Irish Mountain
Running Association

Maulin

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mark DoyleFeb 3 2010, 1:16amdoes this route take in the steep forest ride on the ascent ?
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 3 2010, 10:23amHi,

The route has not been finalised yet. Different suggestions have come to me. If anyone has any opinions on the Maulin route can they either email me rachelcinnsealach at googlemail dot com) or post on the forum. Would you like the race to be kept the same as last year, or would you like it to go up over the top of Maulin? To you want it to include the steep ride? I will make the final decision on the 19th of Febuary, so no suggestions after that date please!!!

Rachel.
diarmuid O'ColmainFeb 3 2010, 12:23pmPlease, please, pretty please! No steep ride; my hands and knees can take no more of it.

What about up the WW, then taking the new track from Ride Rock and following it onto the mountain north-west of the top of Maulin. Then follow the good, narrowish track going WSW and then turning East to the top of Maulin and down onto the WW and home.

I know some of you savage men and women will look down your noses on the cosseted comfort of such an easy route, dying to throw your rocky, masochistic bodies at the steep ride. But seriously (you can admit quietly to yourselves), you know that as you try in vain to sprint up the second half of the ride, you will be cursing yourselves for inflicting such horrendous pain and torture on your poor bodies so early in the year.

But of course, as always I will bow my compliant head in obsequious obeisance to the dictates of the all powerfule RD, may she reign successfully for ever.

(ok, I had a few spare minutes, but the suggested route ain't bad)
Paul NolanFeb 3 2010, 4:26pmFrom the comfort of my armchair I'd like to suggest any race with Maulin in it's title goes both up & down the 'Maulin Ride'. Running up it this time of year is a nice measure of the usefulness of the winter training. Running down it is what studs are for.

Welcome back, Mr. Doyle
Mark DoyleFeb 4 2010, 1:48amYou'd have to include the forrest ride and maulin summit in this race, its what mountain running is all about. Are ya racing yourself Paul, how's the training going ??

Can't believe people suggesting leaving the ride out of this race!!
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 19 2010, 7:37pmHi Folks,

I'm looking for spome volunteers for this race. I need a first aider and someone to mark the route and someone to demark the route. Any takers? I'm also looking for running and non running volunteers to help out on the day, all offers appreaciated.

Sorry Diarmuid, it looks like most are in favour of the steep ride!!! Hence it will be included. A map of the route will be up within the next week.

rach.

Mick HanneyFeb 22 2010, 3:07pmFolks,

Just to echo Rachel's call for volunteers. If you've run your required 3 winter league races Maulin might be an 'optional' run so it might lend itself more to you volunteering. We can't have races if we don't have volunteers to assist.

Thanks / Regards,

Mick
John ShielsFeb 22 2010, 4:37pmAnyone like to volunteer to photograph the race? I've an other job on and can't make it on the 6th
John
Paul MitchellFeb 22 2010, 10:24pmI'm down to help at this race. I'm happy to take some snaps. I will bring camera - but if Race Director wants me to do something else that will be fine too.
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 23 2010, 11:58pmHi Paul,

It would be great if you could take pictures at the event. If you could give a hand taking down some of the markers on your way back down once the race is over that would be great too. Mick Hanney is de marking, but all help would be appreaciated.

rach.
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 24 2010, 12:07amFolk's having considered a number of views and a number of options available to me, I have now decided to run the exact same course as last year. I apoligise for leaving you to believe the ride would be included, there is no ride in this race! An os map of the route will be up shortly.

Gerry Brady will bring people on a training run starting at 10:30 am in Crone car park this Sunday for anyone who would like to see the course

for anyone doing a recce and not that familiar with the area here are some very detailed notes (map is on the web page)!

Race starts at the car park barrier;
Take first left turn at forest map signboard;
Very quickly turn right and go up a narrow steep ride (with steps) under trees;
Turn right at the top of this ride;
Take next left which comes up very quickly;
At the top of this ride turn right;
Go left (uphill) at the path bend;
Go straight through the next junction (stay on the main path & always climbing);
Turn right at the next main junction and descend a little;
Turn left up onto the grass just before a forest hut;
More or less straight up the grass climb veering a little right at times to keep to open ground;
Half way up this grass climb, you should pass just to the right of a small crag or rock face;
At the top you come out at a path junction;
Turn right and cross the stile;
Turn right and follow this path as it swings back left towards Maulin summit;
The climb to the summit is on a narrow path through the heather;
At the summit turn a sharp left and run straight downhill;
Gradually you get close to a wall on your left;
Keep close to this and come out on the lower path beside the wall;
Turn right;
Turn left onto a faint track just as you reach a tallish tree on your left (this is the turn you could miss);
This faint path meets another track at the top bend (part of last year’s course);
Descend steeply on this track and then follow it gradually uphill;
When you reach a ride and wall crossing this path, turn right;
You now have the last short sharp climb ahead of you;
Cross the stile at the top and turn left;
At the end of this path cross the fence and turn left;
Very quickly swing a little left and descend straight down on a rough path with trees on your left;
When you meet a lower path turn right and follow it until you meet the main Wicklow Way;
Turn left towards the car park;
On the first bend take a short-cut off the WW on your right;
Descend this rough path to rejoin the WW;
Follow the WW back to the car park.
Paul LarkinsFeb 24 2010, 1:25pmHi,

A girls red jacket was left at the start ( tied around a fence) of the Aughrim race - if anyone picked this up can you please bring it along to the Maulin race? thanks, Paul 0879231581
Mick HanneyFeb 24 2010, 3:09pmSent you a txt Paul..
Carlos CastillejoFeb 27 2010, 10:16amHi all!
Probably I'm running next week in Maulin, but I need some help. How can I get Enniskerry from Dublin (I will go there by train at Friday evening)? ...and how can I go to the start point on Saturday?

Thanks,

Carlos.

Alan AylingFeb 28 2010, 3:17pmNo ride...? People are going soft. I blame the proliferation of fire road and trail races in recent years. I'm with Messrs Nolan and Doyle on this one! "That's what studs are for" sums in up perfectly.

Although in fairness the route Rachel describes does look appealing, apart from the ubiquitous long fire road finish. A thought for next year: same route to and over Maulin, then for the homeward leg down beside the wall, along the top of the forest for a bit, DOWN the ride, left onto WW, at fire road T junction instead of taking WW to right, turn left up fire road then right down steep thing used on way out - imagine the racing on that at the end, trying to pass or hold off another runner, now that's real mountain running, way better than the Lord's Walk and fire road all the way home. In my far from humble opinion anyway.

As for this year's race, I hope to be there suffering it with the rest of ye. Fari play to Rachel and team for taking on the organising.
Alan AylingFeb 28 2010, 3:20pmFari play... stoopid typo.

Carlos the number 44 bus goes to Enniskerry from town, but takes a very long time to do it. I think there's also a bus up from Bray, not sure though. You might be better to arrange a lift with someone via the carpooling feature on the web site.
Gerry BradyFeb 28 2010, 4:11pmThere a few pictures from today of the grass climb and a few other points along the race route up on the event web page. If the same underfoot conditions are there for the race then high grip shoes will be a big advantage. Runners or shallow threaded trail shoes wont adequately grip the light layer of snow on the ground, maybe wear padded cycling shorts :)

Keep a little bit out from the wall on the descent from Maulin to avail of the heather, the climb up the top section of the infamous ride is easy enough but the descent that comes afterwards was tricky in the snow.
Alan AylingFeb 28 2010, 7:55pmAh Gerry, you're giving away the secrets of quick descending!
Roland van LoonMar 1 2010, 12:35pmDear mountain runners,

I'm from the Netherlands and I would would like to run in Maulin.
At Saturday morning I will take the train from Dublin centre to Bray.
Is there someone who can give me a lift from Bray railroad station to the start of the run? I will arrive in Bray at 9.30, but if necessary I can arrive earlier.

Regards,
Roland
Rachel CinnsealachMar 1 2010, 10:54pmHi Folk's,

Thanks a million to all those who volunteered. I have enough now.

rach.
Shane EnrightMar 2 2010, 11:00pmHi Roland

I won't be able to give you a lift myself but you'll get more offers if you get a 145 bus to Kilmacanogue - it's much closer to the start and more people will be passing by. Fare is €2.20 and you'd be wise to bring exact change. It should take a little over an hour.

You'll catch one on the east side of O'Connell St in Dublin City Centre. Timetable here: http://bit.ly/1avltp

Otherwise a carpool offer from Dublin may appear closer to the race so keep an eye on this page.

Shane
Remco HoppezakMar 3 2010, 1:53pmHello Everyone,

Would like a lift for the run in Maulin this Saturday. Anyone coming from D6? passing through the city center? Or near KCR?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Remco
Brian O'DwyerMar 4 2010, 1:54pmIs registration at the Powerscourt Arms Hotel or at the Crone Wood Car Park??
Mick HanneyMar 4 2010, 2:44pm
Registration is at Crone. Prizegiving is back in the Powerscourt Arms in Enniskerry after..
Rachel CinnsealachMar 4 2010, 9:53pmFolk's,

Is there anyone out there, who can give Roland a lift? Also can people make an effort to car pool from the pub or elsewhere. There is limited parking in Crone car park, and there will be walkers/hikers who will be parking in the area, we don't want to be taking over the car park completely and annoying the public.
Niall HeffernanMar 5 2010, 8:57amroland,

if you can make your way to blackrock dart station on saturday morning between 9.15 and 9.30, i will be able to pick you up from there as i live quite close.

if anyone else needs a lift who lives in and around the area or en route, i can squeeze in at least one more.

thanks,

niall
Niall SomersMar 5 2010, 11:06amHi Folks -

Myself and two others are planning on cycling out to the race in the morning - Is there somewhere we can leave bikes in crone car park, preferably where one of marshalls/ organinisers at start/finish to keep an eye on them?

Many thanks
Niall
Paul MitchellMar 5 2010, 11:25amI'll be leaving KCR at 9am. Room for 1 maybe 2.
My gmail address is jppmitchell
Roland van LoonMar 5 2010, 4:23pmHi Niall,

Thank you very much!
Then I will be at the Blackrock Dart Station just before 9.15.
Can you please send me a text-message at my mobile number to confirm, because I am not able to check this site after now. Number: 0031-6 51893091.
See you there!
Regards,
Roland
Rachel CinnsealachMar 5 2010, 10:08pmFolk's,

although it has been sunny this week, it has remained very cold, the route could be snowy/icy.

There is a short course option that avoids open mountain (but does not count for league)for anyone that does not feel comfortable running in icy conditions.
Rachel CinnsealachMar 5 2010, 10:11pmNiall,

Bring a lock and lock your bike to a tree. I will keep an eye on it for you. However I take no responsibility for it, if it is stolen!!!
Rachel CinnsealachMar 9 2010, 12:04amTwo points to note from this race.

1. People need to car pool!!!! I should have stressed this more. Please please do not arrive to races on your own. Car pool from the pub, or elsewhere before the event. There is limited parking available.

2. It is really important that people sign in, with there correct number. I ALMOST had mountain rescue out looking for a lost runner on Saturday, because they ran, with someone elses number.

Our system shows which runners have finished, provided you sign in/register and you have your number clearly visable coming through the finish line. It is really important that if you don't finish the race that you still report back to the race director and give back your number. Failure to to do this leads to confusion.

Other than this, all went well :)