Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballinastoe

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganApr 27 2023, 11:32amHi all, we have lost Sorrell Hill for this year. We couldn't get a permit to allow us take 200 runners over there. Ballinastoe is back as the replacement.

Thanks to John Fitzgerald and Martin Bagnall for moving RD locations for us. Really appreciate your help on here lads.
Lillian DeeganJun 23 2023, 10:43amMorning everyone,

I'm on with news of a need to swap dates about a tad.

Our Ballinastoe race will move to July 12th. The Coillte Crone Caper race will be held on July 19th. As soon as is possible, we'll get the calendar changes made.

To help take the pressure off our two race directors involved in this date change - can I ask members not to be shy in coming forward to give the lads a hand to pull the required race crews together.

Thanks all - Lillian
John FitzgeraldJun 23 2023, 3:26pmHi everyone. Ballinastoe race brought forward to 12th.July.
So volunteers required for laptop operator, course marshals, running and non running please. Thanks for the people who have already singed up.
Many thanks,
John.
John FitzgeraldJun 28 2023, 2:12pmHi again. Another shout out for volunteers for the epic
Ballinastoe race only two weeks away now .Laptop operator, course marshals, running and non running all welcome.
John.
Laura FlynnJun 28 2023, 5:47pmJust put my name down there John to help out.
John FitzgeraldJun 29 2023, 1:03pmThank's Laura for volunteering.
John FitzgeraldJul 5 2023, 11:03amHi again folks .I would really appreciate several more volunteers
for our race on wed next.
Also I am looking for a tail runner .
It would greatly assist our course marshals when to head back to base.
Thanks all
John F.
Laura FlynnJul 5 2023, 11:47amI’m already down to help John so I can do tail runner and that should allow me to help at registration as well if that suits you?
John FitzgeraldJul 5 2023, 12:37pmBrilliant Laura, thank you so so much.
John.
Noel ReganJul 6 2023, 10:38pmHi John,
I can help out.
Noel
John FitzgeraldJul 7 2023, 10:37amGreat Noel, just add your name on the
volunteer page.
Thanks,
John.
Aubrey O'NeillJul 7 2023, 1:04pmAlso happy to tail run this one if it helps
John FitzgeraldJul 7 2023, 3:51pmThanks everyone for volunteering .
We have enough volunteers now,
Next two hill races could do with
more help.
John.
John FitzgeraldJul 8 2023, 11:32amThanks Aubrey. Be delighted to accept your offer to tail run.
John.
John FitzgeraldJul 9 2023, 7:27pmEntries for the Ballinastoe epic open tomorrow
Monday 10th. at 9am. and close at 12 noon on
Wednesday 12th.
Long course 11K.
Junior/Short course 4•5K.
Eoin SyronJul 10 2023, 11:07pmA Chairde
As was the case last year

-------Ballinastoe ROUTE---

For those of you who have not run this route before, a word of warning there is good 20-30% of this race that is not on trail or path of any kind. It crosses bog, swam and a river, and it, brings you through very narrow fire breaks, forest, gorse and ferns. (you can not avoid getting your feed wet).
The out and back section along the north of the forest will be marked the same as other years races, and the route is very obvious. However once you enter the forest the route is not always obvious with the race going into gaps between the trees that some times look overgrown. As well as lots of turns in the forest. Therefore the route will be very well marked. With markers visible when there is not an obvious route. So all runners should keep their eyes open for markers all the time. IF you are running for two minutes in without seeing a marker in the forest, then you have probably gone wrong.

The route crosses MTB tracks in several places, so please pay attention to fast moving vehicles, especially on the climb after the river. For the river crossing, the route will go to the left of the old concrete bridge.
Remember don't follow the person in front (they might be gone wrong). Keep an eye out for markers all the time and what every you, Enjoy yourselves!
John BellJul 11 2023, 2:30pmHi Eoin / John, is the junior course the out and back to the Wicklow Way, or the looped course shown on the map? Last year it was the out and back.
Tim GrummellJul 11 2023, 2:55pmBetter again would anyone happen to have a strava map of the short course by any chance?
John FitzgeraldJul 11 2023, 3:48pmJunior/Short course is 4•5K and is straight up
to the Wicklow Way and back down again.
Avoiding all the difficult section that Eoin
described yesterday.
John FitzgeraldJul 11 2023, 6:45pmEntries close at 12 noon tomorrow.
Race Details.
Early start for anyone usually 160%
of winning time.
Main start at 7.30.
Junior/Short course start at 7.40.
All under 18 must take this course.
Under 10 must be accompanied by a guardian.

Car Parking.
Car parking is limited so please car pool from
Roundwood or from public car park near Plucks.
Please follow marshals instructions and fill
up upper car park first.

Volunteers.
Can all volunteers arrive by 5.45.pm. and if you
have a Hi Vi's please bring with you.
Eoin will brief course marshals at 6.40pm

Enjoy and safe running everyone.
Daniel O'BrienJul 12 2023, 7:55amHi everyone, looking forward to this evening :) I was just wondering if there are any volunteer going tonight passing or coming from Bray/Greystones direction or anywhere on the DART line for 5.45pm that I could maybe shar a lift with? Much appreciated, thanks Daniel
Eoin SyronJul 12 2023, 9:12amRoute update,

After the fire swamp just before the magical tunnel, there is now a gravel road/ track and a parking area for a film set. After the parking area the route goes straight into the forest for a few meters before turning left to get back to the magical tunnel..
This is at the end of the red section on the map.
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2023, 9:36amThe magical Ballinastoe epic obstacle
course described brilliantly by Eoin.

Forecast is looking good for the race .

Entries close at 12 Noon today.

Registered closes at 7.15. Sharp tonight
to allow Miriam and Daniel set up laptop
at start area, 5 minutes away.

Have a great race everyone.
Aubrey O'NeillJul 12 2023, 9:48amHi John / Eoin - Apologies for late notice but due to unforeseen circumstances neither myself or clubmate Jordan Demery can make this evening (we're down as volunteers). I hope you see this in good time. Apologies for the inconvenience.
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2023, 10:39amThanks Aubrey and Jordan for letting us know
in good time.
Next two L.L. races need volunteers
Regards
John F.
Anne LyonsJul 12 2023, 11:38amHi John is it possible to run and volunteer thanks anne lyons
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2023, 11:49amOK Anne you can run but I need you at
registration at 5.45.
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2023, 11:50amAnne you must enter the race only
10 minutes left.
Graham K. BusheJul 12 2023, 11:58am...and 2 minutes...
Andrew HanneyJul 12 2023, 2:52pmJohn are you ok for helpers? I intend to take photos up the jb malone side of the course in case you need anything.
Anne LyonsJul 12 2023, 3:26pmThanks John
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2023, 3:36pmThanks Andrew for offering to help.
If you could help with other marshals car parking at Ballinastoe entrance
by sending all cars up to upper car park first. If you have a Hi Vi's
bring with you. Thanks.
John.
Daniel O'BrienJul 12 2023, 5:17pmHi John and Miriam. Unfortunately I have been badly delayed as my train was cancelled. I'm on a bus to Kilmac at the moment, but don't expect to be there until 17:50. My apologies for this, I will try get to the race location ASAP!
Rob TobinJul 12 2023, 10:14pmThat was an epic. Never a dull moment . A strong contender for course of the year. Thanks to John, Eoin and all the volunteers. I might just have a race report in me yet!
Dillon RyanJul 12 2023, 10:19pmThanks very much to the first aid guy at the end line for the ice and bandage on my ankle :). Huge help. Thanks to all the volunteers out there today.
Richard FoxJul 12 2023, 10:34pmThanks so much to John and all the volunteers for an extraordinary event this evening. Fabulous course with a lot of everything. Well done again John on a superb event and many thanks for such wonderful organisation.
Cheers
foxy
Alan KennedyJul 12 2023, 11:15pmWow, what a course tonight. We were warned about the big, mick and water and we got it all. Really enjoyable run so thanks to John and crew for great organisation and to the marking, despite a few going off course, it all looked good to me and the runners around me. Hope poor Enda got his lollipop in the end from Nurse Lillian.
Karen CreanJul 12 2023, 11:26pmHi all..
Thanks to all involved for a fantastic course.
While running through the forest, the line from a paragraph came back to haunt me..."If you are running for more than 2 mins and don't see any markers , you have gone wrong."...thanks to all for helping getting us back on track...
I am approx 1 hour and 55 mins from this evenings race so I tipped off straight after...appreciate all the effort to have sambos and food in local pub...next time I will arrange to hang about after..
Well done again..
Karen
Tim ManganJul 13 2023, 12:01amLOVE the Ballinastoe race. Wild stuff.
Thanks to John, Eoin and all the volunteers.
Ted BurkeJul 13 2023, 1:59amThanks for a great race! Unfortunately, my result is showing as DNF even though I did finish (in about 1:03:32 according to Strava). My race number is 2437. This was my first race in 2023 (apart from Wicklow Way relay), so maybe I need to do something else with my chip or something like that?
Niall CorriganJul 13 2023, 6:17amI have a photo of Ted crossing the line between no’s 2304 and 651. I’ll try and upload all photos I have of the finish later today.
John FitzgeraldJul 13 2023, 6:38amMassive thanks to All the volunteers for making the epic
Ballinastoe race run so smoothly last night. Every single
one of you were so accommodating and helpful.For all the
hours over the last few days and for marking this crazy magical
course take a bow once again Eoin.
Well done to all you running last evening and very encouraging
to see so many Junior's participating.
Thanks to Joe and his team for looking after us
so well last night.
Hope we can do it all again next year.

John F.
Ted BurkeJul 13 2023, 8:33amThanks Niall :-)
Brendan LawlorJul 13 2023, 8:53amBig thank you to John, Vivian and their A-Team of volunteers and marshals last night for another Ballinastoe epic…several magical tunnels, two river crossings, mud n shite, flies, a film set, fire road, open mountain, punishment, grarly bits, rocky bits, ferns and undergrowth, swamps and a fantastic downhill finish..the race had everything and never disappoints!

Welcome back to our ex Pres Laura Flynn and to Jody Boyle
Thomas DonohoeJul 13 2023, 9:08amepic route, probably my fave IMRA summer race ever. thanks to team for putting it on!
Warren SwordsJul 13 2023, 9:41amThanks to John and all the volunteers for a great night of racing. Ballinastoe never disappoints. Great to see new runners enjoying the course. It just never lets up and always surprises me. This year I needed to get a boost up the cliff at the bottom of the downhill.

It's really hotting in for the race to the Leinster League 2023 Title. A single point separates Peter Roche and Mark McAdden. Peter on 14 points V Mark on 15.

Strava Flyby is great craic. Seems some liked the race so much they added extra loops on. https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#9439831930?c=gc7w1f1x&z=F&t=1ahlNf&a=emeoMk_4qTJqG6QyblylMhNlpTKYbaQy2l7DMvKJpDIKoKQygd-kMlF7pDKp46gyAbOjMiZOqDJETqQyIg6kMn_CpDIhG6MydbijMlwTpTLYmKMyaICjMqQtpTKjRKQywx-mMrQqojJTuqkyFomtMtCGrTI05qEySFClMnVFpDJUm6IybuWhMg
Richard GallagherJul 13 2023, 3:37pmThanks to all volunteers for yesterday evening, an enjoyable course with plenty variety underfoot to keep the heart pounding.
At registration I got entered into short race by mistake, can this be corrected for long race results. Time was in around 1:07. (No. 658)

Thanks.
Declan McInerneyJul 13 2023, 8:37pmThank you very much to all the organisers and volunteers for yesterday's race, a brilliant route. I'm pretty sure I finished the race around an hour seven minutes also. Can my result be changed from DNF if possible please? Thanks again.
Rob TobinJul 13 2023, 10:46pmRace report up. Thanks once again to John, Eoin and volunteers for a great evening's racing.
Conor O'FarrellJul 14 2023, 3:09pmHi All

Can you please send any results queries to results@imra.ie.

Thanks
Conor