Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mountain Rescue Benefit Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mike JordanJul 16 2014, 10:28amThe annual Mountain Rescue Benefit Race will take place on Wednesday 20th of August this year.

This course will be different to last year and will take place on a route around Paddock Hill near Laragh, Co. Wicklow (subject to permission) with the registration taking place at the GOIMRT rescue base (beside Trooperstown woods carpark).

Race route will be approx 7.2k with 300m of climb and will be published on the event page upon approval. This route should suit all runners including those new to hill running.

The race is organised between Dublin Wicklow MRT and Glen of Imaal MRT. The race fee as a €10 donation to Mountain Rescue.

Thank you in advance for your support!
David PenderJul 17 2014, 11:57pmHi,
Was wondering if you needed any more volunteers for the race?
Thanks,
David
Mike JordanJul 18 2014, 11:15amWe will have mountain rescue personnel vounteering on the night who will not appear on the the page here so we should be ok for volunteers. That said, I might ask for a few more volunteers closer to the event once I have a better idea of how many helpers I have. Thanks.

Also if anyone would like to introduce any of their friends/family to trail running this would be an ideal race. The IMRA registration fee is waived for this event so all they have to do is fill out the membership form on the night and give a donation to help out a good cause :)
Mike JordanAug 14 2014, 11:52amUpdated details for next weeks race:

Route is 8k with 250m of climb. It should be a fast course on a mix of alternating rocky, muddy or even boggy tracks with one short (~400m) marked section down through open hillside. There will be mountain rescue personnel out on the course marshalling.
Parking is at Trooperstown forest carpark, just off the Roundwood Laragh road (same carpark as Trooperstown race).
Registration will take place in GOIMRT base at start of road to carpark.
Race start is approx 800m from registration.
To get to race start from registration jog along road towards Roundwood for 150m to forest entrance on left. Go through barrier and follow fireroad uphill for 600m to upper road. Race starts at barrier across this road.
Please take care when crossing these roads!
Please do not park at the montain rescue base or at barriers at start of race.
Use the carpark at Trooperstown.
Registration will open at 18:00 and close at 19:15 to allow everyone to get to the start.

Race route can be seen in MAPS tab. Thanks to Mick Hanney for creating the map.
A Junior route will be provided if required.

If you're down early there should be opportunity to have a look around the base.
Thank you in advance for supporting mountain rescue!
Rene BorgAug 14 2014, 12:14pmLovely route Mike. Quick questionÆ is the loop at the top clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Mike JordanAug 14 2014, 1:10pmThanks Rene. The loop is clockwise. So when you reach the Wicklow Way on your way out you cross it and continue up Paddock Hill towards Scarr.
Juju JayAug 17 2014, 11:36pmhey dude... can't find the map for this route... id like to be on the hills to take pics for you all... thats if ya don't need my help somewhere or I can do both?...
let me know dude.
peace
Mike JordanAug 18 2014, 9:23amHi Jay. If you look on the main page for the race (not this forum page but the page with all the race details) there is a tab at the top which says 'MAPS'. Click on it and you should see the map of the route. If that still doesn't work let me know but it seems to work fine on my PC. I also just uploaded the map to the IMRA facebook page so you should be able to see it there.
I'm happy for you to take photos but I might also use you as a marshal if you're going to be up on the hill. Thanks!
Chris MarkAug 18 2014, 11:31amHi - any chance someone could give me a lift out to this? Based in D2 but can meet at a bus or Luas station.
Cheers, Chris
ger powerAug 18 2014, 8:02pmCould someone give me a lift car on the blink. Can meet on N11 at Stillorgan or Whites Cross or any dart station.
James CurranAug 19 2014, 9:09amMike, is 7PM OK for volunteers?

Ger, Chris I can pick you up on way but am volunteering so will be a bit early.

Chris, could meet you at Kilmacud Luas, only issue is that I would need to meet you there at 6PM cos I have to be a bit early? Ger could meet at 6:15 at Whites Cross?

Will be going back to pub after for a while.

James Curran.
James CurranAug 19 2014, 9:19amChris, Ger, maybe need to get there earlier , make that 5:45 at the Luas and 6PM at Whites Cross.
Mike JordanAug 19 2014, 4:34pmJames - thanks for giving people a lift down. I'll assign you a role when you get down.
Ger PowerAug 19 2014, 5:31pmThanks a million see you at 5.45
Chris MarkAug 19 2014, 5:56pmHi James - Kilmacud Luas at 5.45 works for me, thanks. My number's 08528six32seven3 if you need to get in touch.
Cheers, Chris
James CurranAug 19 2014, 7:48pmGer will be at Whites cross at 6PM, take about 15 minutes to get from Luas at Kilmacud to Whites cross.

My number is 0876543312, my car is a 04 LS 2853. See you tomorrow.
Ger Power Aug 19 2014, 9:51pmSorry James I put in the wrong time I'll be there at 6. Phone no O877957I46.
p
Mike JordanAug 20 2014, 9:19amForecast is clear and cool with little or no breeze this evening - ideal running conditions!!

Just a quick word on prizes - as this is a fundraising event for mountain rescue we will be only giving a prize for 1st male and 1st female and not runner-ups and age category winners. There will be some spot prizes also.

See you all this evening