Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Pieter van de WielDec 11 2009, 7:52pmDear reader,
We, 12 members of athletic club Hollandia (Hoorn, the Netherlands),have planned to run the Wicklow Way Relay with 2 teams. To complete the first team (8 runners), we are looking for 1 lady runner that is willing to run the 8 or 10K. To complete the second team (7 runners) we need 2 female runners, one for the 9,6K and one for the 10K.

Best regards,
Pieter
Conor O'NeillDec 15 2009, 12:27pm
The Motivate Challenge

An exciting new Adventure Race, which takes place on September 11th 2010 at Punchestown Racecourse,Co.Kildare. More info coming soon at www.motivatechallenge.com
Cath O'NeillMar 10 2010, 10:59amHi Joe
Could you tell me when it is possible to get an entry form for the Wicklow Way Relay?
Rene BorgMar 10 2010, 11:11amJust out of curiosity has it been considered to move the Wicklow Way Relay to the weekend 26th-27th June which seems to be free (only the WMRA Youth Challenge runs that day) rather than the 12th where it clashes with both the Trial and the Mourne Way race series? The weekend 10th-11th July is late (possibly too late?) but also seems to have only a Munster race conflicting.

Or are their other constraints governing the current choice over the other weekend(s)?

Tony DoolinMar 10 2010, 11:18amThe Setanta Rogaine is on that weekend, and there are quite a few IMRA folk who are regular participants

http://www.setantaorienteers.org/event/rogaine-ireland-2010

Regards,
Tony
Bruce ShenkerMar 10 2010, 11:20amIf it is July 10-11 does anyone possibly have room for an extra runner???
Niamh O CeallaighMar 10 2010, 11:24amHi Rene,

Changing the date of the Wicklow Way Relay was considered but decided against. It has always been held on the same weekend - first Sat after bank holiday and this is the weekend that the suits the amazing, loyal organisers. Unfortunately, there are always going to be some clashes with other events.

I suggest that if you would like to be involved, but are racing the next day, you might like to manage a team or be a changeover marshall. That way, you can still enjoy the atmosphere.

Niamh O Ceallaigh
IMRA Race Coordinator
Rene BorgMar 10 2010, 11:57amOk, well, the organisers priorities come first.

Won't be able to help unfortunately, as I'm currently thinking either doing the Mourne Way Half (which clashes) or the Trial. If doing the trial, volunteering would not be proper race preparation I'm afraid, especially not acting as team captain.
Rene BorgMar 10 2010, 11:59amI should mention, I don't race for the atmosphere but for the race! That being said the Wicklow Way Relay does provide at terrific bonus in that way, but its just a bonus.
Joe LalorMar 10 2010, 10:10pmCath, I have not got around to putting up the various links on the Wicklow Way Relay page yet. However anyone looking for an entry form can get one from last years event page ( http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/612/ ). The entry form and fee are the same. 15 Euro per team member but a lower limit of 60 Euro per team.
Rowan McMahonMar 10 2010, 10:10pmSurely you'll have time to get the miles up to do the full Mourne Way Marathon. It is unfortunate that the WWR event clashed this year with the but it is becoming harder to find a weekend which suits all at present.

No matter what event you choose to do along the Mourne Way, we'll look forward to seeing you in Rostrevor.
Rene BorgMar 11 2010, 3:56amRowan, you should think so ;-)

But I’m turning my attention to shorter stuff (do a few miles etc.) this year, so would see the MW Half as a replacement for the Wicklow Way Trail and WWR Leg 7 which I’ll most likely miss and which tend to be my best runs (you should be allowed one run that plays to your strengths per year at least. I prefer a 20k headstart to help not expose my lack of speed ;-)).

Your marathon will feature on my list of “to dos some day” however!
Joe LalorApr 12 2010, 9:43pmWWR Briefing Week 1

It is that time of year again when the annual wind up for the Wicklow Way Relay starts. For the sake of the many new runners let me start with what most of you know well by now. Every week (on a Monday night) there is a briefing note issued, be sure to read them all.
The event is limited to 30 teams to minimise traffic distruption in some very rural areas (if more than one arrives in same post as 30th they scrape through). To avoid situation of last year with huge flood of late entries NO place can be reserved. Teams will be only accepted with signed form (not electronic), fee and names (subs will be allowed in case of injury).
For the moment entry form and rules can be found on the 2009 WWR event page (link hopefully in place on 2010 page soon)
Brendan LawlorApr 13 2010, 12:35pmIt sounds likely that the 30 team places will snapped up like hot cakes and that subsequently the 240 running spots will equally be in demand.

So an early appeal on behalf of my wife Elaine (F40) and her friend Emma Wilkinson (F50) who would like to join a team , preference for leg 3, 4 or 5 to facilitate child minding on the day

Contact me on blawlor7 at googlemail.com or 087 2four3279ate
Cath O'NeillApr 13 2010, 4:16pmWhere is there information about the age categories on the website?
Paul KellyApr 19 2010, 12:31pmBridge out Leg 4

Central support for bridge on Leg 4, towards Glendalough, has been washed away so bridge closed off. Diversion in place to Laragh. If bridge not opened in time for relay perhaps could use part of Brockagh route to rejoin WW rather than follow dangerous road section between Laragh and Glendalough?
Joe LalorApr 19 2010, 8:30pmWeek 2 Briefing

To start with some issues that came up on the forum during the week

I still have a problem with behind the scenes access to website, so entry form, rules and routes are as stated to be found for the moment on WWR 2009 page.

I am aware that there is a bridge down ( and not to be used ) on leg4. I will make a ruling nearer race day.

As most of you know the WWR is a fundraising event for our Junior Squad. As in previous years there is a limit of 30 teams at €15 a runner, but a minimum per team is set at €60 (even if only 2/3 runners)

Get your entry form in: Entry forms can be downloaded from www.imra.ie events 2009 WWR, with details of appropriate fees and return address.

Start training: Over the coming weeks build up your distance, meet others doing the WWR and discuss tactics, and maybe get on a team or pick up new team members.

Consider maps and guides:
Maps: 1. To cover the full route Discovery Series OS 56 and 62 are needed, scale 1:50000

2. The Harvey map of Wicklow (1:30000) has excellent colour definition and is most recent. It covers Prince Williams Seat to Lugnaquilla, stages 2 to 5

3. The largest scale map available at 1:25000 is Pat Healy’s map of Glendalough and Glenmalure (healyp@eircom.net)covers stages 4 to 6

Guides:1. Wicklow Way Map Guide EastWest Mapping

2. The complete Wicklow Way O'Brien Press

3. OS Wayfarer Series Wicklow Way OS

Over the next few weeks I will issue a WWR briefing each Monday, this should answer any questions anyone new to hillrunning might have.

1. The closing date is on the receipt of the 30th entry (with fee). The WW can accommodate more than 30 runners but the minor roads and lanes we use cannot deal with the traffic generated by 30+ teams. Some regulars were late in entering last year and the door was held open, not this year, you have been warned.
2. Team captains sign that they (and their team) will abide by the rules. One rule states “all runners will have previously done their leg”. This is unsafe to runners and unfair and to the organisers if not acted upon.
3. Most runners treat the WWR as a fun event but it is also a competitive inter club event. Bearing this in mind could I remind you of a rule change that was introduced last year. Although substituting runners are allowed up to race start (as long as they are registered IMRA runners and know their route) but once the race starts runners or running order cannot be changed. To spell this out if a runner misses his or her handover another team member cannot run in their place and the team remain competitive.

Joe LalorApr 20 2010, 10:00amWWR

A small point has arisen that needs some clarification.
All runners in the WWR need to be registered to IMRA for insurance reasons. If not allready members for 2010 all this involves is signing a membership form before race day. If runners only intend to run the WWR there is no fee involved.
However if they later wish to do any other IMRA race they need to take out a paid 2010 membership (€10)
Jim FitzharrisApr 20 2010, 2:41pmHi all,

I want to take part in the WWR 2010 and I am seeking to join a team.

For the last couple of years I have organised a team myself but this year I cannot do that because I am tied up later on the day of the event.

I can offer a prospective team a few advantages:-

- I am familiar with legs 1 to 5 (have run or recced them all in the WWR and Wicklow Trail) altough I have a preference for legs 1 or 2, or failing that 4 or 5.
- I am an M50 so qualify in the vet category
- I can offer significant logistical support for the first 5 legs after which I will have to head home.

I have the disadvantage that I am a mid-pack runner so not much use to a serious competitive team hoping for a podium finish!

I can be contacted at jim dot fitzharris (at) smurfitkappa dot com or 086 8090525.

Cheers,

Jim Fitzharris.

Cath O'NeillApr 20 2010, 4:05pmHi
We are a team of novice runners with a "provisional licence" hoping to do the WWR. We are doing the relay as a personal challenge in the 8 legs and do not foresee our team breaking the tape in first place at the end of the relay!! The leg that concerns us the most is Leg 7 and no one in the team is too keen on the running this leg without an oxygen mask!! Is there anyone out there who would be keen to join our team to complete this leg? My email is cath1oneill@hotmail.com or phone 0857391928.
Mick HanneyApr 20 2010, 4:30pmDon't let leg 7 put you off. If you can train yourself to do some long slow runs in the build up to the event, and you've recce'd the leg, its fine. The leg is ideally suited to someone who might have a half marathon or marathon in mind and who is not put off by the distance. The climbs are a lot tamer than the climbs on earlier legs too. Its a part of the Wicklow way thats less travelled and thats part of its appeal in my opinion.
Joe LalorApr 26 2010, 7:30pmWeek 3 Briefing. Entries are coming in thick and fast. There are 12 slots left, less whatever is already in the post.

At this stage you should have your team selected, each member matched to the distance and terrain of their legs, and training sessions organised. If not you are behind schedule, so you better get cracking.

As team leader you will be aware of one of the rules which states that each runner must be familiar with their leg of the relay, the best way to do this is to do a training run on the appropriate route. In the past this rule has been being flaunted. There is no desire to disqualify teams but substitute runners are being organised overnight on the weekend of the event. In many cases they have no idea of the nature of the event or knowledge of the route. This puts their safety at risk and can greatly inconvenience the stage end marshall. In picking a team some thought should be given to subs. if required and runners should be asked to make a commitment to the training and preparation required

The last few years saw the event won and lost on the changeovers. The logistics of getting your runners in place in time should not be underestimated. Don’t leave it to the day to find out how to get to these places, give thought to travel arrangement for incoming and outgoing runner. Last years results, again on site, will give very good guide lines of times for each leg.

If you have not finalised your team yet decide how competitively you wish to take the event. There are 7 ways of entering a team. Teams may have any number from two to eight. As the numbers get larger there are restrictions (see rules on website www.imra.ie) If you decide to go with a smaller team of elite runners it is imperative that you have a team that can complete the course in 9 hours. You may decide to go for a team of eight, our preferred option, since as a fundraiser (to help send a junior squad to the World Trophy), this maximises our take. The event has been structured to offer a leg for almost any reasonable fit runner. The legs vary from 22 km to 10km and the terrain varies from open mountain to country roads and lanes so it is important to match runners with a leg of suitable distance and terrain rather than with the time of day that might suit somebody.

Could I repeat something from last week. Once the race starts (7am) no change can be made to team members OR running order for the team to remain competitive. Teams of course can opt to run non competitively by not having the required numbers of ladies or vets or making changes on the day and run just for the fun of it.
Rosie LenehanApr 29 2010, 11:18pmIs there room for one more team in the WWR?
Joe LalorApr 30 2010, 9:31amThere are about 5 WWR places left (I have not seen this morning post yet).
I expect to have reached the limit by the end of the weekend so pleae don't post any after that, they will unfortunately be returned. I need a signed enrty form and fee for a team to be accepted.
Joe LalorMay 3 2010, 9:50pmWeek 4 Briefing

Unfortunately entry to WWR 2010 is now closed. Please do not sent any more they will be returned
Everyone who has an entry accepted should have had an email confirming this (except those that arrive in the post in the morning). Speaking of entry forms a number have been deficient. They were either unsigned or had no email contact for team leader. As you know I take the issue of the leader signing on behalf of the full team to obey the rules seriously and make most of my later briefings directly to team leaders so these two omissions need to be resolved.

On the day of the race all runners for insurance reasons need to be registered IMRA members. If runners only intend to do the WWR this is a simple matter of signing the 2010 membership form (can be downloaded from the site) at no extra fee. Nearer the race I will be contacting team leaders to remind them which of their runners are not registered.
Joe LalorMay 5 2010, 9:37pmEntries closed on arrival of post on Tuesday morning.
Below are the successful entries
I have abbreviated some of the names to get the formatting right. It will be correct when full file with names is uploaded, hopefully over the weekend.
Team 2 are looking for 2 ladies to make them compliant with the rules for a competitive team

TEAM No NAME Team Captain No.
1 Hollandia 1 Hans Baart 5
2 Hollandia 2 Hans Baart 6
3 Flight Club Pearse Carberry 8
4 Donore Divils Keith Daly 8
5 Donore Phoenix Keith Daly 8
6 UCD 22 Mike Long 8
7 Looking for Jef Oliver 8
8 Dublin & W MRT David Butler 8
9 Bravehearts John Rowe 8
10 Class of '94 Ken Devlin 8
11 Surfing Boards Paul Joyce 8
12 Boards Stupid Paul Joyce 8
13 The Rafters Declan Barrett 8
14 Super Cru N O'Ceallaig 8
15 Crusin' Along Emma Boland 8
16 Blackbird of C O'Ceallaigh 8
17 The Electrics Mick Byrne 8
18 Presidents Men Vivian O'Gorman 8
19 Sportsworld Paul Mitchell 8
20 Animal Magnet Aidan Coffey 8
21 SET alight Hazel Thompson 8
22 The Castle Crew Peter O'Farrell 8
23 The Pain Train Andy Hayes 8
24 3ROC Lindie Naughton 8
25 Action Heroes John Fitzgerald 8
26 Dunboyne Caroline Reid 8
27 Team Slow Derek Charles 8
28 Rathfarnham B John MacEnri 4
29 MCI R Cinncellagh 8
30 Where's Patrick R Monahan 8
31 Black Messiahs Paul Morrissey 6
32 Desperate Cormac Conroy 8

Paul JoyceMay 7 2010, 8:46amA couple of us from Boards are doing a recce of leg 7 this Sunday, cars arranged. Meet Tinahely Square at 9am, or Ironbridge 9:20, from where we'll set off. Should take circa 1:50, all are welcome. I can be contacted at joyceart at gmail dot com.
Lindie NaughtonMay 8 2010, 5:29pmAnyone out there looking to run the 22k leg? We may have a place on the 3ROC team. Contact me at lindie(dot)naughton(at)gmail(dot) com.
Joe LalorMay 10 2010, 10:05pmWWR

Tonights briefing went directly to team leaders, except to Team 15 (Crusin' Along) and Team 25 (TT Action Heroes) who have not supplied an e-address. If you are in either of these teams could you contact me with the address please. If you are a team leader and you have not received an email from me tonight contact me as there is a glitch in the system.
Eddie LenehanMay 14 2010, 12:32pmAny team looking for a vet runner? Have run leg 2 and 5 previously. Reasonably fit - ran 1.28 half marathon May 9th. Eddie
Joe LalorMay 17 2010, 5:48pmWeek 5 briefing WWR

Finally the Teams for 2010 WWR are up on the WWR event page. Check your team out and see if all is well. There are still a few A N Others about.
There are some runners who have no category after their name. This is because there was none on the entry form. If I don't hear from you I will enter M or F and this could effect your team's competitive status.
I was about to remind runners on leg4 that there was a bridge out as you leave the military road and enter Brockagh Wood, but I got a bit of intelligence today that suggests that this is fixed. I will keep you updated on this situation.
Team leaders will be contacting their team members reminding them that they must be registered with IMRA to run. If not sure what is involved contact your team boss who has copy of form and what to do. The earlier this is done the easier all around.
Jean O'NeillMay 18 2010, 12:25pmI am looking for a run- if team 2 still need a female I would be happy to do leg 4. I would consider other legs of course. I would not be too fast- I am W60- but am strong and reliable!
Mick HanneyMay 19 2010, 1:51pmI'm under orders from my team manager so I have to get my recce in :-) I plan to do a Leg 5 recce tomorrow evening. Hope to meet at Glenmalure c. 6pm, to drive back to Glendalough to do the run. The run itself should take c. 80 mins at a moderate to easy pace. Mob: 086 8539554
Ronan HickeyMay 21 2010, 11:14amQuick update on Leg 2 which we recce'd last night. There is a new electric fence cordoning off a section by the river (before the wooden footbridge). The fact that it was electric wasn't apparent until my brave team captain took one for the team. (other team Captains take note, this is the level of sacrifice required for the WWR!) The fact that we had stepped over the first section of the fence without realising it was electric still gives me the shivers. Thank God for running shorts keeping everything "compact and bijoux"!

So rather than trying to stick to the river at that point just run along by the fence keping it on your right and you should be grand.

Beautiful leg though and a fantastic night to run it. Can't wait for the big day!

Ronan
Eddie LenehanMay 21 2010, 6:41pmAny team in need of a vet runner? Recent form ok incl half marathon 88 mins. Have done legs 2 & 5 before. Please contact Eddie, 086 2210472.
Hans BaartMay 21 2010, 8:59pmHello Jean,

I read your message on the blog. Were very glad that you will run leg 4 with us.
If you want more information please send me a mail. hans-leny@planet.nl

Best regards,
Hans Baart
Mick HanneyMay 22 2010, 9:29amContinued best wishes to Joanne Fearon our boards relay team mate who is currently running from Malin Head to Mizen Head for the carers association and with luck could get into the records books for so doing. Fair play. The Wicklow way leg 3 or 4 will be a doddle after that!
Brendan CumminsMay 23 2010, 4:06pmI've missed out on the Wicklow Way because my club was late entering. Does anyone need a vet male , i've done leg 4 last year in 1hr 53minutes. I would love to do
it again
Eoin KeithMay 24 2010, 11:27amJust a note on Mick's post about Joanne Fearon's attempt to run from Malin to Mizen. Despite Joanne's claims to the contrary, there is an existing verified female record for running from Malin to Mizen, and it is held by our own Jane Porter. No doubt you'll all be familiar with Jane, who is a past president of IMRA, and continues to contribute a huge amount to IMRA, including organising the Wexford trail series of races.

There is a statement about Joanne Fearon's record attempt on the ultrarunning Ireland website at http://www.ultrarunningireland.com/live/news/825.html
Lindie NaughtonMay 24 2010, 5:25pmOpening for leg 7 on WW relay team. Contact me at lindie(dot)naughton(at)gmail.com
Cath O'NeillMay 24 2010, 9:20pmHi
Anyone who is interested in running Leg 1 or Leg 2 for our team would be welcome. We are a fit team but won't be expecting any records to be broken. email cath1oneill@hotmail.com
Joe LalorMay 24 2010, 9:32pmWWR Week 6 briefing.

I had reports during the week from Rosemary and Ronan of a live electric fence on leg 2, along the Glencree River. I did not get a chance to visit the site yet and am not clear if it has to be crossed or not. I would be very surprised if there was such a fence that has to be crossed while traversing the WW. Anyone with recent news please post.

I have updated the Team file, it should be upload on site shortly. Please communicate any changes to me as they occur. I have received no notice from anyone missing a category status so those missing one will be assigned M or F shortly. Membership forms have started to trickle in. Every one dealt with now save work on the day of the race. If not registered you don't run.
Ger PowerMay 25 2010, 1:27pmIf any team is looking for a runner for leg 4 I am available I am slow but reliable.
Ger PowerMay 25 2010, 1:28pmIf any team is looking for a runner for leg 4 I am available I am slow but reliable.
Emma BolandMay 25 2010, 3:19pmHi Joe. I am the team leader for team 15 Crusin Along. I note that you don't have my email address. It is emma.walsh@orpenfranks.ie. Many thanks.
Sean BroderickMay 26 2010, 11:38amHi Guys,

I am running leg 7 and I am wondering if you could recommend a good map for this leg? Joe has map recommendations for legs 1-6 but Im not sure what map to look for on leg 7.

Thanks,

Sean
Paul JoyceMay 26 2010, 12:19pmHi Sean,

OSI Discovery series 62 covers legs 7 and 8.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65754395&postcount=59
has most of the leg routes linked to MapMyRun. Thanks to Rene for some of the gpx files.
Sean BroderickMay 26 2010, 2:08pmThanks very much Paul
Niall LarkinMay 28 2010, 3:40pmHi Sean,

Do you plan on doing your recce over the weekend? If so, would you mind if our Leg 7 runner joins you as we are struggling to get him a recce partner. He will bring his car so you can leave one at the start and one at the finish.

Let me know on 087-6749060.
Thanks.
Niall
Sean BroderickMay 28 2010, 4:19pmHi Niall,

I wont be doing it this weekend. I plan on running it on the Monday of the June bank holiday so the route is fresh in my head.

Give your leg 7 person my number and we can arrange.
085 7672571

Sean
Caroline ReidMay 29 2010, 7:37pmAnyone have an update on the bridge on Leg 4 - the bridge is there...lots of red tape and you can see where there was wire blocking the bridge either side but it seems to be removed. Hard to tell if this was offically or unoffically take off. The bridge looks grand?!
Fidelma AyresMay 29 2010, 10:35pmNot sure what the story is Caroline. We recced both legs 3 & 4 today and it looks like the tape and chicken wire have been unofficially been removed / cut- allowing access across the river. One would have to proceed with caution from what we could see.
Fidelma
Joe LalorMay 30 2010, 8:42pmProblem with electric fence on leg2 easily solved, leg 4 issue more complex. Could you keep discussion of this off the public forum. See tomorrow nights briefing
Joe LalorMay 31 2010, 5:03pmWWR Week 7 Briefing

There is an electric fence (not live when I was there yesterday) along a section of the Glencree River on leg2.
The fence is cordoning off a bend in the path used by wild campers who have left broken glass litter, the function of the fence is to stop animals using this small section.
By staying outside the fence (left) you rejoin the river track a short way on. This route is in fact shorter, but on rougher vegetation being trodden down all the time, so will make no difference to time. An average size male can safely step over fence but no real advantage accruing. Although fence is turned off at the moment treat as live if still there on the 12th.

Team leaders have been briefed re issue on lag4, consult with them only on this.

As of the previous few years there will be a mass start in Drumgoff (start of leg 6) at 1.15pm for all runners whose leg 5 team member has not arrived by then. Finish times will be adjusted accordingly for any team involved. This is necessary to speed up arrival time of last leg runners of slower teams at finish and reduced the considerable time race officials will be needed at the later stages of the race.

Could the two members who have added their names as helpers for this event please contact me at jlalor(at)eircom.net.
I am also looking for a few more helpers, could be a chance for injured to get involved on the day.
Gareth LittleJun 1 2010, 10:14amHere are the leg 5 stats if anyone is interested...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35221509
Sean BroderickJun 3 2010, 10:53amHey guys,

I plan on doing a Leg 7 recce on Monday June 7th. Starting at midday from Iron Bridge. Nice leisurely run, stoppping to take notes on the route etc. Let me know if you would like to join me. 085 7672571

Sean
Mick HanneyJun 3 2010, 11:22amSean,
I'll drop you a text. I might be on for this. You'll need to meet in Tinahely, leave a car there and drive one car back to Ironbridge. Else, you'll have a long out and back run.
Regards,
Mick
Joe LalorJun 3 2010, 3:41pmAll the leg handover positions are filled but I am still looking for a few helpers to keep an eye on road (and bridge) crossings for an hour or so as the main field goes by. Again could I ask the two members who have volunteered to contact me as I have no contact details for them jlalor(at)eircom.net
Mick HanneyJun 4 2010, 9:42amLeg 7 recce on Monday morning comfortable pace. Dropping a car in Tinahely at 10am to head back to ironbridge for a c. 10.30 start. If anyone is interested drop me a line. mickhanney at ireland dot com or 086 8539554.
Amidou DembeleJun 4 2010, 1:18pmHi All,
I am looking for a team to fit in for the wickow way relay. If anyone needs a male I would be delighted to join them. I did Leg4 last year so will be more happy with another leg.

Thanks,
Amidou
Jean O'NeillJun 4 2010, 4:28pmDid a recce of Leg 4 yesterday, Thursday. The bridge is there. There is wire at each end with red/white tape on it. The wire needs to be watched out for- it could trip one up.
cormac o ceallaighJun 8 2010, 2:06pmi am involved with 2 teams, we have had 2 runners pulling out with injuries, i am looking for a female runner for leg 4 and a runner for leg 7, -very keen that you have had a recce of it.Please call me on 087 2469280 or cormac At soc.ie
Keith DalyJun 8 2010, 2:11pmHi to all,
due to unforeseen circumstances we now have space on our teams- one on leg six and on leg eight.
Please contact me by email at keithmdaly@yahoo.ie if interested.
Thanks,
Keith
Jacqueline HowardJun 8 2010, 3:09pmWould anyone be able to give me a spin to the start of Leg 7 please?I'm living in the city center but can travel to meet you if necessary.Thanks, Jacqui
Joe LalorJun 8 2010, 6:29pmFinal Briefing. Parking

At this stage of the run-in to WWR I have over the years said a few words about parking
Before I deal with this issue in detail could I make the following point? The success and future of this popular event without exaggerate depends on our parking behaviour, every year we have some complaints. So could team leaders make sure all, particularly new comers, to the event see and take heed of the following

Most of the WW is in remote rural areas. We try to restrict our impact on the local population. We can do this by keeping the number of cars to as few as possible and parking correctly.

There is not a major parking issue in Kilmasogue (although I would not advise leaving a car overnight).

At Curtlestown there is limited parking. Please do not block in an already parked car or park just outside the parking area as there are two bad blind bends, rather find safe parking and walk back.

At Old Bridge there is a new house at the cross, however beyond the cross (left) towards Lough Dan there are two areas for walkers parking with about 5 minutes walk back to the cross.

Glendalough. A reminder that the change over here is now on the Green Road. Please keep the entrance to the interpretative centre clear.

This year the owners of the Glenmalure Lodge Hotel do not want us to park in their customers car park but very generously have offered us a field free of charge to park in. So please ALL traffic connected to WWR please go through cross and park in first field on left.

The parking at Iron Bridge is very tight. No VANS please, I have mentioned this before!!! We must expect the worst (as happened four years ago) a timber truck and trailer needed to get through and could not.

At the Derry River due to persistent bad parking we lost access (and local good will) to the bridge area and leg 7 had to be extended. As of the last two years parking is in Crossbridge only. Absolutely no parking at Derry River bridge (even for spectating) and no cars up narrow laneway that runners take to handover. If you don’t understand these instructions please find out. Leg 7 is across private land and permission to use this can be withdrawn at any time and is dependent on these agreed parking arrangements being followed.

The weather can be very unpredictable so be prepared for heat or storms. Follow instructions of marshal at bridge on leg 4, this could change on the day from what has been communicated to team leaders. Best of luck have a great time.

cormac o ceallaighJun 9 2010, 7:21am still looking for female runner for leg 3 ( and not leg 4 as per my earlier e mail) .
087-two469280 or cormacATsoc.ie ,
cormac o ceallaighJun 9 2010, 10:30am leg 7 is back and available -any taker? 087 2469280
Caroline ReidJun 9 2010, 11:31amThe injury bug has struck our team too, so after some chopping and changing it looks like we've a space in leg 1. Relaxed easy going team just doing it for fun :) Anyone interested can contact me on reid_carrie@yahoo.ie

Also if any of teams who've had late changes need a team member to recce leg 4 or 6, we're carpooling from Lynams in Laragh tonight at 7pm for leg 4 and will have a recce of leg 6 tomorrow evening. Email me if you want to join us :)
Derek CharlesJun 10 2010, 3:53pmLift required. Is any one travelling back to Kilmashogue after leg 1 has been completed. Please call 086 8040809. Thank you.
Joe LalorJun 10 2010, 4:45pmWWR

Winning team expected to finish at around 2 pm. There may be still teams finishing at 6pm. This I feel is too late to ask people to wait for the prize giving. So as a compromise prizes will be at 4.15 allowing a reasonable number to arrive but not expecting winners to wait too long.

Due to illness I am suddenly without a marshall for finish of leg 7. This leg finish needs to be manned from abour 1pm to 6 pm so would be best served by two or three people sharing the load over this time span. If interested in spending some time as handover marshall in Cross (near Tinahely) please contact me
jlalor(at)eircom.net
David Maher Jun 10 2010, 5:55pmHi, I'm available for leg 7 to any team who needs a male runner for saturday. ( I ran it last year, but my team were too late for registration this year) You can contact me on 086 8750637.
David
Sam ScrivenJun 11 2010, 4:21pmHi.

Wondering if any Leg 4 runners tomorrow are travelling from Dublin city, and can offer a spin. I'm expecting to start at around 10.15 but of course happy to wait around if anybody can offer lift before that time.

sam (dot) scriven (at) gmail (dot) com / o87 213six574

Good luck all!
David BradshawJun 12 2010, 3:25pmhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157624257922598/

Pictures from leg 1-4
Mick HanneyJun 12 2010, 7:18pmMore here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157624134784965/
Lindie NaughtonJun 12 2010, 9:44pm.. and a few more pics here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindie/sets/72157624260138800/
Paul MorrisseyJun 12 2010, 10:38pmSore and sunburnt, but fun day kiddos!
Mick HanneyJun 13 2010, 9:53amThanks Joe and team for magnificent organisation yesterday and for just making it all possible.
Gary CondonJun 13 2010, 10:05am+1. Many thanks to all the volunteers who manned the switchover points in that beating sun. A superb race even if it is a bit of a logistical challenge! A fab day out.
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 10:36amResults will be published in access file form later but provisional results here in piecemeal form for the moment

Leg1 RUNNER Time Taken
Ryan Montgomery M 57:59
Niall Somers M 58:22
Jonathan Daly M 61:30
Raphael Salazar M 61:52
Daniel Morrogh M 62:49
Greg Byrne M 62:56
Gary Condon M 63:23
Dave Fitzpatrick M 63:30
John Ahern M 65:55
Lucy D'Arcy F40 66:19
Pat Ryan M 70:18
Darragh Page M 71:10
Amidou Dembele M 72:06
Charles Hogan M 72:13
Pieter van de Wiel M50 72:50
Paul Smith M40 72:55
Philip Brennan M40 78:24
David Williams M 78:28
Leanne Cooke F 78:52
Brendan Lawlor M40 79:25
Derek Charles M40 80:04
Ruud van Breukelen M40 82:09
Denis Hogan M40 82:35
Eoin Dunne M40 82:59
Martina Colvielle F 84:54
Fergus Hyland M 86:34
Fearghal O'Hanlon M 86:50
David Hawcroft M60 87:04
Paul Mahon M40 91:13
Liam Keogh M40 91:59
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 10:54amLeg 2 Results provisional

Leg 2 Runner Time
Ger Butler M 64:34
Peter O'Farrell M 67:06
Joe Cawley M 73:48
Zoran Skrbra M 74:37
Joseph Mooney M 75:03
Paul O'Connell M 75:53
Turlough Conway M 76:57
Dermot Murphy M 79:00
Hugh Kinsella M40 79:03
Padraic McGreal M 80:09
Herman Akkerman M50 80:44
Des Noonan MV 82:06
Jenny McCauley F 82:17
Caroline Reid F 82:36
John Glesson M 85:20
Shane Enright M 86:37
Valerie Glavin F 91:40
Gerbrand Beunder M40 93:19
Dave O'Connell M 93:26
Emma Boland F 93:40
Denis Deasy MV 94:00
Tommy Galvin M 95:08
Declan Cunningham M 97:17
Brian Cully M50 97:19
Kyran O'Neil M 98:20
Kevin Magee M 99:33
David Cooke M 101:08
Deirdre Ni Chearbhaill F 106:26
Karl Creevy M 106:53
Fiachra Breslin M 115:42
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 11:13amLeg 3 provisional

Leg 3 Runner Time
Fiona Reid F 30:09
Danny Byrne M 31:48
Sean Hassett M40 32:33
Donna Mahon F 32:42
Vanessa Sallier F 32:42
Ciara Foster F 33:18
Emma Sokell F 33:30
Fidelma Ayres FV 34:21
Brendan O'Connor M40 36:23
Mary O'Connell F40 37:22
Lavana Chamney F 37:38
Louisa Fahy F 37:44
Catherine Byrne F 38:08
Aoife McMahon F 38:15
Misha Paturyan M 38:29
Fearghal Bracken M 38:55
Ken Larkin M 39:19
Louise Butler F 39:47
Medbh Peavoy F 41:31
Assumpta O'Connell F 41:42
Lorcan O'Connor M 42:49
Wendy Merrigan F 43:23
Emma Wilkinson F50 43:29
Niamh O'Ceallaigh F 44:27
Mila Tristan-Jover F40 45:15
Martina O'Kearney F 45:49
Ger Power F60 47:47
Rachel Cinnsealach F 52:14
Gemma Murphy F 56:03
Seamus Kilcullen MV 61:04

Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 11:31amPlease not Team 22 Leg 3 should have read Aisling Coppinger

Any queries to these provisional result not on forum rather to jlalor(at)eircom.net

Leg 4 provisional results. There are no seconds available for this leg. Therefore for leg 4 and leg 5 result will be accurate to minute, however final team result will be to second.

Leg 4 Runner Time
Mel Hiliard M40 40:58:00
Donna Mahon F 44:50:00
Suzanne Kenny F 47:07:00
Robin Brady M40 48:50:00
Catherine King F 49:28:00
Terry Lawless M40 49:32:00
Neil Stone M 49:54:00
Sam Scriven M 51:45:00
Grainne Connor F 51:57:00
Pat Reid M50 53:23:00
Rosemary Monahan F 53:55:00
Una May F40 54:05:00
Kieran Foley M40 54:30:00
Deirdre Fitzsimons F40 56:02:00
Ann Tobin F40 56:49:00
Sheena Phelan F 57:56:00
Mark D'Alton MV 58:13:00
Niamh Purcell F 58:26:00
Jean Bader F 58:27:00
Fiona Sheerin F 61:46:00
Eithne Manning F 63:14:00
Ken Devlin M 64:17:00
Jean O'Neill F60 64:52:00
Treasa Earls F40 65:21:00
Lynn Guiney F40 65:28:00
Mary O'Colmain F50 66:03:00
Jim Mooij M 67:22:00
Brendan Doherty MV 71:54:00
Elaine Lawlor F40 71:54:00
Mags Dwyer F 112:48:00
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 11:49amLeg 5 provisional result

Leg 5 Runner Time
Aaron O'Donohue M 56:24:00
Tim Richards M 59:33:00
Mick Hanney M40 59:42:00
Beth McCluskey F 62:05:00
Liam McFadden M 63:15:00
Eamonn Hodge M 65:06:00
Alfonso Ruiz De Azva M 65:31:00
David Butler M 68:11:00
Aoife Joyce F 70:21:00
Richard Finnegan M 72:12:00
Tom Bryant M 74:19:00
Gavan Doherty G 74:21:00
John Rowe M40 74:50:00
Pieter van de Wiel M50 75:05:00
Eileen Walsh F40 75:09:00
Marcus Geoghegan M40 75:55:00
Jim Fitzharris M50 76:10:00
Melanie Earwaker F 76:11:00
Pol O'Murchu M 81:59:00
Martin Price M50 82:20:00
Matthew Dawson M40 82:28:00
Geerard Baart M50 83:16:00
Paul Gorey M40 84:14:00
Mary McDermott F40 85:15:00
Kate Kelly F 85:52:00
Ian Larkin M 86:35:00
Kieran Crowley M40 91:30:00
Peter Herbert M50 95:07:00
Eamonn Forbes M 109:43:00
Terence Byren M DNF

Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 12:53pmSix Team missed the cut off of 13:15, Therefore their leg 6 runners started at 13:15:00. Adjustments have been made to their team times.

Leg 6 Runner TIME
Ben Mooney M40 58:51:00
Colm Kennedy M 59:45:00
Hugh McLindon M 60:30:00
Colm Moran M 63:00:00
Jeff Fitzsimons M 63:45:00
Paul Joyce M40 63:58:00
Kian Jennings M 64:39:00
Gerbrand Beunder M40 67:12:00
Colin Moore M40 67:57:00
Gareth Little M 69:08:00
Bob Lawlor M40 69:29:00
John Dowling M 71:23:00
Hazel Thompson F 71:33:00
Maureen Lowther F40 71:46:00
John Kennedy M 74:58:00
Eddie Lenehan M40 75:31:00
Aoife Quigley F 76:17:00
Ciaran McNally M 77:15:00
Maria O'Rourke F40 79:19:00
Brian Dowling M50 79:54:00
Eddie Reid M50 80:50:00
Gerry Kinsella M40 82:18:00
Derek Livingstone M 82:46:00
Bert Bouma M50 84:52:00
Martin Searson M 87:40:00
Dermot Connellan M 90:26:00
Conor Chakravarty M 91:32:00
James Flanagan M40 93:19:00
Padraig MacCroistal M 100:19:00
Jacqui Howard F 115:30:00 Retired injuried
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 1:39pmprovisional results for leg 7

Leg 7 Runner Time
Fred Kiernan M 85:48:00
Jason Reid M 87:17:00
Cormac Conroy M 89:17:00
Gerry Lalor M40 95:22:00
David Walshe-Kemmis M 95:35:00
Pat Quill M40 98:09:00
Martin Francis M50 101:11:00
John Paul Brennan M 101:40:00
Anko Top M40 101:43:00
Alan Lawlor M 102:58:00
Christian Foley Fisher M 105:50:00
Sean Broderick M 107:40:00
David Saville M 114:10:00
Keith Daly M 114:20:00
Declan Swords M 114:24:00
Dick Appel M50 119:19:00
David Maher M 120:25:00
Brian McArdle M 121:06:00
Lornie Dwyer F 123:56:00
Mick O'Dowling M 124:26:00
Mary Collins F50 124:57:00
Phil Kilgannon M 127:00:00
Dave Brady M50 131:27:00
Pearse Carberry M 131:37:00
Ciaran Aylward M 133:27:00
Aidan Coffey 133:30:00
Cormac O'Ceallaigh M 143:08:00
Matrin Horgan M40 145:41:00
Joe O'Connor M 146:30:00
Paul Morrissey M 146:45:00
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 2:20pmProvisional leg 8 results
Two team had times adjusted for mini mass start

Leg 8 Runner Time
Keith Daly M xx:xx:xx time to be confirmed
JohnMacEnri M40 40:09:00
Ben Mangan M 41:52:00
Herman Akkerman M50 41:58:00
Dominic Horan M40 42:29:00
Cormac O'Shea M 42:37:00
Mike Long M40 42:56:00
Tim Grummel M 43:01:00
Jim Mooij M 43:20:00
Shay Dunne M50 43:50:00
Niall Larkin M 45:12:00
Paul Fox M 46:39:00
Brian Driver M 47:11:00
Sarah Moores F 47:16:00
Brendan Craig M40 47:17:00
Wayne Jenkins M 48:45:00
Ciaran Tobin M50 49:34:00
Alan O'Beirne M 50:00:00
Helen Dixon F 50:02:00
D Nolan M40 50:44:00
Moira Creedan F40 53:38:00
Geraldine O'Shea F 54:06:00
John Fitzgerald M50 54:19:00
Jef OliverM40 54:45:00
Neil Browne M40 54:59:00
James McCool M 58:29:00
Andy Downes M 63:38:00
Emma McAuley F 64:16:00
Helena Connor F 69:09:00
Bobby Buckley MV 71:28:00
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 2:37pmProvisional Team Result

TEAM No NAME Total Time
11 Surfing Boards 07:58:44
22 The Castle Crew 08:07:09
21 Setanta SET alight 08:29:52
30 Where's Patrick 08:32:37
18 All the Presidents Men 08:34:16
23 The Wicklow Pain Train 08:43:12
12 Boards Stupid 08:43:17
6 UCD 22 08:44:56
4 Donore Divils 08:49:01
32 Desperate Hillrunners 08:49:39
19 Sportsworld 08:50:02
5 Donore Phoenix Flyers 09:05:38
17 The Electrics 09:12:25
24 3ROC 'N' Rollers 09:16:16
1 Hollandia 1 09:24:20
8 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 09:41:45
9 Bravehearts 09:43:34
2 Hollandia 2 10:02:25
14 Super Cru 10:12:40
26 Dunboyne High Rollers 10:14:35

15 Crusin' Along 10:24:36
10 Class of '94 10:38:54
31 Screaming Black Messiahs 10:41:10
27 Team Slow 11:01:28
7 Looking for re-lease 11:02:51
29 Social Climbers / MCI 11:03:38
25 TT Action Heroes 11:16:39
20 Animal Magnetism 11:18:58
3 Flight Club 11:32:23
16 Blackbird of Avondale DNF
Pearse CarberryJun 13 2010, 2:38pmThanks Joe, and thanks for all the preparation and organisation that went into a great race!
Joe LalorJun 13 2010, 3:14pmMany thanks to all the marshalls for their great efforts yesterday, particularly to those who manned lonely spots for hours away from the crowds, Colin, Arkadiusz who saw you safely across that bridge and Mike.

Lost and found: Chest strap (heart monitor) T-shirt (Barringtons race) and childs feeding mug.
Niall LarkinJun 13 2010, 4:13pmMany thanks to Joe and all the volunteers who helped out making yesterday another great day. And the weather gods were kind to us this year too! Looking forward to the 2011 renewal already!!
Paul JoyceJun 13 2010, 4:36pmMany thanks to Joe, Nora, and all who volunteered to make this race such a success. Best race of the year! Commiserations must go to Rathfarnham, who once again snatched defeat, from the jaws of victory. I'd like to say a warm "better luck next year" to them, for being so gracious in applauding our winning team- they epitomized the spirit of what this day is all about.
Well done to all who ran yesterday, especially to my fellow Boards members. Competition for places on next years teams will be fierce, now that we have a title to defend!
Ciaran TobinJun 13 2010, 10:24pmI've added some photos from 2010WWR here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runmeath/sets/72157624143314529/
Lynn GuineyJun 13 2010, 10:30pmChild's feeding mug is mine. Where can we pick it up? Please email me on lynn.guiney@rbs.com. Thanks
Paul JoyceJun 14 2010, 12:33pmI can be excused for milking my moment in the sun, here's a copy of our race report from Boards. We'll do up a leg-by-leg report from each runner, and link it here, but the the moment here's an account from a very, very, happy team captain :)

Boards A- 1st : Boards B- 7th
Well done to all who ran in this best race of the year. Results show that the race begins months before the start, with teams being picked, runners assigned to legs, and recces organized.

Before the race, I had hoped for a top 10 finish for our A team- although I secretly anticipated a finish of 5,6,7 or 8. Our B team looked stronger than their moniker suggested, particularly after some strong results in recent imra race, so I figured they might be around the same place as our Boards team from last year- 14th place.

After waking up and making some coffee,I was greeted to the great news that Gary Condon had a great run, finishing leg 1 in 7th place. More surprising was John Ahern's result from the B team- two minutes behind, in 9th. Truly those demons from last years mishap had been slayed, and how! Another cup of coffee and some porridge, and I nearly choked at the result that came in- Joe Cawley had made up 5 places over leg 2, Boards A were now in 2nd! I'll admit to mixed feelings around this time- it's easy to run in 10th team, slap on back, well done, no-one really notices: but when you are in a podium place, expectations arise.

Our scheduled leg 3 runner, Jo Fearon, had severe blisters on her feet following her recent epic run from Malin to Mizen, so sadly had to drop out of our team at the last minute. Our new replacement (from Rathfarnham!) Vanessa Sallier had a great run to hold second, as did Suzanne Kenny, whose time on leg 4 show's she's a force to be reckoned with! (Can't be too long until some of the vultures from "proper" clubs take notice of her talents- joking ;)!). Mick Hanney took off on leg 5, and I was sat waiting at the end, watching the madcap antics of marshal Graham Porter, aided and abetted by Jane (and goaded by Peter!). Its strange to stand and chat with other runners before a leg starts, one eye on the road looking for your runner, the other on sizing up the competition.

Anyway, the Rathfarnham runner came in, and had a 10 minute gap on Mick, who ran a brilliant leg under the hour. I slapped hands, and set off. The idea was to pace this run, being a long uphill, a downhill, another uphill, and a couple of killer downhills to finish. I had run it in 62 minutes last year, while fitter, and chasing runners, but I would have been happy with 65 this year. As it happens, I paced too softly, with no-one to chase or be chased by, and finished in 63:xx, but with too much energy. Slapped hands with David Walsh-Kemmis, a little disappointed with the energy I still had, but never mind, I hadn't been caught, and I had held second, right?

Except I realised I was talking to Jason, who was meant to be running leg 7 for Rathfarnham. Took a couple of minutes before the penny dropped, and the Rath guys were asking me had I seen a runner wearing white on the course? The unfortunate runner had gone astray, and ended up running a 12k leg in 22k. This misfortune was our good fortune: Boards were now in 1st place.

I drove back to Tinahely, stopping along the road to run a bit with David, who was flying on this road section. The message at this stage was very much, hold it together, don't f*** it up, and if there was a sharp turn on leg 7 that might be missed, there was an overbearing team captain there, to make sure the right route was followed. On to Tinahely, and wait for David, who came in and set off Dominic Horan, still in first. Eleven minutes later, Jason came in for Rathfarnham, having ran a great leg and clawed back vital time. Still, 11 minutes over 10k would be hard to find, so we drove to the finish, with cautious confidence. Met Dom along the way, and ran with him- he was in real pain, his recent hip injury causing major discomfort. At this point, it was 5k to go, and I ran beside him, talking of glory and history, if only he'd get up over this last uphill bend (of course there was another uphill bend around the corner...). Anyway, after a while we decided it was cruel to be torturing the guy like this, and let him run his own race. Down to the finish, and wait, wait... Soon he came round the corner, and with a final sprint, took the tape, in under 8 hours, for a Boards victory! It wasn't long after that the Boards B team came in, 7th place, another magnificent achievement!

This is the first time I have been part of a winning team since under sevens hide-and-go-seek, so I'll be milking it for a while. Far, far, beyond what I had imagined- its a dream come true. Well done to each and every Boards member who gave their all today, for the two teams. Commiserations also to Rathfarnham, who had some of the fastest legs of the day, only to be undone by a wrong turn. Talking to Jase, Donna, Peter, and the others after, they were gracious in applauding Boards winners, if a little downbeat about another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. There's always next year to avenge, guys. Although this time Boards will be defending champions, and victory tastes very, very sweet!

Training for places on the A team starts tomorrow! Well done to Joe, Nora, and all their helpers on a truly great day.
Robert BuckleyJun 14 2010, 6:37pmThank you Joe for a wonderful day and for your support as I trundled down the last stretch into Shillelagh. Bobby Buckley.
Geraldine O'SheaJun 15 2010, 11:25amThanks Joe, Nora and all the other volunteers for a fantastic race. I hope the Dutch teams enjoyed the experience - how about a Race Report ?!
Pieter van de WielJun 15 2010, 4:22pmAlso from the Dutch teams our thanks to Joe, his staff and all volunteers. You have given us a wonderful experience! As soon as possible we will add a race report to this blog. Hope to see you all at one of the next WWR’s.
Joe LalorJun 15 2010, 6:14pmRace Report

Runners assembled in Kilmasogue car park at 6.30 for the ninth running of the WWR. The main interest before the start was “had the Dutch” arrived. Then two brand new 10D cars pulled in, it had to be them. They started to unload a bicycle, had something been lost in translation. No, one of their supports was going to visit all eight of the handover sites travelling by the longer road route. He arrived in Shillelagh as fresh as he started out before many of the runners.

Unlike most years there were no problems with leg1 but runners needed to be careful of the new Dublin Way route which has similar markings to the WW. As a result of a trouble free leg1 I managed to get to each of the handover spots before the runners came through. That is, in the early stages, not before the Rathfarnham runners who were steaming ahead, but more about them later. On leg 2 nobody got electrocuted but something stung Joe Cawley into action (Boards ac) who brought them from 7th to 2nd. Leg 3 seemed to have been pretty uneventful. I have heard nothing, anyone care to differ?

On leg 4, with thanks to Colin and Arkadiusz, you all got safely across the bridge without it collapsing… or did you? Both marshalls independently counted 29 runners but 30 arrived in Glendalough??? The climb on leg 5 makes this one of the more difficult legs but it is the switchback on the track that does the damage with some runners heading for Derrybawn or the Rathdrum road.

Was it arriving in Drumgof to the mad hatter’s tea party that put the jinks on leg 6 runners? Whatever it was it caused Rathfarnham to turn a 20 minute lead into an 18 minute deficit. Unfortunate for Rathfarnham but it rejuvenated an event that looked all sown up from early on. Leg 7 is very long, it is much longer if you add on the new “Mangans Loop”. This leg proved a challenge to a few “old hands”. Rathfarnham, courtesy of a great run by Jason Reid, managed to claw their way back to second place at this stage (see Paul Joyces’s report above for a great insight into the closing stages). Vivian O’Gorman’s Presidents Men were in third place at this stage and hoping finally to be in the medals, but it was not to be principally due to a fantastic final run by Ben Mangan to secure third placed for Setanta, who were so surprised that half of the team missed the prize giving.
Anko TopJun 15 2010, 9:33pmOf course we arrived; we wouldn't miss it for the world. And we enjoyed ourselves. The mountains were beautiful, the weather couldn't be better and for people from a rather flat country (in our part of Holland the nearest thing to a mountain is a dune) both our teams did a good job.
Most of all however we enjoyed the Irish people we met; we had two Irish ladies (Emma and Jean) in our team and at every leg there were people asking questions, telling stories and giving last minute advice and that made it an event to remember.
Thank You.
Mick HanneyJun 15 2010, 9:39pm32 teams were lined up to do the 2010 Wicklow way relay. The event was booked up well in advance and it continues to be a very popular imra event for obvious reasons. The success of the event is the result of the dedication of Joe Lalor year on year. This year was no different and Joe was assisted by various helpers over the course of the day which contributed to a great day for all those taking part.

In recent years the relay has resulted in great races between the stronger clubs, usually Clonliffe, Rathfarnham and Donore. However, the relay has a romance about it which attracts all and sundry and there have been other teams over the years that have interrupted the podium places. The importance of logistics and recces each year is restated. The value of same was confirmed in the days proceedings when straying from the waymarked trail was to have telling consequences on the results, not for the first year.
The vagaries of the imra calendar this year ensured that the relay was going to be a bit more interesting and possibly more predictable that heretofore. The European trial race the day after the relay attracted many elite runners away from their relay teams. No Clonliffe team it would appear, but there was a strong looking Rathfarnham team nevertheless who probably started as clear favourites.

The relay kicks off at Kilmashogue at 7am. The mass start here probably makes it feel more like a regular imra race. Ryan Montgomery was fastest over the leg finishing in under 58 mins. Not bad before most people’s breakfast time. Keith Daly’s sub 54 minute time on this leg from a previous year wasn’t to be threatened this year. Rathfarnham and Donore had runners in 2nd and 3rd. Boards had runners in 7th and 9th – John Ahern putting his route error from last year behind him with a great run Lucy Darcy was first lady home on this leg for Sportsworld in 10th overall.

Onto leg 2 then which started at Curtlestown. Places changed quite a bit on this leg. Fastest leg time (just over 64 mins) was recorded by a flying Ger Butler. A 2nd best time on this leg by Peter O’Farrell would put his Rathfarnham team into an overall lead. A tremendous run by Joe Cawley – running his first ever hill race – would bring Boards A from 7th to 2nd overall. Jenny McCauley was first lady on this leg finishing just ahead of Caroline Reid. The record for leg 2 is the sub 60 min time of Brian McMahon from last year. That time will stand another year, possibly for a great many years!

Leg 3, from Lough Tay to Oldbridge. Team places at the top stayed the same after this leg. Fastest leg time was Fiona Reid’s 30:09, which if confirmed could be a new best time for a lady runner on this leg? Aisling Coppinger and Vanessa Sallier, a last minute addition to the Boards team, ran the same time of 32:42. Ironically Vanessa had switched from Rathfarnham for the day. A twist of fate perhaps.

Leg 4, from Oldbridge to Glendalough. Donna Mahon holds the ladies record on this leg. That record wasn’t challenged on the day but Donna’s time of under 45 mins was still the best ladies time and kept Rathfarnham in the lead. A fine run by Suzanne Kenny – who would run the next day too in the European trial – would result in Boards A remaining in 2nd place overall.

By the time Donna tagged Aaron O’Donoghue in Glendalough at the Leg 5 start to Glenmalure the Rathfarnham team had compiled a serious lead that looked unbeatable. Aaron consolidated that lead with the best leg 5 time of the day, a sub 57 minute time that ranks as one of the best runs of the day. Tim Richards, on the Where’s Patrick team had a cracking run too. Yours truly had a solid run to keep Boards A in 2nd place ahead of Sportsworld. John Brooks record of 53:29 for this leg looks like one of those hard to beat records on the relay. Beth McCluskey was first lady over this leg in a great time of 62 mins which was 4th fastest time overall.

Leg 6 from Glenmalure to Ironbridge was where things were to get interesting. At this stage Rathfarnham had a big lead of somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes. Padraig MacCroistal has some of the best recorded times on the leg over the years so he looked to be a safe pair of hands to maintain and stretch the Rathfarnham lead. However, when Paul Joyce from Boards A arrived in Ironbridge he found himself tagging David Walsh-Kemmis into a lead for Boards as Padraig was a no show at that time! The question was whether the Rathfarnham runner had gone off course or was injured? No one knew. Another team placing was to change as Sportsworld moved into 2nd place. Fastest time on leg 6 was Ben Mooney with a sub 59 min time. Jeff Fitzsimons from Boards B showed up his Boards A compatriot by pipping him on this leg. First lady on this leg was Setanta’s Hazel Thompson. Gerry Healy holds the record on leg 6 of 48:57, a time which looks like it will stand the test of time. With Leg 7 having started we have a team order of Boards A followed by Sportsworld. Jason Reid from Rathfarnham could only sit and wait the finish of his leg 6 compatriot. Padraig did finish, eventually, having took 2 wrong turns on leg 6 with drastic consequences. Credit to him for finishing his leg when others on the day DNFed when their team were waiting. Padraig will have to wait another year to correct his error on the day. The relay can be a cruel event.

Leg 7, Ironbridge to Crossbridge. The word had spread that a change in the team order had happened. No one quite knew the extent of the gap between teams. David Walsh-Kemmis from Boards ran a solid leg to keep Boards in the lead. A long leg at the best of times it must seem longer again on a warm day such as it was. Best time on this leg was set by Fred Kiernan of Donore. Jason Reid ran his socks off to bring Rathfarnham back into 2nd place overall. Cormac Conroy had 3rd fastest leg. Lornie Dwyer was 1st lady of the leg 7 distance. The inimitable John Brooks also holds the record for leg 7 – the old leg 7 before it got slightly extended from the bridge to Crossbridge. That time was just 75 mins!

Onto the final leg, leg 8 from Crossbridge to Shillelagh. Boards leg the way and Dominic Horan set off now knowing the extent of the gap he had on the next runner. Dom had run leg 8 the previous year and over many recce’s so the changes of going wrong were slight. Wrong. An open gate where one is usually closed led to an extra ½ a kilometre being run. It made no difference in the context of the day and Dom crossed the line in Shillelagh to give Boards a win on the day. Keith Daly was fastest on this leg today followed by John McEnri from Rathfarnham who tried as much as he might to chase down the Boards lead. Sarah Moores was quickest lady over leg 8 on the day. The record for this leg belongs to Barry Minnock. That record time of 33:33 still probably wouldn’t have been good enough to help Rathfarnham claw back their overall team.

A day of ups and downs. Boards A consistency and correctness in route finding and recces paid off with a winning time of 7:58:44. 8:25 ahead of a very gracious Rathfarnham team who had more than 20 mins over a fast finishing 3rd placed Setanta team. Sportsworld had fallen away after their runner had gone astray on leg 7 it seems.

The top 10 placings were:
1. Surfing Boards 07:58:44
2. The Castle Crew 08:07:09
3. Setanta SET alight 08:29:52
4. Where's Patrick 08:32:37
5. All the Presidents Men 08:34:16
6. The Wicklow Pain Train 08:43:12
7. Boards Stupid 08:43:17
8. UCD 22 08:44:56
9. Donore Divils 08:49:01
10. Desperate Hillrunners 08:49:39

Thanks to Joe and helpers. Thanks to the Team Hollandia relay teams who gave the event an international air.
Paul MitchellJun 15 2010, 11:53pmI put some WWR Photos on Flickr. imra.ie photo upload is banjo'd if not banjaxed.

Mainly of Sportsworld runners or runners in the vicinity. Nice one of Mike Long finishing Leg 8.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39481536@N06/sets/72157624158875245/
Rene BorgJun 16 2010, 9:31amTo add reports for this event just log into myIMRA and copy and paste the following link into your URL bar: http://www.imra.ie/events/writereport/event/759

This will attach the report to the WWR event.
Eoin KeithJun 16 2010, 10:44amExcel spreadsheets containing the results of each leg of the WW Relay, and of the overall result, are now available and are linked from the organiser's instructions section on the event page.
Paul JoyceJun 16 2010, 2:50pmLeg-by-leg report from the Boards A team here :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66435757#post66435757
Paul MitchellJun 16 2010, 5:20pmSimilar blow by blow from Sportworld. Everyone enjoyed the day immensely.

http://www.sportsworld-terenure.ie/news/wicklow-way-relay-2010-real-story/

Thanks to Joe and Team.
Stephen FarrellJun 16 2010, 10:20pmPaul, could you send a zip of the images you were trying to upload and I'll have a look at what's going wrong with the photo upload?

My email address is on my runner profile when you're logged-in to MyIMRA.

Cheers,
Steve
Pieter van de WielJun 17 2010, 11:36amcorrection results team Hollandia 1:
Leg 1: Pieter van de Wiel, 72’50” must be: 82’09” (same as Ruud van Breukelen), then leg 2, Gerbrand Beunder, 93’19” must be: 84’00”.
Pieter van de WielJun 27 2010, 3:52pmLeg-by-leg report from the members of team Hollandia 1 and 2 here:
http://hollandiarunningteams.blogspot.com/
kellyjg60 kellyjg60Jun 4 2017, 11:43pmHi new website
http://europe.meet.erolove.top/?gain.johana
canadian sites meet singles in my area top single dating sites 10 most popular dating sites russian and ukrainian girls