Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gerry MoranJan 5 2009, 12:44pmHello,
I was thinking of running the howth event on Sunday week. I have never run a hill run before and wonder will I be able for it. Last summer I ran two half marathons, a few shorter races and finished two small triathlons.

I am just getting back into running over the holidays and am back up to running for an hour.
Will I be able for Howth Event?

Is hill running a constant run or a mixture of run/walk. I imagine you would need a short walk on the way up at times.

Any advice greatly accepted, have looked at imra website a few times over the year and wondered what a race would be like so I intend to get to Howth.

I'll only have my asics 2130's to run in, will they be ok for first timer?

Best wishes for new year
Gerry Moran
Jim FitzharrisJan 5 2009, 12:56pmGerry,

You will not find Howth a problem fitness-wise given what you did in 2008.

Howth is mainly running although the ascent up the first peak (done twice) is a fast walk/slog for most normal people.

Choice of footwear for hill runs is a mixture of science and, more usually, strongly-held opinions! Ordinary trainers will be OK as much of the route is on tracks. However, be careful on the descent as it is quite steep, mucky and sinuous. Do not use your best trainers as they will be covered in mud. Also, I would not recommend buying special footwear at this stage - just turn up, see what people are wearing and ask around for views. All IMRA runners will be only too happy to offer information and advice based on their personal experience.

One of IMRA's stalwarts, Rene Borg, is something of an expert on footwear and could also offer advice but best see the selection on the day.

Cheers,

Jim.