Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carlingford Slieve Foye

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Paul O' ConnorJan 4 2011, 2:55pmJust registered for the Connemara Half (same date) and then saw this race - gutted as it's my local mountain!

As a matter of interest, anyone know the route?
Paul NolanJan 4 2011, 3:20pmPaul
The route isn't 100% finalised as yet but the intention is to run it as an extension of the British & Irish juniors route from a few years back. Details of that race here
http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/maps/id/316/
Paul O' ConnorJan 4 2011, 11:28pmThanks for that.

Gutted that I'll miss it but have signed up for the Connemara Half. Haven't done an IMRA race as of yet mainly due to family commitments but hoping to get a few races in this year - Foye would have been the perfect chance!

Anyway, best of luck with the event - really sounds great.
Colm HillJan 5 2011, 10:57amI assume we're at least going to visit the peak of Slieve Foye and Fox's Rock... (while cutting out the tarmac... in a white out)

(closes eyes and wishes really hard)

C
Jonathan McCloyJan 17 2011, 2:38pmReading between the lines here... the NIMRA Mourne Peaks "Long" race is on the day before this one as the IMRA calendar currently stands. In the NIMRA calendar this race is pencilled in as the same date of the college champs (26th March)... what's the chance of a date shift and running the college champs on Slieve Foye?
Jonathan McCloyJan 24 2011, 2:31pmI was told that last post doesn’t make sense, which it kind of didn’t on re-reading and since then the NIMRA calendar has appeared in the normal format, which changes things a bit…. so here’s another go!

The calendars are currently;

26/03 IMRA College Champs @ Camaderry
02/04 NIMRA Slieve Foye Mountain Trial
09/04 NIMRA Mourne Peaks
10/04 IMRA Slieve Foye

Originally I had mixed up the NIMRA Slieve Foye Mountain Trail (which is an excellent long/nav event, definitely one for you Colm), with the IMRA Slieve Foye race.

I suppose IMRA are hoping to get large numbers of British runners who stay for the weekend… and are fit to move the next day! Which means not much hope of running the IMRA Slieve Foye on the 26/03 and making it the College Champs.
Paul NolanFeb 8 2011, 4:48pmAny generous soul out there willing to direct this race?
There is local help available so you wouldn't be left alone with the responsibilities.
Over to the membership...
Paul NolanFeb 14 2011, 5:50pmAny One?
Mick HanneyFeb 18 2011, 9:53amThis role might suit someone on the northside of Dublin? Events can't be run if we don't have a race director.
Ian ConroyMar 29 2011, 10:16pmHi, I know the race is a while away, but is anyone driving down from Dublin as I'd be looking for a lift?
Dermot MurphyMar 30 2011, 11:51amRoute map now up.

Turlough ConwayApr 1 2011, 2:30pmJust a question re route map:

There is a trail up by the forest that was used for the B and I schools before: http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/maps/id/316/

Using this would cut up to a kilometer off the public road.

There may be a good reason why this is the case: narrowness/bunching, access, lenght etc. Just enquiring.
Turlough ConwayApr 1 2011, 2:38pmSorry, should have read: teher may be a good reason why this isnt being used
Paul NolanApr 1 2011, 3:28pmTwo reasons TC.

Firstly, that trail was only run up during the Juniors race. It is particularly unpleasant for running down being narrow and hard underfoot.
Secondly, this is the route proposed by the local runner who will be marking the course.
Turlough ConwayApr 1 2011, 10:49pmThanks for that Paul. Its a great course. Will be an absolute flyer of a descent! Winning time could be close to 45 if a few very fast lads show up.
Colm HillApr 2 2011, 8:31pmJust a quick question.... As we approach the final steep section, are we going up the "nose" or up through the gap in the crags? Or is it a free for all :D
Its slightly unclear from the OS map.

http://orienteering.ie/gadget/kartat/73.jpg
Paul NolanApr 3 2011, 6:04pmIt will be a marked course, so follow which ever way the markers show.
Tamas FarkasApr 5 2011, 5:39pmHi,
Is there anyone generous who could give me a lift from around Dublin? Or if any of the volunteers will be driving from Dublin, I could join and then I would just sign up as a volunteer too (running). 0872348903
Thanks!
Tamas FarkasApr 5 2011, 5:53pm...or I could be picked up at Dundalk bus station. bus eireann operates a frequent daily service to there (100X).
Jonny GrahamApr 5 2011, 8:45pmHi, i was thinking about entering this event and wanted your opinion if i should. I am training for the Belfast marathon in May and have done the Larne 1/2 and Armagh 10k. I have never entered a mountain running race before and wondered if this one would be good to start of?
I have raced the XC marathon on mtbs in the Carlingford area before and it finished decending the same route as the race intends to take. I know the area quite well.

Thanks
Jonny.
Dermot MurphyApr 5 2011, 9:30pmJonny, if you know the area, you should be fine as you would have a good idea what is in store.
Jonny GrahamApr 5 2011, 9:45pmThanks Dermot, as long as you all don't go home before i finish. Hopefully see you there.
Andrew DooleyApr 5 2011, 10:30pmHi, I'm in the same boat as Tamas above, looking for a lift to the Carlingford race. If anyone has room, I'm on 08seven 615 six 44 six. Thanks.

Andrew
Dermot MurphyApr 7 2011, 8:40pmI could do with a couple on non running volunteers to help with the finish, if anyone is available.
Donal TroddynApr 7 2011, 9:48pmHi, Dermot, I'd be happy happy to volunteer, if anyone can offer a lift from Dublin. I'm down near Dún Laoghaire, but if any of the volunteers are heading up from Dublin and have a spare seat, I can meet them somewhere in the city.
Kathleen CurranApr 8 2011, 1:49pmHi,

I would like to do this run on Sun and will be driving from Ranelagh if anyone needs a lift. Please drop me an e-mail kathleenmcurranATgmailDOTcom

Kathleen
James FlanaganApr 9 2011, 10:52pmHi, I can bring one passenger. I was planning on leaving Islandbridge between 9.30am and 9.45am and will collect along the way within reason as I will be the laptop operator so I need to be on time. Please leave me a text message at any time before then at zero eight seven two seven one double five one eight or e-mail me on j-flanaganAThotmailDOTcom. James
Ronan HickeyApr 10 2011, 4:17pmSavage race guys! Loved it. Beautiful weather too. Got a little lost coming off the top but all part of the fun! First race back after a broken ankle so it's feeling great to be back! Thanks for putting on a great race!
Dermot MurphyApr 10 2011, 7:40pmWell done to Paul and Emma for fine wins today at Carlingford. It was a beautiful sunny day and I think everyone enjoyed the course.

Many thanks to all the helpers today - Eamonn McMahon for marking the course and organising the marshals, Zoran for helping out with registration and James for recording the results on the lap top - great job by all.
Alan AylingApr 10 2011, 8:47pmFabulous event, course, weather, day. Thanks to Eamonn, Dermot & co for making it all possible. Hope this becomes a regular on the calendar. Those mountains deserve a lot more credit than they get.
john greeneApr 10 2011, 10:01pmthanks to organizers & marshals for their words of encouragement. surprised there wasn't a bigger field considering the weather & ease of access (from south anyway). a descent Aidan Roe would have relished!
john greeneApr 10 2011, 10:01pmthanks to organizers & marshals for their words of encouragement. surprised there wasn't a bigger field considering the weather & ease of access (from south anyway). a descent Aidan Roe would have relished!
Andrew DooleyApr 10 2011, 10:59pmSuper route, perfect conditions. Will be going back to Carlingford to hike and get a longer look at that terrific view form the top.

Got a bit muddled on the descent from the summit but didn't take away from an all round great race.
Jim FitzharrisApr 11 2011, 2:57pmHi all,

I would like to add my vote of thanks to Dermot and his trusty team of volunteers for a great day out in the Cooley Mountains.

I too got a wee bit confused coming off the summit but it did not really cost me any time.

I do very few of the weekend races but I was still surprised to see so few out. It is not far from Dublin given the excellent roads and Carlingford was a lovely place to have an al fresco lunch in the glorious sunshine!

I was wondering did anyone get a Garmin reading for distance and elevation given that the start was moved?

Cheers,

Jim.

Mick HanneyApr 11 2011, 3:03pmYour weekend races are impacted by race clashes moreso than midweek races I guess. Saw good results from various IMRA bods in the Connemara half, full and ultra (in particular well done Rafael in the latter).

Its probably the same story next week as the WAR event takes place Saturday and theres orienteering stuff happening too. Variety is the spice of life...
Turlough ConwayApr 11 2011, 4:44pmJim, I got 8.7k didtance and 558m of climbing and descending.
Stuart ScottApr 11 2011, 4:49pmIs that all?! My legs would swear otherwise. Thanks Dermot and everyone else, I had a great day out. The coffee, icecream and sun after was well deserved I think!
Zoran SkrbaApr 11 2011, 8:46pm+ 1 on the course and thanks to the volunteers and organisers. I thought the marking was more than sufficient, I took the same route out and back, although it looked that few shortcuts were possible on the way back from the top.
@Jim - I got 8.17k and 568m ascent.
Jim FitzharrisApr 13 2011, 10:05am
Hi all,

Like Stuart, I too felt it longer in my legs!

Thanks Turlough & Zoran for the Garmin readings.

I am intrigued at the difference between them: while there is only 10m between the two on ascent, there is over 500m on distance: 8.17 Km vs 8.7 km. Is there a typo somewhere or how else can this be explained?

Cheers,

Jim.
Rene BorgApr 20 2011, 1:33pmTeam results now up for this event.