Irish Mountain
Running Association

Annagh Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
michael redmondJan 27 2013, 10:18pmpaul,could you put e down as a non running helper for this race please,not interested in my imra,i will be there nice and early for duties,mick redmond gorey.
Niamh O CeallaighMay 11 2013, 11:23pmAny news on a route for this race?
Paul JoyceMay 12 2013, 9:49am
Route description is up now. Its a shorter race than previous routes, owing to extensive Coillte felling in the area. Basically, steep climb, ridge run out, ridge run back on other side of wall, steep descent, cross field to finish, and we'll all be home in time to wash the children.

No mandatory kit, but throw a jacket in the car just in case. Limited parking at the Gap pub, so car pool if possible.
Ray CaulfieldMay 16 2013, 6:51pmHi paul, I am available to help out any way i can for you on Sunday, just let me know what you need, ray.
Paul JoyceMay 16 2013, 10:38pmCheers Ray, I'll be in touch, you and Stephen can marshall the gate and the turnaround at the summit. We have enough volunteers now, thanks everyone.

I can't seem to upload a route map to this website, here's a link to it instead http://postimg.org/image/owd26ekh3/

We're not expecting huge crowds, so a lá the good old LC's, everything will be relaxed and done out of the boot of a car, manual timing, minimal marking, etc. Route is mainly open mountain, grass, boggy heather, trail. There's a couple of stone walls that need crossing, watch out for barbed wire when crossing. It's most important that everyone prints their name and signature on the sign-in sheet at registration. See you on Sunday, registration opens from 11am at the Gap pub car park :)
Paul JoyceMay 17 2013, 1:47pmI was out marking some of the course today- there is a lot of recent vegetation that has obscured some faint open mountain tracks I had intended using, so in the interests of everyones ankles, we'll be using the same way up as down. So, start at the gate, run up to the wall that marks the usual climb, up along it, out and back along the ridge, and back down the same steep way you went up. No substantive difference in character, distance, or elevation, but it should ease any pressure on First Aider or navigation search parties.

Anyone who fancies a shot at the hill is welcome along, there will be marshalls on the course at major points (summit gate and turnaround), but be warned this is a much tougher course than its 5k distance might suggest! Previous entrants will be delighted to hear the puddles along the summit return are omnipresent, are quicker going through than round, and are only knee deep. Go on, you know you want to ;)
Gareth LittleMay 19 2013, 3:16pmI think if I was old enough to remember hill running in the heyday, today would have reminded me of just that. A great day out today and it's days like today that mountain running is all about.

Thanks Paul and crew.

Gareth

Paul JoyceMay 19 2013, 3:21pmResults Annagh Hill 19th May 2013

Position/ IMRA No./ Name/ Time

1 346 Bernard Fortune 27:30
2 TBA Jason Kehoe 27:38
3 365 Brian Furey 27:39
4 402 Adrian Hennessy 27:41
5 381 Derrick Evans 30:20
6 395 Thomas Moore 30:51
7 41 Alan Ayling 31:15
8 34 Eamonn Hodge 31:55
9 420 Mick Hanney 32:58
10 49 Martin Francis 34:15
11 1041 Eddie Cousins 34:30
12 8 Gareth Little 34:55
13 804 Kyle Heron 35:05
14 43 Aidan Bligh 35:45
15 19 Joe Lalor 36:17
16 22 Thomas Galvin 37:37
17 14 Derek Livingstone 39:42
18(1st F) 343 Niamh O'Ceallaigh 39:43
19(2nd F) 805 Rosalind Hussey 41:30
20(3rd F) 128 Irene Walsh 42:39
21 268 Matt Kavanagh 42:50
22 TBA Ailish Byrne 44:41
23 369 John McCann 46:20
24 48 Rachel Cinnsealeach 49:13
25 3 Mick Kellett 57:26
26 25 Caitlin Bent 58:38
27 TBA Catherine Evans 1:03:53

*TBA= New Registrant, number To Be Allocated
Mick HanneyMay 19 2013, 3:34pmThanks Paul and marshalls.

The minutes silence for our NIMRA colleague beforehand was a nice touch.

I loved the informality of it all. The shortest race I've done in a while but it shows that there is a place for a short tough beast of a race. A video of the finish would have made for great viewing with 4 runners neck and neck and places changing.
Paul JoyceMay 19 2013, 4:04pm
I have some photos I'll try and put up of the furious descent from the leaders- it was one of the most amazing finishes I've ever witnessed. Places were chopping and changing throughout a tremendous downhill battle to the finish line. Ireland would be well represented in a downhill-only international, were these four lads our team. In the end only 11 seconds separated them, but Bernard wanted it most, congratulations on a battle fought well and won. Icarus never descended as fast.
Well done to all who ran today, and many thanks to our two summit marshalls Stephen and Ray. Kudos also to First Aider and helper Rosalind and Kyle- no broken bones at Annagh this time around, but these races only operate if we have the volunteers, and standby & not used is as vital to IMRA as standby & busy. Thanks to the Gap pub for use of their facilities, and for the spread of food at prizegiving.
There's a lot you can pack in to 5km, sometimes small is beautiful. And thanks to be Ludd; not a laptop in sight :)
Jason KehoeMay 21 2013, 4:28pmThanks Paul, Stephen, Ray, Rosalind and Kyle for a great day out on the hill. The closeness of the pub was also a great feature and the grub afterwards was great.

I've never been involved in a finish like that before! The order changed a fair few times towards the very end. Bernard really wanted the win for sure and pushed everyones limits on the descent, bordering on reckless we were! I'd say it would have made and interesting video alright!