Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Thomas DomicanFeb 28 2022, 2:02pmJust wondering what direction wwsolo is this year and if it starts at9pm thanks
Lillian DeeganMar 1 2022, 11:25pmHiya Tom, good to see your interest once again.

Marlay Park will be the start point this year. And yes, gun time is 21h. I’ll get more details up in the coming weeks.
Thomas DomicanMar 2 2022, 10:54amThanks Lillian
Samuel FoxMar 24 2022, 12:09pmHi Lillian. Are you able to give a steer on the entry requirement for this yet please, trying to see if this is my year for an attempt and if I need to line up another long race beforehand? Thanks!
Lillian DeeganApr 14 2022, 1:02pmReposting the of WW Race info. from late March following the recent website downtime. Event details have also been added again.

Hello Samuel,
I've added info. to the race page for this one. And yes, I'll be seeking a link showing a finish of at least 50k from everyone who is hoping to enter this years race.

And for anyone else hoping to race this year - I won't be organising bus transfers from the finish line.

Gun time has been moved back this year - the race will start in Marlay Park at 21h. I'll get the CP cutoffs added in the next short while.

Entry will open on Monday, May 9th @9am and close on Monday, May 30th @6pm. (Detail for this will be added to the race page as soon as one of our IT lads have a free minute).

Anybody thinking of entering, please read the race page detail and send the required email in advance of entries opening. No email with a link to your history will result in no race entry.

Any other queries, fire ahead and ask.

Lillian
Eric Llaurado OrtizApr 20 2022, 9:30amHi there,

Since there are no bus transfer from the finish line to the start line, is there any other transport that can be used or does each runner need someone with a car at the finish line to get back?

Thanks.
Clare KeeleyApr 20 2022, 2:56pmHi Eric,
Best options are to either have a friend or someone at the finish line to get you home after the race or earlier in the day get your car down to Clonegal and drive home yourself after (have done it a few times and it’s not pretty or safe for that matter!!)
Closer to the time you could put a call out on the forum to others who might be interested in leaving their cars in Clonegal pre race and booking a minibus to get you all to Marley for the start of the race.
Other option is taxi to near by town and bus it back to Dublin…
Clare
Eric Llaurado OrtizApr 20 2022, 3:13pmHi Clare,
Many thanks for your answer and the possible options.
Even tho i'd love to run the wicklow way i need to think about it now.
Cheers! :)
Lillian DeeganApr 21 2022, 9:41pmRace route cut offs have been updated for this one.

Reminder msg ahead of the May 9th shop opening: If you are intending to enter, please read the event page details carefully first. Send on your qualifying race criteria for entry approval and wait for the green light to secure a place by reply email.

Thanks everyone, Lillian
Phil behanApr 21 2022, 10:49pmHi all, one date also for your diaries. On the evening of Tuesday May 10th myself and Lillian will hold an online Zoom call mainly for new entrants to this race answering any questions that as a first timer you might have about the race. Can I ask all those interested in attending to please email wicklowwayrace@gmail.com and we will send you out the Zoom details over the next few days.

Thanks
Phil
Lillian DeeganApr 23 2022, 10:29amDrop Bag detail has been updated on the event page for this race. Drop bags should be sealed really well, kept small in size and clearly labelled with - Your bib No. and the Checkpoint No. for drop bag delivery.

"Drop bags will be transported to aid stations. See below for drop bag particulars:

-CP - KMs approx ----- Name ----- Cut Off Time

CP1 - 21 --- Crone Woods --- 00:00 --- FOOD drop bag only.

CP2 - 49 --- Glendalough - visitor center --- 05:00 --- FOOD drop bag only.

CP3 - 73--- Mucklagh --- 09:00 --- Food & shoe/clothes drop bag option.

CP4 - 102 --- Dying Cow --- 13:00 --- Food & shoe/clothes drop bag option.

CP5 - 111 --- Raheenakit --- 15:30 --- Food & shoe/clothes drop bag option.

CP6 - 127 --- Clonegal --- 18:00 - Food & dry bag."
Phil behanApr 24 2022, 5:33pmThanks to all who signed up for the zoom call so far. Just reminding folks that’s it’s open to all planning on racing so get in touch on the details above if you’re interested in attending. Thanks again. Phil
Gerry FarrellMay 1 2022, 8:17pmHi Folks, good evening. Is this a self supported bag drop race only or can you have a crew at the CPs? If I missed something in the details please forgive me :-)
Thank you - gerry farrell
Lillian DeeganMay 2 2022, 5:49pmHey Gerry,
This one gives the option to run solo by having a drop bag at aid stations or to have a support crew at CPs.

Lillian
Barry GriffinMay 4 2022, 4:17pmIv sent the races iv competed in for prior approval to Wicklowwayrace@gmail.com , is this the correct address to send it to ?
Lillian DeeganMay 4 2022, 6:04pmHi Barry, you have managed to source the correct email address. Your comms of last night have been received.

From your email - there was no supplied link showing an event finish to meet the entry approval criteria. Do you want to resend something to the gmail for review? I am making replies to others ATM. Happy to consider other info. from you if you wish.

Thanks - Lillian
Lillian DeeganMay 4 2022, 6:08pmRe: Zoom session:

For those who have been in touch asking to join the zoom evening on May 10th - My DRD Phil is preparing info. for circulation ATM. A link will be shared on Friday afternoon with those who have asked to join us for the session.
Barry GriffinMay 4 2022, 8:55pmIv sent the links and attached pics of the link .
Gerard KeoghMay 9 2022, 8:11pmHi Lillian
Is there a link for the zoom
John Murphy74May 9 2022, 9:34pmHi, I just wanted to chat which maps I would need for the wicklow way?
Lillian DeeganMay 9 2022, 11:34pmHi John, OS Sheets 50,56 & 62 cover the route.

Gerard, hi
Details have been going out from the gmail address to those who were in touch on there asking to be included.
Phil behanMay 10 2022, 9:26pmHi all

Thanks for attending the zoom call earlier. Was great to see so many new faces and brilliant to see such interest in the race. Can I encourage you all to start, if you have not already started, to start arranging a few night recces amongst yourselves here. Daytime recces also in particular on the second and later stages. Only 1 month out so still a bit of time to go. Best of luck all. Phil
Ted BurkeMay 11 2022, 12:08amUnfortunately, I was unable to attend this evening's Zoom session. Was it recorded by any chance?
Lillian DeeganMay 11 2022, 6:54amMorning Ted, nope. Consciously, the session was not recorded.
Eoin Mac EochaidhMay 11 2022, 5:19pmThanks Lillian and Phil for an informative zoom. A bounty of advice. Much appreciated.
James HeggieMay 13 2022, 10:55amHi I am starting to do my Recces of the course and to ensure I meeting check points times if anyone Is interested in meeting up we can do whole legs in one go with car drops . Email address is jamesie1970@hotmail.co.uk thanks James or here .
Stephen ConnonMay 13 2022, 12:31pmJust a quick question: would large high-vis reflective armbands (one on each arm) suffice as the 'high vis garment'? Apologies if this has been covered, I wasnt able to make the zoom call

Thanks
Stephen
Ben ReynoldsMay 13 2022, 5:56pmHey all, Also in relation to the hi viz tops, would it be possible to share a link to something similar to what we're expected to have. I'm still a little unsure if it should be a hi viz vest or a running top that is hi viz.

Thanks!
Dara O'BrienMay 13 2022, 9:05pmHi Ben,

I don't have a link but I'm going to be wearing a hi vis vest - one with reflective detail. My understanding is that it's not the bright colour that's needed but rather the reflective detail so cars can see you on the road at night. Mine is from the RSA but they're easily got elsewhere. As they are light, they're easier to fold away and store when the sun comes up. I'll bring some spare ones with me on the day in case anyone is stuck but do bear in mind that they'll have to fit on over your running pack so if you buy one, make sure to size up!
Ben ReynoldsMay 16 2022, 10:25amMakes sense, Thanks for that Dara!
Phil behanMay 16 2022, 11:16amHi all

To clarify

Full high vis is needed, be it a vest, jacket, or any full reflective garment that covers the top half of the body. There are a number of road crossings along the route at night and we do not have Gardai or Marshalls stopping traffic at the roads. It is imperative that all runners are fully visible at night and throughout the race. As Dara kindly pointed out an RSA vest is light weight, easy to fold away and wont causes you much un-comfort racing. I wore one myself for last years race and had no issues with it at all. Just using reflective arm bands is not sufficient for this race and wont be accepted as high vis cover on race day. Thanks all.
John Garry MooreMay 16 2022, 11:21amGood morning and happy Monday, just a quick question, do you allow use of GPX file to be downloaded and used for this race (WWR)?

Thanks in advance
Samuel FoxMay 16 2022, 12:34pmHi John - from the event details section it shows GPS is allowed yes. But as others will say, care is needed as the route will be defined by the diversions that may be in place on the day of running, depending if there is any ongoing work by Coillte. So you may not be able to get a completely accurate GPS uploaded.
Ted BurkeMay 16 2022, 1:33pmOk, thanks Lillian.
Damian ConwayMay 16 2022, 4:04pmHi, is map and compass required if I plan on using GPS for the race?
Phil behanMay 16 2022, 5:01pmHi Damien, yes both are required as they're part of the Mandatory Kit list for the race. All details about mandatory kit are in the roadbook and on the event page also. Thanks. Phil
Ger OTooleMay 17 2022, 9:05amHi, anybody interested in carpooling for recce of the Southern end of the route at the weekend (morning). Thinking of something like Moyne to Clonegal. You can email me on gervotoole@gmail.com. Thanks
John Garry MooreMay 18 2022, 5:24pmHi,

Is it required to have the IMRA race chip attached to your running shoes for this race?

Thanks in advance
Stephen ConnonMay 18 2022, 6:49pmThanks for all the help so far! Ive one comment and one last question

Question: are race numbers provided on the night or are we supposed to have them already? Someone mentioned using their race number on another forum and I don't have a physical number

Comment: might be worth runners looking at the WW relay thread re the really unfortunate disqualification of a team on leg 6. I've recced that part and it's really tempting to run on the road as its hard to see a trail and my old GPS file told me to run on the road, but it seems the WW is on the bumpy grass bit paralell to the road for 400-500m and not the road itself. In case it saves controversy in our race.

Thanks!
Lillian DeeganMay 18 2022, 7:55pmStephen, I am directing you to the road book shared on May 6th. That doc. is not a souvenir for reading post race. It has really useful race day info. The questions you have raised on here are answered on there. Can you pull it up and read it before gun time please.

John Garry, hi
I'll not be using the IMRA chip timing kit for this race. You can drop that extra weight from your shoe if you like. Don't lose the tag tho. Replacement cost 5 yo yos.
Catlow ShipekMay 23 2022, 4:28pmHi all - I look forward to getting to know Ireland for my first time and am excited about the race and hopefully getting to know many of you. I am coming from the USA and arrive in Dublin June 5th. My wife and I will be staying in central Dublin for a few weeks and then traveling to near Limerick where she is in a Masters Ultimate Frisbee worlds tournament the last week of June.
- If anyone is doing recces that week before the race I would love the opportunity to join you.
- And, if anyone is crewing/spectating the last segments of the race and coming from Dublin, my wife may be interested in riding along.

My email is cshipek@gmail.com. Cheers!

PS - thanks for the clarification of the Hi-vis as I was also wondering what would be suitable.
Phil behanMay 23 2022, 7:34pmCatlow, welcome to the Wicklow Way Race and also Ireland of course ! Hopefully someone picks up your request here. There will usually be some activity on lifts / carpooling closer to the date. If I hear anything I’ll let you know. Thanks again and looking forward to seeing you out on the course.
Lillian DeeganMay 26 2022, 10:33amMorning all,

I'm on with a reminder: This event will close to entries on Monday next at 18h. As per details on the event page - there will be no late entry options.

Volunteers:
Huge thanks to those who have popped their name in to help. I'll be in touch with you shortly. I'm looking for 5 more bodies to aid with the workload for race day.

Thanks - Lillian
Sarah ClarkeMay 28 2022, 1:04pmHey there, the yellow man has gone awol at the left turn down the steep slope to glencree river in Lacken. Easy to miss at the best of times so keep an eye out for the turn!
Hannah KerrMay 29 2022, 5:53pmhey there! if you need more volunteers id be available on Friday evening to help out at registration, but not Saturday, if that would be of use?
David CaulfieldMay 30 2022, 10:52amHello Fellow Runners, where can I find the road book shared on May 6th?
Many thanks
Lillian DeeganMay 30 2022, 4:53pmHello Hannah,

Thanks for the Friday eve. help offer. I'm all good on the volunteer front for June 10th & 11th now. You might have a look at other events and see if you could slip in there to aid fellow RDs - cheers.

Runners: With the WW Race shop closing at 6 this evening, can I ask all who have entered - i.e. those having being pre approved - to email wicklowwayrace@gamil.com if I have not sent you the Road Book. A group entry mail shot went out on May 18th. That email had the Road Book plus one race day update.

If I missed you on that mail shot, can you get in touch on the gmail address please & thanks.

Lillian
Thomas BarrettMay 30 2022, 9:40pmHello,

Are actual OS maps required or will physical copies of the route section do?
Lillian DeeganMay 30 2022, 10:11pmHi Thomas,

The route map you carry needs to pass kit check. I’m not 100% sure what you have in mind as physical copies but I’ll assume you are copying sections between CPs. If it’s the latter, then that’s fine BUT you need to be very sure not to cut sections off because it does not fit the A4 page or whatever. Copies of maps that do not cover the entire route will not pass kit check and you’ll not be in the race.

Anyone presenting with map photocopies on reg. night in place of an OSI or similar route map, will be asked to show all these copies that cover the entire route to pass the mandatory kit check.

And lastly, for all runners - A little word to the wise - Don’t be surprised if your asked to locate random areas on your map at kit check. Be route familiar with the route map you’ll carry folks.
Dara O'BrienMay 30 2022, 10:27pmHi Thomas

I picked up a copy of the Wicklow Way map booklet by East West mapping at basecamp on Jervis St for €8.99 it covers the whole route and is nice and neat to carry.
Thomas BarrettMay 30 2022, 10:35pmSound job lads. Best of luck with yere training over the next week!
JP NerbunJun 3 2022, 12:12pmShoe recommendation!
What's the best checkpoint to switch from trail shoes to road shoes?
Was going to change at checkpoint #3. I just know a lot of the second half is a lot of road.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Dara O'BrienJun 3 2022, 12:35pmYeah, it's a good bit of road from CP3 onwards alright. If the weather holds halfway decent I think I'll just stick with a hybrid pair for the full route (hoka torrents in my case)
Lillian DeeganJun 3 2022, 12:39pmHello all,

A week out from race night, I am publishing our provisional runner list.

We have a small field and only a few women unfortunately. We have last years lead man making a return to race like the clappers no doubt - #GoRobert :)

I have a few names on here that I cannot account for from the pre approval window. Those entries are not valid and they will not be on the final starter listing.

Barrett Daniel
Barrett Thomas
Barrett Duncan
Bodi Pavel
Boyle John
Brennan Mickie
Brereton Ken
Brunnock Patrick
Butterly Eva (DNS)
Byrne Wayne
Campbell Kieran
Campbell Rory
Caulfield David
Clarke Sarah
Connon Stephen
Conway Damian
Cooper Richard
Costello Liam
Croke Ciaran (DNS)
Croke Paul
Cullen Ray
Cummins Raymond
Delany Jack
Dennis Paddy
Domican Thomas
Downes Tom
Duggan Paul
Duncan Niall
Fagan David
Faley Brian
Fox Samuel
Garcia Adolfo
Gorsiak Pawel
Gowan Dave
Griffin Barry
Heggie James
Higgins Seán
Hogan Denis
Hughes Eoghan
Hutchinson Brian
Jankowski Robert
Jocius Donatas
Kavanagh Gordon
Kelly Kevin
Kelly Paul
Kennedy Dale
Keogh Gerard
Kolaric Ivana
Lagrue Niall
Lamy Rui
Lawler Thomas
Levkivskyi Ivan
Mac Eochaidh Eoin
Maly Andreas
Mangan Stephen
McCormac Tim
Meehan Seán
Moore John Garry
Murphy74 John
Nerbun JP
Newport Colm
O Briain Oisín
O'Brien Dara
O'Donoghue Raghnall
O'Donohue David
O'Reilly Rob
O’Toole Ger
Pawelczak Kazimierz
Persic Mauro
Priestman Rob
Redmond Warren
Reynolds Ben
Shanahan Neil
Sherry John
Shipek Catlow
Skrba Zoran
Tully Gerard
Tumulty Ian
Ward Paul
Warren Graeme

Taper happy time to all of you. Mind the body and the head space till this night week :)

Lillian
Lillian DeeganJun 3 2022, 1:15pmThanks Dara.

JP - CP3 is the best choice as Dara notes. Plus, this CP has a drop bag returns option. I’ll have all runner items brought to the finish line for collection post race. Main thing to remember is - be sure to label and seal your neat and tidy drop bag. And obvs only pack your best go fastest road shoes to change into :)

And while I’m on - I was about the route yesterday. I’ve popped up a photo of the junction as you exit from Curtlestown. On our recent zoom session, this Jct. and signage came up. There are two WW route markers on this road section, granted one of them could do with a refresh.
Dara O'BrienJun 3 2022, 1:35pmOn the bag drop Lilian,

For CP3 onwards, is it just one bag that's transported onwards or do we need separate bags for each CP

Cheers
Lillian DeeganJun 3 2022, 1:48pmRunners will place individual well sealed, clearly labeled, CP drop bags in vehicles at Reg. time Dara. These 5 vehicles will be driven to the various checkpoints along the route by our volunteer teams. I expect the largest of the drop bags to be for the finish line - the dry bag.

Our CP volunteers will have all bags laid out as you arrive into checkpoints. When you leave, the drop bags from CP3 onwards, will be collected by me to deliver to the finish line for collection post race.

Drop bags for CP1 and CP2 are FOOD ONLY drop bags and these bags will not be returned to the finish line.
Lillian DeeganJun 3 2022, 3:32pmFor those asking, here is a guide GPX link - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/106582560
Kieran CampbellJun 6 2022, 8:34amHi Lillian,

I have the route map already but the one who have shared is not publicly accessible. Can you change the access?

Thanks

KC
Dale KennedyJun 6 2022, 8:28pmHi Lillian, do crew me.bers have access to all check points?
Many thanks
Raymond CumminsJun 7 2022, 1:56pmI have just seen the message about the race in Djouce being cancelled due to tree felling. I am wondering if you know at this stage whether this will have any impact on the actual route or checkpoint on Friday evening please. Thanks.
Raymond CumminsJun 7 2022, 1:57pmSorry I may have been mixing stuff up......:-)
Graham K. BusheJun 7 2022, 2:20pmHi Ray, last week, the felling was at 53.147334, -6.189886
just off the L1036 Below the middle car-park and should not interfere with the Wicklow Way route.

Best of luck to everyone running Friday/Saturday :)
Graham K. BusheJun 7 2022, 2:26pmI should have said middle Djouce carpark (Calary)
The checkpoint at Crone should not be affected
Lillian DeeganJun 7 2022, 2:51pmKieran - I've just sent that GPX in another format for you by email. Hopefully it will work for you. There are no privacy settings on the org. GPX link shared last Friday.

Dale - absolutely. Crews can access all CP locations. All I ask on this one is - for Crone Woods and Glendalough especially- all crews be super mindful of the time of day. We have houses near the Crone checkpoint and we have the hotel in the valley. To help avoid any issues arising post race, we all need to keep the volume of noise at a low tone. No cow bells for Crone or Glendalough :)

From CP3 onwards - the roads down this way are not like the M50 in terms of road sizing. And the latter is especially important for CP5. This checkpoint is home to me and I don't want our neighbours not being able to get on with their usual daily activities. CP5 is on a lovely country backroad. This is silage season and local vehicles will need to be able to move about freely. Crews have always managed well on this event and I'd expect the same to be the case for this coming weekend.

Ray - see you at Crone with a 45 minute cushion :) The tree felling is further down. The WW Race route won't be impeded by current work's. No doubt you are raring to race. See you in no time. Enjoy the sleeps till then.
Raymond CumminsJun 7 2022, 3:46pmHi Lillian, is it that obvious? ;-) Thanks, see you Friday!!!!
Stephen ManganJun 7 2022, 8:03pmHi Lillian,

Looking forward to the race the weekend. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is overnight parking near the start line in Marley Park.

Driving up from Kerry the morning of the race and plan on leaving the car near the start line. As a Kerryman look forward to coming all the way up to Dublin to run out of Dublin again.

Thanks,
Paul O BrienJun 8 2022, 12:15amThere is a Lidl/Centra right across from the park. There is parking there.
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2022, 4:52amI would be cautious with parking overnight and into Saturday about them there few shops Paul. I hear it's a fantastic little gold mine for the clampers.

For anyone looking to park overnight/ for the duration of their race, you can do so about the area of Marlay Park where we will have sign-in set up. You will need to give the reg. plate of your vehicle to one of my people when you are signing-in with us on Friday night. We ask for registration plates in case of an issue arising with the park rangers when we are not there.

If you are leaving your car there, please be mindful of the park opening/ closing times. Times are as follows at the moment: Opens at 9am. Closes at 10pm.
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2022, 4:57amSharing the tracker link. The No. assigned to your name (1 to 78) on here will be your race bib number for this event. All results will be tied back to your IMRA race No. once we compile the final results for publishing.

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace22/
Catlow ShipekJun 8 2022, 8:33amHi Lillian,
Could you clarify about the requirement for trousers/leggings? The website mandatory kit states "waterproof trousers" and the race manual states "Running tights can count as your full-length leg cover." So, based on the manual I will be fine with non-waterproof full length running tights, correct? Otherwise I will be running to the outdoor store before Friday ;)
Thanks, looking forward to Friday!
Catlow
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2022, 8:50amMorning Catlow,

Did ye bring the sunshine with ye :)

Either item will pass kit check. No need to be trekking about the trail shops for a waterproof bottoms.

Looking forward to meeting both of you at Reg. time. Friday night.

Lillian
James HeggieJun 8 2022, 4:43pmHi Lillian can I just confirm that the Wicklow Way map booklet by East West mapping is ok for manitary kit check it covers the whole route and what we used in previous years Many thanks
James HeggieJun 8 2022, 6:01pmHi just wonderingi if anyone would who is being collected from the finish of the race would have room to take me back from Carlow to Marlay or alternatively anyone with no current lift want to share a taxi ?
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2022, 10:31pmHiya James, yep. The map you mention will suffice. I'm sure you have it worn out from the recce outings :)

And on the finish line carpooling - I'd be saying don't be worrying about a ride back to the big smoke. Just focus on your run south for now. Between us, we'll get you sorted for the return to WW I'm sure.
Lillian DeeganJun 9 2022, 9:14pmLast few bits of info. ahead of tomorrow night's race. I'll do a few bits of safety stuff at race brief time tomorrow night.

Reg. will be set up by the Wicklow Way plaque is Marlay Park. Everyone racing will be given a once off IMRA bib for this use on this race only. Your results will be tied back to your official IMRA No. when we get round to result publishing on the website. Your result will also be sent to ITRA for logging in due course.

Drop Bags - Vehicles will be lined up for drop bag collection in the same area. Please have your drop bag clearly labelled, sealed well and small in size. We will try real hard not to loose anything in transit to each CP. The finish line dry bags are ok to be a tad bigger - Just don't place open shopping bags in any of my helpers vehicles. Things are likely to get get mislaid and you might be feeling a tad cranky on tired legs if an item can't be located #JustSaying

Midge repellent - have it handy in a drop bag to apply liberally. Glendalough and Iron Bridge will be spots you'll fly into and out of thanks to these little devils. Great move on motivators they are.

Ticks - limes disease - You'll run in areas where ticks will are active at this time of year. Post race, you need to triple check the body for any of these little blighters.

At the 97k marker, we'll have a Mr. Whippy van and a route marshal. James will see everyone across this busy little road on to the 170 odd climbing steps off the Derry River headed for the Cow. Runners can have as many 99's here as they wish. A supply of cold soft drinks and slush puppie yolks will also be available to you.

Lastly, we are so very lucky to have a such wonderful volunteer crew with us again this year. From a time given point of view, this event asks a lot of them. They will help you as best they can from Reg. time right through to your race wrap time.

If I've forgotten anything above, just ask.

And that's it folks - sleep well tonight everyone. You'll be out of Marlay and sorting them few nervy feelings this time tomorrow night.

Lillian
Mick HanneyJun 9 2022, 9:26pmAnother thing to be aware of. On the section around Tinahely (not far from the ford) there are horses on commonage along the Wicklow way.. They were there yesterday anyway. You might need to shoo them out of the way. Or jump on board.
John Murphy74Jun 9 2022, 9:49pmMick, met those horses on my recce recently. Not very chatty!
Dara O'BrienJun 9 2022, 9:59pmThey were a bit more pleasant than the rather large and fully intact bull who was wandering freely at the end of Coolafinshoge Lane...
Phil behanJun 9 2022, 10:19pmBest of luck to everyone tomorrow looking forward to seeing you all out on the course ! I’ll be flying around the CPs throughout the night and day so I’m sure ill meet most of you. My wife has made flapjacks for all also, but no match for Lillian’s Ice cream van :) ! See you soon folks.
John Murphy74Jun 9 2022, 10:45pmPhil, can your wife sprinkle a bit of something special on top!? a magic painkiller type thing?
Avril ChallonerJun 10 2022, 9:07amTo add to ice cream and those fabulous flapjacks we will have some chocolate biscuit cake and sausage/veggie sausage sandwiches at Raheenakit! Both have enough calories to power you through the last section.

Best of luck to all racing.
Rory CampbellJun 10 2022, 9:16amHi Dara, that bull put me in mind of another encounter in Coolafinshoge Lane: https://imra.ie/events/report/id/1578/#1532
hopefully no chest bumps this year.
Dara O'BrienJun 10 2022, 10:11amJesus Rory, seems to be the place for random encounters! We should rename it 'Jumanji lane' !!!!
John Murphy74Jun 10 2022, 11:09amGreat report Rory and I believe your story with the sheep, really I do!!
Dara O'BrienJun 11 2022, 4:27pmHuge thanks to all the organisers and volunteers for an excellent event. The ice cream and the bacon sandwich were gifts from the heaven. The volunteers went above and beyond and the whole race went off flawlessly.

Thank you all so much
Raymond CumminsJun 11 2022, 8:22pmWow, what a day we had. We were treated like royalty, literally. Thank You Lillian, and everyone else that helped out.
The Ice Cream van was a stroke of genius!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Stephen ManganJun 11 2022, 9:12pmGreat event brilliantly organised. The volunteers were fantastic. Really appreciated each and every one of them. The support along the route was wonderful, really helped motivate when struggled.

I just missed the ice cream only downside.
Colm NewportJun 12 2022, 9:27amThanks Lillian and the team who made this such a great event!
A big thanks also to whoever turned off the rain 30 mins before the start!
Paul KellyJun 12 2022, 10:02amThanks Lillian and co for another brilliant day on the hills. Hats off to each and every one of ye!
The ice cream at 90odd k was amazing.
Tim McCormacJun 12 2022, 12:07pmThanks a mil to Lillian and the whole support crew who made the event so memorable. Amazing job! All the help and words of encouragement at each CP got me through to the end.
Lillian DeeganJun 12 2022, 3:51pmHello everyone,

Here's hoping all runners are managing to move about today. Well done to all who managed to toe the start line Friday night. Like Colm says - a word of great thanks must go to whoever sorted the weather just before gun time.

I would hazard a guess that getting in & out of bed, up & down the stairs and using the toilet are tough enough tasks today requiring a little more thinking time compared to usual to make the move. No matter how far every runner reached yesterday, I know you all did your absolute best. My volunteers all said they found everyone rocked into & out of checkpoints in the best of spirits all things considered- so a huge well done to all runners for making our helpers task easier. For the people who had to drop out for one reason or another, hard luck guys. I'd expect to see ye back next year for another rattle of the route.

Provisional result: https://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace22/

I've a few runners to give a time allowance to. These lads came to the aid of a fellow runner who had taken an unfortunate slip off Mullacor. Having spoken with this chap earlier, the outcome of his fall has left him nursing an ankle injury in a boot for weeks to come. What I thought to be a real nasty ankle sprain has turned out to be a break/ stress fracture of sorts. Wishing you every best wish with your recovery period Barry. Them trail running shoes will get a nice little bit of forced downtime now :) And thanks a lot for your jovial upbeat humour despite the fact you had to drop from the race in such a manner. See you on the start mat come 2023!

For the lads who came to your aid - Lad's, many thanks for making time to get Barry off the flag stones, down to the fire road and wrapped up as best possible. Never leaving a man on the mountain in difficulty showed through from your collective efforts - massive thanks to all of you. I'll get your times adjusted as soon as I can. Finn Goggin/ Colm Newport - never ever have I been more thankful to have access to a 4-wheel drive to run up and rescue Barry. I'd have been under severe pressure without you at Glenmalure, Finn. I love the fact Colm keeps coming back to these more out there IMRA races too :)

Our WW Race support company & our volunteers: This year Dynafit gave us a special thank you item for all my volunteer crew. Thank you so very much Ross - the tops are just fabulous altogether, they were very well received.

To all of my volunteers: Guys, you were absolutely fantastic. I couldn't have wished for better. I hope all of you have had a chance to catch up on some decent sleep time post-race.

I have a number of drop bags from the finish line and a few items from CP3, 4 & 5 to be collected. I'll get items all sorted in the next few days and get a picture msg posted on here for people to arrange collection options. For the lads who have sent messages on their DBs, I'll get back to you to make a plan - For now, your items will be at Brockagh on Wednesday.

Lastly for now, we have our next IMRA mid-week on Brockagh this Wednesday. Race director Brian is looking for help to run his event. If anyone has a little free time this Wed. evening, Brian would really appreciate your help.

Good luck with the recovery time everyone.

Lillian
David O'DonohueJun 12 2022, 3:52pmThanks again Lillian, Phil and all the wonderful volunteers for a memorable day yesterday. The ice cream van was much appreciated. And a special thanks to whoever made the french toast at The Dying Cow.
Seán HigginsJun 12 2022, 4:16pmRunning and training for races can sometimes be a very selfish pursuit, but then you take part in race like this and experience the all the volunteers who make the event so memorable. So thankful to Lillian, Phil and all the team you were terrific with your encouragement, treats and good spirits.
Ps I might need a hand putting on my socks for the next few days anyone free?
Gerard KeoghJun 12 2022, 7:22pmCongratulations everyone who competed on Friday,

I was unfortunate not to start on Friday, finding out at 1:30pm that my wife had Covid I had no option but forfeit and let the WW slip away again there’s always next year ..

I was at CP3 to give my friends a morale boost along with other runners, and see them on there way

Well done to the guys who helped Barry and see him to CP3, I had no hesitation in driving Barry home least I could. Hope the recovery is a quick one
Gerard TullyJun 12 2022, 8:45pmThanks to everyone from running this event to helping out in any way, we would not have made it the end without your help ,advice, encouragement and your true love of the sport. The support at the check points was the best I have ever experienced. well done all !
Samuel FoxJun 13 2022, 10:17amI have never been treated so well, before, during and after a race. Thanks so much to all the volunteers, Lillian and Phil for such a great race. No easy undertaking to organise a race on that scale. I was talking to a friend who has recently done Ironman Lanza, and he could not believe what an entry fee of 60 euro got you in an IMRA race. Unbelievable to think of all the food, ice cream, chipper meal, Wicklow granite that we got...great generosity and a lot of people out of pocket I think! Legs a bit better today, but don't think I will attempt a run until tomorrow! Thanks again for a memorable night/day on the trails.
Zoran SkrbaJun 13 2022, 1:27pmBig thanks to Lillian and all the crew. Super support, and organisation. Great to see the ice cream van at 96 km again! :) Well done to all.
Eoin Mac EochaidhJun 13 2022, 6:06pmThanks to all for the organising and volunteering of a great night and day out on the hills.
Liam CostelloJun 13 2022, 6:56pmThank you so much Lillian and all your fantastic volunteers for this event. Such care and attention at the aid stations and the organisation of the event was first class.
Jack DelanyJun 13 2022, 6:57pmThanks so much Lillian and all of the volunteers. Incredibly well put together and the support at all of the checkpoints was a key factor in making it to the end. The bacon sandwich at Mucklagh and then the slush puppie later on were real life savers!
Ger OTooleJun 13 2022, 11:28pmLillian, Phil and team, thank you so much for an amazing race. It was just incredible, a 5 star service from start to finish. So much support, care, attention and fun from all the volunteers. The CPs were little parties. Loved the bacon sandwiches, hot tea, ice cream, French toast, sausages, chips and burger. Couldn’t ask for anything more. Incredible. Thanks. Ger
John MolloyJun 17 2022, 9:29pmWell done to all runners in this Years event, to all who achieved their goal and to those who crossed the start line full of expectations and comittment . Anyone who has not yet read Raymond Cummins report on his experience should read it as soon as you can. It is a great piece of inspirational writing. Raymond brings you with him kilometre by kilometre acknowledging the difficulties, the supports, and the communal nature of those great event.
Well done Raymond
Lillian DeeganJun 17 2022, 11:49pmThanks for the reminder John.

Ray, fair play - that's a great read and an even greater achievement as a finisher on this years N/S race all things considered. I was on with Primal this afternoon tidying up the results a tad and we both had a good auld giggle when inputting the CP times for tracker #20. You sure them Dr's didn't stick in a pacemaker on the QT :)

Reading there that you took your meds at CP3, along with taking due care on the sketchy sections to save bleeding out on me - I'm high 5ing you for those extra efforts while in race mode.

Congrats on being a 2022 finisher and for managing it nicely inside the 21hrs this year Ray - well done you. Roll on 2023!
Raymond CumminsJun 19 2022, 7:02amThank You John and Lillian. :-)

I am glad that you enjoyed the report, it was definitely written from the heart. It was a fantastic experience. Initially I was not sure whether people would be interested in reading. I am very grateful for the positive feedback.

The tracker certainly provided for some entertainment for those watching online, and I can imagine for you Lillian and the guys at Primal Tracking. :-)

I am so fortunate that the race is on my doorstep.

Yesterday I spent a few hours hiking with Tom Milligan who along with Mick Rice were I believe 2 of the first people to completed The Wicklow Way when it was not a race back in 1998.

Thank you again!!!!
Paul DugganJun 19 2022, 10:37pmThanks so much Lillian and all the volunteers,great to be greeted by smiling faces at the cp’s. See you next year maybe:)
Samuel FoxJul 17 2022, 10:21pmHi Lillian. Are official results going to be posted up as I wanted to use this as a qualifier for another event, thank you!
Lillian DeeganJul 18 2022, 8:49amSorry for the delay Sam. I’ve sent a reminder on my end to get the results published.
Conor O'FarrellJul 18 2022, 3:50pmApologies for the delay on getting the results up. They should be all good now.

Con
Samuel FoxJul 18 2022, 4:07pmPerfect - a speedy response, thanks so much!