Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Richard NunanJan 26 2013, 6:33pmHi Folks,

We are still looking for a Race Director for this race if anyone can spare their time it would be appreciated.

Vivian O'GormanJan 27 2013, 9:47pmHi Richard, I have volunteered as RD for Trooperstown. So if anybody wants to volunteer as Deputy RD that would be just grand!!
Richard NunanJan 28 2013, 9:55pmThanks Vivian!!! Very much appreciated

Hope you don't end up being RD for your usual 8 races this year and that other people will find the time to help out also.

Juju JayFeb 7 2013, 11:52pmhi there... as a helper what time would you like me there for & do i meet you at the carpark? any info will be great.. peace & good juju
Peter BellFeb 8 2013, 12:03amHi vivian was looking to be a running volunteer if u need anymore. Cheers Peter.
Ben MooneyFeb 9 2013, 9:28pmBen Mooney will run and volunteer to help
Sean DunneFeb 9 2013, 11:37pmSean Dunne will run and help at Trooperstown.
Vivian O'GormanFeb 10 2013, 5:52pmHi Folks,

I need a First Aid Person and Lap Top Operator and a few more non running volunteers. I have enough running volunteers.

I will give info on times and duties later in the week.
Bernard FortuneFeb 10 2013, 7:21pm Hi Vivian,I can demark the course,but intend to run also if any use.
Jarlath HynesFeb 10 2013, 7:49pmI'm available as non-running volunteer/helper.
Vivian O'GormanFeb 10 2013, 8:36pmThanks Bernard and Jarlath I have you both in!!
Diarmuid O'ColmainFeb 10 2013, 9:16pmHi Vivian
I've volunteered as First Aid Officer
Diarmuid
Vivian O'GormanFeb 11 2013, 1:55pmThanks Diarmuid -- I'm still looking for a Lap Top Operator -- any takers?
Martin BagnallFeb 11 2013, 3:56pmI'm available as a non running volunteer.
Jill WalkerFeb 12 2013, 2:19pmWhat time is registration on Saturday? Thanks.
Vivian O'GormanFeb 13 2013, 10:30pmHi Folks,

Race registration for Trooperstown will open at 9.30am and close at 10.50am. The race will start at 11am.

Early start at 10.30

Headphones are prohibited.

There will be a Junior course - just ask me beforehand

Brian O'Murchu needs a lift from Dublin. So if any of the volunteers have space please give him a call.

Lastly I still need a Lap Top Operator.
Martin BagnallFeb 14 2013, 10:11amI've got a spare seat in my car going from Heuston if that suits. I don't have contact details for Brian.
Colin DoyleFeb 14 2013, 10:14amBrian number is 0868973144
Sam ScrivenFeb 14 2013, 11:36amJust to avoid any confusion - race is Sunday!! (not Saturday)
Eoghan Young-MurphyFeb 14 2013, 5:41pmI am interested in doing an article on the Trooperstown Hill race on Sunday for the Irish Independent Fit Magazine. Could you please contact me on 0862130844, in relation to this? Many thanks, Eoghan Young-Murphy
kevin englishFeb 14 2013, 11:30pmI am looking for a lift if anyone is going from the Dublin area?
Brendan CoghlanFeb 15 2013, 12:29pmI am looking for a lift - Ballinteer exit M50. 0eight798zero6516. no one listed for carpool so far. I am sure plenty others need a lift or would prefer to not drive down if they could carpool
Cian FrielFeb 15 2013, 1:08pmBrendan, I can give ya a lift, I've a van so only can only take one person, I'll call ya saturday eve to arrange collection 0877548730
Jill WalkerFeb 15 2013, 2:52pm Can you tell me about the early start? Thanks (new to IMRA - just done the last 3 races). J
conor houlihanFeb 15 2013, 3:26pmwould really appreciate a lift. 0877865750
Conor
Colum McKeownFeb 15 2013, 3:27pmHi,
Looking for a lift as well.
Vivian O'GormanFeb 15 2013, 7:35pmJill - take a look at your finish times for the races you have done. If these times are greater than 160% of the winning time you can do the early start if not then start with the main race.
John CostiganFeb 16 2013, 9:26pmWill be able to give lift if someone needs. Will be travelling from drogheda in the am. Ph 086 7713771
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 16 2013, 9:41pmTickets for IMRA winter social /prixe giving will be on sale at the race tomorrow. Tickets five eiro. This enties you to free finger food and a drink.
Vivian O'GormanFeb 17 2013, 5:18pmHi Folks,

Thanks to all the volunteers at todays race.

The final results will be put up during the week as I had no laptop operator at the finish - Nora L knows what I mean!!

The overall winners were:

1. Kevin English 43.00 Kate Cronin 48.18
2. Barry Conlon 43.24 Karen O'Hanlon 53.56
3. Peter O'Farrell 43.25 Becky Quinn 56.24

Over 40 Over 40
Bernard Fortune Rachel Burgess

Over 50 Over 50
Ben Mooney Mary Collins

Over 60
Joe Lalor

Over 70
Mick Kellett

Junior
Isaac Coleman

;
Justin O'KeeffeFeb 17 2013, 6:08pmAt about 11:40 this morning was sitting outside glendalough fare having coffee (had finished mountain biking) & two quick lads with imra numbers came trotting up the road heading towards trooperstown / roundwood on the road - did somebody get very lost?
Mick HanneyFeb 17 2013, 6:22pmGreate race today. A pity the leaders went astray.

Bad form that a laptop operator didn't come forward. I did the start as a favour to Vivian and Nora filled in ably at the finish.

The laptop duties are straightforward. Please give it a go. A laptop training course would go along way to filling up volunteer duties for the season ahead.

Running volunteers are all well and good but these roles need to be filled.
Nora LalorFeb 17 2013, 8:32pmNot very ably Im afraid, was doing ok til the non registered, early starters & those finishing in reverse arrived (:-) Apologies in advance to whoever gets to tidy up the results & indeed to those who may be listed incorrectly. Its not that difficult but I should have kept it simple like I intended. Thanks to Pól, Martin & anyone else who threw in their tuppence worth, we did manage to get the on the day results out. It still amazes me how many runners when finished will stroll back thru the finish chute, stand right in front of finish officials & warm down with number displayed on run in, ye dont make things any easier.
Peter O'FarrellFeb 18 2013, 7:54amThe course was marked very well.
The new guidelines try to minimise ambiguity and essentially boil down to;

ONLY tape junctions
ONLY put tape where you want runners to go

So if you see tape you need to be vigilant for any change of direction.

There were 8 pieces of tape at the last right turn where Kevin went straight on and Barry attempted to go straight only to be called back.

Unfortunate for Des who deserved to wrap up the Winter League yesterday but now all roads lead to Maulin!

And speaking of the afore mentioned vexatious laptop operator role, Nora - you are most welcome to have another go at Kilmashogue, laptop operator still required!
Nora LalorFeb 18 2013, 10:37amAh here Peter leave it out! you have not seen the carnage poor Viv left to sort! I meant the never again I said yesterday.
Alan AylingFeb 18 2013, 11:11amTo echo what Peter said about the new guidelines for course marking...

- Makes life much easier for the course marker(s) and de-marker(s)
- Simplifies things for the competitor, provided they are vigilant

Full description of the guidelines is included in the race marking kit bag.

Needs to be done consistently for all marked races so everyone is on the same page and competitors always know what to look out for.
Turlough ConwayFeb 18 2013, 12:34pmIf the (very sensible) guidelines will be consistant, then we could put them on both League and Event decriptions. A pre-Event or at least a pre-League news item with general guidelines could also include them.

Perhaps a few suggestions could be added to make going wrong less likely, a few examples below:

-Read and understand the marking guidlines, event description, maps etc.
If possible,
-Recce the route
-Do a remote recce of the route, using other maps, (paper or electronic) and online tools such as google maps, old GPS views of the route (make sure its current!), to help you visualise and know the route.
-As a minimum know where the ups and downs are, the key junctions occur and what direction to take at these junctions.

The most common reason by far for going wrong is following another runner wrong. Large groups of runners >15(and many experienced) have gone wrong in the past by simply following the lead runner in the group wrong, like lemmings.Decide which direction is right at each junction as if youre alone, and base your decision on what you see and on your own judgement.
Turlough ConwayFeb 18 2013, 12:36pmBTW I was that lemming last week!
Des KennedyFeb 18 2013, 11:24pmSome good advice there Turlough! No matter how much I was trying myself to concentrate on looking out for markings yesterday, the adrenaline just took over in the heat of a very tightly fought contest! Peter's report is spot on! Note to self, race the course and the man in future!

To make things worse I changed out of my Raheny vest at the finish, left it down and then wandered off without it, if any good soul happened across same and was brave enough to retrieve it could you please contact me on Oeight7 nine17five117 or reply to post. Thanks!
Turlough ConwayFeb 19 2013, 10:00amHi Des, very hard luck on Sunday, sounded like a fierce battle. Ive a radar on Sligo athletes and i see Allans name put up from time to time. He doesnt race often but has a good crack at winning any race he does enter it looks like.
My post was just aimed to get the marking guidelines up and prominent on the web site, i was just going to suggest adding a list of adviseable extras but decided i might as well list them as they were in my head. What you said just shows that even when youre watching the junctions and markings closely the pressure of time and competition can be hugely influential.

Incidently, apart from going around lough Ouler the wrong way, my list is probably a lot worse than Peters with a lot less racing done! :-)

The one consolation for you being so unlucky on Sunday, (you deserved to win it there as youve been head and shoulders above everyone to date) is that the final race is one of the best, on Maulin. It will be sweet for whomever wins, but undoubtedly sweeter for yourself perhaps, to win it there than on Trooperstown.

Best of luck to all, ill be further down in wicklow doing the Wicklow mountain half for Debra Ireland, but will be keen to hear the tidings.

Emmet Ó BriainFeb 19 2013, 12:31pmHi folks,

Thanks for a great run on Sunday - I finished 27th and my name is down as Fione O'Briain - it should be Emmet. It's my own fault for having horrible handwriting!

Trooperstown was my first mountain race - there's a photo from Action Photography which shows just how little of a clue I had on Sunday (peering over a small ledge, while everyone else leaps fearlessly off it!). Have to figure out how to run downhill or uphill. Managed to fall both uphill and downhill.

Thanks again,

Emmet.
Diarmuid O'ColmanFeb 19 2013, 12:33pmHi,

someone left a pair of black, Marmot running gloves on the roof of mg (First Aid) car on Sunday. I have the gloves. Please contact me to recover them. oh 87 24one3303

Diarmuid
John MooreFeb 19 2013, 1:51pmGreat race Sunday but In the results I’m down as a DNF, I finished the race in 56.08 garmin link :- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274391047
David Kelly70Feb 19 2013, 6:10pmHi All.

A great race on Sunday - thanks to all who organised it and volunteered. I would be grateful if someone could correct my result. I just pipped Ken Cowley at the post so my finish time should be 57:45 or so.

Also, I see that the laptop post seems to be the hardest to fill. I would be happy to do it after a bit of training. Should I just volunteer as shadow laptop operator next time I am volunteering?

Thanks,

Dave.
Gerry BradyFeb 19 2013, 8:03pmDes
Some great performances this year. I can understand your regrets about the unnecessary detour in the race but wanting the Raheny singlet back, really!!!
David Kelly70Feb 19 2013, 11:51pmTo whoever sorted out my result - Thank you.
Jonny DarlingFeb 20 2013, 1:47pmWonderful storytelling in the race report by Peter O'Farrell
http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/report/id/1019/
Alan JonesFeb 22 2013, 2:26pmLOST INSOLE!
i got my ringt runner insole (INOV-8 size 10) mixed up with somebody elses's when changing in the carpark afterward. might have been with the red Ford car next to us. I have somebodyelse's left insole. If we can swop at next race let me know!