Irish Mountain
Running Association

WMRA Long-distance Challenge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgJan 2 2010, 11:59amJust a quick note on this route description: The WMRA Long Distance Challenge was awarded to the Pike's Peak Ascent not the full marathon. The official distance of the ascent is 21.46km while the ascent remains the same (despite there apparently being small ups on the way down but I imagine these were never calculated into the total climb for the full marathon).

The ascent is still estimated to take YOUR MARATHON TIME or YOUR MARATHON TIME + 30 minutes (if not acclimatised to altitude) according to a local legend who writes all about the race here: www.skyrunner.com. He's got a split calculator here which seems very useful if you don't want to blow up midway: http://www.skyrunner.com/pace.htm

For those interested in doing this it will be worthwhile checking tickets early as you can get a return to Denver for around 430 euros at the moment. I'm just trying to sort my own arrangements and will be happy to hear of anyone else going over as there'd be good value in pooling rental cars etc. Manitou Springs is a 1.5 hour drive from Denver but is actually much closer the main time being lost having to to through Denver itself. Multimap will tell you its 1:27 and 87 miles so that fits with what my local sources tell me.