Irish Mountain
Running Association

Atlantic 5000 Charity Hill Run

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgNov 6 2009, 8:18pmI've added details for a charity hill run taking place in Munster later in November in aid of the Atlantic 5000 challenge. Full details on event page.
niamh o ceallaighNov 16 2009, 9:29amHi,

This sounds like a great race, particularly the tea and sandwiches after! Unfortunately I can't make it down as I will be helping at the race director training this weekend.

Below is my rant - Quite possibly completely unjustified, so please ignore if this is the case!
I just wanted some clarification...
This isn't a "charity" hill race, is it?
It seems to be to help raise funds to allow somebody achieve their ambition of rowing accross the atlantic.
There are two charities mentioned on the website, but no mention of how much, (if any) money will go to them. When I click the "donate" button on the charities page, it goes straight to a paypal page with no mention of the charities, just atlantic 5000, so seems to be just funding the trip accross the atlantic.

I guess what I'm saying is there needs to be TRANSPARANCY and CLARITY!!
I get irritated by "charity" races where little or no money is actually going to the charity. In the past, I have sometimes made a phonecall before entering a "charity" race to check how much of the race entry fee goes to the charity - Often very, very little! The Dublin Port Tunnel race was one such example as far I as can recall.
On the other hand, the "Darkness into Light" race in the Park during the summer was an amazing race organized directly by the charity, with all money going to the charity (Pieta House).

Anyway, perhaps in this case, there is lots of money going to charity and that is great.
Or perhaps there is not and if this is the case please do not advertise as a charity race. I'm sure people would be happy to support a transatlantic rowing effort.

After all that, I hope you have a great race and the weather is good for you. Absolutely no offence is intended above. I would just like clarification and if I have ranted on, it is just because it is something i feel strongly about.

Niamh
Mike JonesNov 17 2009, 3:42pmHi,
Firstly thanks to Barbara and the race organisers for offering to support my row across the Atlantic in aid of Milford Care Centre and Marymount Hospice.

Just to clarify that 50% of all monies received go directly to chraity, the other 50% goes towards the cost of the expedition. Apologioes that it is not clear on the website but it is still under developmetn and I will certainly look into making the details clear.

I appreciate Niamhs point that alot of people like to use the names of charities to help promote their own cause/event and in fact donate vey little but I assure you I have talked to both organisiations and they are very happy that I am helping to raise money for them.

If you have any further queries about the row or the charities please feel free to drop me an email (mike@atlantic5000.com) or if you are around this weekend for the race you can talk to me in person as I will be there.

Many thanks for your support.
Best Regards
Mike Jones
Peter O'FarrellNov 20 2009, 12:39pmBumpity bump...

Delightful hillrace on Sunday out West. All roads to Cork and Galway are submerged but luckily the canny Munster lady and men have organised the race for Limerick. clever hey?

see ye there..
Anyone that availed of the €10 entry at powerscourt can really get the benefit of that if they go here too :)
Sean BroderickNov 23 2009, 10:46amGreat race yesterday. Thanks very much to all the organizers. Really enjoyable day despite the heavy rain. A bargain for €10, tea and all the sandwiches you could eat after. Best of luck to Mike with the rest of his fundraising!

Sean
Jen LynchNov 25 2009, 4:47pmHi - I'm just wondering if there are any photos from the charity hill run?

Jen
Gerry BradyNov 26 2009, 7:49pmRace results in race report.
Gary MaddenDec 1 2009, 2:55pmCan you check the Barry Donoghue entry (no. 158)

I think that might be myself - Gary Madden? West Limerick.