Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Jason KehoeJun 12 2012, 6:30pmHi All,

Tick, Tock goes the IMRA clock!

Don't miss out on your end of league prize, get your name on the volunteer list for the last few races of the season. I'm looking to finalise volunteers ASAP for this race which is being organised by Crusaders A/C and friends. We have a great Cru' already so if I think we have enough I may stick a cap on volunteer numbers to help out the race directors in the last two busy races.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Crusaders A/C
Gerard KeatingJun 12 2012, 6:58pmHi Jason, you can include me but I'm not set up as a volunteer yet. Can you put my name down?
Jason KehoeJun 13 2012, 11:08amI have added you as a non running volunteer Gerard. Emails to follow.

Thanks,
Jason
Ben MooneyJun 14 2012, 11:13amWill run and help. Ben Mooney
seamus kilcullenJun 17 2012, 12:04pmII'd liketo volunteer for this race,non-runner
seamus1
Jason HalpinJun 21 2012, 11:31amHi, I can volunteer as runner or non runner, whichever suits best...
Gerard KeatingJun 21 2012, 12:16pmHi Jason, if it turns out that you have enough non-runner volunteers I'll opt out or will be a running volunteer as I may struggle to get the seven races in the LL without it. If you are stuck I will still do it though as I've already committed. Cheers
Jason KehoeJun 21 2012, 1:05pmHi Gerard,

That shouldn't be a problem to switch to a runner as we are now over-subscribed for volunteers, I will change your status.

As an FYI to you and others, by the end of the year you need to complete two volunteer stints, one of which must be as a non-runner to qualify for your end of league prize (assuming you ran 7 LL races).

@Jason Halpin - I have added you as a non-runner.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason KehoeJun 26 2012, 2:03pm

-----------------------------------------------
Race Director Update 1 - For volunteers:
We have reached capacity for volunteers on this race so thank you very much to my fellow Crusaders A/C members and friends who join us on the night!

I have sent all volunteers a list of duties on the night via email. I do not have email for the following people:

Seamus Kilcullen - Numbers & Course Marshall
Ben Mooney - Car Park Marshall.

All volunteers to arrive at 6pm at the registration area.

More details to follow closer to the race

Best Regards,
Jason

David HobbsJun 27 2012, 9:23pm Thanks For the Email Jason , I will have the Mr Hobbs Coffee Bar at Trooperstown CarPark From 6pm -9pm.

Any Requests / Welcome Cold Drinks & Snacks Available with the Full Coffee Barista Service! Sandwiches & Meal Deals are an option depending on Advance demand.
Regards David www.mrhobbscoffee.com
Orla CrosseJun 30 2012, 12:06pmHi Jason,
If you need any more help July 4th just let me know, available as a non-running volunteer. 0ate7097774ate
Laura FlannellyJul 2 2012, 9:25amHi Jason

I just switched to non-running volunteer due to an injury. I hope to be there around six, depending on who I will get a lift with.

Laura
Tressan McCambridgeJul 2 2012, 5:55pmHi Jason

I'm also a non running volunteer now.

Thanks
Tressan
Mick HanneyJul 2 2012, 6:16pmCan I just check the pub for parking / prize-giving? Says Roundwood, but as Trooperstown is a stones throw from Laragh does that make sense?
Dermot MurphyJul 2 2012, 9:34pmMick, Jason can confirm for Wednesday's race, but Roundwood has always been used for the prize giving location for previous Trooperstown races.
Jason KehoeJul 3 2012, 5:20pm-----------------------------------------------
Race Director Update 2 - For Runners:

I'm delighted to publish the final update on this race which is being hosted by Crusaders A/C and friends.

Carpool:
Our carpool marshall will be stationed as you drive into Roundwood, Beginning where the on-street parking is. He will be looking out for cars passing so don't be afraid to ask for help if you are looking for a lift or willing to give one. We are asking people to have three per car when leaving here.

Parking:
Trooperstown is tight for parking so single occupancy cars will be asked to park in Laragh and run to the start, 1.5km, please be careful on the windy roads if you do so.

*PLEASE *PLEASE *PLEASE - ensure your NAME and NUMBER is fully legible on the sign in sheet. There will be a list available where you can find out your number if in doubt.

Early Start:
There will be an organised early start at 7:10pm. A volunteer will take one time for all and then please tell laptop operators when you come in that you were an early starter. As usual this is only for those over the 160% of usual winners time.

Course conditions:
2km of fireroad / Tarmac, 6km of boggy and wet open mountain, 2km finish on same fireroad / Tarmac. Aggressive trail shoes are suggested for stability.
On 'Boots Mountain' be sure to pay your respects to the local hiker who loved the views there. On its peak you can see his original hiking boots which were filled and set with cement on the top.

Post Race:
Prizegiving will be held in the usual spot of The Coachhouse in roundwood. We have a few nice surprises lined up and hopefully a swift prizegiving.

Jason Kehoe
Trooperstown Race Director
Crusaders A/C
Stuart ScottJul 3 2012, 5:26pmWill the nice surprises be along a similar line to those at Saturday's prizegiving...?
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 3 2012, 5:30pmGutted I missed the prize giving last Saturday, Stuart.

That's the last time I give those Cork blaggards a lift! But I'm sure Jason has something planned for everyone tomorrow.
Jason KehoeJul 3 2012, 5:44pmHi Mick,

I followed previous years organisation details, The Coach House is booked and confirmed. For me it's more so organised around carpooling where I think the majority or runners will be coming through, Roundwood (ten mins drive).

Those coming from the other end can organise carpooling through the website or run to the start.

Cheers,
Jason
Jason KehoeJul 3 2012, 5:48pm
Most definitely yes Stuart! I will be giving away free kisses on the cheek to all prize winners should they want one. IMRA is an equal opportunity organisation and it's only right we should spread the love! ;)
ciaran kellyJul 3 2012, 7:24pmHi Folks,,
lift available from Lucan \ Ballymount and southbound M50 round abouts.

Leaving Ballymount @ 6.00

Ciaran 086 88 44 629
Rene BorgJul 3 2012, 7:38pmSince this is one of my "pet races", I have posted a race preview which I hope some of you, especially those doing it for the first time, will find useful: http://www.championseverywhere.com/trooperstown-hill-previewed
David PowerJul 3 2012, 9:42pmLooking forward to the race. Should be muddy!
I've a lift leaving Sandyford at 6pm - text 086 0503350 and I can pick you up from Luas stop.
jason melvinJul 3 2012, 10:47pmHi,

I'm looking for a lift for myself and a mate please from the blackrock area tomorrow eve or anywhere nearby. We can make our way up to the n11 also by about 5.45 if that suits anyone? I'm on 0877949055

Thanks
Jason
Stuart ScottJul 4 2012, 12:34amThanks for clarifying that Jason. Sometimes being a midfield runner has it's advantages!
anthony finnJul 4 2012, 10:57amlooking forward to this tonight - is there an early start for us slowcoaches?
Paul KevilleJul 4 2012, 12:17pmAnyone looming to car pool I'll be leaving approx 5:15 from the crumlin/drimnagh area. 086 3547433
Paul keville
Jason KehoeJul 4 2012, 12:50pmHi Anthony,

Please see my second update above.

Thanks,
Jason
anthony finnJul 4 2012, 12:56pmCheers Jason, thanks for that!
Torben DahlJul 5 2012, 8:29amThanks to Jason & Co from Crusaders for a very well organized race!! Great atmosphere at the car park and registration and good to see the registration had moved from the start place to the car park itself.

And great idea serving flapjacks at the finish line, thanks (Aoife?) Good to see some new strong people on the podium giving the rest of us a push out there, fair play to the winner who had his mountain running debut last night!

I found the route marking fine, but heard some people god lost out there (I won't mention any names O'G....) ;)

Torben
anthony finnJul 5 2012, 8:57amGreat nite, congrats to Crusaders. Will stick up a race report on my blog later in the week (ordinarytrailrunner.com)
John KellyJul 5 2012, 9:19amGreat night again.Thanks to the organisers.

One point to note. I convinced my better half to do the race last night. She is just getting into hill running and this was her 4th race ever.

After she took the early start option on her decent from trooperstown hill one the the top 20 runners went past her screaming "get out of my way". There was room on the path at this point for the runner to go past her but it was the fact she was on the persons line was the issue. When she finished the race she met 2 other early starters compaining about the same person shouting "get out of my way" at them too.

After me telling her for the last two years how great hill running is and what a great bunch of people do it this guy has put her right off doing hill running again and surely this is not what imra is about
Aoife JoyceJul 5 2012, 9:20amDelicious flapjacks were provided by Eva.
Angus TynerJul 5 2012, 9:26amI'd view it quite dangerous for early runners to jump off their line, they may get into the way!!

As you say John, there was plenty of room. I think I was in top 20, but I didn't hear the shouting from any that passed me...and there were a few!

Such a shame she's come away from the race with this experience.
Vinnie McGuinnessJul 5 2012, 9:57amGreat race last night and thanks to Crusaders AC & everyone else that helped out.

I also want to echo John point about the dude that was shouting "Get outta my way" i brought my sister along for her first ever hill race and her only complaint was about that guy shouting, I'm sure the guy didn't realize he was been so intimidating he just needs to be made aware of it and to tone it down a bit there are much more courteousness ways of letting people know that u need space or wanna overtake.
Greg ByrneJul 5 2012, 10:21amJohn, was your wife wearing a red t-shirt? If so, then this person you refer to as screaming was probably myself.

Approaching the top of Trooperstown hill we were on a narrow section of single track that descends before the last small climb and I came up behind some early starters. As the track was narrow, and in my opinion there was not enough room to 'safely' pass the early starter I gave shout from 10 metres back to let the person know I was coming (battling to try and catch 3rd place). The runner in red ignored the call and kept on her line, not even looking back to see why someone would alert her that they were coming. This section was downhill and the gap closed very quickly so a second shout was necessary. The lady then stepped off the track. The two ladies in front of her were on a slightly wider section but were running two abreast in a slightly staggered formation, stepping from side-to-side to avoid the numerous ruts and associated debris in the track, again making it difficult to safely pass at speed, but in their case only one shout alerted them, although they probably heard the early calls too... I was not shouting at them, but was warning them I was coming. Even the most experienced hill runners will go into 'tunnel vision' in such rough ground as they try to pick their path through the course. I must add that it was notable that the more experienced of the early starters stepped aside once they heard footsteps or any other signs of approach.

I don't tend to try shout while running, it can be difficult and disruptive to the hard breathing we all experience during such exertion, and while running at max effort it can be hard to control the volume. But I thought it important at the time to warn the runners in front that I was coming and that I did not see an alternative line available.

Even if these are not the incidents that were experienced by your wife John or Vinnie's sister they would seem to be an argument that early starts should be banned for their safety, as well as their enjoyment.
Warren SwordsJul 5 2012, 10:36amGreat race last night. Nice low key organisation from Crusaders ;)
A dip in the river with some flapjacks.

The DJ however...Gregorian chants before the race then Sarah Brightman singing 'Who wants to live forever' as we got back to the cars.

John KellyJul 5 2012, 10:53amMight have been her alright but a simple "Excuse me" or "comming through" would be better than "get out of my way"
Rene BorgJul 5 2012, 11:18amIt sounds like mountain running will need to find its own equivalent of "fore" or "track". Can the Committee update the race rules please ;-)

Seriously though a recognised "one word" exclamation would be best. In my experience, just yelling "runner" or "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr" seem to work best and I noticed several using the latter coming off the rocky section yesterday.
Ronan HickeyJul 5 2012, 11:47amSurely something more useful like "On your left" or "On your right" (or "Left" and "Right" if breath is short) might hint to the runner which side you want to come by on, rather than forcing them to jump off the track.

Well organised race and a beautiful evening for it, as the flies seemed to agree, but yeah the music was a little strange :-)

Ro
Brendan LawlorJul 5 2012, 11:58amGreat race, lovely evening for it - thanks to Jason, Crusaders and all other helpers.

I thought I was at an Electric Picnic rave in the forest as I got back to the car park - strange music played loudly in an outdoor setting is always welcome!
Stuart ScottJul 5 2012, 11:59amI think that's the best suggestion Ronan. If I heard on-your-left, I'd automatically move right into the dirt and leave room for someone to pass. Of course, it may be the 'other left' but it's the best way to learn!

At the same time, pre-race lessons in Rene's pirate-speak (aaaaaarrr) could be a good way to make early starters run faster, and avoid the need for an early start entirely!

Seriously though, I think the elites have a legitimate concern about early starters but at the same time a lot of these are beginners who aren't used to the way of things. A bit of common courtesy needs to prevail on both sides.
Greg ByrneJul 5 2012, 2:30pmAll the suggested phrases and “Aaaaarrrrs” are valid, and great if the person hears you or recognises the message is intended for them. “One your left, NO!!! On your right” works well for some people if there is space on the left/right, but it is also becomes very dangerous on out & back courses where you’re facing the runner.

John notes that the lady last night only heard a scream as I went past her. My first warning last night was more polite in nature, however, it was ineffective. In my opinion there was not enough room to pass, and the gap was closing very fast, I was literally on top of the lady, so without much thought my message changed… unfortunately for the ladies in front I seem to have by-passed the formalities and they only got the seemingly effective message.

What should you do if you’re not heard?

Do early starters have the right, however unintentionally, to effectively block people racing hard for a podium position?

Being stuck behind a runner, unable to overtake is all part of racing. The decision to pass is a split second one. When your relative velocities are similar it can be a difficult choice, when you relative velocities are poles apart it becomes very difficult. If the wrong decision is made, well then we’re here discussing early starters being accidentally bumped or ‘pushed’ down the hill.

Safety on the mountain should be the priority; and respect for each others safety is paramount. The last thing I wanted to do was collide with another runner, being oafish or hurting sensibilities were down the list of thoughts at the time, well below trying to catch Torban anyway.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 5 2012, 3:06pmIMRA organise “RACES” and members race. Ideally everyone should start together.
The only reason to start early is because you would keep the organisers waiting at the end for an unnecessarily long period of time. Anyone, who can finish with the main group or 5- 10 minutes after the main group should run with the main group.
For those that are not as fit/fast, it is great to have the opportunity, to run in the hills, to be around for the buzz of the race, to feel exhilarated, having run 10 km on open mountains and to enjoy the views/scenery. I love the fact the IMRA is not elitist and everyone is encouraged to run. I think it’s great the people who have been running with IMRA for years, have the opportunity to go out, do the route and enjoy, and it is also great that new people can be encouraged to come along and have that safety net of starting early, and there for not really “racing”., hence I would not be in favour of abandoning the early starts altogether.
ALL early starters should give way to any racer in the main field. A main field runner should just call “runner” and the early starter should jump out of the way. This is a “RACE”.
On a personal level, I would actually prefer the early starts, at 6.45 pm. I hate getting in people way. I would prefer to be finished/almost finished the race, before the bulk of the field come through. It seems crazy to be to have 20 – 50 slower runners, starting 20 minutes before the 200 main runners.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 5 2012, 3:07pmGreat race by the way lads. Brilliant organisation and a brilliant atmosphere. Well done to Crusaders :)
Brian O'MearaJul 5 2012, 3:17pmA polite panted 'on your left' or 'on your right' generally works. If it doesn't, run around the early starter or the slower runner, in the same way you'd run around any obstacle in the way. It's all broken ground anyway.
Rene BorgJul 5 2012, 3:20pmTeam results are up.
Michelle RowleyJul 5 2012, 3:40pmThanks to Crusaders for a great race, the flapjacks were most welcome at the end :-)
Eva FairmanerJul 5 2012, 4:03pmThe intention was to have flapjacks but when I realised that we were averaging 200 per race I took the easier option and made Ginger and Oat biscuits. My Mum is to be thanked for "rescuing" me at 3pm when I was only half way through cling-film wrapping 208 biscuits! Hats off to Jason for such a superb job in rallying the troops in such a good humoured way.
Mick HanneyJul 5 2012, 4:18pmWell done Jason, Eva and co. Another finely tuned IMRA event. The standard for events is getting set higher and higher :-)

In late June early July when we have maximum daylight do we really need early starts? Frankly its another thing the Race Director could best do without and as we are seeing here there can be safety concerns. The issue here is not the shouting runner but the early starters. Its fine on wide fire road but when you are faced with narrow single track it is an issue. More often than not if you shout at a runner ahead they can inadvertently move to block your way. You are almost better off saying nothing. If someone is new to an IMRA race they should run with the main field to gauge their abilty. Chances are they are as capable as anyone else in the field for the regular start time. As Rachel says it is a race after all.

As for the marking, the vast majority of the runners found their way. If a few runners went off track the chances are they weren't paying close enough attention. I heard a certain individual say 'who the f*** marked that' as they arrived at the end. That is just not acceptable. The marking was fine for 98% of the runners. The 2% just need to accept it and move on. If they are so concerned they could volunteer to mark a route themselves another day.
John LangenbachJul 5 2012, 4:19pmThanks Eva, both of your efforts were much appreciated! And those of Jason and the rest of the Cru crew but especially your baking. Did I say I enjoyed my finish line treat?
Paul O'GradyJul 5 2012, 5:02pmMick - I think the 2% have accepted it and moved on - judging by fact that none of them (us) have brought it up on the forum today. It happens, end of story. I dont understand this need for a post-mortum over every single little niggle. Great location - good weather - nice pub - end of story. Rehashing on the forum never improves/undoes matters.
Rene BorgJul 5 2012, 5:21pmActually, the marking was a deliberate ploy by Vivian and myself to gain some measure of revenge for 2007 when most of the field when wrong ;-)

On a constructive note regarding marking, I only demarked the course but ran over it ahead of the race as well to have a look at the marking that had been put out as I know there are several tricky spots and wanted to see how it "felt" from a runners perspective.

I think it was a perfect example of minimalist marking with plenty of highlights on tricky sections, good use of the new "turn right" signs and no comfort marking. I hope all markers will adopt a similar methodology in the future (I believe Peter begun this trend) as it makes marking/demarking quicker and increases the impact of the markers. Undermarking most of the course of overmarking critical junctions is where we need go to IMO.

diarmuid O'ColmainJul 5 2012, 5:44pmCongratulations to Jason on a very well organized event. As one of his army of helpers, I have to admit that at one point in the preparations I thought there was ever so slight a risk that the Crusaders model of race administration and customer service might be just a touch over the top. Apart from other aspects of the organization, I really felt that nobody in a race of that length could possibly want water mid-race. Mind you , I was very happy to provide the water station when Der Fuhrer so decided, and I settled down to see what would happen.

To my astonishment, about a third of the participants made use of the water. So that is an inteesting lesson learnt (and one that should also be instantly forgotten - once-off is enough - other RDs may not have the bountiful resources of Crusaders). Who's that shouting 'Bring back the Trailer' - shoot them quickly - for newer members this is a slightly historical allusion, to be explained over copious pints at the next race.

Thankfully nobody needed the mid-race First Aid station, although this may have been partly because it was cunningly disguised as a creche with 4 children of 2 years and under acting as nurses and doctors.

Once again congratulations to Jason and his merry band of Crusaders.

Paul KevilleJul 5 2012, 7:11pmTo phillip boylan, Damian Cunningham, or Andrew o connor one of ye left a pair of shorts in the booth of my car. I will most likely be in ballinastoe next week can have them for you then. Sure let me know
Paul keville
086 3547433
Dirty JocksJul 5 2012, 7:27pm@Paul Keville...are you going to wash the shorts for the mysterious owner !
anthony finnJul 5 2012, 11:22pmRace review up on my blog (http://ordinarytrailrunner.com) for those looking to kill 3 mins or so! Craicing night, well done again. Looking forward to Ballinatoe.
Rene BorgJul 7 2012, 10:11amAscent video now available in our archive:

http://www.championseverywhere.com/video-archive

Warning, it's hi-res so best pre-load to watch to avoid being annoyed. The first part is an intro to the course.

Descend video almost uploaded, will post it at same link shortly. A few other mountain running videos (Seefingan etc.) available on the page too.
damien cunninghamJul 8 2012, 1:08pm@ Paul Keville - I think those are mine, hope to be at Ballinastoe next week also- ill get them off you then.
Cheers
Damien
Rene BorgJul 12 2012, 11:47amFinally got up the video of the descent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4r3GlyVJ8&feature=youtu.be
Rene BorgJul 12 2012, 11:47amFinally got up the video of the descent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4r3GlyVJ8&feature=youtu.be
John FitzgeraldJul 12 2012, 7:36pm I ran the full course finishing just ahead of Henny.
I'm down for the short course-can my result be corrected please.