Irish Mountain
Running Association

AAI National Masters/Intermediate Cross-Country

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Pádraig FitzpatrickJul 3 2011, 1:38pmHi,
I'd like to have a go at the Trooperstown Hill run, i haven't done an IMRA run before. What's the standard like? What range of times do you think the finishers will be? Basically i don't want to be stranded half way up a hill with the sun setting!!!!!!

I've run some hills up around the Hellfire club and that area but not much.

Thanks,
Padraig.
Peter McNeillJul 3 2011, 8:51pmPadraig,
Check out the results, report, etc from last year -- http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/results/id/750/

Pete
tadgh mcgintyDec 26 2011, 7:29pmwhat age is it to be to run i would like to start up mountain running i have been doing long distance cross country running for my club for a while now..!
Gerry BradyDec 27 2011, 10:40amTadgh

You should generally concentrate on cross-country and track until around the age of 18 and then only gradually become more involved. The most suitable mountain races for younger runners are the schools races (Irish championships will probably be held in March/April) and short races held in conjunction with some senior races in the Dublin/Wicklow area. Orienteering is probably a better mountain sport for younger runners as the focus is on learning navigation skills and running technique in rougher ground rather than on fitness and speed.

Age group wise, the 2012 British and Irish under 16 and 18 races in September are for persons born in 1994-1997. The International Youth Cup in 2012 is for runners born in 1995 or 1996. The 2012 European and World juniors are for the 1993-1996 age group.