Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen BrennanJan 2 2015, 3:20pmHi,

I was going to pay this year's membership and buy some vouchers however, the 2104 items are listed rather than 2015.

Stephen
Richard NunanJan 10 2015, 6:35pmMANDATORY Equipment for this race is Jacket and Hat/Buff. Failure to produce these at the Finish line will result in a DNF
S.M. GriffithJan 15 2015, 2:10pmHi Richard,
What time do you want volunteers to arrive?
Sorcha
Richard NunanJan 15 2015, 2:14pmHi Sorcha,

Volunteers should be there for 9:45am please
Richard NunanJan 15 2015, 2:36pmJust a note on the race on Sunday:

1. There is a new place to register. The Deer Park Golf Club. Registration is 10:00am to 11:30am

2. Please carpool or Park at the promenade and walk.

3. Their is a new race course, the start will be adjacent to the Deer Park golf club

4. Thank you in advance to all those who have volunteered. All volunteers please be available at the clubhouse for 9:45. Please wear warm clothing as we may be standing out in the cold for 2 hours.

5. Please renew your membership online and bring a print out of your confirmation email with you. A copy on your mobile device is also sufficient.

6. Mandatory kit is Jacket and Hat. You will be required to show these at the start line and race finish.
Paul O'GradyJan 15 2015, 3:45pmRichard, I am not trying to be Jesuitical or Smart in this question.

A lot of running jackets don't have hoods - for obvious reasons.

If your jacket has a hood, do you still need a hat? I consider that they provide the same function - so having a hood and a jacket would be doubling up on your requirements, therefore if you have one, you don't need the other?

What are your views? Does a good fulfil your requirement for a hat?
Richard NunanJan 15 2015, 3:58pmHi Paul,

The Mandatory kit is a jacket and a hat. I would have thought that was straight forward.

A jacket and a hat are 2 different items. I expect to see two different items when you cross the finish line.

A hat and a jacket are also 2 different items incase there is further confusion.
Paul O'GradyJan 15 2015, 9:30pmRichard, it was a fairly straightforward question - does a hood count as a hat? They perform the same function. It was not a smart question. Surely a hood is nothing more than a hat stitched on to the collar of a jacket?

But thank you for the tone of your reply.

Is this the approach that the Committee is going to take to requests for clarification on the new rule - or to questions from members from now on?

Therefore could you also please point me to the section in our Association's rules whereby we absolutely delegate the power to make changes to our existing rules to the Committee and allow them to make such changes without consulting the members?
Richard NunanJan 16 2015, 9:33amHi Paul,

I am Race Director for Howth and therefore answering your question in that capacity.

If you can navigate to the bottom of your forum post you will see the link that says Constitution, you will find all the information you need in relation to IMRA's Member elected Committee, the Constitution, the rules etc.

The concern for safety of our members and the introduction of mandatory kit has been discussed at all of the last 3 AGM's. If you had attended or ever volunteered to sit on the committee you would understand that there isn't anything changes without consulting members

If you would like to voice further your opinion i would suggest that you contact the committee directly. If you navigate to the right of the constitution link. There is a link to the committee contacts.
Claire DerousseauxJan 16 2015, 10:15amHi Richard,
I have just renewed my membership and i would like to register for the race on Sunday, however, i cannot find any link to register only see the link to buy the vouchers. Could you please let me know how to register for Sunday's race?

Thank you,
Claire
Jim FitzharrisJan 16 2015, 10:15amI was not able to add a topic on the IMRA Constitution as I intended so will use this thread instead.

Paul O’Grady raised an interesting question about the IMRA Constitution.

The IMRA Constitution and Competition Rules are on the website - look at the links at the bottom of the screen.

I was involved on a small committee that proposed revisions to the constitution some years ago and an amended version, which the subject of much discussion and debate, was duly passed at the 2009 IMRA AGM.

Using the analogy of the Irish Constitution, the IMRA Constitution sets the framework for how the organisation is managed. Just like its national big brother, it is prescriptive on governance but light on operational detail.

The AGM selects the Executive Committee and the operation and management of IMRA is then delegated to the Committee for the next year.

The Executive Committee formulates the rules for events – Competition Rules as they are called. Please see articles 3 and 22 of the Constitution.

There are Competition Rules on the website as formulated by the Executive Committee and these do not require the formal approval of the membership. The preamble to the Rules clearly states:-

“Members are invited to make proposals to the Committee on the Rules.”

Thus, while the Committee makes the rules, the membership can have an input and any reasonable Committee will listen to proposals from members and adapt the rules accordingly.

Cheers,

Jim.
Richard NunanJan 16 2015, 10:22amHi Claire,

Thank you for renewing your membership - i can see you are number 241. You have the option to purchase 10 race vouchers OR turn up on the day and Pay 7 euro.

Please bring a print out of your confirmation email with you so that you dint get charged for membership. A copy on your mobile device is also sufficient.
Richard NunanJan 17 2015, 7:42pmHi Folks,

Very cold out on that course. Volunteers please wrapup well. With the new course we will need a few marshalls out on the course.

Thanks to Gerry for marking the new route. Starting from the car park in the deer park car park and up the back steps onto the deerpark loop.

See you at 9:45. REGISTRATION OPENS at 10:00am
Gerry BradyJan 17 2015, 8:18pmThe race will start at the back of the car park near the hotel with around 100m run before you have a sharp right and left turn along the side of the hotel bar. 50 metres later and you are on the lap at the foot of the Deerpark climb.

The lap is a figure 8 with the Deerpark loop and the Shielmartin loop. All runners do the Deerpark climb and then the Shielmartin loop which starts with a steep climb. Seniors do a SECOND lap of Shielmartin before finishing the Deerpark loop whereas juniors only do one lap.

The course is in good condition but technical so you need to be vigilant. It has many twists and turns so LOOK for the red and white marking tape and not the ass of the runner in front of you!

For the start to work, runners will need to self-seed themselves.

There is plenty of car parking on the seafront in Howth and then a short jog up to the start (the entrance to Deerpark is on your right around 400m before you come to the Dart station). There is also parking at the castle just inside the entrance to Deerpark. The parking at the hotel is primarily for hotel and golf club guests and we need to respect that as well as visiting the bar after the race, so as to be able to use this start again. In a few months the rhododendrons will be in flower.
Brendan LawlorJan 17 2015, 10:49pmWith the best will in the world several people will turn up at Howth tomorrow without the required jacket and hat - please bring along a spare if you have one so you can loan it out - it might stop Richard from getting too cranky and DNFing all round him... good luck with it everyone !
Martin BagnallJan 18 2015, 2:10pmA great race today, it's nice to get back into the swing of things. I liked the new start at Deer Park, much better than the slog around the GAA pitch!

Thank you to Richard and the team for organising, great job.
barney cramptonJan 18 2015, 8:03pmHi. Missing result from howth race today.

Sinead Dunphy, race no. 46.

Finished ahead of Claire deroussaux

Finished behind David butler 80

Approx time 44.25

Position 160 (Pending any other changes)

Very grateful if you could update results thanks
Pól Ó MurchúJan 18 2015, 8:03pm"Provisional" results live now. I have a small number of runners with no times so if you know your time and you are not on the list please let me know. Also any error in times/ numbers etc please mail me on pol.omurchu@imra.ie.
barney cramptonJan 18 2015, 8:05pmThanks pol
Pól Ó MurchúJan 18 2015, 8:24pmSinead result is there Barney...think you might have just been a bit quick on the trigger...
Pól Ó MurchúJan 18 2015, 8:24pmSinead result is there Barney...think you might have just been a bit quick on the trigger...
Paul O'GradyJan 18 2015, 8:40pmThank you to Richard and the volunteer team for a great race.

A new route, even if it is unintentional is always a nice surprise.
Richard NunanJan 18 2015, 9:44pmGreat start to the season.

Thanks to all the marshals today, especially Gerry, Mary and Matthew who marked and marshaled out on the new course. There was a lot of shivering done by the poor guys writing numbers at the finish. a tough task with such a short fast race.

Thanks again to Pol for organizing the golf club and for organizing soup and sandwiches.

Finally thanks to all who ran and for checking one anothers kit at the start line.. No DNS's.
Jesko ZimmermanJan 19 2015, 10:52amHi,

That was indeed a great race. Unfortunately I'm not showing up in the results. I know my number was called out correctly when finishing (and no one tried to reach me as 'missing') so I'm a bit surprised I don't have a result. Race number was 254 and my time was about 46:30 according to Strava. Looking at the list my number may have been mixed up with 284. Could anyone check?

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Jesko
Jean O'Neill2Jan 19 2015, 10:32pmI too don't feature in the results. My time was about 46 mins. My number is 514, I lifted up my purple jacket to show it at the finish, and called it out when I was asked. I suspect that Jesko is the man who finished behind me, as I had overtaken him (?) in the last km and run hard to the finish-I crossed the line very slowly. Great race, good start to 2015. Thanks to everyone.
Pól Ó MurchúJan 19 2015, 11:41pmJesko and Jean found both of you on one of the manual results and down as 25 (254) and 513 (514) on the other. Times added should be correct to about 10 seconds.
Siobhain McArdleJan 20 2015, 12:04amHi,

I picked up man's XL dark fleece by mistake after the race on Sunday. I picked it up along with a bundle of my things that I had left by the registration table. I did not notice it till this evening!

If this is yours. I apologise. I will return it to you.
Jean O'Neill2Jan 20 2015, 12:20amGlad you found me. Thanks!
Jesko ZimmermanJan 20 2015, 11:16amThanks Pol, that's great!
The minute between crossing the finish and realising I forgot to stop my Strava flew by!