great night of running. Great track with lots of single track through the woods.
Angela FlynnApr 21 2023, 7:29pmThe Scalp and the course of Irish History was changed forever. .
A little bit of history if you enjoyed the views over the Scalp last Wednesday..
The first wave of english invaders arrived into Wexford, led by the knight, Strongbow. The army was invited in by Diarmuid Mac Murrough who sought assistance in regaining his lands from another native Irish king. The english were successful and sensing a further opportunity for more booty hatched a plan to invade Dublin. The main routes from Wexford was through the Scalp or around the Wicklow mountains to Clondalkin. Mac Murrough led the english over the top of the Wicklow mountains descending into Rathfamham and defeating the Dublin garrison- Thus, the course of Irish history was changed forever.
John GreeneApr 21 2023, 9:27pm"We will be reimbursing IMRA members for vouchers cards already purchased over previous years. Details of this reimbursement scheme will be made available soon."

any more details on this? or when/where one can know what is going on? dissapointed vouchers are now defunct, thanks
Miriam MaherApr 21 2023, 10:12pmHi John, just posted an update on the pending reimbursement scheme on the forum post tracking that.

Thanks

Miriam
Karl BourneApr 24 2023, 1:36pmHi folks

I don't suppose a Kambukka tea/coffee cup was found out on the course last wednesday? We think it was left up there by my wife Orlaith, who was up spectating and taking pictures.

Many thanks
Karl
Vivian O'GormanApr 24 2023, 10:36pmHi Karl, I have your coffee cup. I will have with me
on Wednesday at PWS. If you are not there I can leave
it with the imra race gear...