Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav challenge 3 - Wicklow Gap

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Georg HinkelSep 11 2013, 7:45pmHi,

I would like to attend the Nav challenge, but I do not have a car. Is there anybody who will be coming from Dublin and can pick me up in Sandyford? Tha'd be nice.

Cheers,

Georg
Joe LalorSep 11 2013, 10:14pmHi Georg, I will be picking us a runner from Sandyford Luas station at 9am. Have space for you.
Gavan DohertySep 11 2013, 10:32pmHi Georg,

Good to meet you & Lena last week, hopefully you'll run this week!

Maybe you could post up a phone number or email address to make it easier to Joe to get in touch?

Cheers,

Rachel CinnsealachSep 12 2013, 12:01amJust to let people know I have the trophies!!! Trophies will be awarded to 1st male and 1st female of the long course and 1st male and female for the short course. The trophies will be awarded based on the series not just one race!

There will be plenty of spot prizes too!

We are cuirrently debating whether to have a BBQ after the event or whether we should have prize giving in Lynam's. I guess it depends on the weather and other factors.

We encourage everyone to come along and give the nav challenge a go, The really are great races!
Georg HinkelSep 13 2013, 4:45pmSandyford Luas is great.

My phone number is 0858109935 and the email address is Georg.hinkel@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Brian O MurchuSep 14 2013, 12:14amAnyone going from Dublin with a spare seat? The carpool section is a bit bare
Joe LalorSep 14 2013, 10:42amBrian, There are a group of us meeting at the Luas Station in Sandyford at 9 tomorrow, there is a lift for you if you can make it there.
Miriam MaherSep 15 2013, 4:51pmReally enjoyed this morning, great idea offering the short course, hope you continue this in 2014. Thanks to all the generous volunteers for hanging about in that miserable weather waiting for us.
First time ever I've been nearly blown up the hill by the wind towards the finish!
James H CahillSep 15 2013, 5:42pmThank you to Gavan and Brendan, Paul for a great course, and all the helpers for the race today. Especially thanks to Gavan and Paul for waiting in terrible conditions for my rather tardy arrival at the finish. Well done to all who competed today in rather testing conditions.
John KellySep 15 2013, 6:16pmGreat race thanks everyone. My first Nav challenge and I must say I loved it. I have learned following people is overrated!!!!
Angus TynerSep 15 2013, 7:01pmWell done to all involved, especially Paul for planning. The sight of competitors appearing from all parts of Tonelagee is a testament of good planning. Each leg posed questions as to route. The weather was an added enjoyable element to the day and the sight of the wind whipping up waves and spray on Lough Ouier was amazing. Was really delighted with that route choice to see that!
I am compiling a report, similar in vain to previous 2.

Gerard CunninghamSep 15 2013, 9:14pmThanks Gavan and Brendan for what has been a great series - with the innovation of introducing the short course and split times to keep everyone entertained. Also thanks to the planners including Paul for todays course which had a real sting in the tail from 3-4. I was bent over at 45 degrees into the wind trying to run over Stony Top but then the mist suddenly lifted and we had a fantastic panorama across to Turlough Hill. Really teaches you not to underestimate the weather in Wicklow. Many thanks also to all the volunteers and well done to all who took part.
David Kelly70Sep 16 2013, 12:24pm
Thanks a lot to Gavan and the gang for a great day yesterday. The weather which at the beginning of the day made me reluctant to get out of the car turned out to be the very reason I enjoyed it so much. Conditions like that make the nav much more interesting.

The course was excellent as well, with lots of options between most of the controls and from the conversation in the pub afterwards, many options were very equal with no clear favourite.

It's been a great series of races - now I just need to figure out how to get my NAV fix for the next few months?

Gavan DohertySep 16 2013, 12:46pmHello,

Well done to all the competitors on getting around yesterday's Nav Challenge. While not all that cold (statistically!), strong winds, persistent showers and physical terrain made it a tough challenge. Thanks to Paul N, Vivian, Ger, Dave, Brendan, Rachel for all the help in putting it together. Superhero of the week was Paul Mahon who effectively did the Long and Short carrying all the flags while putting them out on Saturday. However behind every great man.... Hilary's 'volunteered' to bring them back in! Thanks also to Kevin for manually sorting out and uploading results.

The results and basic (OS) version of the map will hopefully go up over the next day or so, but in the meanwhile the splits are now online:

http://obasen.orientering.se/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=27736
or
http://www.splitsbrowser.org.uk/splitsgraph.php?eventId=6754

The checkpoints were as follows:
Long Course
Start: O 074 001
1: O 051 001 (forest corner)
2: O 030 016 (pylon)
3: O 049 033 (forest corner)
4: O 087 025 (stream junction)
Finish: O 074 001

Short Course
Start: O 074 001
1: O 057 016 (forest road/track junction)
2: O 055 029 (corner of forest/felled/open mountain)
3: O 071 031 (ditch/forest road junction)
4: O 073 022 (stream/forest ride junction)
Finish: O 074 001

Well done to Angus on winning the series on the Long and Thomas O'Sullivan & Melanie Walsh on winning the Short. The final standings are being compiled and will be up as soon as possible.

I hope we've kept Joe's original vision for the series intact on the Long Course (expect the unexpected!), but the overall aim of the changes this year (Short Course and pre-printed maps) were to make the series and navigation in general more accessible. Hopefully a few have benefitted and feel more comfortable with the idea of taking a map and exploring a few more hills rather than being told where to go. During the IMRA off-season orienteering events might help the navigation some more (www.orienteering.ie), or else wait for 2014!

Melanie WalshSep 16 2013, 1:52pmThanks to Gavin and all the helpers, I really enjoyed the short courses, a longer orienteering distance than I am used to with plenty of interesting weather and terrain, if you ignore the paths!
Jeff SwordsSep 16 2013, 2:04pmWell done to all involved in the organisation of yesterdays and the previous two races.

Ran the short course yesterday due to needing to get home early, when I arrived into the carpark at the start I was thinking that god for that, the car was being rocked all over the place in the wind.

Really enjoyed yesterdays course and with the advent of the spilts being available you have the additional info to dwell over when going back through your route, thinking what could have been and wondering how did those people do such and such a leg those few minutes faster than me.

It was my first year doing any of the nav challenges but would recommend anyone hmming and hawing about doing them because of the navigational element to give them a go next time around, the short courses are a great introduction.
Conor ShortSep 16 2013, 2:49pmThanks to all involved yesterday, it was a great race!
If anyone's interested I've put my route for the long course up here: http://oktisaren.se/kartor/show_map.php?user=Conor&map=469
Brían O'MearaSep 16 2013, 10:26pmThanks to Gavan, Paul, Vivian & co for a great event. Toughest one yet, I thought. That tussocky bit to control 2 was nasty, death or glory route choice to point 3 didn't work, and Tonlagee was an absolute slog, but very enjoyable. Roll on next year...
Sam ScrivenSep 17 2013, 11:13amWell done to everyone who battled those conditions on Sunday. The wind up on the exposed ridge between Stoney Top and Tonelagee was something special.

Leg 3 to 4 turned into an epic for me, after opting for a fairly direct route and the shelter of the forest. One section of the forest was so thick with moss it felt like I'd ventured into Narnia. I'll be heading back with a camera when the winter snows are upon us! If I can find it!

Thanks to Gavan and all the planners and helpers for a really fabulous series.
Angus TynerSep 17 2013, 9:48pmReport up
John BellSep 18 2013, 1:41pmThanks to Gavan and all the volunteers that made this fantastic series happen. I'm regretting that I missing the last event as it sounds like a great challenge - weather included.

It was very interesting reading Angus' race reports. Now we know his tactics so we can try beat him next year!
Angus TynerSep 18 2013, 4:48pmJohn, your tactics to beat me worked well in NC 2. Follow me the whole way* and nip ahead on the run in ;)

*Not really true