Irish Mountain
Running Association

GOAL Relay Race - Killiney Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Dermot MurphyApr 15 2011, 1:02pmJust a couple of points on for the race next Wednesday:

Registration closes at 7:15pm sharp. We will need to organise the teams before the start at 7:30pm, so please be there as early as possible.

As all proceeds of Wednesday's race go to charity, I would appreciate if people could round up their race and/or registration fees, were possible.

You will not be running with your normal race numbers, but you can still register for the year - again, all proceeds go to charity. If you want to register for the year, please bring along a completed registration form for 2011.

After race presentation is at the Club bar in Dalkey. Prizes for the first team and also a few spot prizes.
Dermot MurphyApr 15 2011, 1:03pmAnd also thanks to all those who have volunteered so far. A lap top operator is not needed for this race.
Diarmuid O'ColmainApr 19 2011, 9:48pmMary is wondering where the First Aid kit is for the race tomorrow night, as she is First Aid volunteer
Dermot MurphyApr 20 2011, 10:23amDiarmuid, I have the first aid kit so will have it with me later.
Dermot MurphyApr 20 2011, 11:48pmMany thanks to all who ran tonight at the GOAL relay - €527 was raised for GOAL so well done to all! We had a fine sunny evening with nice dry conditions. We also had an exciting race with the lead changing over several times in the final leg before team 9 of Ronan Hickey, Tim Chapman and Aisling Renshaw emerged as victors in a time of 38 minutes 35 seconds - the only team to go under 40 minutes. Full results to follow shortly - sorry about the formatting and some runners may find their recorded time is not quite right - this was due to around half a dozen runners coming in around the same time on the first leg and their times were not recorded accurately.

Many thanks also to the volunteers - Hazel for marking the course, running the race and then demarking! Brian and Mick for helping at registration and recording results, and also to Vivian and Mary, whose first aid skills were thankfully not required.
Dermot MurphyApr 20 2011, 11:51pmTeams and final positions:

Team A Runner B Runner C Runner Finish Time Position
1 James Clancy Hazel Thompson Sarah Ni Ruairc 41:07 4
2 Justin Ray Dessie Shorten Annmarie Cox 41:52 7
3 Alan Donnelly Cathal O'SullivaJohn Fitzgerald 44:45 11
4 Hugh Gormley Paula Rea Janne Kanito 58:54 15
5 Gerry Flaherty Ciaran McGrath Paul McRedmond 49:30 14
6 Greg Byrne Melanie Spath Fiona Christen 41:27 6
7 Michael GalliganAaron Shorten Derek Sanderson 43:02 10
8 Damien ArchibaldJoan Stapleton Peadar O'Connor 46:30 13
9 Ronan Hickey Tim Chapman Aisling Renshaw 38:35 1
10 Conor Crawley Stefan Martin Dave Brady 42:04 8
11 Irene Walsh Tommy Galvin James Hannigan 41:12 5
12 Jose Rodriguez Eamonn Hodge Martin Francis 40:10 3
13 Donal Trodyn James Alexander Aisling O'Connor40:00 2
14 Richard Crawley David Crawley Eimear Moore 42:30 9
15 Caroline CrawleyCian Rea Fiona Sheerin 45:50 12
16 Derek Livingstone
Dermot MurphyApr 20 2011, 11:52pmIndividual Results - well done to Martin Francis for the fastest time!

Runner Time
Martin Francis 10:10
Greg Byrne 10:43
James Alexander 11:13
Dessie Shorten 11:15
Cathal O'Sullivan11:25
Eamonn Hodge 11:30
James Clancy 11:42
Ronan Hickey 12:11
Caroline Crawley12:22
Tim Chapman 12:34
Gerry Flaherty 12:45
Damien Archibald12:45
Conor Crawley 12:45
Stefan Martin 12:45
David Crawley 12:50
Tommy Galvin 13:00
Donal Trodyn 13:05
Melanie Spath 13:17
Derek Livingstone13:20
Justin Ray 13:30
Irene Walsh 13:30
Richard Crawley 13:30
Aaron Shorten 13:30
Hazel Thompson 13:33
Aisling Renshaw 13:50
Derek Sanderson 14:42
James Hannigan 14:42
Hugh Gormley 14:45
John Fitzgerald 14:45
Michael Galligan14:50
Peadar O'Connor 15:20
Fiona Sheerin 15:20
Aisling O'Connor15:42
Sarah Ni Ruairc 15:52
Eimear Moore 16:10
Dave Brady 16:34
Annmarie Cox 17:07
Fiona Christen 17:27
Paul McRedmond 17:36
Cian Rea 18:08
Joan Stapleton 18:25
Jose Rodriguez 18:30
Alan Donnelly 18:35
Ciaran McGrath 19:09
Paula Rea 19:21
Janne Kanito 24:48
Ronan HickeyApr 21 2011, 9:11amThere's no way to put up a race report unfortunately as this race has no results but thanks for a great fun race! Special thanks to Dermot, the marshalls who stopped us from going astray and Hazel for marking and demarking the course. A great warm-up for the Leinster League!

Ronan
Dermot MurphyApr 21 2011, 9:42amRonan, or any other race reporters out there, feel free to post a race report as a forum note - this chain of notes is tied to the Goal events page.
Ronan HickeyApr 21 2011, 11:48amRACE REPORT

46 of us gathered for the GOAL Killiney Hill relay race. Some maybe tempted by the fact that according to last year's event the ascent was 220m and this year's event said 129m? Can't say the identical route felt any different to be honest! :-) Dermot organised us all quickly and divvied us up into 15 random teams of 3. With Derek Livingstone a 16th team unto himself.

I was in the first wave and after a quick briefing from Dermot and a route description from the marker, Hazel, we set off. We moved pretty quickly
down the tarmac path and I heard someone beside me say "Uh-oh, if I'm at the front it means I'm going off way too fast". I think Greg Byrne, who was
in the first wave, was gentlemanly enough to allow a few of us to think we were the Mutt's Nuts as we led the pack for a while before he casually stretched
his legs a bit and passed us on the outside. That was pretty much the last we saw of him, infuriatingly looking like he was out for a stroll, taking in the views, while the rest of us coughed, spluttered and heaved in his wake!

I was about 7th at that stage, but pulled back to 3rd on the climb up to the Obelisk. We startled a poor girl out for a leisurely jog when we swept over her in a wave. That's what you get for wearing headphones I guess!

Down through the trees (thank God for the marshall at the hole in the wall!) and turned down onto the coast path where I had to hurdle a dog who was lying in the middle of the path, clearly in infringement of the IMRA rules on
descending runners having right of way.

A beautiful stretch along a flat path with views of the coast (apparently) until Eva pointed us up the steep step-filled path to the ruins at the top. I hoped to catch the second place runner, James Clancy, ahead of me and had him in my sights for a while but he put on a spurt as we topped out on Killiney Hill and left me for dead.

I passed the "baton" to our number 2, Tim Chapman, in 3rd place and Tim ran a savage leg, finishing with an all-out sprint to overtake the runner ahead of him
and maintain our 3rd place position. Then it was up to our third runner, Aisling Renshaw, to do what myself and Tim had failed to do and sure enough by the time the runners came back into view, skipping down through the trees from the Obelisk, she had claimed first place. A position she maintained and consolidated with a greatly increased gap right until the end!

Apparently she had no idea she was in first though. (In fact as she reappeared she took the time to do one of her trademark jumps.) Well if that's how Aisling runs when she's just chilling out I'd hate to see her run if she
thought placings depended on it! :-)

A great race! The atmosphere was brilliant and the random choice of teams makes for a lot of fun and a great social event. It really kicks off the Summer races.

Definitely worth noting was an absolutely savage run from the fastest runner on the day, Martin Francis, who took a huge minute and 8 seconds off his time for the same course last year! Caroline Crawley was the fastest lady on the day.

James ClancyApr 21 2011, 4:05pmGreat route and well organised by everyone, which led to a brilliant evening.

Fantastic report Ronan.

Thanks,

James
Ronan HickeyApr 21 2011, 4:21pm
"Fantastic report Ronan."

Just cos it showed you beating me. Go to hell! I'll see you in Bray :-)

Ro