Irish Mountain
Running Association

Crone Maulin Night Challenge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Alistair HodgettFeb 19 2024, 2:35pmHi, a few details added for the race together with a call for additional volunteers, especially laptop and first aid (thank you to those who have already put their names forward). If you have an injury, are tapering for the Maurice Mullins 50k or just want to get your volunteering in early in the season, now is a good time to contribute.
On the heels of the popular Women’s Night Run, this race is a great opportunity for those who like mountain running at night, or who want to give it a try. It’s a relatively straightforward course but which has – in the right weather – some great views. Any questions please ask.
Alistair HodgettMar 4 2024, 9:52amMany thanks to those who have volunteered already. We still need a few more volunteers and especially putting out a call for a Laptop Operator. If you've got some experience as assistant laptop operator this is an ideal opportunity as there will be plenty of experience on hand to help you out if needed.
Niall McGuinnessMar 4 2024, 10:05amI put my name down for the laptop Alistair. I've done it a few times but will also take any support on offer!
Alistair HodgettMar 6 2024, 10:25amThis event is now open for entries. Important reminders:

Entries will close at 6pm on Wednesday 13th March. There are no late entries or transfers.

A headtorch or equivalent will be mandatory kit. Any head torch that allows you to see where you are putting your feet will do.

Please bring your headtorch and all of the 6 items on the “B standard” kit below with you to the race:

1) waterproof jacket
2) hat or buff
3) gloves
4) whistle
5) charged mobile phone with emergency number stored
6) a foil blanket, bivvy bag or equivalent.

You should also have the means to carry all the kit around the course in case required.

A reminder to also please plan to carpool as much as possible.
Alistair HodgettMar 8 2024, 4:16pmAlso please note re: junior entries that runners who are or will be 16 or older in 2024 (that's runners in the U18 category) can run (and are very welcome). Per the junior runners policy, younger runners cannot participate in this event. Any questions re: this or anything else re: the event let me know. Thanks.
Alistair HodgettMar 12 2024, 5:44pmA polite reminder that registration for this event closes 6:00pm sharp tomorrow Wednesday so if you are planning to enter, please do it before then! There are no late entries or transfers.

Volunteers: I will have an email with info for you tomorrow but in the meantime if you can plan on being at Crone car park for 6:15pm on Friday for briefing and set-up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone for this on Friday night.
Andy KeelingMar 14 2024, 1:37pmOn behalf of Trail Criu I'll be accepting gear donations at the Crone night challenge. Any items of running gear that is usable is very welcome. Especially if anyone has spares of any items on the mandatory gear lists. All gear will be used to make races more inclusive to runners who might not have the means to assemble their own stash of mandatory gear. Also, for this particular event if anyone has any spare headtorches that can be borrowed for the night please get in touch with me on 0 ate 3 ate nine 21 six 58. Thank you!
Alistair HodgettMar 14 2024, 8:57pmFinal reminders ahead of tomorrow night:

Bring your chip (and number) and also any extra IMRA chips you might have from prior years - we will gladly reuse them.

Weather forecast is for a clear and cool night so bring the mandatory kit plus head torch and layer up the clothing.

Be at Crone Woods car park in good time to register 6:45 to 7:45 and be your usual cheerful selves with the volunteers as they help direct you to park, sign in and register at the laptop.

Any volunteers who haven't had an email from me please let me know.
Liam VinesMar 15 2024, 10:31amSo as Alister says bring any extra chips that you might have along but don’t let them get mixed in with the chip’s being given out. Stick them in a bag and leave them with the laptop operator. They have to be wiped before they can be reused..
There is a timing system change on the near horizon we just need to keep the old one chugging along until it’s ready to go. The old chips won’t work with the new system so no point in holding onto them.
So be part of the circular economy and hand them in..

And remember to bring any unused gear with you for Andy and the Trail Criu group. We all have that pair of runners we bought on line that just didn’t fit..
Warren SwordsMar 15 2024, 10:31pmWow that race was some craic. Well done to Alistair and team for an exceptionally well organised race. And to everyone who got a night race green lit.

The race marking worked really well too.

Thanks again to everyone who gave up their Friday night to volunteer.
Andrew HanneyMar 15 2024, 10:43pmThere’s only one word to describe tonight’s event… magical.
Well done the volunteers and well done IMRA.
Mick HanneyMar 15 2024, 10:47pmFabulous race.
Tough, but great fun in the torchlight.
Maulin is hard at the best of times. To run it on a still, mild night with other like minded souls was great.

Thanks to Alastair & crew & the committee for making this unique event happen.
Simon WheatleyMar 15 2024, 10:57pmFirst time running with Imra tonight. What a run to start with ! Will certainly be back for more. Many thanks to all organisers and volunteers.
Andy KeelingMar 15 2024, 11:05pmThanks to Alistair and crew for a great race tonight. Whole different ball game at night. Great craic.

Huge thank you to everyone who donated gear tonight! You're all stars. Very generous. It's greatly appreciated.

And thanks for my Happy Birthday song too :p
Rob TobinMar 15 2024, 11:07pmPowerful. One of the punchiest climbs in the country, followed by a fast descent along a ridge that seems to change its spots on the hour every hour, hurtling back along the Wicklow Way towards the finish line with some very welcome sangwidges and great chats. Well done and thanks to Alistair, Alan and all the volunteers. A Friday evening well spent!
James CurranMar 16 2024, 8:18amThanks a million to everyone involved in the organisation of this race. Loved every minute.
Brendan LawlorMar 16 2024, 8:42amFantastic moonlit race last night and as I recall this is the first IMRA night race in Leinster ( please correct me if I’m wrong). Thank you and well done to Alistair and his volunteer team. Special kudos to the parking marshals who had their work cut out parking all the cars in the dark. Route marshals did a great job too. Sambos and can at the finish were top notch , with a lovely buzz amongst all the finishers! Hope it becomes an annual event !
Alice ClancyMar 16 2024, 9:20amThanks Alistair and all the volunteers for such a lovely nightrun! Such a gorgeous night, great craic and sandwiches too! The course was really well marked and marshalled.
Hopefully it becomes an annual event ….or even a headtorch league??!
David Noel RyanMar 16 2024, 10:01amBig shout out to the two lads that gave me antiseptic wipes and water to washout the elbow gash and to Imogen and nurse Claire and the two other lovely women. First night run and was hosted brilliantly. Fair play all
Robert CostelloMar 16 2024, 10:41amWell done Alistair and team for giving up your Friday night for such a fun race. Bring on more night challenges!
Clare KeeleyMar 16 2024, 11:04amThanks a million Alistair and team for a great night out! The route was so well marked and marshaled and a really lovely atmosphere from start to finish. Really looking forward to more of this style of race.
Hope your elbow is ok David!
Clare
Mike WalkerMar 16 2024, 11:16amThank you Alistair and all the wonderful volunteers,
It was a really fun and cool run, especially the stars and moon.
Mike
Rachel CinnsealachMar 16 2024, 12:01pmWell what a way to spend a Friday night. Absolutely fabulous event. Thanks to all involved.
Alistair HodgettMar 16 2024, 3:46pmGlad everyone enjoyed this event, we were lucky with a clear starry night for it!

Kudos to the great team of volunteers who managed the extra challenge of night-time volunteering superbly. Great to see the race reports and photos, anyone else who would like to add either of these please do.

Results are now up and any issues please email results@imra.ie as forum comments aren't easy to monitor.
Robert WarmanMar 16 2024, 4:25pmAs a first time car parking marshal, it was a little daunting, but the patience, cooperation and smiley faces of all the runners made it a great evening (and of course the support and guidance of Alistair, Lilian and the gang). Great atmosphere and perfect night for it. And if you can’t run, volunteer…it’s really rewarding.
Niall McGuinnessMar 16 2024, 9:35pmIt was definitely a night to be out on the hills but Alistair helped create a lovely atmosphere for the volunteers too. I was on laptop and the timing mat let us down on the night. But with the help of a super chilled RD, Derek his trusty sidekick, and intrepid laptop assistant Harriette, we breezed past this hiccup. Thanks too to Jeff and Stuart for their help with getting the results up so quickly.
Keelin HolmesMar 17 2024, 7:30amThank you to everyone who works so hard to organise such great events and a lovely community spirit ! Really enjoyed Friday night ! Thanks Keelin!
Anthony O'CallaghanMar 19 2024, 1:45pmThanks so much to the organisers, a little piece of magic on a Friday night - a real credit to all involved.