Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mick Kellett RIP

AuthorDateMessage
Patrick RyanDec 26 2014, 1:17pmFolks, I just heard the sad news that Mick Kellett passed away during the night. Mick has been a continuous supporter of IMRA events and will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family. Rest in peace.
Paul O'GradyDec 26 2014, 1:35pmMy condolences to Derek and the Kellets.

Mick was a true gentleman and an IMRA legend.

May he rest in peace.
Paul SmythDec 26 2014, 2:13pmHill-running and orienteering events won't be the same without him. Such a great guy. My condolences to his family.

Paul
James HigginsDec 26 2014, 2:46pmPaul has summed it up in a sentence. Mick was a true gentleman and an IMRA legend. He always had a friendly word for everyone.
May he rest in peace.
Ronan HickeyDec 26 2014, 3:06pmRIP Mick. A legend who spent his life in the hills. An amazing man who especially loved the longer gnarlier races. He will be sorely missed.
Aidan BligheDec 26 2014, 3:40pmMick was such an inspirational person, to be running up galtymore and similar at his age was amazing to so many, will be sadly missed
Mick HanneyDec 26 2014, 4:41pmRIP Mick. Condolences to his family.
A great character and lovely man.
A true loss for the IMRA community.
Gerard CunninghamDec 26 2014, 6:05pmCondolences to Derek and family. Mick was one of the real characters of the outdoors community and leaves a fantastic legacy not least through the hundreds of youngsters he introduced to the outdoors. RIP Mick - "ni fheicfimid do leitheid aris"
Kevin O'RiordanDec 26 2014, 6:59pmRIP Mick. A big loss to the IMRA and orienteering communities.
John BrennanDec 26 2014, 7:40pmRIP Mick.
John GreeneDec 26 2014, 7:54pmSorry to hear of Mick's passing. I remember him bombing past me up Slieve Donard in 2010 belying his age and setting a great example to every aspiring hill runner.
Richard NunanDec 26 2014, 8:49pmOne of the real ones, a legend. R.I.P Mick. Condolences to Derek and family.
Aidan RoeDec 26 2014, 11:31pmToo easy we see the word 'legend' used, but Mick most definitely fit the bill. Our races will be duller without him. Thoughts are with Derek and rest of the family.
Aido.
Stuart ScottDec 27 2014, 12:34amMick was an inspiration and had an amazing influence on the orienteering, hill running and mountain rescue communities. I would've liked to have heard a lot more of his stories, and found out exactly what was in that pipe! Condolences to Derek and the rest of Mick's family.

Stuart
Moire O'SullivanDec 27 2014, 7:56amReally sad to hear the news. Amongst the many great memories of Mick that I have is one when I came home from abroad one summer and spectated at the Galtees race. I was standing on one of the summits, and when Mick saw me, he ran over, adjourned his race for an instant, and just gave me a big 'welcome home' hug. He will be sadly missed.
Jason KehoeDec 27 2014, 10:34amSad to hear this news. Mick always had an encouraging word to say during the heat of battle on the hills in his gravelly voice and afterwards at the pub he would happily recount his own battles and racing strategy used. Lots of fond memories which I'll be thinking about on my run today.

Jason
Adrian Tucker RIPDec 27 2014, 11:39amCondolences to the Kellet Family and all who mourne Mick's loss. A true Gent, he will be sadly missed.
Paul NolanDec 27 2014, 12:06pmThe stories have finally dried up.

Thoughts are with Brenda, Derek, Peter, Kevin, Joanna and the extended Kellett family.
Brendan LawlorDec 27 2014, 12:45pmThe outdoor community in Ireland has lost one of its most colourful, warm, friendly and lovely characters.His work in mountain rescue, his enthusiasm for mountain running and orienteering and his warm happy nature were appreciated by all who had the luck to know him. We will all miss him greatly and condolences to Derek and all the Kellett family -Ní beidh a leithéid ann arís
Caitlín & Joe BentDec 27 2014, 7:57pmHave known Mick for what seems like forever: his earlier days in Mountain Rescue in An Óige, Orienteering and of course - Hillrunning. How could you not like him - he had a charm all his own. Condolences to Brenda, Derek and all the family.
Ronan HickeyDec 29 2014, 4:03pmFrom rip.ie (http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=243445/Mick%20(Junior)RAHENY/Raheny/Dublin)

KELLETT, Mick (Junior) - Dec. 26, 2014, (Grange Park, Raheny, A founding member of Dublin / Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team and member of GEN, Orienteering and Hill Running Club) (Peacefully), at his home, beloved husband of Brenda; sadly missed by his loving family, his sons Derek, Peter and Kevin, daughter Joanna, daughter-in-law Anne Marie, grand-children Jakob, Stephen, Joseph, Jamie and Eden, brother and sisters, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, extended family and many friends.

Reposing at his home this Tuesday from 5 o’c. to 9 o’c. Removal on Wednesday morning to St. Benedict’s Church, Grange Park, Raheny arriving for 10 o’c. Funeral Mass followed by Cremation in Glasnevin Crematorium. Family flowers only please, donations if desired to St. Francis Hospice, Raheny or The Dublin / Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team.