Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Peaks

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan DelaneySep 12 2016, 6:59pmHi Joe, in previous races there was a free route choice back from the Bog Road. Is it now compulsory to revisit the peaks on the way back?
Joe LalorSep 12 2016, 7:13pmBrendan, For one year only there was a free route choice home. This year, as per instructions on event page, runners must punch into each control out and back. The reasons for this is to prevent accidental crossing of private land on Killakee and Cruagh.
Inigo AlanaSep 13 2016, 9:04amWill there be a ~20km short course (up to Bog Road and back, skipping Kippure) like last year? Please?
Joe LalorSep 13 2016, 9:32amYes,there will be a shorter course out to Old Bog Road checkpoint and back. Early start for 160% runners only at 10.00
Inigo AlanaSep 13 2016, 9:39amThank you, Joe. I suppose that there is no free route choice back to Ticknock for the shorter course either?
Joe LalorSep 13 2016, 10:01amNo, I want to keep it tight, too many variables the other way.
Gavan DuffySep 18 2016, 10:36pmHi Joe, is the route easy enough to figure out or is there a high chance of getting lost. Should it be treated as a Nav Challenge? Thanks
Joe LalorSep 19 2016, 10:18amGavan, The first two controls to Tibradden are pretty straight forward. From Tibradden to Glendoo the optimum route is across country on quite rough ground. There are easier ways but longer so if you want to be competitive you really need to know your way so a recei or two are needed. The route up Kippure in bad weather has in the past causes problems. Like the Nav.Challenge races you click into orienteering controls at each summit visited but unlike the NC you have loads of scope for doing your homework in the coming 2 weeks
Inigo AlanaSep 19 2016, 10:40amI did a recce yesterday, Ticknock to Glendoo and back (+584m). It is rough and quite wet in parts. If you're not familiar with the area or map & compass, I strongly recommend you get up there before the race. Yesterday the weather got so bad at some stage that for a while I couldn't see where I was going. If there's good visibility is should be straight forward enough.

On top of Glendoo I found the kids shoe nearly buried under the mud near the fence post. The dog lead is still wrapped around the post but the paint is gone. I did my best to tie the shoe up on to the post again but the wire was disintegrating in my hands. I can't guarantee it will still be there on race day. I took a picture if you want to put it up on the events page.

Finally, beware of old rusty barb wire when your running near fences. There's quite a few bits lying around, some free some still tied to posts. You only tend to see them after you have them around your legs.
Paul O'GradySep 19 2016, 11:15amI am very disappointed that I wont be running this race this year, as it is one of the best races on the calendar - and it always gave me a good preparation for the Dublin Marathon.

The short course leaving out the assault of Kippure is within everyone's ability.

In my opinion, there are only 3 tricky bits:

1) Finding the "white sands" road to bring you from Cruagh/Glendoo to the Military Road.
2) Coming off Kippure in cloud. Myself and Donal didn't take a bearing one year and ended up heading North instead of North West - we realised our mistake when we started to see the light reflecting off the Glenasmole Reservoir - but the less said about that the better. If you have a clear day, you can see the trail back to the military road without issue.
3) Finding the correct exit from the "white sands" road to get you back on to Cruagh/Glendoo. (leaving a little pile of rocks or similar marker always helps).

1 + 3 are capable of being recceed in an afternoon - about 6K return trip from the carpark at Cruagh. 2 just requires a simple bearing on the top of Kippure.

I hope everyone enjoys the race - and if you don't fancy the full route, the "short" course is still a really great day in the hills.
Liam VinesSep 19 2016, 2:20pmHi Joe.. If it's any help to you I can put the controls out on Kippure and Glendoo and bring them back in..
Liam
Joe LalorSep 19 2016, 2:32pmThanks Liam, Will get back to you if I need that covered.

Joe
Joe LalorSep 20 2016, 1:39pmAnyone available to do first aid on Sat. 1st Oct?
Gordon PlaceSep 25 2016, 10:06pmWas up there today and didn't see any sign of a shoe or lead, pretty sure I was in the right place, i.e. the one nearest bog road
Maike JürgensSep 25 2016, 10:59pmMike and myself were up there and found a shoe, somewhat old and whethered but seems to have been red. velcro closing and attached to the wire, about halfway down. not sure i saw paint...
Laurence QuinnSep 25 2016, 11:42pmGordon, I was up there on Saturday and saw the shoe and a bit of paint on the fence post.

It is the southernmost point of this route, maybe you can compare with your own route if you were carrying a GPS: https://www.strava.com/activities/723808757
Gordon PlaceSep 26 2016, 7:38amCheers Laurence, yes that's where I was, must have just missed them. It was belting down hail stones so I didn't hang around too long
Peter BellSep 26 2016, 8:41amWent up yesterday eve. The shoe was on the ground, I tied it back up as best I could. The wire is fairly rusted. You can just about make it out from the fence comming from tibradden.
John Keane77Sep 26 2016, 9:42pmI was up on Gledoo this evening, lovely evening for a recce. The now infamous shoe was still on the post, i posted a photo on twitter under #dublinpeaks
Joe LalorSep 28 2016, 9:12amAttention Liam Vines

Hi Liam, I will take you up on offer to put out kite on Kippure for Saturdays race.
If you are not running you can collected it on Sat. at start at 10.00, that will give you plenty of time.
If running contact me at 0861057097 to arrange collection.
Joe LalorSep 28 2016, 9:36pmAll runners intending to do Dublin Peaks this Saturday be sure to have registered on site before Friday evening or have vouchers.
Early start for 160% runners only at 10.00, all others off at 10.30.
The cut-off times have been changed on the events page to reflect the new early than usual start.
Weather for Sat. looking good but be aware of required kit list. There will be a random check at checkpoint 4
Paul SmythSep 30 2016, 4:59pmJoe, when you say a random check I presume you mean some runners will be stopped and some won't. As this is a competitive race this will be unfair to runners who are stopped. Last year there was only 30 secs between 2nd. and 3rd. place for example and a gear check could easily exceed this. If you are going a random check then it would seem fair to record the time taken for the check and then adjust the runners finish time accordingly.
Warren SwordsSep 30 2016, 6:33pmOnce again, I've missed the cut for online entry.

If anyone would like to sell me a race entry tomorrow, that would be swell.
Warren SwordsSep 30 2016, 6:34pmOnce again, I've missed the cut for online entry.

If anyone would like to sell me a race entry tomorrow, that would be swell.
Inigo AlanaSep 30 2016, 6:40pmNo worries. I've got a few left.
Joe LalorSep 30 2016, 10:14pmPaul, All runners will be stopped at Old Bog road (out & back) to have their control card punched by marshall so no extra delay will be incured by anyone who has there jacket in plain view.
Water/jellies/bananas will be available there also
Andre Van BarneveldOct 1 2016, 7:53pmThanks to Joe and all the volunteers again today, fantastic event and a long time standing around in the rain for the runners, thanks for your time and great craic, really great race cheers
James H CahillOct 1 2016, 9:19pmGreat day in the hills today. Conditions meant that "Glenwho?" and "Kippwhere?" presented particular challenges. The Dublin Peaks is a classic race and the forced introduction of Glendoo last year when Cruagh developed an allergy to runners has only added to the race. Great day, great race and thank you Joe and all the volunteers for giving up your time, in order that we could enjoy ourselves in the hills.
Joe LalorOct 1 2016, 9:41pmGlad you all seemed to enjoy the muck and the slime today.
A big thank you to Keith, Dan, Adrian and Liam for a dig out today

Below provisional results, let me know if you have any issues before I sent to results sec. for publication

Long Course

Lawrence Quinn 3:03:15
Warren Swords 3:03:16
Andre Van Barneveld 3:07:43
Liam Vines 3:18:57
John McGreger 3:19:00
Mike Jordan 3:24:25
Olivier Privat 3:31:53
Gordan Place 3:39:48
Padraig Muldoon 3:43:40
Roisin McDonnell 3:44:42
John Keane 3:54:34
Gerry Byrne 3:53:38
Paul Symth 4:04:58
Keith O’Shea 4:18:45
Padraig Somers 4:18:53
Sly Ivers 4:18:58
Paul Morrissey 4:20:32
Luke Rafferty 4:22:37
James Cahill 4: 24::43
Barry Williams 4:26:10
Michael Hallahan 4:28:05
Niamh O’Boyle 4:28:17
Killin Brennan 4:28:18
Orla McEvoy 4:28:50
Ruth Lynam 4:39:04
Daniela Boehm 4:45:26
Mick Byrne 4:46:48
Ray O’Connor 4:46:50
Maike Jurgens 4:53:22
Gavan Duffy 5:41:27
Brian McGuckin DNF
Mark Delaney DNF

Short Course

Jonathan Quinn 2:11:10
Inigo Alana 3:04:05
Jose Romero 3:04:11
Lorcan Farrell 3:05:05
James Curran 3:07:10
Justin Rea 3:18:22
Liam VinesOct 1 2016, 10:00pmGreat day in the hills to day fair play to Joe and crew.
This really is a great race short enough to have to run fast but long enough to hurt..
Luke RaffertyOct 2 2016, 8:52amThanks to Joe and crew. Great race :-)
Gordon PlaceOct 3 2016, 11:05amThanks to Joe and the volunteers for a great race
James CurranOct 4 2016, 2:40pmBrilliant run. Thanks to Joe and volunteers.
Karen DevenneyOct 12 2016, 7:16pmApologies for the delay folks but results are officially up. Drop me a mail if there are any issues