Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Ultra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Christian NachtigallJan 25 2011, 11:09pmHey guys,

Could anyone tell when registration for the WW Ultra 2011 starts and which website will that be on?

Thanks
Chris
Mick HanneyJan 26 2011, 8:56am
Registration info will be posted on the imra site. Usually a few weeks in advance of the event. Keep checking into the forum for details.
Christian NachtigallJan 27 2011, 12:24amThanks Mick...
Theo MooneyFeb 5 2011, 5:46pmhi there, would anyone be up for a recce of part of this route on 24th or 25th february? if we leave johnny foxes for an 'out and back' day, and people can go whatever distance they like, not the full thing for me! 087901four060 is my number. possibly a nap in the ol' bedford truck to finish off! :P
Tony KeelyFeb 8 2011, 2:29pmWould love to do a longish run on the course,i am getting ready for a fifty mile ultra in Arizona and would love to do at least 25-30k,Tony
declan mcelroyFeb 19 2011, 12:43pmI have never done this race before.Where is the race start/registration?Driving from North Ireland could I please have directions to the start of the race from Dublin/M50,thanks.
Donal TroddynFeb 19 2011, 2:31pmThe start is at Johnnie Foxes' Pub - http://tiny.cc/q5vzz
tony keelyFeb 22 2011, 12:32pmHi there,anyone interested in doing part of the course next weekend,saturday or sunday,my number is 0862528247,would like to do a few hours two-three if possible,very easy though so no speed allowed :)
raymond buchanFeb 22 2011, 1:52pmTony

We are planning a run on the course this Sunday. Will send you a text
Paul NesbittFeb 23 2011, 9:47amJust checking that I can enter this race on arrival or online? I'm in the north so runs in the mournes will have to do me til then...looks like a cracker!

P.
richard nunanFeb 23 2011, 11:06amRegister on Arrival on the day.

Denise MathersFeb 23 2011, 12:39pmHi Declan, Dale and myself are heading down to this race too. Pretty easy to find but if you are at some of the races coming up soon - Glenariff or Gullion we can give you good directions then.
declan mcelroyFeb 25 2011, 11:58amThanks Denise!I plan on going to Glenariffe race so I hope to see you and/or Dale up there.
Gary CondonFeb 28 2011, 1:18pmHi Declan, the best way to get to Johnny Foxes from the M50 is to get off at the Carickmines/Cabinteely exit and head up by Palmer's pub. Google maps route here: http://tinyurl.com/5wurvf8
Tomas Mac CormaicFeb 28 2011, 6:07pmI'm planning to run the Wicklow Ultra, but because of an injury, I had to scale back a little on my training, and haven't been able to get in a mountain run, as of yet.
In terms of difficulty, how much harder is it to run a mountain marathon compared to a ordinary marathon? I have done several normal marathons, and would be marathon fit at the moment, and am not really worried about times.
I've looked at the map of the course, and also am wondering, are the climbs very steep, or are they like gradual climbing hills.
Thank you.
Eamonn HodgeFeb 28 2011, 6:42pmNot a complete answer but the Ultra took me 5h17 last year and I've done a marathon in 3h30.
Tomas Mac CormaicFeb 28 2011, 8:16pmThanks Eamonn. Thats the time I had in my own mind of trying to complete it (having run a 3.35 marathon.
Gary CondonMar 1 2011, 12:58pmAlso worth remembering that it's not a marathon distance. It's 9km longer. So as well as hill running, you'd certainly benefit from longer training runs than a typical marathon program.

Haven't done the ultra before, but looking forward to lining up at 9:30am on the 26th.
Lee HulbertMar 2 2011, 6:54pmTony,
Came across your post in researching future travel/run destinations. I am looking at running the Arizona Zane Gray 50 mile next year. I have lived in Arizona (Phoenix area) for 20 years. As a fellow mountain/trail runner I welcome you to our state and offer you any assitance that I can give.
Brian FarrellMar 3 2011, 8:49pmHi all, I haven't run this course before and I'm wondering if I should be worried about getting lost(!) seeing as only the major junctions are marked? For any of you guys that have run it before or are familiar with it, should I have a concern and if so, any advice to staying on course! Really appreciate any advice.
paul tierneyMar 4 2011, 4:44pmhi brian. the course follows the ww throughout and if you follow the little yellow men on the poles you should have no problem. saying that i did take a wroung turn last year.

Cant wait for this race now. the good spring weather is hopefully here to stay
Paul DalyMar 4 2011, 6:56pmHi All
Just wondering how much of this run is on tarred rd (trail shoe / road shoe)?
paul tierneyMar 5 2011, 12:17pmhi paul, you will be grand in a road shoe. There's lots of fire trail. Some mucky patches but not enough to justify trail shoes if you prefer roadies.
kevin o'riordanMar 5 2011, 3:47pmwould definitely recommend the road shoes if that's what you're used to running in.the vast majority of the route is on some kind of road or good trail and you'd need the cushioning
Tony KeelyMar 5 2011, 4:49pmHi Lee,thanks, i am really looking forward to the race,i lived and worked in Phoenix for a year whulst travelling back in the nineties.I have a sister living in Phoenix. My email address is puredub@gmail.com if you would like to keep in touch,thanks Tony
Eamonn HodgeMar 5 2011, 7:25pmI'd actually recommend road shoes as opposed to trail shoes as long as it's not a complete muck fest. I wore Nike Air Zoom Vomero 3s last year. Thin soled trail shoes would have been tough on the feet.
Paul DalyMar 5 2011, 9:40pmThanks for advise lads, looking foward to it.
danny byrneMar 6 2011, 8:09pmhello all last long run done yesterday looking forward to the race now , i was just wondering about the water situation is it a carry your own or will there be a water table anywhere ??
Tamas FarkasMar 6 2011, 8:36pmA comment to the shoes. For example I have a pair of generously sized Inov Roclite 315 that have nice cushioning anyway and to make them even more comfortable I just use them with thicker footbeds I took from my Brooks roadies. It really makes a difference. I wouldn't feel comfortable descending in road shoes.
From the previous comments it sounds like the course is quite runnable. Looking forward to it!
declan mcelroyMar 7 2011, 11:50amThanks for info Gary
Raymond BuchanMar 11 2011, 3:31pmThis race is now up on the events page of MarathonTalk http://www.facebook.com/#!/marathontalk?sk=events

If you are new to MarathonTalk it is an excellent web site and podcast community for running.
Paul JoyceMar 12 2011, 10:22pm
Is there a mandatory kit to be carried during the Ultra? Also, will there be water stations at the turnaround and/or Crone?

richard nunanMar 18 2011, 9:33pmHi Paul,

We have the drops sorted for the Ultra :

Crone wood - Mary o O'Colmain will be present again this year (11k mark approx from Johnny foxes 40k on way back)

The turning Point (Trail start 25km)

Curtlestown - Geraldine O'Shea will be volunteering there on the way back (8km to go)

I will be at the registration on the morning and will colect any food/Drinks you need brought to the water/Food stations.

Eoin and I will be at the Turn around(Trail Start) point until the cutoff times.

Tadhg CrowleyMar 20 2011, 3:34pm1. As a 4 hour normal marathon runner with some experience of trail & hill running, is 6 hours reasonable for me to expect for this course?

2. Is an 8.30am early start possible, or would 9am be preferred?

3. How does drinks & food work? Do we carry it with us?

Thanks, Tadhg
raymond buchanMar 20 2011, 7:25pmTadgh

I am a 3.30 to 3.45 marathon runner and having run the route (one way) my goal is 6hrs to 6hrs.30mins. the route is tough I think with the hills.
raymond buchanMar 20 2011, 7:29pmIn terms of drop bags are we saying if we turn up with a bag for the half way station it will be driven down to there for us? I guess we just put our name on the bag?
Richard NunanMar 20 2011, 7:41pmHi Tadgh

As per the race instructions - you need to email the race director in relation to the early start time
dermot.murphy at imra dot ie
People started at both 8:30 and 9:00am last year.

In relation to food/drinks.

This will be collected in whatever format you choose at registration(as per previous post) and transported to the Midway point and/or Crone wood. Bottles, bum bags etc...make sure its clearly named.
Christian NachtigallMar 20 2011, 10:23pmHey all...

Can´t find any registration info on the website. I was told it would be available a few weeks in advance of the event.

How is the registration working?

Thanks
Chris
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2011, 9:11am A few important points for Saturday:

1) Finish - due to the new lights at the crossroads, we will have to have a new finishing position before the lights. The safest place for this is outside the the GAA club where there is a wide hard shoulder on both sides of the road about 500 meters or so before the lights.

2) Registration - For the Ultra, registration will open at 8:30, although I will be there before then as I have had a few enquiries about an early start. Anyone who feels they may not make the cut off points (please see events page for these) should avail of an early start. Registration for the Trail will open after the Ultra is under way, at around 9:45am. Do not try to register before then, as you will be signed up for the Ultra race.

3)Registration will close for the Trail at 11:15 am SHARP! There will be NO registration for the Trail at the starting point at Ballinastoe. Please try to use the buses in order to get to the start - many thanks to Mick Hanney for organising the buses this year and to everyone who has signed up so far.

4) Parking at Johnnie Foxes - parking is in the overflow car park ONLY - please do not park in the car park beside the pub. This has been requested by Johnnie Foxes in order to have space available for their regular customers. It looks like there will be large numbers for the race, so can people try to car pool out to JF's were possible.

5) Please take not of the cut off times - for your own safety, please stop at the these if you do not make them and get a lift back to JF's.
Mick HanneyMar 21 2011, 9:43amChristian - Registration is on the morning. Just arrive at the time indicated by Dermot and fill out a form. Richard has posted details of where there are refreshment stops along the way or where you can arrange for a bag to be placed for you with your own refreshments. If you have further questions that aren't answered in the forum posted or event details please post them here.
paul tierneyMar 21 2011, 11:56amDermot, does the new finish line increase or decrease the distance slightly. i cant think where the GAA pitch is and cant remember from last year. just curious, thanks
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2011, 12:09pmPaul, it decreases the distance, the GAA pitches are before the crossroads.
Gary CondonMar 21 2011, 1:41pmGreat news on the drops Richard. Can we leave stuff for drop-off at Mary O'Colmain's station at Crone Wood, or is this purely a water-station?
Richard NunanMar 21 2011, 1:48pmHi Gary,

I will take water/food for both Crone woods and Ballinastoe Turn around point.
I will drop out to Crone wood on my way out to the turn around.

Best advise I can give is to label your stuff with masking tape and put your name on it. As opposed to a picnic basket with Turkish delights, strawberries and marshmallows , thanks Eamonn they were lovely :-)

Your food will be safer this year as Eoin keith is still on crutches :-)
Cormac MacDonnellMar 21 2011, 8:30pmHay Richard, thats super about the goodie drop bags being dropped off for runners..definately worth a few drinks for you guys after! See ya´s down there....
Dermot MurphyMar 22 2011, 9:18amI am looking for a few extra volunteers to help out on the Saturday morning - I need a couple of people for registration and also for car parking. You will be able to run with either job as well.
For the Ultra, I would only really need people for about a half hour or so, so the start is at 9:30am.
Bronagh CheethamMar 22 2011, 2:06pmDermot, I can help out with registration. Non runner
Brian SeeryMar 22 2011, 3:36pmHi, I'm looking for a lift down and probably back for the race. I'm based in Clonskeagh beside UCD. I could be persuaded to help out before the start of the race if needed in exchange for a lift! My number is oh eight 76727915.

Brian.
Tomas Mac CormaicMar 22 2011, 10:16pmJust looking for clarification of the issue of water. Is there water available at the few stops that you have mentioned, or do we bring our own water and leave it at the points to collect during race. Also does anyone have a rough idea of how much fluid a person will take in during the Ultra, compared to a normal marathon?
Dermot MurphyMar 23 2011, 8:23amTom - there will be water available at the stops on the way back. There will not be water available at Curtlestown on the way out for the Ultra, and any early starts may miss the water stop at Crone Wood (it should be in place by the time the main field goes by). So it would be a good idea to bring a small container for the early stages and refill at the water stops at the turn around and on the way back.
Dermot MurphyMar 23 2011, 8:28amRegistration Forms - the 2011 registration form is now available in the forms section. If this is your first race in 2011, can you please print out this form and have in filled in for Saturday - this should help the registration process to run smoothly.

Please note that can I ask all new registrations for this year to fill out the form - I will not be printing forms for people who have run IMRA races in prior years.
Richard NunanMar 23 2011, 8:30amHi Tom,

The amount of fluid take on by each runner seems to Vary.
I consumed 2 litres last year. Carrying half a litre at a time between
drops.

It was a mix of different drinks.
Hope that helps a little.
Paul NesbittMar 23 2011, 10:08amI'm going to try wearing my hydration pack & leave a couple of lucozade sports @ the drops....I've been thinking belt or backpack all week but think I'd rather have too much than too little!! Hopefully this weather holds out for Saturday;)
Geraldine O'SheaMar 23 2011, 12:54pmAs Richard advised above I'll have refreshments available at Curtlestown on Saturday. These will consist of water, jelly babies (assorted colours!) and chopped bananas. Given that the numbers competing won't be fixed in advance it is possible that supplies might run short as the day goes on so if you're likely to be running by close to the cut-off time (3.30pm) please consider bringing your own supplies. There will of course be supplies set aside for emergencies. The supply station will be manned from 12.30pm until the cut-off time.
Tamas FarkasMar 24 2011, 4:57pmJust what came up from the hidden, long-forgotten depths of google images! They tried to hide it, but to no avail. Yes, an old IMRA elevation chart for the wicklow trail. This is the pre-2010 course, but it's well worth having a closer look at it. Note, that the start point is Ballinastoe at around 450m. Enjoy.
http://www.imra.ie/maps/WWTrail.jpg
Tomas Mac CormaicMar 24 2011, 8:01pmI take it from judging by that map, the last quater of the ultra is a long climb back upto the start :)
Tamas FarkasMar 24 2011, 11:01pmThe aforementioned elevation chart is for the old WW Trail, so its start point is around the midway point of the ultra (Ballinastoe) and finish point is Glencullen.
Gary CondonMar 25 2011, 9:54amHere's an elevation profile for the 2011 route (ending at the GAA club) from a 'recce I did earlier this week(joke!): http://tinyurl.com/6xvznex
Dermot MurphyMar 25 2011, 10:12amA reminder of a few important points for Saturday:

1) Finish - due to the new lights at the crossroads, we will have to have a new finishing position before the lights. The safest place for this is outside the the GAA club where there is a wide hard shoulder on both sides of the road about 500 meters or so before the lights.

2) Registration - For the Ultra, registration will open at 8:30, although I will be there before then as I have had a few enquiries about an early start. Anyone who feels they may not make the cut off points (please see events page for these) should avail of an early start. Registration for the Trail will open after the Ultra is under way, at around 9:45am. Do not try to register before then, as you will be signed up for the Ultra race.

3)Registration will close for the Trail at 11:15 am SHARP! There will be NO registration for the Trail at the starting point at Ballinastoe. Please try to use the buses in order to get to the start - many thanks to Mick Hanney for organising the buses this year and to everyone who has signed up so far.

4) Parking at Johnnie Foxes - parking is in the overflow car park ONLY - please do not park in the car park beside the pub. This has been requested by Johnnie Foxes in order to have space available for their regular customers. It looks like there will be large numbers for the race, so can people try to car pool out to JF's were possible.

5) Please take not of the cut off times - for your own safety, please stop at the these if you do not make them and get a lift back to JF's.

6) If this is your first IMRA race for 2011, can you please print out the 2011 registration form from the forms section on the site and have it completed - this will help with registration tomorrow morning.

7) Please note - headphones are banned from all IMRA races.
Paul NesbittMar 25 2011, 12:57pmAll the best tomorrow everyone!! Should be a cracker!
Theo MooneyMar 25 2011, 1:36pmanother best wishes to all.
i have butterflies in my stomach writing this. you'd never guess that im nervous as hell for tomorrow..... see you all bright and early!
Mick HanneyMar 26 2011, 4:10pmUploading photos to imra site is problematic. I've loaded photos here in the first instance:- http://pix.ie/mickhanney/album/405564
Alan AylingMar 26 2011, 5:36pmWell that was deadly... my first Ultra and I won't pretend I enjoyed every yard of it, but what an experience! Well done to all the organisers, competitors and supporters.

Legs feel surprisingly alright now. Not sure how tomorrow will be though...
Donal TroddynMar 26 2011, 9:08pmI've uploaded the few semi-respectable photos I managed to get in Knockree of the Ultranuts on the outbound leg. I've a good few more from the homebound leg in Curtlestown, but the Trail runners and Ultrawhackos are mixed in together, so I'll wait for the results to go up so I can sort them before posting.

Also, if you're not photographed or you're blurry, it's not my fault; it's because you were going too fast and it's your own fault.
Dermot MurphyMar 26 2011, 9:40pmUltra results now up - if you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

Full Trail to follow later.

Trail results:

1st Male John Brown
2nd Male Brian Furey
3rd Male Gary Crossan

1st Female Donna Mahon
2nd Female Karen Alexander

I need to go through results for 3rd.
Denise MathersMar 26 2011, 9:58pmHi Dermot,

First of all congratulations on putting on a fine event today - Really enjoyed it.
However now that I'm home and just unpacking things I've just realised I have left my bumbag at the finish - a yellow OMM bumbag with a flouresent yellow wind top in it. Did you find it? If so could you hang on to it for me and I could get it from you at the Carlingford race on the 10th April.
Denise MathersMar 26 2011, 9:58pmHi Dermot,

First of all congratulations on putting on a fine event today - Really enjoyed it.
However now that I'm home and just unpacking things I've just realised I have left my bumbag at the finish - a yellow OMM bumbag with a flouresent yellow wind top in it. Did you find it? If so could you hang on to it for me and I could get it from you at the Carlingford race on the 10th April.
Dermot MurphyMar 26 2011, 10:04pmDenise, we saw that when we were packing up - Des Kennedy brought it back to the pub to see if the owner was still there - he must of missed you.
Susie MitchellMar 27 2011, 9:46amWell done to Richard and everyone involved for organising a 1st class race. Especially thanks to everyone at the water stops for the encouragement and craic! Tough day out there made easier by the great vibes from the other competitors and marshalls. THanks again! Susie, Cormac and Spanish Gonzo
Denise MathersMar 27 2011, 5:57pmDermot,
Is there a chance it could be brought up to the Carlingford race in April and I could pick it up from there. If not maybe you could get me Des Kennedy's phone number - if he still has the bag.
Sorry for being a nuisance - but there's always one at every race - it's me this time!!!!
Dermot MurphyMar 28 2011, 10:43amMany thanks to all the volunteers who helped out on Saturday.

Big thanks to Mick for organising the buses, not only on the day itself but in the weeks before itself. This worked out well again this year.

Car parking marshals, a number of car parking marshals at various times did a great job in directing the traffic and keeping the car park beside JF's free.

Registration - thanks to all who helped out at registration - Bronagh, Jason, Angela, Eoin, Richard and anyone else I've missed.

Big thank you to all the marshals at the water stations - very much appreciated by all runners - Eoin & Richard at halfway, Henny at Lough Tay, Mary and Sean at Crone Wood, Geraldine at Curtlestown, plus any others who also helped out.

Thanks also to Charlie, Eoin & Richard for their help at the finish.

Thanks to all who took photo's along the course.

A final thanks to anyone else I've missed above!
Mick HanneyMar 28 2011, 1:39pmThanks Dermot who made the event really happen. Well done to all competitors. I hope I managed to catch you in some of those photos I posted a link to.

Any race reports?

When I arrived just after the ultra started I was surprised at how full the Johnny Foxes car park was. There wasn't much evidence of people using car pooling to get to Johnny Foxes. We have to improve on this. When people arrived for the trail race many had to use parking beside the church near Johnny Foxes as the initial car parked filled very quickly.
Gary CondonMar 28 2011, 2:07pmMany thanks to all the organizers and volunteers, particularly those who had a few kind motivational words for those of us on the backwards leg of the race. Found it tough on the day, but really enjoyed the entire experience. It is certainly one of the foremost ultra races in the country and a snip at 15 euro (30c a kilometer!).

My race report is posted here on on Boards (http://tinyurl.com/668x3do), but is mostly a tale of woe and despair, so not light coffee-time reading. :0)
Thanks as always to the IMRA team for making another superb event happen. I'll be back next year (though I might get the bus to the turn-around point the next time!).
Caroline ReidMar 28 2011, 2:26pmJust a quick but BIG thank you to everyone involved on Saturday. This truly has to be the friendliest ultra anywhere. To all the organisers, volunteers, fellow ultra runners and trail runners, you blew me away....didn't think last years’ experience could be topped, but Saturday was amazing...you'd have to go a long way to see such kindness and good sportsmanship! Well done all and thank you!

A special note to those who had to DNF - I hope you are on the road to recovery and will be back for more in the near future :o) Hats off for getting to the start line and hope you are back again next year when things will go better.
Mick HanneyMar 30 2011, 11:01pmI managed to upload the remaining photos myself and my little helper (son Ben) took around Lough Tay. I notice in reviewing the other ultra photos uploaded that quite a few of them are trail runners. Difficult to keep a clean split I suppose unless the race numbers were color coded or something.
Denise MathersApr 1 2011, 1:20pmWas wondering does anybody have or know anything about a OMM yellow bum bag which I left behind at the finish line last weekend. Its just that I kinda need it for the end of April as I'm going over to Scotland to do the Highland Fling. Its a really comfortable bumbag and I've been breaking it in for this race. If anyone knows where it is my mobile number is 00447929502689 and I would really appreciate locating it.
Many thanks
Denise
Richard NunanApr 1 2011, 1:51pmI have it Denise, I will be in touch to get it up to you this weekend.
paul tierneyApr 1 2011, 10:53pmHi Richard, dont suppose you or any of the rest of the lads found a black nike beanie or a navy helly hansen base layer. they were left in Ballinastoe and Crone respectively. Thanks