Irish Mountain
Running Association

Snowdon General Entry

AuthorDateMessage
Gordon PlaceMay 8 2017, 4:22pmIs anyone going to Snowdon? Has anyone gone before and managed it in a day trip?
Rene BorgMay 8 2017, 4:29pmI've gone many times Gordon but never as a day trip - the Irish team usually go over Friday and come back Sunday but I have heard of a group from here who brought their bikes on the ferry, biked to Llanberis and biked home the same evening - you'd need to check the ferry times as that'll be your main constraint. It's only 40 minutes from Hollyhead to Llanberis and the race is late in the day.
Gordon PlaceMay 8 2017, 4:59pmThanks Rene. The bike idea did cross my mind..... very briefly!

It looks doable as a day trip, just might be a bit tight on the way over depending on registration and parking etc.

Weighing up whether to just go as a foot passenger the night before.
Ian ConroyMay 8 2017, 5:35pmHi Gordon, I've cycled to Holyhead from Llanberis (the opposite way I know) and it's not an easy cycle and a bit long and packed with traffic at times so wouldn't recommend it the day of the race especially as Snowdon is a tough one! As a day trip it's doable as you could get the ferry, then a train to Bangor and a bus from there to the race start (the bus usually stops right where the race start/finish is so not sure how that'll work race day. If you want to cycle, I’d say you should bring a tent, cycle the day before and pitch up in the campsite about two miles from race start, get the first ferry of the Friday morning too. This means you could enjoy the festivities the Saturday night and then cycle home a little worse for wear the Sunday :) Anyway, I hope that’s given you food for thought- have you entered the race yet?
Paul SmythMay 8 2017, 5:40pmIf you haven't entered then you've missed the cut-off as entries have closed.
Gordon PlaceMay 8 2017, 5:58pmThanks Ian.
I have an entry.
I think the cycle idea is out of the picture now. Think it'll be a camp the night before job. The day trip is very tight looking going by public transport, getting to the start on time anyway. Saying about 1 hr 45, depends on how well the train and bus line up as they are both hourly I think.
Ian ConroyMay 8 2017, 6:27pmI might see you over there then Gordon, as I may opt for the Supercup (uphill only). A bit of a risk but a little known fact (not any more) is that you can pick up a few entries on the day. You wait until registration is closed on the day and then they'll sell off the numbers of the people who haven't arrived/checked in. Bit of a risk though!
Gordon PlaceMay 9 2017, 10:20pmHope you get an entry so Ian, I'm sure there's a few people jump in so as not to miss the cut-off and then don't make it. Deadline for name transfer is 15th June, need to decide by then myself!!
Niamh O'CeallaighMay 10 2017, 3:19pmGordan,
We have done it in a day a couple of times. Got ferry over on the morning, hired a car and got late ferry home that night. Timing worked out grand and most importantly, we made it to Pete's Eats for a pint of tea and sticky toffee pudding.
Gordon PlaceMay 10 2017, 3:48pmThanks Niamh, I'll check out car hire again. I looked quickly yesterday at a few sites but couldn't get a quote due to return drop off being after 1pm, I think one did with an extra charge of £50. Might as well just drive over at that rate.
Peter O'FarrellJul 14 2017, 12:00pmThe Irish Team for Snowdon this year are;

James Kevan
Brian Furey
Greg Byrne
Pat Foley

James leads the line and now finds himself in a senior team role having been a near constant presence on International teams recently. Brian as a multiple Irish champion and has also been on many recent teams.
Greg and Pat come to their first international vests through strong recent performances on the Irish hills with Pat gaining a recent breakthrough win on Sorrell Hill. Greg takes the more circuitous route, winning the Adrian Tucker inspired 70km Ticktock Tick Tock and acting as team manager on the long distance championships.

The moral of the story is, you too can represent your country!

Unfortunately the ladies are unable to race Snowdon this year due to the close proximity of the European and World Championships. This is a huge pity as Irish ladies named Sarah have dominated Snowdon for the last 4 years.
Gordon PlaceJul 14 2017, 12:56pmWith Tommy Galvin, Niamh & Cormac O Ceallaigh, and myself making up the... eh... B-Team by the looks of the entry list..

Good luck everyone!
Andrew HanneyJul 14 2017, 1:03pmGood luck to team Ireland and all the other IMRA runners heading over. Have a great time!
Andrew HanneyJul 19 2017, 8:44pmSnowdon highlights on tonight at 11pm on S4C, repeated on Sunday.