Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 12 2017, 10:07pmDelighted to announce that Basecamp & Leki are very proud sponsors of the Wicklow Way Race 2017. Basecamp are offering 20% off to all race participants in the lead up to the event. Please present your race registration email in store to receive the discount.

Race entry is now open!
Sarah BradyApr 21 2017, 9:48amHi! Just wondering will the entry be open for a while or does this usually sell out quickly? :)
Sarah BradyApr 21 2017, 9:49amHi! Just wondering will the entry be open for a while or does this usually sell out quickly? :)
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 22 2017, 8:04amOpen until May 1st.
Sarah BradyApr 24 2017, 12:07pmGreat, thanks Jeff. :)
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 26 2017, 1:26pmA reminder that race entry is open currently and will close at 18:00 on Monday 1st May!!

You have been told.
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 30 2017, 2:17pm**** FINAL REMINDER ****

Race entry is open currently and will close at 18:00 on Monday 1st May.
Graham ColmerMay 3 2017, 9:03amAre there many entered compared to previous years ?
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 3 2017, 9:11amSimilar numbers. Will publish the list this week some time so everyone can speculate and Paul Mahon might do a form guide.
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 3 2017, 9:13am**** RACE DIRECTOR INSTRUCTION ****

Race entry is CLOSED. It closed at 18:00 on Monday 1st May as previously indicated.
Gavin ByrneMay 4 2017, 10:13pmThis may be a stupid question but is the race starting on Friday night or Saturday night. Thanks
Pól Ó MurchúMay 4 2017, 11:50pmActually technically I think it would be classed as Saturday morning... ;-)
Gavin ByrneMay 5 2017, 5:44pmThats what I was thinking. So registration will be Friday.. All good :)
Deirdre O'RiordanMay 5 2017, 9:43pmI'm looking for a volunteer to take a GoPro with them on the race and record 'snapshots of your ultra experience. This is a feaseability test for research I'll be carrying out so it would be really helpful.

I provide the GoPro and I can give you a copy of your video.
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 18 2017, 1:33pm**** RACE DIRECTOR INSTRUCTION ****

Hi, the annual call for volunteers is upon you!

This is a good chance to tick one of your volunteering boxes and watch the loonies running. Please volunteer via the race page, reply to this post or email to wicklowwayrace@gmail.com.

People needed from 02:00 through to 21:00 on June 10th and from Crone Woods to Clonegal. So your time/place based excuses will have to be good to exclude you for the whole time frame!
Tim ChapmanMay 18 2017, 5:36pmJeff my love, any info around mandatory kit?
Cheers
Gavin ByrneMay 22 2017, 9:38pmAny list of the runners entered going to be put up? Thanks!
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 23 2017, 1:31pmGavin, list of participants will go up next week.

Tim, darling, summary list of kit below, to be carried at all times. I'll send a race pack by email to all participants in the coming weeks that will outline in further details the requirements.

1.Waterproof jacket and full length leg cover
2. Mobile Phone
2. Light & Hivis
3. Map of Route & Compass
4. Food & Drink
5. Whistle
6. Gloves & Hat
7. Cup, for use at check points
Paul KevilleMay 23 2017, 2:17pmJeff hope you don't mind a few awkward and stupid questions in regards to kit to be carried. Will a reflective red light be sufficient instead of a high vis? In regards to a hat. Will a buff be sufficient or baseball cap etc.in regards to a cup? Will this have to be carried during the race. Any recommendations as to what type of cup or where to buy one. It's the first time I've seen a cup on a kit list
Thanks paul
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 23 2017, 9:57pmHi Paul, I'll send the full details in the race pack as previously mentioned but to answer your questions see below.

You need to be carrying some highly reflective material at all times. Doesn't have to be a full on builders hi vis but it does have to reflect a light source back in the same way. The reason being it is there as a fail safe should your light fail, you will be visible to others with light. So no, a light will not cover that requirement.

Buff will do. And as it happens all runners will get one as part of their entry this year so if you forget that we can help you on that one. :)

There are several reasons for the requirement to carry a cup. One is to cut down on the waste the race generates by removing disposable cups from check points. Two is to reduce the amount of material the volunteers have to transport to the check points. Three is to make the shopping list smaller for me in the days before the race! Lots of races on the continent operate similar policies. The cup must be carried at all times. A simple paper cup will do you, a hydration bladder will pass kit check also but will be less practical for getting a drink of Coke at a check point.

Basecamp sell a collapsible one. Will post a link later.

I hope that covers everything.
Jason WebbMay 24 2017, 1:52pmHi Jeff

Just to double check with yourself, will race numbers will be collected at Marley Park?
My understanding is just show up Friday the 9th at 22:30 with the Mandatory requirements and I'm good to go. Also is there a limit to the size of our drop bags, example 4litres of water?

Regards
Jason
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 24 2017, 10:03pmHi Jason, yes, collect number on the night. Probably from 10 as opposed to 10:30.
Jean MolloyMay 28 2017, 9:03pmHi Jeff,

Just to confirm that Padraig O'Meara and I will be volunteering at Raheenakit.

Thanks.

Jean
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 29 2017, 9:04amHi Jean,

that's great, very much appreciated. Will be in touch this week with plans for yourselves and all volunteers.

Jeff
Kastytis BereznocenkoMay 30 2017, 10:08amHi all,

would anyone have have a gpx file from the last years WWR please? I would like to study it in advance of a race please :)
The ones found on "interwebs" are contradicting each other..

Best regards,
Kás
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 30 2017, 11:23pmHi Kastytis, the link below is from a few years ago but should be pretty accurate.

Jeff

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7eKCxsOC4escmpUZ0x0TEdaNDRTVUpXc0VfOUd1T1NIeHBZ/view?usp=sharing
Graham ColmerMay 31 2017, 1:28pmAny update on the list of starters ?
Annemarie SheehanMay 31 2017, 4:14pmHi, is it possible for non entrants to run small sections with entrants or is that completely against the rules?
John J BarryMay 31 2017, 4:53pmIn previous years one could use a pacer from the "Dying Cow" (102km). But think that has been brought back to "Iron Bridge" now (75km)

Jeff will confirm that ....
Baterdene LkhamMay 31 2017, 11:20pmHi Jeff, After Glenmalure shall we follow the Tarmac road all the way up or follow current ( this year's ) diversion through forest and come out onto the road just before Drumgoff forest ( Forestry Vehicles) ? or are we following The Original Route? also just after Raheenakit Checkpoint seems to me there are 2 ways to follow WW in the first hundred meters or so one goes down and up while the other one is straight-ish trail with Yellow man sign. Don't want to end up cutting corners unintentionally :) Thanks in advance
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 1 2017, 12:11amGraham, was hoping to get the list up tonight but haven't got to it yet. It's coming, 62 entered, let's see how many are brave enough to start!

Baterdene, the short reply is follow the route as sign posted on the day. The long one is the race instruction pack that will be emailed to all competitors in the coming days will outline details of any known diversions on the route at the time of creation of the pack!
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 1 2017, 12:15amAnnemarie, in relation to your question on support runners please see details below. John was correct on the first point this is allowed but he was not yet privy to the new addition of the restriction on support runners being restricted to those participants towards the back of the race field.

If a participant wishes to have someone run a section of the course with them this is permitted from the Iron Bridge CheckPoint only and according to the time limits listed below. Support runners are not permitted before this point.

•Where the participant is exiting the Iron Bridge Checkpoint between 11:30 and the 12:00 cut off.

•Where the participant is exiting the Dying Cow Checkpoint between 15:30 and the 16:00 cut off.

•Where the participant is exiting the Raheenakit Checkpoint between 18:00 and the 18:30 cut off.

Support runners are only permitted where the participant leaves the checkpoint 30 minutes or less before the cut off time for that check point as outlined above.

The aim of this rule is to keep the front end of the race as fair as possible by ensuring those participants who do not have a support runner available to them are less likely to be competing against participants with a support runner. It also recognises that the runners closer to the cut off times and possibly struggling to make cut offs in order to finish within the strict 21 hour time limit can benefit from a support runner. Like all the rules of the race, please do not abuse this or the participant risks being disqualified from the race.

Where a participant is accompanied by a support runner the participant must carry their own compulsory kit at all times, support runners are not permitted to carry runners compulsory kit.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 1 2017, 12:26amThere will be a Wicklow Way Race information evening held in Base Camp on Middle Abbey Street in Dublin on the evening of Tuesday June 6th at 19:00. Don't worry I will not say much on the night.

The main attractions will be the array of gear and equipment on offer in store, Eoin Keith and his vast array of stories and knowledge about all things ultra and the promise that one lucky attendee will win a set of Leki running poles courtesy of Leki and Basecamp!

Entry is free and the intended audience is race participants (past, present & future) as well as those with an interest in ultra distance running and the challenges and joys it presents in equal measure.
Annemarie SheehanJun 1 2017, 10:15amMany thanks for that Jeff.
Johnston KirkpatrickJun 2 2017, 9:55pmHi just wondering when course maps will be emailed ?
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 3 2017, 3:08pmHi Johnston, race pack will go out over the weekend, just finalising it. There will not be a course map in it.

The course is the Wicklow Way as it is signposted on the day. The route is open to change as Coilte could be operating in an area and apply a diversion. Generally the route remains the same from year to year though with only minor changes.
Adolfo GarciaJun 3 2017, 6:59pmAnyone leaving their car in Clonegal and getting to the start line that can give me a ride? Or can we park at the start line? If yes, anyone that can give me a ride back to Dublin when we finish?
Thank you in advance!
Gerard TullyJun 4 2017, 9:27amHi we are asked to have a map with us but which map is the best use and where can this be found?
Clare KeeleyJun 4 2017, 6:08pmHi Gerard.

I use the East West mapping "The Wicklow Way Guide". You can buy it in Easons easy enough. Jeff would need to confirm this is ok but I used a Wicklow Way Guide before and it passed kit check.
Liam CostelloJun 4 2017, 9:57pmI used he WW Guide the last 3 years no problem. Has as much detail as any map.
Gerard TullyJun 4 2017, 10:15pmthanks Guys
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 4 2017, 11:17pmEverything Clrae and Liam have said is bang on.

I love it when you guys do the work for me. :)
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 5 2017, 12:55amRace instructions have been mailed out to all those registered. If you did not receive the mail please let me know via wicklowwayrace@gmail.com please.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 5 2017, 6:20pmRunners registered to start this Friday are listed below. Here's hoping they all make it to the start and then from there to Clonegal. The numbers are the numbers you will be wearing on the day of the race and not the normal IMRA numbers.

1: Sarah Brady
2: Sinead Keogh
3: Angela Flynn
4: Caroline Reid
5: Clare Keeley
6: Tina Reed
7: Adrian Hennessy
8: Alan Shealy
9: Anthony Cahill
10: Barry Breslin
11: Baterdene Lkham
12: Dave Evans
13: David Calero
14: Denis Hogan
15: Fergus Melligan
16: Gavin Scott Byrne
17: Graham Colmer
18: Jason Webb
19: Jp Tierney
20: Liam Cannon
21: Lonan O Farrell
22: Mark Horvath
23: Paul Croke
24: Paul Keville
25: Philip Bourke
26: Tim Chapman
27: Adolfo Garcia
28: Andreas Kusch
29: Anthony Lee
30: Barry Drennan
31: Christopher Dunne
32: Colin Casey
33: Damian Kelly
34: David Caulfield
35: David TURCANO
36: Dermot Maguire
37: Duncan Barrett
38: George Coffey
39: Gerard Tully
40: Graham K. Bushe
41: James Winters
42: John Cleaver
43: John Condon
44: John McCann
45: Johnston Kirkpatrick
46: Jon Finn
47: Jonathan Dolan
48: Kastytis Bereznocenko
49: Liam Costello
50: Malcolm Cuffe
51: Martin Mullan
52: Michael Mulcahy
53: Paolo Girolami
54: Paul Morrissey
55: Raymond Cummins
56: Raymond Russell
57: Rory Campbell
58: Tom Reynolds
59: John Boyle
60: John Colclough
61: David Lawless
Gerard TullyJun 6 2017, 10:59pmThe trackers can they be tracked by crew/ family?
Baterdene LkhamJun 7 2017, 3:07amGerard, Anyone can track from anywhere in the world as long as they have internet connection.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 7 2017, 11:12amTracking provide by Primal Tracking once more. Link below for all the dot watchers.

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace17
Raymond RussellJun 7 2017, 9:34pmFor anyone looking for a lift back from Clonegal to Dublin, I've just posted in the carpool. I'm not sure what time I'll be leaving but I'll be at the back of the pack, probably riding the cutoffs :-) If you're interested let me know, especially in the unlikely event that you end up behind me.
Sarah BradyJun 8 2017, 12:10pmHello! Just wondering can we send a drop bag to the finish line as well as the various checkpoints? (Too excited to function today, so much to do in work and all I can think about is drop bags. :P )
Graham K. BusheJun 8 2017, 12:23pmHi Sarah, yes

"Runners bags with change of clothes etc. will be transported to the finish from the start. Again, please try to keep these to a manageable size. No roll on suitcases that you take away for the family trip to the canaries."

;)
Sarah BradyJun 8 2017, 12:32pmOops, sorry, I obviously jumped the gun without fully reading the instructions! This is another symptom of being too excited. :P Thanks Graham, see you tomorrow night. :)
Graham ColmerJun 8 2017, 8:41pmWill drop bags with clothing etc be brought to the finish ? i.e if i bring an extra t-shirt to Glendalough, will my bag containing the old one be brought to Clonegal ? Thanks
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 8 2017, 8:45pmHi Graham, no guarantee we will get it to the finish but most years we have managed to re-unite possessions with their rightful owners.

That said, I do have a couple of bags in the shed from the last 4 years that contain stuff people still haven't claimed!
Annemarie SheehanJun 9 2017, 2:56pmHi can I just confirm the runners will be coming through the 'Lower lake car park' at Glendalough which is where the visitors centre is located? Thanks! and best of luck to everyone!
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 9 2017, 3:29pmHi Annemarie, yes, car park by visitor centre.

The tracker link may be showing the wrong location, I have asked for it to be updated so hopefully that happens in the next few hours!
Caroline ReidJun 11 2017, 12:17pmThanks to Jeff and his wonderful team for putting on another great Wicklow way race. Fair play to everyone on a great job! See you again next year ;)
Paul KevilleJun 11 2017, 1:09pmOnce again thanks for a brilliantly organised race. Jeff and Robbie great work. All the volunteers were really helpful and encouraging throughout the race.
John CleaverJun 11 2017, 1:26pmWould like to say a huge thank you to all the people who made the Wicklow way race possible it was my first one had a tough but fantastic day thanks Jeff Lillian and Robbie and every volunteer at all the CPs who gave time for us to run it
Adrian HennessyJun 11 2017, 9:36pmIt's only when you compete in the Wicklow Way Race that you get a full appreciation for the effort that goes into organizing an event that crosses 3 counties and goes on for a full day and night. Running it easy by comparison. Well done and thanks to Jeff and his small army of helpers.
John CondonJun 12 2017, 11:25amA massive thanks to Jeff and his army of volunteers on Saturday. All your help and support make this race a special one. Congratulations to Clare and Damian on their wins and everyone else who took part.
Colin CaseyJun 12 2017, 1:59pmA HUGE shout out to Jeff and his merry band of helpers on Saturday. Thanks so much for all your support and help throughout the day. A very memorable day along the Wicklow Way.

Thanks
Rory CampbellJun 12 2017, 7:58pmreport up
Paolo GirolamiJun 12 2017, 8:46pmI wanted to thank Jeff and all the volunteers for making this amazing race happen once again! I don't even know why I found myself at the start line again but - in hindsight - I couldn't be happier I did: the Wicklow Way Race never disappoints! Fair play to Jeff to once again for managing to direct such a race so well: have no idea how it does it, but there's no doubt he can! Thanks also to the to all the volunteers, offical and not - I see Michael was not listed but seeing him halfway to the Dying Cow was like stumbling into an Oasis while lost in the Sarah desert! Lillian for the ever-present encouraging words , Robbie for co-diirecting agan! John, Lorcan (for helping me with water bottles at DC), Brendan, Alan, Jean, Luke, Gareth, Patricia, Loren Farrell, Sean Mason, Michelle! Sorry if I missed I few names! I won't make any promises but the first year I won't run the race, I will definitely volunteer: hoping to help others get the sweet long-lasting memory the WWR never fails to deliver!
John McCannJun 13 2017, 2:12pmRace report added. Thanks again to Jeff and all the volunteers for an unforgettable experience.
Clare KeeleyJun 13 2017, 8:11pmThere is something really special about this race, it gives this wonderful trail such justice to go from start to finish in less than one day- JB Malone would be very proud! A huge thanks to Jeff and all the crew at every aid station (official and unofficial!) who ran a super smooth event and all the amazing runners who towed the wall at Marley!
Congratulations to Damian on your win!
John and Rory- I have read both your race reports already and they are great- just about to start my own-I will post it up when I am eventually finished!
Leah BensonJun 13 2017, 9:43pmHi, I am new to mountain running, I did the Maurice Mullins Ultra because my friend told me the mountains were on my doorstep and I'd be mad not to get up there when possible. But I am not new to a Clare Keeley. We have known each other since we were 7 atnd she has always had extraordinary determination. As a mum of small kids (3 under 5) I find it hard to juggle family, work, running etc... things can get on top of you, and it's so important to have people to inspire you to make sure you don't fall into a pace that's easy and doable. Clare is that woman. I cannot sufficiently express my admiration for this working mum of three. She is a remarkable woman, always has been, I hope it's ok but I just wanted to acknowledge that here.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 13 2017, 10:13pmI will be at Djouce tomorrow with a boot load of gear that was abandoned during the race at the weekend. Some of it is nice. And my size. So get there early.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 13 2017, 11:55pmApologies, I had hoped to get results sorted this eve but I have run out of time. Will get to them later in the week.

On another note, thanks for all the kind words in relation to the race. It really is an event that is made by all involved, particpants and volunteers.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 17 2017, 9:12pmAnother year of the Wicklow Way Race has passed and I am still trying to catch up on sleep. The runners seem to be ahead of the curve on this with some of them being out at Djouce on Wednesday looking a lot more fresh than yours truly. 2017 saw 63 runners enter, 54 start and 36 finish inside the 21 hour maximum time.

As ever there is a long list of people to thank for making the race possible.

Without the access to Marlay Park for the race start we would have no race. So once again thanks to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council & Marlay Park staff for facilitating this.

The Dying Cow pub allowed us the use of their courtyard when the sun was shining and the rain of the previous evening was nothing but a memory.

The Old Wishing Well in Clonegal once again supplied us with unending supplies of chips, burgers and all types of chipper goodness throughout the afternoon.

BaseCamp & Leki very generously sponsored the race this year. Supplying Buffs for all participants and volunteers and prizes of Leki poles for the first man and woman home. Basecamp also supplied the venue for our first race evening and supplied another set of poles to a lucky raffle winner on the night. To top this off Basecamp also provided us shelter on the night of registration to ensure the participants were kept dry whilst going through kit check.

Eoin Keith kindly gave of his time and experience on the race night in Basecamp. Several times during the day of the race I heard participants refer to Eoin and some of the advice he gave in Basecamp. When Eoin talks, people listen!

Richie Healy once again produced the trophies and finishers medals. One of the key goals I have for the race is that all the partcipants feel they are as valued as the winner and having every finisher get a piece of quality crafted granite from Richie goes a long way towards achieving this.

The people of Clonegal were as ever welcoming and interested in our little event.

Primal Tracking for once again supplying the GPS tracking of the participants during the race. Easy to work with, professional and understanding the ethos of the race and fitting into that seamlessly. I wouldn't consider RDing the race without their involvement.

The Volunteers: There is no race without them. I'll go into detail in a race report. They were all immense.

Patricia McLoughlin & Richard Nunan at registration.
Brendan Neville & Angus Tyner at Crone Woods.
Gareth LIttle & Luke Rafferty at Glendalough.
Lorcan Farrell & Syl Ivers at Iron Bridge.
Loren Harnet & Lillian Deegan at Dying Cow.
Jean Molloy & Padraig O'Meara at Raheenakit.
Michelle Burke & Sean Mason at the finish in Clonegal.

The runners give as much to each other as they get from the volunteers. Be it the supporters of one runner helping other runners or seeing runners who have come into difficulty during the race being cared for and helped by other runners, at the expense of their own race, this race is all about the people. And the runners this year were a very good bunch of people.

IMRA, for supplying the structure under which the Wicklow Way Race exists. The race exists at the price point it does and with the reputation it has earned because the race is run in the spirit of all IMRA events.

My wife Aoibheann, for putting up with me spending the week before the race saying "I am never doing this again.", the weekend of the race absent, and the week since the race catching up on sleep, work, race admin etc.

With the thank yous done I think it's worth looking at some numbers. In 5 years of the race to date we have had 180 starters, 51 DNFs and 129 finishes. Of the 180 starters there are 133 people, so you can see that some people like the race a lot, and keep coming back!

The real number of interest to me though is the fact we have had 92 different people run the Wicklow Way in under 21 hours. That's some achivement when you think that before the race existed there were maybe 10 or 15 people who I know of had done this.

It's great that we have an event that has not only seen the record for the Wicklow Way broken but also opened the flood gates to the Irish ultra running community and made the Wicklow Way something for the many and not the few. I'm very proud to have played a small part in this and hope the event can continue on in this spirit for many years to come.
Colin CaseyJun 18 2017, 1:13pmRace report added. Thanks again to all involved for a great day out.
Clare KeeleyJun 19 2017, 12:24amRace report up. Leah...Im scarlet!!!!but thank you!xx
Clare KeeleyJun 19 2017, 12:24amRace report up. Leah...Im scarlet!!!!but thank you!xx
Brendan NevilleJun 19 2017, 10:34pmBrillant reports by all - great experience shared for future runners. Colin you are my naughty list for Christmas - I actually thought all the runners were raving nuts heading up Djouce on a night like that because I was going home to bed!
Denis HoganJun 20 2017, 12:59amRace Report up. You may want to put the kettle on, a few times ! Thank you to all involved in making the race what it is.
Sarah BradyJun 20 2017, 2:04pmPopped up my report there. :) I had it on Facebook and my English teacher from school commented that it was 'well written' - feel like I got an A. :P
Graham ColmerJun 20 2017, 3:10pmGreat reports everyone. Denis, you ran away from me like a bank robber on that last stretch ! Well done on the strong finish :-)
Baterdene LkhamJun 22 2017, 9:12pmGreat reports everyone. As much as i like to write a report my writing skills are not that good. So I will just leave a short message here. First of all Thanks to Jeff, Robbie, Sponsors and Volunteers !!! for someone like me who has no crew the support and encouragement during this journey was beyond my expectations just like last year. I also want to thank 2 lads Anthony and John for helping me all day long. Even though I sensed Damian and Rory wanted to have chat on a few occasions I didn't talk much as i was focused on the ground underneath me. Apologise for being not talkative maybe if we were on less technical terrain i could have talked more :) For those people reading this and doubting themselves I say give it a go you have nothing to lose. There is soft grassy section at the end of the Trail to lay down and a Chipper that has food and drinks oh and a handmade Trophy if that's your thing to collect :) Thanks again.