Irish Mountain
Running Association

GOAL Relay Race - Killiney Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DohertyJan 7 2015, 3:34pmGiven the number of headtorches I saw going up & down Djouce a few weeks back there seems to be plenty of appetite for wandering the hills in darkness. Some night navigation training might be in order! What better place to start than the sheltered parks of Dublin of a Saturday evening. Can't go wrong... work your way up to Ballinascorney which will be a tougher challenge.

Beginners are welcome as long as you're over 16 and not afraid of the dark. You can try it out in pairs/groups if you prefer and if you're new just ask the organisers to give you a few pointers.

There's typically a short course (aimed at beginners) and a long (aimed at more experienced souls). About 20-odd IMRA regulars took part last year, so you'll be in good company!

Sat 10 January Phoenix Park -- easy
Sat 17 January Deer Park Estate -- easy
Sat 24 January Ballinascorney -- could be challenging
Sat 31 January Bushy Park -- easy
Sat 7 February Killiney Hill -- can be tricky
Sat 14 February [TBC]

More details are on http://dbn.orienteering.ie/2015/ and even more on http://www.orienteering.ie/fixture
Paul SmythJan 7 2015, 3:46pmPlease note that the Ajax event on Feb. 7th. will take place at Glendoo Ridge West and not in Killiney Hill as originally advertised (the Orienteering.ie Fixtures have not yet been updated with this information). This event will be more challenging than the other park events in the series. Full details will be available nearer the event.
Gavan DohertyJan 7 2015, 3:53pmIf you can get around Glendoo Ridge in the dark you're a Nav Ninja. The Art O'Neill people will be begging you to act as a guide...!

The preceding few events are a good warmup.
Kevin O'RiordanJan 13 2015, 10:27pmNice event in the Park last week.

FYI Deer park next week has been postponed in case anyone turns up and is disappointed.
Paul SmythFeb 4 2015, 11:53pmFinal details for the Ajax Night Orienteering Event this coming Saturday (7th. Feb. 2015) at Glendoo Ridge West, are now available on our website at ajax.orienteering.ie.
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2015, 10:25pmThe forum thread for the Kiliney race seems to have gotten mixed up with a night running discussion?

John Fitzgerald asked today to be added as a volunteer for this race. The RD can do this I guess.
Brian O MurchuMar 30 2015, 9:56pmThanks to everyone who's volunteered thus far.....we now have a full compliment of volunteers except for a laptop operator
Brian O MurchuMar 30 2015, 9:57pmmmmh....night nav seems to be crossing with Killiney Relay
Alan KilbrideApr 15 2015, 8:22amHi,

I was wondering is it possible to run 7.5k tonight? Or is it only 1 lap of 2.5k per individual.

I would like to run 7.5k if possible?

Thanks,
Alan.
Graham K. BusheApr 15 2015, 10:56pmThanks to all the volunteers. Great course, evening and atmosphere. Looking forward to more of the same over the coming months :)
James ClancyApr 16 2015, 12:56pmThanks a mil Brian and Volunteers for a great new route, well marked and always great craic with the teams.