Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mt Brandon

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Barry MurrayAug 1 2018, 1:06pmSeptember 2nd

Volunteers needed, don't be shy:

2 x registration/results people

2 x car parking marshals (pre race, can run)

1 x first aider
Conor MurphyAug 23 2018, 11:24amHope you get sufficient numbers to volunteer and enable it go ahead, and of course turning up on the day itself.

As you know Barry, I'll be on Ben Nevis that weekend. But of all the races that excited me when I saw the calendar, this jumped out. It's just so great to see an iconic mountain and a great challenge make a comeback, years after it last featured. It's also an opportunity to open up West Kerry, one of our great mountainous regions.

Best of luck with it, hope to see it plugged again and again on the IMRA and MMRA social media pages in the coming days.
Barry MurrayAug 24 2018, 4:08pmThanks for the mention Conor.

I now have 1st Aid and Carparking marshals covered.

Still need Results person. Think I have Registration sorted.

Registration will be at An Bothar Pub from 11.30-12.30.

Race Start is The pilgrim carpark, 1 mile away, suggest jogging up as a warm up but car pooling with be allowed too.

John Lenihan will be summit marshal.

Big spread after from 3pm at An Bothar pub. Prize giving with John Lenihan too.

Some old legends signed up to mix it with the young guns. Contingent from the East booked in too. Maybe some Northerners if they can find it.
Mícheál O'MullainAug 24 2018, 5:10pmFair play Barry.....Brian is off to Italy for the UTMR so I hope to head back West confident in the knowledge that that will be one less in front of me at the end!
Barry MurrayAug 27 2018, 10:54amSee you there Micheal.

I'll be putting out a final notice this week with all the important race details.

Most important is, you go up and then come down ;)... Vivian will like the race briefing
Barry MurrayAug 30 2018, 11:43amMt Brandon final details:

At An Bothar pub. Follow signs for Brandon Creek from Dingle. Pass sign for Mt Brandon, An Bothar pub is approx 1km down the road on your left.

Race Start: 1pm

Please car pool from the pub, minimum 3 to a car. There is limited car parking at the start. The start is the main pilgrim route car park, Baile Breac, approx 2km from the registration.

Race Route:

Trail marked with white posts and crosses. Follow trail at all times to summit, turnaround point will be John Lenihan who will be standing beside the big summit cross.

Finish:

at the carpark. Finish area will be marked with cones.

Afters and Prizegiving:

An Bothar pub. Food, tea, coffee, Hosted by MMRA.

Prizes for race and also Munster Championship medals presented by John Lenihan.

Mandatory Kit:

a waterproof hooded jacket.

With race route marked and distance approx 7km, no compass or maps required.

Weather Forecast: Its West Kerry ;)

For more directions and info, see the race details page.
Robbie WilliamsSep 1 2018, 3:40pmAnyone passing through Cork going to Brandon?
Looking to get prizes dropped
Mícheál O'MullainSep 2 2018, 6:50pmMassive event Barry...great addition to calendar and hope it remains in years to come.....as you were otherwise engaged brief report just up.
Barry MurraySep 2 2018, 10:07pmReturn of the Mt Brandon

Just a quick message here to say a big thanks to all the volunteers who helped put the Mt Brandon race back on the map.
From Rob and Tricia who traveled up the night before with all the kit and helped out on the day, to the lads Mikey and Peter for expert traffic control, John Bell and Michael McSweeney on registration, to David, Mary and Yvonne who looked after the timing and results, Anna on 1st aid, and of course to the living legend John Lenihan who marshaled at the summit. Just nice to have help from good people.

Fair play to Michael and Rob for the reports already up... thanks. A few more to come I think !

Results to be posted up soon.
Brian FlannellySep 3 2018, 1:33pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian.flannelly at imra dot ie
Barry MurraySep 4 2018, 1:11pmmy first RD race report....

The Jeidi Returns !!