Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galty Crossing

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Patricia RyanMay 8 2019, 1:40pmOnline registration is open for the Galty Crossing and will close on Sunday 9th June unless capacity is reached before this date. There will be no registration available after this date. This event is for experienced open mountain runners who are competent navigators.
Lianne van DijkMay 16 2019, 8:30amDoes anyone have a gpx of the route, in case I would like to do some recceing?

Also, which map would be best for this particular race (and/ or would a digital version be sufficient/ pass kit check)?
Robbie WilliamsMay 16 2019, 7:36pmHi Liane

OSI 74 fairly good

No , no digital map is accepted , has to be traditional map & compass for kit
Lianne van DijkMay 16 2019, 8:49pmRobbie, thanks for your help! Good to know.
Robert CunninghamMay 20 2019, 12:18pmCheck out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/CgTa7YWhQW
From last years Galty Crossing.
Alice ClancyMay 21 2019, 1:53pmHello there, can I just clarify in relation to digital maps use in Galty Crossing - the event details say that GPS use is allowed for this race...does this mean that if participants have paper map and compass, they also allowed to track themselves on view ranger or similar as back up? thanks
Robert CunninghamMay 21 2019, 2:39pmHi Alice. You must carry a map and compass as part of the kit requirements.
You can use any form of gps or mapping in addition to the map and compass.
David FerryMay 25 2019, 11:38pmIs the need for map and compass more a safety issue, or is it actually necessary to complete the course? I've run the Galtees many times over the years but have never traversed the entire range, or competed in any of the Galtee IMRA events.
Robbie WilliamsMay 27 2019, 5:30amMap & compass part of mandatory kit
Tom BlackburnMay 27 2019, 9:50amThe crossing of the Galtys looks simple on a clear day from Angelsborough to Galtymore is pretty straight forward, from there on the hills start to get smaller and nondescript. This may also be manageable on a clear day if you have done a reci or have a good knowledge of the mountain.
But if it is a foggy or bad day you should know it is very easy to go off route and there are cliffs and Turf hags which can be very dangerous. you have to have a map and compass and you should know your bearings from certain points.
Patricia RyanMay 28 2019, 4:35pmThe maps & compass are part of the mandatory kit just as a rain proof jacket and water is. As Tom said the first part of the crossing may seem to be straight forward on a clear day but after that things really open out and the rolling hills all look the same. We are well overdue bad weather for this one so be prepared.
mark pinfieldMay 29 2019, 10:31amAny planned recce coming up for this race?
Robert CunninghamMay 31 2019, 2:06pmMark,
I'm planning on going out Saturday 7th June at Around 9am. To do the full course.
mark pinfieldJun 2 2019, 11:51amIll be doing dingle adventure race rob. Ill keep an eye on the forum and tag along another day
mark pinfieldJun 2 2019, 11:53amNewbie question: where is best to get maps and compass? And what scale do people normally use?
Michael McSweeneyJun 2 2019, 3:52pmMark,
You can get OSI 74 map from any good outdoor shop, the likes of Sullivan's in Killarney or Union Chandlery in Cork. They will sort you out with a compass as well. Tell them it's for hill running, as they may have one that's compact and easy to use. The map tab on the Galtee Crossing event page has the section of the OSI 74 map you will need for the race with the route marked. Scale on the OSI map is 1:50000.
Micheal.
Michael McSweeneyJun 2 2019, 3:55pmRob,
See you Saturday morning. Bright and early.
Micheal.
mark pinfieldJun 2 2019, 11:01pmThanks michael
Robert CunninghamJun 3 2019, 5:19pmSee you then Michèal.
Kevin LenihanJun 3 2019, 10:42pmWon't make the Saturday recce lads but I'll head out next sunday 9th if anyone is interested?
Tom BlackburnJun 4 2019, 12:45pmI will be going out from Angelsborough on Sunday Morning at 9am and do the first section to Galty beg. So we need to leave a car in Glencush to get us back to Angelsborough.

If you plan on coming bring a Map and Compass, also waterproof Jacket and proper trail shoes. It can be very slippery and we don't want people falling and getting hurt.
Tom BlackburnJun 4 2019, 12:46pmI will be going out from Angelsborough on Sunday Morning at 9am and do the first section to Galty beg. So we need to leave a car in Glencush to get us back to Angelsborough.

If you plan on coming bring a Map and Compass, also waterproof Jacket and proper trail shoes. It can be very slippery and we don't want people falling and getting hurt.
Patricia RyanJun 5 2019, 8:59pmRegistration closes this Sunday 9th June. No entries accepted after this date.
Alice ClancyJun 6 2019, 7:52amHello all, there’s a group of us planning to recce the whole route on Sunday 9th at a slow jog/brisk hiking pace. Meeting in Anglesborough at 9. Anyone who’d like to join us is very welcome. We’ll be taking it slow in order to fully recce the route. Bring map,compass, good trail shoes, rainwear, layers,food, water.
Finbarr DesmondJun 6 2019, 1:01pmHi, I'm keen to go along on Sunday. I'm not familiar with Anglesborough. Is there an obvious meeting point? Do we need to drive a shuttle first? Thanks.
Rachel CinnsealachJun 6 2019, 1:25pmHey Finbarr, be great to have you along. There are five of us staying in Cashel, We will leave a car in Cahir, And we will also need to get to Angelsbouragh that morning, So we can give you a lift back to Angelsbouragh when we are finished, be warned this could take us 7 - 8 hours, We will be stopping to check the map (a lot)!! Be great to see you.. Been ages!
John LynchJun 7 2019, 5:36pmHi Tom, I'd be interested in going for a run on Sunday Morning at 9am to do the first section of the Galty crossing to Galty Beg. I'll be in Angelsborough at 9..
Denis carriganJun 7 2019, 7:35pmI'd like to tag along also. Denis
Colin BellJun 7 2019, 10:39pmHi, I'd love to join up with either the Angelsborough-Galty Beg or full route recce crew depending on timings/room in cars/etc. Will be driving from Kildare, so can pick people up in Cahir if needed. Colin
Colin BellJun 7 2019, 10:40pmHi, I'd love to join up with either the Angelsborough-Galty Beg or full route recce crew depending on timings/room in cars/etc. Will be driving from Kildare, so can pick people up in Cahir if needed. Colin
Colin BellJun 7 2019, 10:40pmHi, I'd love to join up with either the Angelsborough-Galty Beg or full route recce crew depending on timings/room in cars/etc. Will be driving from Kildare, so can pick people up in Cahir if needed. Colin
Colin BellJun 7 2019, 10:42pmSorry for multiple posts, browser hung...
Linda RowdenJun 8 2019, 11:35pmHi Colin
We will be in Cahir Castle carpark at 8:15am tomorrow and can give you a lift to Anglesborough if you want to recce the full route.
Betty WalshJun 10 2019, 2:29pmHi, Is this the Galtee Crossing event sold out? If so is there a waiting list...?
Patricia RyanJun 10 2019, 10:09pmBetty,registration closed Sunday 9th I'm afraid. No waiting list or late entries. Tricia
Donal CashmanJun 22 2019, 1:23pmHow are you for (non-running) volunteers for tomorrow?
At the last minute something I was doing has been cancelled and I have ended up with a free day.
I am available if needed. Just let me know when, where etc.

Regards, Donal
Patricia RyanJun 22 2019, 2:47pmHi Donal, We have loads of volunteers for tomorrow. You're more than welcome to come over if you want. I know you take great pictures too.
Sam ScrivenJun 22 2019, 7:51pmHi Tricia.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it tomorrow, so I’m a no-show from the start list
Best of luck to everyone!
mark pinfieldJun 23 2019, 5:44pmHi tricia.In case i didnt say thanks at the finish, thanks, to you and your team today. That was so tough. Hope everyone has turned up. Cheers. Mark
Brendan CollinsJun 23 2019, 6:28pmThank you Patricia & Co for organizing a great race and looking after us so well, not easy in bad conditions, well done.
John BellJun 23 2019, 7:58pmThank you to Patricia and her team of volunteers for putting on today's race. It was such a well organised event. The shower and food at the finish were bliss. The marshal on Galty Beg deserves special mention for being there in those conditions and even looking like he was enjoying himself.
I can't remember a tougher day in the hills but I'll be back again... so long as the sun is shining.

Massive kudos to the winners, racing like the weather was reasonable.
Paula MontwillJun 23 2019, 8:43pmThank you to all, a fantastic, albeit extremely challenging day out on the mountains. If by any chance anybody found a mobile phone you might let me know as I lost mine. It was at the very early stages coming off Temple Hill. It's tucked away in a waterproof plastic bag suitable for underwater, so if it turns up anywhere I'd appreciate if ye could let me know. Thanks a mil.
Robbie WilliamsJun 23 2019, 8:58pmThanks a million for great event Tricha.
The meal was all most were thinking of in the last hour
Gordon PlaceJun 24 2019, 9:27amLooks like a very tough day! Have to say, the best Strava flyby I've seen yet. Well done to everyone that made it.

Best click nearly all runners. Some looped themselves!
Gordon PlaceJun 24 2019, 9:28amhttps://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2474740933?c=gc63cpff&z=E&t=1T3tXo&a=xYyBky4Sg5OMIXmTKaJ1k-2XiZPRrn6TZ6aJkxV2h5PepIaTxBmDk4EAgpM98oCTbTJ_k0Gee5M
Stuart ScottJun 24 2019, 12:30pmThanks a million to Trisha and all the marshals and helpers for a thoroughly enjoyable day out yesterday. The amount of effort you put in was amazing and I certainly didn't envy ye having to stand out in the rain while we were off enjoying ourselves. Conditions were the most interesting I've seen in a while but nothing wakes you up more than running in a washing machine spin cycle for a few hours! That and the near white-out conditions throughout made it a true test of mountain running. Great to see (laminated) map and compass triumph over this new-fangled fancy phone technology too :-)
Brian FlannellyJun 25 2019, 8:13amResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
John BellJun 25 2019, 10:34pmReport added of my slog through the fog.
Patricia RyanJun 26 2019, 11:42amI would like to congratulate all those who successfully and not so successfully, completed the Galty Crossing last Sunday. My heart was in my mouth all day hoping that you all heeded the warnings and were actually able to navigate with a map & compass as technology didn't agree with the wet conditions. Thankfully everyone got back safe & sound if a little damp & shell shocked. A few runners made the wise decision to pull out on Temple Hill as they knew the conditions were beyond their limits on the day, so well done to them. I hope you all come back next year because on a clear day this is one of the best challenges on the IMRA calendar.Huge thanks to all the volunteers out on the mountain, hills, roads and at the finish line, without whom the race wouldn't happen.
Emily GlenJun 26 2019, 2:13pmOur race report is now up if anyone fancies a giggle.

Thanks again to Tricia & the crack team of organisers & volunteers. See you again next year xoxo
Gordon PlaceJun 30 2019, 9:42amHi Paula
Louise Lynch, possibly of Galtee Walking Club might have your phone. See post on their FB page and on IMRA FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/11388560359/permalink/10162098209950360/