Irish Mountain
Running Association

Djouce Solstice Run

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorNov 18 2014, 8:31amThis years Solstice is on Sunday 21st December - the Solstice run will take place up Djouce on Sunday 21st December at 7pm - more details to follow. Not an official IMRA event
Caoimhin MacMaolainNov 18 2014, 12:30pmThanks for this Brendan. Will definitely be there. Absolutely loved this last year.
Niamh O'CeallaighNov 19 2014, 11:00amLooking forward to it Brendan!
New head torch ordered.
William YoungNov 19 2014, 8:52pmSounds interesting? Can anyone come? How many km?
Brendan LawlorNov 19 2014, 10:16pmHi all

Heres more information..

The route starts at the Ballinastoe car park,(Grid Reference O 194 077) then goes up into that forest with an immediate right hand turn, up the fire road for about 400m and then take a left up the fire break, cross the fire road again, and up track and out onto open mountain. Follow track up until you meet Wicklow Way, right on WW up onto White Hill and then on up to top of Djouce. Up and back is about 9km approx and should take between 60-80 minutes and people can turn back at White Hill if they have enough at that stage.

Bring headtorch, high viz jacket and don't get lost on us!(Rachel, ahem!)

Afterwards we will be heading to a Roundwood pub for a Christmas pint.

Please post here if you plan to come along , so we have some idea of numbers and if you arrive a bit late just head out following the route described and you'll soon find us up there somewhere

Not an official IMRA event, so no insurance, no first aid etc etc.
Tim ChapmanNov 20 2014, 6:51amAlways a classic, I'll be there.
James H CahillNov 20 2014, 10:30amLooking forward to it.I'll be there
Stuart ScottNov 20 2014, 11:11amMe too, it's a very festive way to end the year and the previous week's mince pies and pints are useful when it comes to not being blown off that boardwalk! Thanks Brendan for organising as usual.
Kevin O'RiordanNov 20 2014, 11:26amI'm in too.
James ClancyNov 20 2014, 4:21pmAlways a great night, keen, thanks a mil
Jason DowlingNov 20 2014, 9:08pmWhat better way to finish off a great year. A nice run followed by a nice pint. I'll be there.
Mike JordanNov 20 2014, 11:43pmHoping to make it. Maike too!
Rachel CinnsealachNov 20 2014, 11:44pmI'll be there Brendan, and I won't get lost this year!!!! I was over confident last year, and thought... "sure I could do this route, with my eyes shut!!!!!" Just goes to show, it's easy to go off track in the dark :)
Diarmuid O'ColmainNov 21 2014, 2:54pmI hope to get there (walking so I'll start early.

I think I'll try with my eyes shut - maybe I'll meet Rachel in a parallel universe phase shifted from last year.
Jeff FitzsimonsNov 21 2014, 3:50pmPlan to make it. For my first IMRA run of the year, even if it is an unofficial one!
Stephen BrennanNov 21 2014, 5:36pmI'll be there!
Philip BrennanNov 22 2014, 9:11pmBeidh mise ann freisin
Conor BuckleyNov 25 2014, 2:28pmHi,

I will be going
Rosie LeavyNov 25 2014, 2:41pmHi
Myself and Maebh Monahan will be there.
James CurranNov 27 2014, 12:46pmWill be there
Anthony O'ReillyNov 27 2014, 2:26pmI'll be there. Are Santa hats mandatory?
Brendan LawlorDec 1 2014, 1:27pmSo you are all depressed now because Run the Line and Powerscourt Ridge are over and its 6 weeks or more until the Winter League starts - well never fear, we will be galloping up Djouce on Sunday 21st December at 7pm for the annual Solstice Run, sponsored as usual by Continuity IMRA - (ie not an official IMRA event, no marking, no insurance, noone looking after you but yourself)

Headtorch essential, hi viz recommended - Xmas pint in the Coach House afterwards.

Please post here if you are coming along so we have some idea of numbers
Mick HanneyDec 1 2014, 1:30pmI hope to be there.
Cheers,
Mick
John Ryan PrestonDec 1 2014, 1:35pmPlanning to be there,
John
Dominic O'HanlonDec 1 2014, 5:16pmYes, I'll be there.
Michael HeatlyDec 1 2014, 6:16pmI will be there :-)
Alice ClancyDec 1 2014, 7:58pmThanks Brendan, this sounds great! I'll be there.
Alice
Tina BerginDec 1 2014, 10:05pmCount me in
Pól Ó MurchúDec 1 2014, 10:36pmShould make it along.
Angela FlynnDec 3 2014, 10:42pmHope to be there thanks Brendan
Diarmuid O'ColmainDec 9 2014, 10:50amPol

I'll h ave your gloves in the car on the night.
Diarmuid
Richard NunanDec 9 2014, 2:20pmPol,

Have you got my sticks, can you bring them..
Pól Ó MurchúDec 9 2014, 7:20pmNope Zoran has...returned to him some weeks ago...
Sandra ColebornDec 10 2014, 4:08pmMyself and Desie Shorten hope to be there.
Karen DevenneyDec 10 2014, 8:09pmCount me in too please
Ronan HickeyDec 10 2014, 11:56pmCount me in as well, thanks. In fact for the Mince Pies section of the evening I probably count as a team entry by myself.

Ronan
Julie HarkinDec 11 2014, 2:21pmSounds good!!
Brendan LawlorDec 14 2014, 7:26pmLooks like we will have 20-30 along to this as usual - please post here if you plan to come along so we have some idea of numbers for the pub etc

Thanks again in advance to Brian Lawlor of the CoachHouse for organising the mince pies
John CondonDec 14 2014, 7:53pmI'll be heading up as well. If anyone needs a lift up from greystones I'm more than happy to drive up.
Laurence ColleranDec 15 2014, 11:30amLooking forward to it.
Richard ChurchDec 15 2014, 1:02pmCount me in as a probable please..just to make sure there are enough mince pies!
David MoranDec 16 2014, 6:06pmCount me in, thanks.
Liam CannonDec 17 2014, 9:41amI'm keen to do this, if there's a possibility of a lift down and back from town or anywhere along the DART line?
Alice ClancyDec 18 2014, 4:45pmHi there,
Is anyone able to carpool to the solstice run from City Centre/dart/Luas?
Thanks!
Alice
Ruth LynamDec 19 2014, 8:40amDon & I will be there
Ronan KingDec 20 2014, 9:37amCOUNT ME IN
Siobhain DugganDec 21 2014, 3:08pmI'm planning to do this, my sister Fiona as well! Looking forward to it!!
stephen CollerDec 21 2014, 4:56pmill be there
Ronan HickeyDec 21 2014, 11:57pmGreat run tonight. I was fairly knocked about by the wind on the boardwalk section and it wasn't obvious whether I was touching the Trig point at Djouce or clinging to it for safety but all good fun! A few scoops in the Coachhouse and that dietary lynch pin of all endurance athletes, the Garlic Cheese Chips, and it's the end of another year. Thanks Brendan for putting it on and see yiz all next year!
Diarmuid O'ColmainDec 22 2014, 12:21amtotal utter lunacy!!!!

Can't believe so many people need to be locked up ! But of course they don't know the conditions will be savage, when starting from the nice car park

Next year? I've booked a Spa well in advance! I know - I've sold out to the girls, so what's wrong with that! Girls, you are welcome to an intelligent version of the Solstice next year.
Alice ClancyDec 22 2014, 9:35amThanks for a brilliant and pretty exhilarating run last night Brendan!!! You managed to rustle up some lovely gale force winds to test our appetite for mince pies! Never has it been so tricky to just stay on the boardwalk!!!
Brendan LawlorDec 22 2014, 9:37am'And the wind blows right through you, its no place for the old' ...large numbers of lunatics braved the howling winds of Djouce ridge for last nights Solstice run - all made it back in one piece to the warm comfort of the CoachHouse.

FOUND - one pair of ladies Inov8 runners - contact me if you left them behind

Happy Christmas everyone !
Jim FitzharrisDec 22 2014, 11:10amField of Dreams.

“If you build it, they will come ………”

And so it proved. Brendan inspired quite a few mad men and women to run, crawl and stagger to the top of Djouce last night.

I do not think I have ever experienced wind like it!

I was one of the walkers and it was almost surreal coming down off the summit in the fine misty drizzle to see a long line of “dancing lights” making their way up the mountain!

Now as for the eponymous mince pies ……….

Early in 2015, an independent Tribunal of Inquiry into the Mystery of the Missing Mince Pies will start its work in Dublin Castle as soon as a suitably-qualified retired High Court judge can be found to chair it and the appropriate list of witnesses is drawn up.

Paul Mahon has already turned State’s evidence having admitted to purloining one of the aforesaid mince pies without ever setting foot on the blasted heath that leads to the summit of Djouce. He will be spared the wrath of the Gods.

To those of you who took more than one mince pie, we know who you are and where you live …….

Were it not for a tasty morsel of Mary O'Colmain's Xmas cake, one of Maike’s lovely biscuits and a slice of Rachel’s luscious banana bread, I would ne’er have had the sustenance to drive home ……..
Ronan HickeyDec 22 2014, 11:25amWere those lady's inov8 runners found on the boardwalk by any chance? If so I may have seen the lady as she was lifted off and borne Northwards. A salutary warning to always get LL Prize jackets which are a snug fit. I'm fairly confident given her last observed altitude and rate of ascent that she would have cleared the top of Djouce, so maybe enquiries should be made in the Enniskerry area where I reckon she might have made landfall.
Stuart ScottDec 22 2014, 11:39amThere might be a case there in having the mince pies before the run then Ronan! Luckily I'd been 'training' all weekend and had no such trouble.
Rachel CinnsealachDec 22 2014, 11:52amAh Jim, Credit for the luscious banana bread goes to Orla McEvoy, and you are right, it was lovely. Mince pies? Did they exist? great evening, pretty extreme on those board walks, loved the atmosphere in the coach house afterwards. Thanks for organising Brendan.
Liam CannonDec 22 2014, 1:32pmReally enjoyed this, even if at times it was right on the line between exhilarating and terrifying.

Many thanks to James Curran providing transport.
James ClancyDec 22 2014, 2:22pmFantastic evening thanks a mil for organising Brendan. Amazing watching the bobbing lights heading up and down the mountain. I felt at times the "weather" was testing us to see if we deserved a drink and a bite to eat after....??!!! Atmosphere in the pub after was very festive..... Roll on 2015!!
Philip BrennanDec 22 2014, 8:30pm"Battle of the Boardwalks" - not sure if anyone manage to avoid being blown off it last night, "crouched down like Quasimodo I scuttled along desperately fighting the wind for survival"

Great craic & thanks for organising Bren
Anne HodgeDec 22 2014, 10:43pmExhilarating!!! Wild wind, completely mad but great fun. Thanks Brendan. Looking forward to the winter league!!
Gavan DohertyJan 7 2015, 3:42pmsomewhat late but a bit topical given the day that's in it:

according to
http://www.thejournal.ie/wind-energy-record-1850255-Dec2014/

last Sunday 21st December at 8:15pm was Ireland's highest wind energy output.... hmmm, now where were we when all that happened?