Irish Mountain
Running Association

Kilmac Running Festival - 5 Tops & 1 Drop

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Graham K. BusheNov 22 2021, 3:24pmDear All, Thank you to those of you who have contacted me in relation to entering this event. I have replied to all emails I have seen so far. Unfortunately Hotmail did decide to direct some emails to the Spam/trash folder, so I am checking these regularly too.
Please note that this is a winter open mountain race that requires experience in navigation over difficult terrain and in possible poor conditions. Competitors must have completed other unmarked open mountain races to be eligible to enter. Though you will not be requiring them, there will be markings on the trail race route as far as Djouce. But once you turn off Djouce heading for War Hill, you are expected to rely on your navigation skills to get you back around to the road crossing at Djouce Woods (Calary) carpark.
If you intend to apply please do so giving me time to repond
Please note, that while this is a mostly free route choice race, due to a number of factors the following will have to be applied. Coming off Big Sugarloaf must be through the carpark Arch onto the Red Lane. Follow the Red Lane Westward towards the junction with the Kilmacanogue to Roundwood Road R755. There is a short piece of trail on the left to take you away from the actual junction.
The Road crossing will have a Member of An Garda Síochána and a marshal. Please obey their instructions and give way to traffic.
There is probably not much to be gained from deviating off the marked trail across Ballyremon commons to the next road crossing. This is the Old Long Hill road also with Garda and marshal assistance.
Once you have crossed the road safely, you have free route choice to the summit of Djouce (There will be a marked route for the other race)
Then it is, War Hill, Tonduff South, Maulin and the drop know as the Ayling Abyss. I have intentionally set the route this way so you descend the abyss and don’t punch your card on the way up :) From the bottom of the abyss climb back to the carpark and follow the marked route to the finish.
Please remember that the marshals have your safety in mind and some will be there for many hours to allow you to enjoy your day, so if they ask you to wait a short while please do so.
By this stage many of you will be returning along with runners doing the 26km route. For this reason and for ease at the finish line I ask that all runners follow the marked route to the finish line.
Graham
Graham K. BusheNov 25 2021, 12:31amREMEMBER! Entries closes today. Don't miss out.
On race day you will need your race number, timing chip and mandatory kit. See event page!
If this is your first race of 2021, you can collect your number and chip (please bring your membership confirmation email)
The registration desk will open at 7:15 and close at 7:45
Parking is at Kilmacanogue GAA pitch. Arrive in good time to park etc.
The race route uses public roads, with two crossings assisted by An Garda Síochána. Please yield to traffic and Follow directions of marshals. They are spending long hours out and about so you can all enjoy your run. So if they ask you to wait for a few moments, please do so. Be prepared for the weather, it's November in the Wicklow hills. There will be a water station at Djouce woods, bring your own bottle or cup.
Leave no trace.
Enjoy

Geaham
Phil behanNov 26 2021, 3:35pmHi Graham, I've sent you an email in regards to this race. Might go to your junk folder. Could you let me know if you get it ? Thanks a million.
Phil behanNov 27 2021, 3:00pmThanks a million to everyone today for all the effort and hard work to give us a great day on the hills. This was a fantastic race ! Thanks again to Graham and Lillian for helping me out with a late request this morning. It was very much appreciated.
Declan McInerneyNov 27 2021, 3:38pmThank you very much to Graham and Lillian and all the IMRA volunteers for a fantatsic day out in the hills - couldn't have been better! Sorry for the delay. I managed to finish eventually after exploring a wide range of alternative route options/poor decision making. Thanks again! Take care.
Lillian DeeganNov 27 2021, 3:50pmFair dues Declan. Glad to see you rock back in. We’ll get a finisher prize sorted for you. It slipped my mind at the finish line, sorry.
Gerry McGuinnessNov 27 2021, 4:06pmAngela , Graham,
Thanks for organising a great festival of mountain running.
Had a great day in the mountains with great encouragement for all the Marshals who stood out in the cold so we could run.
Thanks again all.
Regards Gerry
Joseph BoyleNov 27 2021, 7:35pmThanks very much to Angela for the concept and to Graham for the 5 Drops and 1 Drop. Also a special thanks to Phil, Andreas and Paul who kept me going to finish my 100th IMRA race. Also a thank you to Lillian and the committee for the presentation of a mug for Race Director of the year, which I feel very humbled to receive considering what others have done this year. In relation to this I have to mention Dan Geelon who was my Deputy RD and took a lot of the pressure off me. Finally a big shout out to all the volunteers and especially the marshals who were out there well over 5 hours.
Adrian HennessyNov 27 2021, 9:33pmHuge thanks to Graham, Lilian, Angela and all the volunteers today. Marshalling was a tougher test of endurance today than running. A great event with fantastic routes. A fitting way to mark the 40th anniversary.
John MurrayNov 27 2021, 11:28pmWhat a day full of a multitude of races to suit everyone!

Days like that don't come together overnight, so a massive well done to Graham, Angela, Lillian and everyone else involved in the months of organising. A huge thanks also to the many volunteers required to make the day run as seamlessly as it did. The marshal standing on the top of Djouce needs an award for being up there for hours with a smile on his face.

The 5 Tops and 1 drop was a fabulous race, and the free route choice always adds an extra bit of fun. Pity the skies were so clear meaning navigation wasn't even an issue...but hopefully it's not the last time this race gets a running! :)

Well done again to all for a fantastic Kilmac Festival of Trail Running.
Conor O'FarrellNov 28 2021, 8:09pmHi All

Well done to everyone who took on the the elements (and the challenging route) yesterday.

Results are now up. Please email results@imra.ie for any queries.

Regards
Conor