Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glasnamullen and an anti-clockwise lap of Djouce

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
S.M. GriffithMay 4 2017, 9:01pmGreetings Runners...

The Glasnamullen Race is fast approaching and I am still down several volunteer roles. If (like me!) you are feeling a bit crocked after Carrick and fancy taking it easy after the short and sharp Scalp race, please consider putting yourself forward to volunteer at Glasnamullen on May 17th.

I am particularly in need of a laptop operator and race marker, as well as multiple other non-running volunteers.

Remember- to qualify for the 'End of League Prize,' you need to have volunteered twice in a non-running capacity. Plus it's a good thing to do anyhow.

In other news, for the purposes of ensuring variety, the prize-giving venue for this race has broken with tradition and will be in The Powerscourt Arms in Enniskerry. There will be sambos.

Also in other good news, there will also be post-race flapjacks and lemonade on sale in the car park (i.e. the field). Cian Rea is fundraising for Habitat for Humanity, so will be selling his wares for same. Please support his commendable work by bringing along a few bob and you will be rewarded with aforementioned flapjacks and lemonade. I understand these went down a treat at Tonlagee.
S.M. GriffithMay 4 2017, 9:04pmp.s. webmaster- I would be grateful if you could attach this thread to The Glasnamullen Race. I had thought it would do so automatically because it didn't work the other way around i.e. it didn't work when I went into the race and tried to begin a topic in the forum. Please and thanks :)
Pól Ó MurchúMay 4 2017, 11:57pmThis is attached but if you name an event thread "Volunteers Required" well that is what will show up in the forum... I shall change the title now :-)
Lorcan FarrellMay 5 2017, 12:27amHi Sorcha, I've put myself down as laptop operator for this race. I've done it a few times before so I'm fairly used to it at this stage. Not so familiar with new chip timing but will come up to scratch at next Scalp. I see Inigo is down for shadow laptop operator so good to have two on for a busy race.
S.M. GriffithMay 5 2017, 7:08am@El Presidente- that'll teach me! Clearly Carrick also impacted on my technological problem- solving prowess. Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

@Lorcan- thanks so much for stepping up! Much appreciated!
S.M. GriffithMay 5 2017, 8:52amP.p.s. If anyone is contemplating the role if Race Marker, I am recceing the route on Sunday so you'd be very welcome to come along. Weather forecast is good too :)
Stuart ScottMay 5 2017, 11:22amHi Sorcha,

I can do the marking, as usual, provided you don't mind it done the night before? The wind only blew the markings away one of the years...

The lovely open mountain adventure section is a bit of a nightmare to mark however so a second pair of hands would be appreciated!

Stuart
S.M. GriffithMay 5 2017, 4:16pmThanks so much Stuart and Janes for agreeing to be Race Markers. I will email ye both later.

Thanks to everyone else for coming forward also. I could still do with a few more volunteers please!
Brendan LawlorMay 11 2017, 12:07pmHi

Thanks in advance as usual to Lucy and Peter Molloy who are providing the field for parking and registration. This year they have asked that the gate donations go to the Martin Family Trust. The Martin's are a Wicklow family who have two young sons diagnosed with a very rare disease - you can read more details here

https://www.idonate.ie/2997_the-martin-family-.html

or here

https://www.facebook.com/themartinfamilytrust/?pnref=story

We all hope that Ciaran pulls through and that Cathal is as comfortable as possible for the rest of his life
S.M. GriffithMay 11 2017, 11:01pmThanks Brendan for that. I echo your sentiments.

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered- I will be contacting you all in the next couple of days with information re: your role etc. I have enough volunteers now. To amyone feeling volunteery- please put your name down on any one of the many other upcoming races.
S.M. GriffithMay 14 2017, 9:33pmJunior Route Announcement: there will be a Junior Route for this race- it's an out and back approx 4K leaving from same starting point and following the same race route up until the turnaround point where a marshal will be situated. First section consists of fire road, then it follows a track to a small stream, and then goes uphill over a grassy section to the turnaround point. It's all very runnable.
S.M. GriffithMay 15 2017, 7:36pmPre entry will close at 6pm tomorrow evening - Tuesday - absolutely NO entries after that!!

Everybody MUST sign in individually (and legibly too please) i.e. pre entries - vouchers and new vouchers

Don't forget your Jacket (you will be DNF'd without it)- race number and timing chip...

Also please remember that this race has a NPWS limit of 200 runners.

Early start at 7pm.

Junior race approx 4km, leaving just after main race.

Parking charges at the field apply, which will go to charity.

Route slightly different from last year- the approx 500m section over heather after the boardwalk is done away with due to overgrowth, so you will be continuing on down the track.

Prizegiving in The Powerscourt Arms, Enniskerry :)
Nauset GonzalezMay 16 2017, 10:55amWhere is the registration?
Is there a parking area?
Nauset GonzalezMay 16 2017, 11:00amI have not chip.. I need it to run ?, it's my second race
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2017, 11:10amNauset

From Race Instructions - Car park and registration is at Grid Ref O 203 090 Google maps link for parking/registration https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1186233,-6.2038591,465m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

From Sorcha-Don't forget your Jacket (you will be DNF'd without it)- race number and timing chip...

If you didn't get a chip last week, get one this week
Nauset GonzalezMay 16 2017, 11:45amThank you very much for your quick response.
How do I get the chip?
Buy it at IMRA Products?
Thanks...
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2017, 11:52amWe will give you a chip which you keep for the year
Sharon BaileyMay 16 2017, 2:51pmI just signed up last week & completed my first beginner run at the Scalp. My race time was 155% of winner. I was wondering if I could start early doing the 10k tomorrow?
S.M. GriffithMay 16 2017, 3:31pmHi Sharon,
That's an impressive first run- well done! Early starts are for people with an average time of 160% plus of winning time. So that doesn't include you. You're too fast!
Kieran MorrisroeMay 16 2017, 4:08pmI just got membership and race vouchers. Do i need register?
Kieran MorrisroeMay 16 2017, 4:08pmI just got membership and race vouchers. Do i need register?
Sharon BaileyMay 16 2017, 4:11pmThanks Sorcha I found I've a lot to learn on the hills! 155% is close to 160% & its a longer distance....but ok I'll stay with the 7:30 start so!
S.M. GriffithMay 16 2017, 5:43pmYou're sorted so Kieran. You can sign in tomorrow with vouchers as you have membership.
Ken PeetersMay 16 2017, 7:09pmHello,

I just got to notice about the race tomorrow. I am living in Sweden and working in Dublin this week. Is it still possible for me to register for tomorrow's run?

Kind regards,
Ken
Antonia CosgroveMay 16 2017, 7:10pmI missed the 6pm registration cutoff today and don't think I'll be doing enough races to warrant the €50 voucher. Can I enter the race on 28th May online and apply this against race tomor? Thanks
Stefanie UnlandMay 16 2017, 7:27pmJust in reverse of a previous question:
If you have average results of greater than 160% of winning time (ie 175% to 180% or even greater) is there an obligation to take the early start?
I have taken the early start on previous occasions but would like to try the normal start for a change. Though, I understand if being told otherwise so as not to have people waiting for me at the finish for too long.
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2017, 8:04pmKen, sorry but registration for new members is closed for tomorrow- it will reopen on Thursday

Antonia, you may be able to get a voucher stamp from another member tomorrow ( assuming you are registered for this year)

Stefanie, I would advise an early start but it is optional
Barry DooleyMay 17 2017, 9:41amRan my first race of the year last week at the Scalp, race number is nowhere to be found this week! I'll be up to do the early start tonight. Just like to give advance warning that I'll need a new race number(1524). Apologies for the inconvenience.
John McCannMay 18 2017, 12:02amThanks Sorcha and all the volunteers for a really enjoyable and well organised race tonight
John CondonMay 18 2017, 9:19amWell done last night Sorcha. Thanks to you and the rest of the team for a great race
Hazel ThompsonMay 18 2017, 9:26amThanks for a great race last night.

Regarding early starters, there were a lot of comments and discussions about "fast" people running the early start and getting an advantage. Can you confirm the rule, that if a person does an early start and runs faster than 160% they are given the time of 160%?

Thanks
Miriam MaherMay 18 2017, 9:36amHi Sorcha - super race, well organised, loved it. Well done on debut RD! Many thanks to you and all the volunteers.
Keith MulveyMay 18 2017, 10:00amWell done Sorcha and Co. on a great race and on your RD debut. Even kept the midges at bay! Almost festival atmosphere after with lemonade / flapjacks. Found 2nd flapjack in glovebox this morning - happy commute!
Ciara JonesMay 18 2017, 10:21amHi all.
I would like to say a huge Thank You to each and every person who helped me last night after I hurt my ankle. I'm sorry that I don't know the names of very many of the people who helped but you know who you are and it was so very deeply appreciated.
I am very sore today but will live to take on another mountain, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Kindest regards,
Ciara
Ps. Loved the course last night. Tough climbs but fabulous views and lots of great running sections.
Stuart ScottMay 18 2017, 11:28amWell done Sorcha on a great directorial debut last night. You took to it like a natural!
S.M. GriffithMay 18 2017, 1:36pmHi All,

Thanks very much to all my volunteers last night- especially Stuart Scott and James Cahill (who didn't even get to race due to the NPWS limit) for marking the course. A special thanks also to Brendan Lawlor for taking me under his wing and showing me the ropes, and to Alice Clancy who was kept busy as First Aid.

Regarding early starts: there were a lot of people who took the early start who shouldn't have. The rule is ONLY those with average times of 160% plus can take the early start. We were a bit under pressure last night dealing with the NPWS limit, so it was harder than it would have been otherwise to 'police' the early start rule. Anyone thinking of doing an early start, please make it easy for the RD / volunteers/ lap top operator, and only do it if you know you fall within this category. Dealing with early starters causes difficulty with results, so do the right thing please! We wouldn't have to 'police' this if everyone self-selected correctly.

With regard to race numbers, there were a lot of people wearing their race numbers in such a way as to make it invisible / barely visible. The rule is that race numbers go on the torso (not on the leg / thigh / hip or back) and are not minimised into tiny little squares that look a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks to everyone who didn't get to race due to the NPWS limit for understanding our obligation to enforce that rule and being respectful when we were doing so. It's not a nice thing to have to do. None of us like doing it.

@ Ciara- glad to see you are well enough to type Ciara (even if still sore!) Best of luck with your recovery and see you on the hills soon.

Finally, having done RD once now, I can tell you that my main learning is just how much work is involved in planning these races and how grateful we should all be to the old reliables (you know who you are) who make it possible for the rest of us to enjoy ourselves so regularly in this way. The committee are also doing an unbelievable amount of work behind the scenes and I only caught a glimpse of that in the couple of weeks I spent getting this race ready. Anyhoo, as much as I enjoyed it, I am done now as RD for this year and am looking forward to getting back racing.
Derek O Sullivan May 18 2017, 2:42pmre: early start comments

I take it as quite the compliment as being referred to as "fast".

this is my first year doing anything like this.
my last 4 races: 158%, 153%, 159%, 148% and the fact i was carpooling people with 160% plus averages and given this is the longest distance of a run I have ever undertaken in my life of any kind flat road or trail, I figured the early start was best for me.

I find it pathetic that a contributor here seeks my time to be changed to 160% even if its under, but do it if you want, I run for fun, fitness and the challenge is to finish. I am not trying to cheat anyone or get an advantage. i couldnt give too hoots about a league standing or whatever i gained an advantage in.

Poor form. but if this is a rule of course I will abide by it, but like i say , i am new and didnt think it was an issue given the above.

bar that note on the forum, really really enjoyed it and a big thank you as always to all the volunteers
Stuart ScottMay 18 2017, 2:51pmHi Derek,

It is a rule, mainly because in the past some have deliberately taken the early start to gain an unfair advantage in races where bottlenecks occur. That's clearly not the case with you and I doubt the comments were aimed at you either.

That said, I just checked the Beginners link and the Beginners FAQ on the home page and neither mention the rule (so you weren't to know). Maybe an admin can amend them to make it more obvious?

Stuart
Jeff SwordsMay 18 2017, 2:55pmIn fairness Derek, it's neither pathetic nor poor form. Hazel was reasonably enquiring as to the existence of a rule.

Like Sorcha says, early starters, bar the odd occasion, are good at self policing but if you're in any way at the top of that group you will get an advantage.

Just because you're not running for position or league standing, doesn't mean the persons with a finishing time behind you aren't.
Brian FennessyMay 18 2017, 2:59pmSorcha well done to you for stepping up and taking on the RD role its was really well run. Well done to all the other volunteers and race markers.
James HallMay 18 2017, 3:02pmTotally agree with Sorcha on this one. I was out watching last night and could not believe some of the people who took the early start.

It is not just unfair on the genuine early starters, it is also unfair on the organisers and those responsible for the results. The finishing photos tell the story - lots of early starters finishing with the leading runners. It becomes a mess. If you get home before the winners or in amongst the top 20 finishers or so, then you probably should not have started early!
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2017, 3:11pmHi Stuart and others

The '160% plus for early an start' is advisory and at the discretion of the Race Directors about applying a time penalty (which would bring someone up to 160% of the finishers time) - someone on the committee may correct me if my interpretation on this is incorrect. I've only ever applied a time penalty once

Early starts are for slower runners (at least 160% of the winning time and this may be increased soon) and designed to avoid finish marshals having to wait too long for these runners (and to allow the early starters to finish amongst the main field). Taking an early start does confer an advantage on several of our race routes (including last nights one). We had far too many early starters last night (nearly a quarter of the field) and many of these early starters were well under the 160% - but its over to the committee now to decide what to do next.
I personally hope it doesn't become a hard rule as it will be difficult to police and may discourage some ' early start' candidates from going out early

As ever with IMRA as with life its hard to please every one

BIG, BIG, BIG well done to Sorcha who will be giving Damien Coyle a run for his money in Race Director of the Year award at the annual IMRA Oscars later this year

On to Scarr next and remember its an NPWS capped race again
Angus TynerMay 18 2017, 3:23pmStuart in the event details
"There will be an early start for runners whose race time average is over 160% of the winning time. Early start will commence at 7.00pm."
Agree that it should be noted in FAQ etc though it's only for races >8k.

I think only runners usually greater than 180% should do early start, this would be about 20-30 runners. The 160% rule could still apply to discourage.

For those dealing with results, and I've done laptop a few times, the less early starts the better. A clear record of all early starters needs to be taken, an accurate start time and hence the time difference between it and main field needs to be calculated and then this needs to be applied to all the early starters. It is quite a bit of extra work and hassle especially during the main bulk of finishers.

The main reason for having early start is to enable an earlier finish time for the marshals etc out on the course.
The advantages for the competitors have already been spelled out.

Derek, great that you are enjoying these runs so much, and you now know the early start is not for you regardless of the length.
Warren SwordsMay 18 2017, 3:26pmGreat race last night. Love that course and the Djouce ramp never gets easier. The descent is outstanding though.

Derek: No one is accusing you of cheating, nor is the person looking to enforce the 160% rule pathetic.

Your time will be changed to 160% automatically, as you are an early starter. That's the rule.

The 160% rule is there for good reason - allows IMRA races to be inclusive as possible while being fair.

Hence the option of early start to encourage as many people to race IMRA as possible.

Early starters are for those that will finish 160% plus of the winners time. That's not you Derek, so you should be starting at 7.30pm.

It's a race and someone with a clear trail ahead of them has an advantage.

You may not give a hoot but those racing behind you do.

Well done on your first four races.
Derek O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:14pmi think the workings of that rule needs to be explained a little more clearly to beginners going forward.

but like I said, if thats the way its done, thats the way it is done, I honestly don't care
Kevin O'RiordanMay 18 2017, 4:15pmI took the early early early start. Can my time from last year be added to the results please? https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1353 .

Thanks muchly.
Deirdre O'RiordanMay 18 2017, 4:23pmBad attitude Derek
James HigginsMay 18 2017, 4:35pmI have to say a big thanks to a few people after my tumble last night. Firstly to John Bell who was very good to stay with me on the long trek back to the start. John was unfortunate to miss the race because of the 200 limit. (There is something fundamentally wrong when he and others travels such a distance and end up not being able to race.) Thanks to Alice Clancy for patching me up – your good work was complimented by a doctor in the SwiftCare Clinic. Thanks also to my fellow car-pooler, Jim Fitzharris and to Aidan Fitzpatrick for getting me to SwiftCare and home afterwards. At the time a good few runners stopped to offer assistance and while I may not have appeared appreciative then I really was. It is good to see that the spirit caring for other runners is still strong in IMRA.
Louisa O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:37pmThanks so much to Sorcha for taking on that role, can't have been easy with the 200 runners cut off and the early starters and early early starters ( hands up) but at my average of over 200% of winning time you'd still be there waiting for me after all the others were in the Pub!
I start early but I always move to the side if/when the fast finishers catch up with me, it's enjoyable watching them dash down the mountain and cheering them on is part of the experience. I've been with IMRA for over 17 years and it's always been a very friendly and inclusive club.
Well done Derek on your runs, you must be very fit...once you're in the main pack you'll give them a run for their money :) It's all about getting to run with like minded people and enjoying it.
Also lads can we keep this forum for constructive criticism if we need to criticise? It shouldn't get personal.
Louisa O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:37pmThanks so much to Sorcha for taking on that role, can't have been easy with the 200 runners cut off and the early starters and early early starters ( hands up) but at my average of over 200% of winning time you'd still be there waiting for me after all the others were in the Pub!
I start early but I always move to the side if/when the fast finishers catch up with me, it's enjoyable watching them dash down the mountain and cheering them on is part of the experience. I've been with IMRA for over 17 years and it's always been a very friendly and inclusive club.
Well done Derek on your runs, you must be very fit...once you're in the main pack you'll give them a run for their money :) It's all about getting to run with like minded people and enjoying it.
Also lads can we keep this forum for constructive criticism if we need to criticise? It shouldn't get personal.
Louisa O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:38pmThanks so much to Sorcha for taking on that role, can't have been easy with the 200 runners cut off and the early starters and early early starters ( hands up) but at my average of over 200% of winning time you'd still be there waiting for me after all the others were in the Pub!
Louisa O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:39pmsorry, could someone delete one of my comments...no-one needs to see my stuff twice!!!
Nauset GonzalezMay 18 2017, 4:43pmGreat race, we can enjoy this sport without spending much. Thanks to the volunteers and the organization. 10 points.
Louisa O'SullivanMay 18 2017, 4:45pmA few of us were thinking would it be an idea for the races where you have a limit of 200 that everyone needs to pre-register for the race. Perhaps there could be a option to tick 'paying with voucher' and then you wouldn't have a situation where someone is travelling long distances and not been able to run, also it might make it easier for the organisers to know how many would be running.
Maybe we could do this for every race. I think we're all used to having to pre-register for any other type of running/biking etc event.
Jeff SwordsMay 18 2017, 4:55pmI think it further takes the spontaneity out of it. 2 out of the last 3 or 4 races I would have left an unused entry as I couldn't make the races. I often don't know if I can make it until that evening. I could end up spamming the registration for every race just to hold an entry which may go unused (only really an issue for the NPWS limited races).
Stuart ScottMay 18 2017, 5:07pmLouisa's idea is very clever (especially the 'pay with voucher when you arrive' option) but I agree with Jeff. Quite often something comes up and I miss a race. But a pre-entry rule would lead to a rush to pre-enter 'just in case' and the no-show rate would skyrocket. I'm not sure how best to solve it though as it's clearly annoying for people to drive that far and miss out, especially if they're struggling to make the 7 races. However, from past experience, the numbers quickly die down as the year goes on (possibly because all the hype about the cap leads people to decide not to go) so maybe give it another couple of races and see what happens?
Warren SwordsMay 18 2017, 5:12pmI'd be completely against pre-registration.

If it ain't broke...

There's nothing to solve. Everyone knows when a race has a limit and it's down to luck if you get to run or not.

I'd argue the opposite. No pre-reg for races with limits.

First come, first served.

You'll just have everyone register for races and it'll be a headache to figure out the no-shows.

And I say that as someone who barely makes a lot of IMRA Wednesday races
Miriam MaherMay 18 2017, 5:35pmHave read back over the various comments about the early starter issue with interest for two reasons mainly. 1) I'm a card-carrying early starter with the stats to prove it. Would love it to be otherwise, but until my speed matches my enthusiasm for hill racing - so be it. Therefore it's a useful option for me to have at races likes this. 2) I've done laptop operator on a few occasions now and have shuddering memories of this time last year at Scarr where a bunch of very fast early starters lead to havoc in capturing the downhill finishers. That lead to a similar thread on the forum afterwards to this one. So this thorny issue comes up about once or twice a year it seems. While it's often pointed out how the rule works (and why) on the event page for various races, it's not a fixed feature - maybe it could be? For those only starting out at the IMRA races it's not necessarily clear. Including it in the beginners section would be very useful too.

But.....please let's never forget - rules like this support the fantastic inclusive nature of the IMRA races and also support the essential work of the volunteers. It's not in place to be difficult or punitive. So, with all this chat fresh in the minds of the readers - next week at Scarr (for which I'm doing laptop operator *cough*) help me replace the memories of last year with happy clappy memories for a race where the spirit behind the 160% rule for early starts is adhered to by all participants!
Greg ByrneMay 18 2017, 7:04pmAmazing number of questions and comments… but here is my hopefully constructive contribution…

With respect to the early starts I think it is important to emphasis that early starts help get the volunteers off the mountain at a reasonable hour. Without an early start the summit marshal, course marshals and person(s) de-marking the course could be getting home on Thursday. I do recall once finishing the de-marking of Ballinastoe by headtorch after 11 pm. At weekend races which can last a number of hours you can often see the early starters being visually appreciated by the volunteers. The systems is here for a reason... that said if I recall the 160% rule was mooted when a small number of individuals running between 120-140% started taking early starts. Bad Karma.

So, maybe the early start decisions could be based the winners time rather than race length. Last night is probably just a curiosity with a decent winning time for 10k of 45 to 50 mins, thus giving a 60% value of approx. 30 mins, exactly matching the head start given. Now as early starters tend to run faster than normal without race congestion they will beat their ‘normal’ mark and finish ahead of the leaders.

By winning time it could look like:
<30 mins = no early starts
30-40 mins = early start available to those proven to be >200%
40-60mins = early start available to those proven to be >180%
>60mins = early start available to those proven to be >160%

or there could be different early starts:
winning time <60 mins = 15 means head start
winning time >60 mins = 30 means head start

Race Directors have a lot of freedom to implement these rules as they see fit to their races. Maybe it is just a case of highlighting that “one size fits all” doesn’t work.

At last night’s race I personally felt the number of early starters and the willingness of some to ‘race’ the leaders on the racing line was dangerous. It is one thing while racing to meet and show courtesy to individuals out enjoying the hills, but it is another matter for IMRA to put out 50 runners ahead of a race on narrow & rough terrain. For genuine early starters the speed differential usually makes passing a brief and somewhat safe event, but for those who up their tempo to test themselves against the leaders it makes for difficult conditions all-around.

As highlighted by Miriam, the thing about early start is that it comes up nearly every year, so it might just be a case once again of reminding early starters that they are not participating in the “real race” by going off early. The challenge of the mountain/trail is there, but challenge of the race is with the gun start. As such they must pay the courtesy to those from the main race by giving way. We all appreciate that it is hard to run the trails and look over your shoulder to see who is coming, identify if they are another early starter or not. If in doubt the mannerly thing to do is to move to the side. Those who take advantage of an early start must appreciate that it’s also quite hard to politely say “excuse me, but if it wouldn’t be too much hassle” while chasing down the side of Djouce or another mountain.

I might be a bit harsh here, but to tackle the issue highlighted by Hazel could early start results be excluded from the final league standings? Of course with due deference to age categories if required.

Or maybe we could just start everyone at 7pm???

With respect to pre-registration I think the Ultra showed over a number of years the such a system encourages people to book places they might not be able to fill. I would predict a number questions on this forum from disappointed runners as to why only 150 people ran a sold out race. No easy choices…

Now my real question… with all the time people have to read and post on this thread why is there not more race reports? I am really looking forward to Stuart's article on correct spitting technique and his opinion on the auld snot rocket.
S.M. GriffithMay 18 2017, 8:35pmIN SUMMATION: Many valid points raised by many constructive contributors - all of which will be up for discussion at a higher level I am sure. In this instance, I will not be enforcing the consequence of the early start rule; while the rule itself (which is in existence for a multiplicity of reasons) was stated both on the details page and in the discussion on this very forum, the consequences of breaking said rule was not. Hopefully this communal vent will have paved the way for smoother 'early start' sailing and we can all get on with the business of running up and down mountains and discussing the merits of Stuart's aforementioned letter to the IMRA agony aunt. Happy clapping Miriam!
S.M. GriffithMay 18 2017, 8:54pmThanks Greg for your very entertaining race report :)
Karen DevenneyMay 18 2017, 9:22pmHuge congratulations to Sorcha and co on another fantastic race! A great evening, a few injuries (hope everyone's ok??), a 'touch' of controversy and yummy flapjacks at the finish...what more could you ask for!!

Results are up but a couple of things to note:

All early start results were checked (yes this took a lot of time) and only 3 runners came in under 160% of winner. As they are all relatively new runners, results have not been altered this time but they have been notified of the policy. A number of other Early Starters were 160% on the nose so should probably consider starting at 7.30 going forward

A number of runners who missed the registration cuttoff, still ran with their numbers....their results have been removed (don't bother complaining)

There are still a few people out there without chips....get one next week as very soon, no chip = no result!

Thanks to Stuart for the entertaining drool descriptive....hankies all round as summer league prizes perhaps??

See you all next week
Karen
Anna MusialMay 18 2017, 10:24pmHi,
I have been among the 200 lucky ones to run and I was doing a short course. However, for some reason cannot see my results...
Keith MulveyMay 18 2017, 11:01pmTo all the early starters. I caught a lot of you after the Boardwalk on the technical descent. Thank-you for standing, shuffling, jumping, diving out of my way or allowing me jump over you with a couple of kilos of rocks following soon after me. If I left you coated in a layer of, sweat, spit, drool, dust, blood or snots I apologise. And thanks for shouting great encouragement to me or maybe that was expletives!! Either way we shouldn't forget that each IMRA runner is part of these crazy mini adventures together and we all have our own races within a race even if that be with ourselves. Experienced mountain runners know how and will find a way around other runners, hikers, animlas, trees and rocks. It's part of the fun :-)
Brendan LawlorMay 19 2017, 8:31amWe collected €518 at the parking which has been donated to The Martin Family as per the landowners request - thank you all very much for your generosity
Hazel ThompsonMay 19 2017, 12:11pmI didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone and sorry if I did. The topic of early starters came up in the pub so I thought it was worth discussing in a wider context here.

Personally I think the 160% is too low. Anyone who can run 160% should be able to run with the main race without causing too much of a delay for the volunteers. If everyone who ran over 160% did an early start, there would have been over 60 early starters on Wednesday.

The many reasons why early starts should be discouraged for all except those who need it have been outlined already and the limit was brought in when it seemed that people were taking early starts to gain an advantage or just to get home early. The penalty of giving 160% to any faster runners was to discourage this. You wouldn't go to a road race and ask to start early, just because you needed to get home early.

I am sure if any of the top 10 guys were displaced by a fast runner doing an early start that would change the nature of this topic again - why should it be different for the top 10/top 20 ladies...

I don't want to discourage anyone from coming out for a run but anything that causes extra overhead or an advantage should be avoided.

Thanks again to Sorcha and team for a great race.
Deirdre O'RiordanMay 19 2017, 9:56pmsorry to put my spoke in but I've just noticed my time was recorded as 1.46 instead of 1.15 ish. Was this because I didn't have a timing chip? Although there was one other person without a chip and their time was correct.

its not a huge deal but if it could be corrected I'd appreciate it as its my first race of the year. If not no worries.

thanks guys
Andrew HanneyJun 10 2017, 10:28pmall photos uploaded for this event, it was a painstaking process :( ie one by one.

Tag away :)