Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyMay 18 2011, 10:12amEarly call for volunteers to come forward for this race. Without volunteers, particularly of the non-running variety the race won't happen. Priority at this stage is the need for a route marker, so if someone is familiar with Trooperstown and can oblige that would be great.
Ken McDonaghJun 3 2011, 10:52amWe still need volunteers for this race (remember you must volunteer at least twice to claim a league prize)
In particular we need:
- A route marker (someone familiar with last year's summer route)
- A first aid person
- At least two marshals
And the usual helpers for registration, numbers, finish, carpark etc.
Ken McDonaghJun 21 2011, 11:02amThanks to those who have already volunteered, but Trooperstown hill is still looking for volunteers, so if you haven't clocked up your 2 volunteering slots then get on board!
In particular we need:
- A first aid person (non-running)
- A route marker (non-running - unless you fancy doing 3 laps)
- A summit marshall and a marshall for the junior turnaround (both non-running)

Finally, could the people who have already volunteered forward me on an e-mail address if you haven't added one to the MyImra system - kenneth[dot]mcdonagh at dcu.ie
Ben MooneyJun 22 2011, 11:31pmI will help and race at Trooperstown race.
Ben Mooney
Eamonn O'NeillJun 23 2011, 3:49pmI don't mind helping at this one. first time ever helping out and haven't done the route before. Junior turn around point maybe :) or whatever!! Anythin to help out.

Thanks,
Eamonn
Eamonn O'NeillJun 23 2011, 3:55pmSorry my last e-mail address was incorrect. The correct one is with this message
Ken McDonaghJun 24 2011, 5:18pmThanks to everyone who's volunteered over the last few days, we're almost there now - I'm still in need of a First Aid person though. The race cannot go ahead without one!
Mick HanneyJun 24 2011, 8:34pmKen,
If you don't get a better offer I'll do first aid.
Regards,
Mick
Kathleen CurranJun 27 2011, 3:57pmHi,

Just to confirm that Trooperstown race is 7:30 AM and not PM?

Kathleen
Kevin O'RiordanJun 27 2011, 4:00pmThat would be a mistake on the website. The correct time is 7:30PM
Ken McDonaghJun 28 2011, 9:05amThanks Mick, I'll put you down provisionally as First Aider.
Thanks also to the other volunteers, could I remind everyone to send on an e-mail address to me if you don't already have one in the IMRA system.
Paddy LordJun 29 2011, 11:31amHelp!! I want to volunteer as a non running helper for the Trooperstown race next week but I don't know how: ideally in a role that will get me out on the hill, either as an assistant marker or summit marshal or whatever.
Dermot MurphyJun 29 2011, 11:37amHi Paddy, I have included you as a non running volunteer.
Robert MoloneyJun 29 2011, 2:46pmI would like to be available as a running volunteer for this race
Ken McDonaghJun 29 2011, 3:52pmThanks Robert, I've added you in as a running volunteer,
Ken
Sinead Gaffney Jun 29 2011, 7:04pmHi what is the correct time and date for the trooperstown race
Turlough ConwayJun 29 2011, 11:05pmSinead, just click on Event Details (at top of this page or in Events) to see what you are looking for.
John O'ReganJun 30 2011, 12:51pmHi,

If possible I'd like to be a running volunteer for this race. I don't have a password for my imra or anything. (If no spaces left for running volunteers no problem)

Thanks,

John O'Regan
Ken McDonaghJun 30 2011, 1:02pmHi John,
I've added you as a running volunteer.
Thanks,
Ken
John Kelly71Jun 30 2011, 2:18pmI'd like to be a running volunteer for this race if possible!!!!!
Ken McDonaghJun 30 2011, 2:50pmSorry John,
At this stage I have enough running volunteers and probably enough non-running volunteers.
Kippure and the Sugar Bowl are still looking for volunteers though.
John Kelly71Jun 30 2011, 2:52pmNo Problem
I'd like to volunteer as a runner helper for Kippure so !

John
Ken McDonaghJul 4 2011, 10:53amSome final details for this Wednesday's Race:
- As always, carparking is limited so please carpool!
- Can all volunteers be at the carpark for 6pm (I'm still missing a few e-mail addresses)
- The route is slightly different from the map attached. The race will use the same finish as last year's summer route. Rather than returning to the start/finish via the fire-road, runners should continue to the second entrance into the forest and follow the narrow ride through the trees (this will be marked), when you get back to the fire-road turn right to the finish about another 50 metres downhill.
- Underfoot conditions are very good along the course at the moment, with rain forecast it might get boggy in a couple of places but nothing to compare with the last two weeks races
- As rain is forecast, please bring along a light rain jacket, a call will be made on the night as to whether carrying it is compulsory
- Insect repellent is highly recommended
- Prize-giving and pints will be in the Coach House in Roundwood
Jesko ZimmermannJul 5 2011, 3:32pmHi,
would anybody have a seat available for tomorrow? I'm volunteering so I would need to be there at six.

Thanks,
Jesko
Michael ConneallyJul 5 2011, 5:32pmHi Jesko. I'm also volunteering tomorrow and am leaving from Merrion Sq. in the city at about 5. Let me know if that is any good to you. o87 3two2 148two.
Mick
Sonja FuhrmannJul 5 2011, 11:06pmAnybody leaving Dublin,UCD, at 6pm tomorrow and could give me a lift? Or I could drive and give others a lift. On my own in the car at the moment..
Aisling CorkeryJul 6 2011, 12:22amHey Sonja, I'm leaving UCD just before 6pm, as I have to pick up Eavan at the Radisson Entrance Junction at 6, so I could meet you at the sports centre entrance for at 5.50pm, if that suits? Or you could make your way to the Radisson and I can pick both of you up there.
Aillil O'ReillyJul 6 2011, 8:55amLooking for a lift from town. Ercus can't fit me on the back of the bike!
John BarryJul 6 2011, 12:33pmAillil,

I leaving from Blackrock ~6 p.m. if it's any use to you. I'm about ~5 minute walk from Dart to Carysfort ave (Blackrock Buisness Park)

John
Michelle RowleyJul 6 2011, 12:54pmI am usually going from Pearse Street area at 5.30ish, so if that suits?
Eva FairmanerJul 6 2011, 12:56pmJust wondering is car pooling from the The Coach House this evening?
Sonja FuhrmannJul 6 2011, 1:27pmHi Aisling. That is great. I will give you a call at lunch time. I can be at Radisson junction just after 6pm (finish work at 6pm, I work opposite the running track on Stillorgan Road/N11 entrance from UCD). Thanks
Eamonn HodgeJul 6 2011, 3:54pmHi Michelle,
If you see this message and you still have room can you let me know? 087 753 813 four.

Eamonn
Eamonn HodgeJul 6 2011, 4:09pmSorted! Thanks Michelle.
Seamus O'BoyleJul 6 2011, 4:42pmHi Michelle, any chance I could hop in with you if you have space?
Cheers!
Seamus O'BoyleJul 6 2011, 5:02pmMy hero :-)
Aillil O'ReillyJul 6 2011, 5:04pmMichelle!

Fabulous! Are you still there? Aillil
Rene BorgJul 7 2011, 7:55amTeam results are up.
Ken McDonaghJul 7 2011, 11:03amJust a short note to say thanks to all the volunteers last night and well done to all the runners!
Everyone got down safely with just a couple of minor cuts and one muscle injury.
In particular thanks to Melanie and Peter, who did trojan work on the laptop, and Vivian, who marked the course during the worst of the rain last night.
As a first-time RD, it was the experience, generosity and enthusiasm of all the volunteers that kept the show on the road and running smoothly!

The one negative issue on the night was the number of people collecting their numbers and running without signing in. This is an important safety issue as it's the only way we can keep track of how many people are on the mountain. It is also a key part of efficiently and accurately recording the results so please make sure you always sign in before collecting your number.

Other than that, for anyone waivering on whether or not to volunteer for an RD'ing role - I'd say go for it; it gives you great insight into how these events are run and the support is there for any questions/doubts/fears you have along the way.
Mick HanneyJul 7 2011, 11:42amWell done Ken.

On a safety point, the conditions last night underfoot really demanded people wore decent trail shoes with good grip. Lots just had road shoes. You should always bring a choice of runner with you so you can match the runner you need to the underfoot conditions.
Jim FitzharrisJul 7 2011, 12:26pmCan I extend my thanks to Ken and his team of volunteers for a well-run race. In particular, special thanks to the marshals: Vivian, Paddy Lord, Gordon and Amidou. The race marking was excellent but there is nothing to beat the reassuring sight of a marshall and they also give great encouragement as well!

The issue of runners collecting numbers and not signing in is a difficult one and can be a nightmre for the laptop operator. The best solution is to have a very well demarcated registration area with the sequence being money collection, sign-in and number collection. This is not always easy - I have experienced the problems that Ken highlighted. Runners will mill around generally, checking their number, talking to friends, etc. Plus, race organisers do not want to sound like parade ground martinets barking orders all the time! Maybe we should encourage runners to sign in etc and then chat a little distance from the registarion "hub". Placement of that area could also be chosen carefully to minimise the problem.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jane PorterJul 7 2011, 2:16pmBring back the gazebo, the poles and the tape and the one way system through registration!!!
Paul SmythJul 7 2011, 2:28pmHow much effort does it take to sign in before the race? Frankly none and IMHO anyone who hasn't signed in hasn't entered the race irrespective of whether they've paid an entry fee or not. Publicise this and then enforce it at one or two races whereby people who do this don't get included in the race results and don't have it count towards league results and that'll soon put a stop to the problem.
Colm HillJul 7 2011, 2:33pmFor Scarr, we had a line, with the number sheet going back along and people paying, then collecting the numbers before been sent away.

No number, no run. I had to turn away a fairly large group. They could run, but anyone without a number were made divert 50m from the finish line as they weren't part of the race.
People got to run, but weren't included in the results.
Everyones* happy!

*RD was happy, so I made the call that everyone was happy
Tamas FarkasJul 7 2011, 6:33pmGreat race yesterday! Im just wondering if this route was actually shorter than the winter league route - beating my winter time by 6 min seems a bit steep. People with garmin, any idea?
Mick HanneyJul 7 2011, 6:44pmWell it was a different route from the Winter League, which had the longer finish back along the trail for one...
Brendan O'ConnorJul 7 2011, 8:15pmA tried and tested registration process was defined a number of years ago and can be found here: http://www.imra.ie/volunteering/role/id/1/. It works. It just requires a few stakes and tape.
Brendan.