Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mountain Rescue Benefit Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Tamas FarkasAug 12 2011, 10:44pmHi Brendan, will you need a summit marshal on Fairy Castle? I'm first to ask for it so the role is mine. Isn't it? Cheers
Gareth LittleAug 15 2011, 5:15pm
Hi Tamas, Brendan is away on holidays. There will be a summit marshal required but I am unsure if this position will be filled my a mountain rescue volunteer or not. Brendan will confirm this when he is back,

Rgds,

Gareth
Roisin Mc DonnellAug 22 2011, 10:46pmKeith Fitzsimmons would like to volunteer to help at this race, cheers
Pawel PentlinowskiAug 27 2011, 8:45pmHi

Just a quick one. I'm not a member but I'd like to participate in the run. I am not familiar with the area where the race is, and was wondering if you could please let me know whether the start is at the same place where registration point is and how much time in advance the reg. point will be available?

Many thanks for the info.
John ShielsAug 28 2011, 8:36pmThe start and reg are at the same place and you can usually register from about an hour before the race start.
Brendan LawlorAug 29 2011, 1:09pmThanks to all of you who have offered to help with this Wednesday's Mountain Rescue Benefit race. Could you please plan to be at Ticknock by 6, or 6.15pm latest.

The race route will be a slight variation on the traditional up/down route shown on the Map. People will run to the summit of Fairy Castle via the Boneshaker track and then come off the summit in a south east direction and pick up the track along the forest boundary to take you back to the aerials. It will be well marked (by that expert route marker Vivian O'Gorman!) and well marshalled. We want to avoid last years confusion.

We hope as many of you as possible will mark the end of formal Wednesday night racing for 2011 with us

Regards

Brendan and Hugh
Declan O'DwyerAug 29 2011, 5:33pmHi Brendan,

Would I be right in saying the slight variation of the route brings us down the trail used in the End of League Handicap, which made the Boneshaker track seem like flat tarmac, and will add about 2k to the length of the race.

thanks
Declan
Brendan LawlorAug 29 2011, 5:40pmDeclan

That sounds right but I didn't do the handicap race. I will have copies of the route on hand on the night if we don't get a new map uploaded before then
Greg ByrneAug 29 2011, 8:25pmBrendan, from my reading of your description you will be sending runners down the new mountain bike trails, against the direction of the mbt trail.

There is a rough track used by the mini-diggers to the side of the mountain bike trail, but people will invariably run on the nicer surface.
Brendan LawlorAug 30 2011, 12:14pmCorrected map now up - thanks Greg for heads up re MTB trail, I'll warn Vivian about this, and we will make sure the route is well marshalled and marked to avoid any collisions
Declan O'DwyerAug 30 2011, 12:40pmBrendan,

Good to see the map, this does differ from the end of league handicap descent, having had a quick check on google earth, this appears to be about 6.5k in length.
seamus kilcullenAug 30 2011, 7:54pmwhat pub are we going to afterwards?
seamus
Brendan LawlorAug 30 2011, 8:12pmLamb Doyles - you are on the ball as ever Seamus, like da Dubs!
michael redmondAug 30 2011, 10:29pmi hope it doesnt take 61 minutes to get the first pint
Fergal ConnollyAug 31 2011, 11:36amHi, never done an IMRA race before. Will there be somewhere to lock a bike near the race start tonight?

Thanks,

Fergal
Brendan LawlorAug 31 2011, 11:38amFergal - yes there will

Tamas - we will send you up to Summit with a Mountain Rescuer - apologies, I missed your earlier request
Jack LaydenAug 31 2011, 11:41amHello
I Shall be driving from the shop at abbey street leaving at 6.20 or so
kids back today, traffic may be bad.
Enough room for 3/4 folk, depending on height/ weight/ ability to contort
email shop if you want a lift
cheers
jack
Eamonn O'NeillAug 31 2011, 4:37pmCan't help out tonight...been gettin sick at work gone home, sorry

Eamonn
Brendan LawlorSep 1 2011, 10:02amThanks you to everyone who competed in last nights event - we raised over €1700 for the Mountain Rescue teams. Particular thanks to those of you who fundraised also.

Our additional helpers last night ensured that everything ran smoothly so thank you to Vivian, Kevin, Ger, Keith, Tamas and Isabelle, as well as the mountain rescue volunteers from both teams

We'll be back again next year with a new route

Stay safe on the hills!