Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay

AuthorDateMessage
Declan KennyFeb 28 2023, 3:40pmOn the Wicklow Way Relay page, it says runners must have 2022 IMRA membership. Does this mean new members in 2023 are not permitted to take part? Thanks.
Declan KennyFeb 28 2023, 3:49pmOkay, just re-read that page, and I guess these are last year's details, so hopefully this means we're all good. :-)
Rene BorgFeb 28 2023, 8:39pmhi Declan - yes that's right. any team that manages to sign up before the spots are gone are good to go with 2023 memberships.

a date will be communicated with several warnings of when we open registrations. It's usually in mid to late April.
Declan KennyMar 1 2023, 7:24pmMany thanks.
Jason KehoeMar 20 2023, 2:23pm20th Edition of the Wicklow Way Relay:

Event page details are now fully up to date.

The registration process begins at 14:00 on Friday, April 21st, 2023. Captains should start organising their squad and if you are a lone runner you can advertise your availability here on the forum.

Many thanks,
Jason, Rene, Bill
Robert AsherMar 21 2023, 1:56pmThanks guys! Looking forward to it. By the way the plotaroute profile for leg 1 on the page is showing the full Wicklow Way route, not just leg 1
Rene BorgMar 21 2023, 4:01pmhi Robert, the plotaroute was created to show the 8 legs together as a 'collection' which is probably the reason (I think the link may be to the collection and then you have to click leg 1 to see it)

if you use this direct link it should fix that problem: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1845689
Bill HallidenMar 27 2023, 10:43amHi all Team Capts (this is particularly relevant for any new teams). As per normal all teams will have to nominate parking marshals for one or more change over points. Once the entry list is completed I will assign change over points to each team and this should assist you in planning your logistics. The marshal can be a runner from a previous leg but should not be the nominated runner for the next leg. I will send on more specific marshal instructions once entries are complete
Sean Sheridan-O'GormanApr 12 2023, 11:03amGoing by last year I'm sure I'll be the first of many that will be posting!

If any teams are looking for an extra pair of legs on June 10th I'm your man (Unfortunately not female or over 40!). I know the reg is next next Friday, I'll leave my number below if anyone wants to get in touch.

Cheers,
Seán
Rene BorgApr 14 2023, 2:23pmTOP WICKLOW WAY RELAYERS

I will sprinkle a few historical tid-bits about the race into this thread as we draw nearer to the 20th Edition over the coming 2 months.

Below are all the IMRA Runners who have run more than 10 relay legs currently in the event's history. A list of 18 runners can potentially join this list this year.

Row Labels Count of Category
John MacEnri 21
Mike Long 16
Brendan Lawlor 16
Des Noonan 15
Eoin Keith 14
Emma Sokell 14
Derek Charles 13
Brendan Murphy 13
Terry Lawless 12
Tommy Galvin 12
Paul Mahon 12
Martin Price 12
Emma McAuley 12
Hazel Thompson 12
Maureen Lowther 11
John Rowe 11
Gerry Lalor 11
Declan Swords 11
Brian Cully 11
Brian Phelan 11
Bob Lawlor 11
Seamus Kilcullen RIP 10
Rosemary Monahan 10
Zoe Melling 10
Patrick Marshall 10
Niamh O'Ceallaigh 10
Martin Francis 10
Gareth Little 10
Ger Power 10
Greg Byrne 10
Dermot Murphy 10
Derek Livingstone 10
Colleen Robinson 10
Cormac O’Ceallaigh 10
Brendan Doherty RIP 10
Ann Tobin 10
Caroline Reid 10

For individual legs the most runs on each leg are:

Leg 1: Amidou Dembele, Derek Charles and Nadya Dunne (8)
leg 2: Tommy Galvin (12)
Leg 3: Seamus Kilcullen RIP (10)
Leg 4: Ken Devlin and Ger Power (7)
Leg 5: Brian Phelan (11)
Leg 6: Ben Mooney (8)
Leg 7: Brian Furey and Declan Swords (7)
Leg 8: Maureen Lowther (6)
Jeff SwordsApr 14 2023, 2:51pmAnd if I recall correctly 3 of Gareth's entries were on the one day!
Rachel CinnsealachApr 14 2023, 3:12pmWow, I thought I'd be there, But I've only done it 8 times. I've missed a few in more recent years. Time to get back to it!
Gareth LittleApr 14 2023, 4:24pmCorrect Jeff. We had a team of 3 back in 2013. We came a respectable 20th place!

https://imra.ie/events/view/id/1037
Rene BorgApr 15 2023, 9:04amGot a few queries of the list with a few people missing or undercounted.

I am checking the file over the weekend but first of all I noticed, the 2022 results were missing from the file which means anyone who ran last year will be bumped up one. We check the file for any issues to prepare it ahead of each year's event, so once that's done I'll post an updated list.
Robert CostelloApr 15 2023, 8:57pmI’m on 9. Will be cool to get a 10th on the 20th anniversary. Looking forward to this one.
Mick HanneyApr 15 2023, 9:15pmA different, yet more complete picture, would also include those that have volunteered at the WWR. That mightn't be easy to do mind...
Jason KehoeApr 17 2023, 2:39pmQuick reminder that registration opens this Friday for the 20th edition of the WWR!

Thanks!

Jason
Diana Whelan PorterApr 18 2023, 10:19pmHi,
I have just read the info on registering a team but am a little unclear about whether the form with team details needs to be completed at the time of registration or whether this can be done later?
Thanks,
Diana
Jason KehoeApr 18 2023, 10:48pmHi Diana,

"Team captains are required to purchase a team registration for a standard price of €150.00, regardless of team size. After purchasing team registration, captains must declare their team using the following online form: https://form.jotform.com/220933701134042. "

So the most important step is to purchase your entry and then worry about declaring your placeholder team after that step is done.

Thanks,
Jason
Diana Whelan PorterApr 19 2023, 8:29amThanks Jason, and is it that which we have up to 12th of May to do? The statement says ‘Teams will be listed on the forum no later than 12th May, 2023” and I wasn’t sure what forum meant in this context. Or should it read ‘form’?
Rene BorgApr 19 2023, 8:33amHi Diane, essentially you need to submit your 'first draft' team to which you can make changes until 5 pm the day before the race through another form we will share a link to.

any changes made after 5 pm on June 9th will result in a team running non-competitively
David PowerApr 19 2023, 9:14amWhat's the speed limit for the GPS trackers? They have been known to head off at 50kmph down the road from Glenmalure Lodge, forgotten in someone's pocket after the "handover." Once we don't end up with this situation :-)
Surely we've no Usain Bolt's on a leg, so 30kmph max???
https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2023/0419/1377829-ultra-marathon-runner-disqualified-after-using-car/
Jason KehoeApr 21 2023, 2:35pmNot bad! 8 entries sold in first 60 seconds! 27 of the 35 sold after 5 mins, quicker uptake than last year. 30 sold after 15mins. Just 5 left as of this post.

JK
Turlough ConwayApr 21 2023, 5:11pmGiving error. All entries taken?
Jason KehoeApr 21 2023, 5:36pmYes there's an issue Turlough, the last two entries seem to be stuck in error limbo.

I will hold your entry (Raheny Shamrocks) as well as Brothers Pearse who also contacted me.

So that's the 2023 edition officially sold out!

Thanks,
Jason
Turlough ConwayApr 21 2023, 6:04pmThanks Jason!
Kevin ToherApr 21 2023, 9:36pmHi all assume it's a long shot but if anybody needs another man non vet, for a leg or two of the race I'd love to join, I couldn't rustle up a team myself. It's Kevin and number is 0863716828.
Elaine LeeApr 23 2023, 7:18pmHi. Does leg 6 follow the Wicklow Way route all the way? The OSI map shows the route going along the Military road for a while instead of the Wicklow Way. Thanks
Mick HanneyApr 23 2023, 8:40pmI would suggest that this particular section of single track on leg 6 is less runnable than previous years and the rule should simply be run the road - same benefit for all.

That, or have a marshal n place to ensure a consistency of route for leading teams.
Rene BorgApr 26 2023, 4:53pmElaine the default position is that the Wicklow Way Relay follows the Wicklow Way as it is marked on the day (that means if the evening before the race, the OPW put a diversion in place then that must be followed).

This means if any map (including OSI) contradicts the actual Wicklow Way marking then the 'on the ground' marking must be followed.

In terms of Leg 6, race director will review it as there are many pros and cons such as taking sections in and out could lead to a precedent we don't want to set. A marshal could be a good solution (if the manpower is available) and if it doesn't lead to escalations.

The slowness itself is not a major problem as there are a few rough sections on most of the legs but I did watch a video Graham Bush did up there recently and it probably is the faintest and least obvious path of the entire Wicklow Way (although possibly now so infamous it will not be forgotten by any team serious about winning the relay)
Rene BorgMay 1 2023, 9:38am18 of the 35 registered teams have submitted their provisional team rosters. Can all other teams please complete the form in the next 24 hours with your current line-up (you can change later) so we can post the provisional start list.
Rene BorgMay 3 2023, 5:17pmProvisional details of the 31 teams (out of 35) that have submitted their details so far can be viewed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/97rrwpiwf27vpcdv0wt1b/WICKLOW_WAY_RELAY_2023_ENTRY_FO2023-05-03_12_10_11.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=42qnqor7woi256t0ucy2nli34
Andrew HanneyMay 4 2023, 1:45pmGreat list of teams there although I think some clubs should really be putting their name as 'X' AC and friends. Unless there's been some big money club transfers in the last few days.
Mick HanneyMay 4 2023, 2:24pmre: Leg 6.
- The 'track' here is less obvious than before, and the signpost is still misleading as its so close to the road.
- A marshal would be good. Last year, in my opinion, there were too many marshals at my CP for parking, so one could be re-allocated I would suggest.
- As I'm volunteering at the Ironbridge CP I would prefer if the leg didn't become a talking point, as it was last year, lol.
Richard FoxMay 4 2023, 2:51pmNo way Jose (sorry Mick). Leave ‘em off to their own devices. Where’s the craic in telling us that we’ve gone wrong while we’re going wrong - much better in the pub later. All getting far too PC with Marshall’s all over the shop etc etc. Anyhow wasn’t there not a sort of a Marshall up there last year? How else did ye know that a heap of people went wrong?
foxy
Brendan LawlorMay 4 2023, 4:05pmHere , here Richard.. leg 6 provided lots of entertainment last year including the appearance of the elusive Foxy lady who I believe caused much of the distraction and people going wrong etc on that leg.

Will we be treated to another 'vision in pink' this year perhaps ?!
Richard FoxMay 4 2023, 4:42pmNaw Bren. Following the demise of the fabulous Barry Humphries (younger folk check out Dame Edna) I’ve decided to hang up my tu tu too (as well even). However if leg 6 needs a bit of a boost in future - ‘cause everyone now knows the correct way to Amarillo , then maybe a reprise might be in order.
See y/all on the 10th where, hopefully, we’ll have lots to talk about
Cheers
foxy
David PowerMay 5 2023, 8:30amAt this stage, I enjoy the build-up to the WWR more than the day itself. Intrigue, speculation, poker faces, red herrings, chess pieces, club vs county, transfer deadline day, injuries + rehab, subs bench, the magic M40 spaces, the F runners, the player/manager dilemma (do I pick myself?), will I get the sack?, interim manager til end of the season, etc.
Warren SwordsMay 5 2023, 10:10amHow do you make changes to the teams? Is it a case of submitting the form again or how is it done?

Glad to see Leg 6 already the subject of discussion. I'd be in favour of no marshals. Perhaps we could show the strava flyby of Leg 6 runners on the big screen in the Dying Cow at the end of the race. It'll be like VAR but only much more controversial.
Rene BorgMay 5 2023, 10:26amWarren, when you submitted your team an email confirmation was sent to the email given for the form. There is a link to 'edit form' - this is the only way to edit the submission.

If you have lost this email then you can resubmit from scratch.
Rene BorgMay 5 2023, 10:30amFoxy: the reason people were 'found out' on leg 6 yesterday was because a team captain reported a runner he had seen deviate. This led to a series of events that forced the race organisation to review all Primal Tracking routes and verify against Garmin/Strava files to determine how many teams had made the error which led to a total of 10 teams becoming non-competitive - eight for this error and two for other errors.
David PowerMay 5 2023, 10:44amI like the VAR idea in the pub - or maybe live drone footage for spectators to watch (like when the golfer in the USA got reported for a penalty by guy sitting on his couch at home).
Or maybe we could ask the NPWS to put a nice narrow electric fence on both sides of the WW on that stretch. Any deviating runner would get a nice sharp reminder should they touch the fence.
Finally, maybe a statue immortalising the 2022 fiasco, on the very spot, like the Metal Man in Tramore, warning all ships of pending danger on the cliffs.
Alan KennedyMay 5 2023, 11:06amHa ha this keeps getting better. The Running Man movie anyone? (showing my age). This will be my first WWR and if this years race goes off without a hitch I'll be very disappointed
Richard FoxMay 5 2023, 12:13pmand there was I thinking I was the only deviate out there last year with my flaming orange red hair flowing like the Orinoco Flow and me pink tu tu - obviously nothing to do with pronouns etc just awful colour matching. Anyway now I hear there were a heap of deviates hidden in plain sight, 10 of them - Jayney Mac but maybe we could make up a couple of deviates teams? For that I’d deffo consider reprising the flaming orange red hair and tu tu and might even use a bitta lippy to bring it all together. Any of you deviates - and ye know who ye are - fancy making up a couple of proper teams? I wonder what we might call the teams? Any thoughts?
hehehe foxy
Rene BorgMay 6 2023, 8:36amThe team file has been updated with a few edits and three more teams (34 provisional teams out of the 35 signed up are now listed in the team)
Rene BorgMay 9 2023, 11:11amLeg 2 missing markers

For leg 2 runners it is worth noting that Wicklow Way markers currently appear to be missing at two points on their route:

- Near the Knockree Hostel where you have to take a sharp left through the trees around an iron gate and down the grassy bank to the river (just about 3 km in)
- As you emerge on the short road bit leading towards the Crone Wood car park (no visible left turn arrow) - around 4.7 k in
Rene BorgMay 28 2023, 7:05pmPlease find the current start list for all teams:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4f0dyrrl74s2ao/WWR%20Start%20List.xlsx?dl=0

Note there are still quite a few empty entries in our database for IMRA numbers. Remember each member needs an IMRA number to be competitive on the day and to show up on the results.

Submitters of the team details can edit details by using the link in the confirmation email you received when you first submitted the form OR you can re-enter everything from scratch (if you lost the email)
Rene BorgMay 30 2023, 11:18amI got the results file updated with 2022 results, so here is the revised list of those who have rounded 10 or more races in the Relay along with the group who will make that list this year if they run:

Name Races run
John MacEnri 21
Brendan Lawlor 17
Mike Long 16
Des Noonan 16
Emma Sokell 14
Eoin Keith 14
Paul Mahon 13
Emma McAuley 13
Derek Charles 13
Brendan Murphy 13
Tommy Galvin 12
Terry Lawless 12
Martin Price 12
Hazel Thompson 12
Declan Swords 12
Rosemary Monahan 11
Maureen Lowther 11
John Rowe 11
Greg Byrne 11
Gareth Little 11
Gerry Lalor 11
Caroline Reid 11
Bob Lawlor 11
Ann Tobin 11
Brian Cully 11
Brian Phelan 11
Zoe Melling 10
Seamus Kilcullen RIP 10
Patrick Marshall 10
Niamh O'Ceallaigh 10
Martin Francis 10
Jarlath Hynes 10
Ger Power 10
Dermot Murphy 10
Derek Livingstone 10
Colleen Robinson 10
Cormac O’Ceallaigh 10
Brendan Doherty RIP 10
------------------NEARLY THERE!-------------------------
Turlough Conway 9
Sean Hassett 9
Rachel Wisdom 9
Robin Brady 9
Roisin McDonnell 9
Nadya Dunne 9
Pat Quill 9
James Cottle 9
Jean Bader 9
Eoin Dunne 9
Dermot Nolan 9
Dave Weston 9
Deirdre Ni Chearbhaill 9
Alan Byrne 9
Amidou Dembele 9
Brendan O’Brien 9
Alison Underwood 9
Brian Furey 9
Angus Tyner 9
Alan Lawlor 9
Ben Mooney 9
Barry Minnock 9
Rene BorgMay 30 2023, 11:23amIn terms of most runs on each leg they are:

leg 1: Nadya Dunne, Derek Charles and Amidou Dembele (8)
leg 2: Tommy Galvin (12) and Valerie Glavin (3)
leg 3: Seamus Kilcullen RIP (10)
leg 4: Ken Devlin and Ger Power (7)
leg 5: Brian Phelan (11) and Roisin McDonnell (4)
leg 6: Ben Mooney (9) and Alison Underwood (7)
leg 7: Declan Swords (8) and Maureen Lowther (4)
leg 8: Maureen Lowther (6) and Sean Hassett (4)
Rene BorgMay 30 2023, 11:32amAnd finally how do male / female runners divide over the legs. Leg 3 and 4 remain the most popular legs for the female runners although the proportion running leg 8 has risen in the last 4 four editions from a minority to a majority on that leg.

male / female
leg 1: 86% / 14%
leg 2: 88% / 12%
leg 3: 28% / 72%
leg 4: 47% / 53%
leg 5: 83% / 17%
leg 6: 76% / 24%
leg 7: 94% / 6%
leg 8: 59% / 41%
overall: 70% / 30%
Mick HanneyMay 30 2023, 12:25pmHidden in the stats is Foxy, dressed as a lady on leg 7 :-)
Richard FoxMay 30 2023, 3:48pmYes and that should be where it remains @mickhanney very (very very, even) well hidden.
Hehehe
foxy
Rene BorgMay 31 2023, 12:46pmTeam numbers assigned by the usual logic:

- Relative position of ‘returning teams’ (the first 21 teams are ‘returning teams) and have been given a number in the order they finished relative to the other ‘returning teams’
- Sign-up order (so teams 22 to 36 have been given a number based on the order they signed up in)

Team Number Team Name Official sports club / group your team represents
1 Rathfarnham Rathfarnham WSAF AC
2 East Cork AC East Cork AC
3 Mountain Swifts IMRA
4 Glendalough AC Glendalough AC
5 Trailrunners
6 Clane AC Clane AC
7 Polish Athletics Ireland
8 Laragh Legends
9 Brothers Pearse Brothers Pearse
10 Blackrock AC Blackrock AC
11 Le Cheile Le Cheile AC
12 Bravehearts Trim AC
13 Pearse Street Physio
14 Grass Routes
15 Clash Bangers
16 TT RACERS TTracers
17 Coffee and Buns
18 Racing795 Racing795
19 Team Luna
20 Rush Running
21 Wicklow Waysters
22 Kilcoole AC Kilcoole AC
23 Running Coach Ireland Running Coach Ireland
24 Iron *Space* Bridge
25 Agony of Defeet
26 Wicklow Wolf Wicklow Wolf Running Club
27 Parnell AC Parnell AC
28 Rule Seven IMRA
29 The Omnishamblers
30 Irish Lights Irish Lights
31 Raheny Shamrocks AC Raheny Shamrocks AC
32 Stealth Stones
33 Bally Clangers
34 Wicklow Finest
35 Ain't No Way Relay
36 Over The Hill
Turlough ConwayMay 31 2023, 2:44pm"Hidden in the stats is Foxy, dressed as a lady on leg 7 :-)"

Foxy, dressed as lady, revealed as Cheetah :-)
Diana Whelan PorterJun 1 2023, 9:48amWill there be more info going out to team captains soon - re carparking, Drumgoff start etc? Thanks!
Rene BorgJun 1 2023, 10:38amYes, Diana, Jason will send out soon. Main thing is that for each team no more than one car travels to the start of leg 2, leg 4 and leg 7. Jason will elaborate on that in his email.

The mass start will remain unchanged from previous years meaning that any team whose leg 5 runner has not yet arrived in Drumgoff at 13:15 will have to start their leg 6 runner as part of a mass start. So the latest a leg 6 runner can start their leg is 13:15.
Stuart ScottJun 1 2023, 6:54pmAm I right in thinking there's going to be a rule change to Leg 8 this year, whereby runners have to stop at the Dying Cow enroute and anyone not waiting the appropriate amount of time for their Guinness to settle will see their team disqualified?
Rob TobinJun 1 2023, 11:57pmIf any other Leg 7 runners have yet to recce the route and fancy some company I will be heading out there this coming Saturday morning. I'll be aiming to keep about 6:30min/km pace. Oh ate 7, won 7, for tutu ate five.
Graham K. BusheJun 2 2023, 7:05amHey Foxy, you might not be alone, looks like Rob has a tutu, too....
And he has been feeding his... "for tutu ate five."
:)
Dillon RyanJun 2 2023, 7:22amHi Rene,

I can volunteer to help out for a couple of hours in the morning at kilmashogue side if needs be? (Limited to time due to young kids).
Diana Whelan PorterJun 2 2023, 3:42pmJust wondering what the dimensions are of the trackers? One of my team is wondering if it will fit in a particular pocket.
Thanks!
David PowerJun 2 2023, 3:53pmVolunteer marshal info would be appreciated on time & location, to ensure the person we have allocated is available at that time. There's a big difference between an early morning and afternoon slot.
Dillon RyanJun 2 2023, 6:56pmHi david, not sure if that is a question for me or general?

If so, im free from the start at kilmashogue until about 11am.

Let me know if needed.

Cheers
Dave DochertyJun 3 2023, 9:43amDon't suppose there any lifts going from then end of leg one back to the start?
Angus TynerJun 3 2023, 9:53pmDave, I will be and have space. Bound to be others on the day.
Dave DochertyJun 4 2023, 9:02amThanks Angus, I'll keep an eye out for you.
I'm on Oh, eight 7. 8,two, nine.eight tree two 9.
Brendan LawlorJun 4 2023, 9:32amHi

I’m looking for a lift back to the start from end of leg 1 also please
Jason KehoeJun 4 2023, 11:58am************************************************
OFFICIAL UPDATE

Captains final instructions went out last night.. Your captain should forward you the relevant information. Bill's update on allocation of volunteers etc. is actually going out today so keep an eye out for that.

If you have volunteered and have not heard any updates after today then you might have slipped through the cracks. Please make yourself known here or directly to us if you have our emails.

**PARKING**

If ever the race is at future risk it will be because of one or two sloppy parking runners. This is a genuine threat to the race! Captains please ensure all runners and especially newcomers are forewarned as your team is at risk of disqualification or time penalties if found to bring the race into disrepute.

It's simple - ask yourself these questions:
A) Did I follow the Marshals directions?
B) Can a bus or tractor pass my parked car?
C) If this was my property/field would I mind someone parking where I'm about to park?

In the typical IMRA fashion please attempt to carpool as much as possible. It keeps our footprint on the route down as well as makes a cracking day out with your team.

Leg 1) Kilmashogue - No restrictions
* Park facing outwards as close together as possible

Leg 2) Curtlestown - No restrictions
* Keep outgoing runners EXIT CLEAR to the road
* LOOK before you run onto the public road!
* Follow marshals instructions

Leg 3) Lough Tay - Restrictions, buses use this route regularly
* Reverse into car park facing outwards as close together as possible
* Follow marshals instructions when carpark full

Leg 4) Oldbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Follow marshals instructions to park at Lough Dan Jamboree carpark.
* No parking / idling anywhere near to bridge handover point
* Do not park on grass verges or beside houses
* Do not block house entrances or farm gates

Leg 5) Glendalough - No restrictions
* Pay parking may be in operation
* Do not park on yellow lines or footpaths

Leg 6) Drumgoff - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Most importantly ASK for marshals instructions at crossroads
* No parking in Glenmalure Lodge carpark unless expressly directed.
* Waiting teams are to *KEEP CROSSROADS CLEAR* for traffic

Leg 7) Ironbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Follow marshals instructions
* Fill car park firstly
* Keep incoming runners route ENTIRELY free
* Space should be left for large vehicles to pass
* Do not block gates or park on corners

Leg 8) Crossbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Parking is ONLY at the far side of the hill (300m) and there are no cars allowed up to the changeover point (besides WWR volunteers).
* Do not park on bridge at river when supporting incoming runners

Leg 9) Shillelagh - No restrictions
* Park in Kenny’s Lounge car park
* Have a cool celebratory drink waiting for your final runner!

Kevin FergusonJun 4 2023, 4:04pmHi All,
I'm looking for a volunteer for parking duties for team 8 if anyone is free. The location is at Ironbridge.
Cheers
Brian O'GormanJun 5 2023, 8:34pmApologies if I missed it, but I couldn't see any reference in t
he rules for this year to the mandatory rain jacket. Has this been dropped for 2023? Thanks
Diana Whelan PorterJun 5 2023, 9:05pmWould anyone like to swap a car park marshall from Glendalough to go to Iron Bridge at 1pm?
Thanks!
Diana Whelan Porter, Team 21 (Wicklow Waysters)
Angus TynerJun 5 2023, 11:50pmBrian, in the info pack the captains received
Jacket Rule:
The standard IMRA jacket rule applies to this race. Failure to comply with this rule will result in the team being deemed 'non-competitive'. Marshals will check compliance at the finish line.
Rene BorgJun 6 2023, 10:02amUPDATE TEAMS

Team captains are encouraged to submit their current final version of their team in the next hours with IMRA numbers and full categories (we have a few gaps in that data) as PrimalTracking need to setup their website.

While teams can submit changes after this up until the deadline at 5 pm on Friday, those changes will not appear on PrimalTracking (they will be corrected later). So if you want your team to 'appear accurately' on the tracker, then please submit your final team asap.
Gerry McGuinnessJun 6 2023, 2:57pmIs the leg 2 finish Leg 3 start, at the pillar gates carpark where WW half race started/finished) or the smaller road further up (pass the pillar gates car park heading towards Sallygap).
Rene BorgJun 6 2023, 4:05pmHi Gerry, best thing is to review the Plotaroute links which show the precise location. In this case it's the smaller car park further up which shows up as the J B Malone Car Park on Google Maps. We recommend parking either at Pier Gates or at the next lay-in (150m further up) as there is more space in both locations and parking get's chaotic quickly near the gate where the hand-over is.

this hand-over is actually a 50m detour off the Wicklow Way - a relic from the time the actual WW went this way which has been maintained as it's practical. the plotaroute overview shows that exact.
Conor O'FarrellJun 6 2023, 7:40pm@Rene

Are you sure about that? JB Malone car park is 150m or so down the road from the usual handover spot.

Con
Linda RowdenJun 6 2023, 7:41pmTeam 29 The Omnishamblers are looking to swap marshal duties from Oldbridge @8:50am to Ironbridge at 13:00 or Crossbridge @13:45 if that works for anyone?
Alan KennedyJun 6 2023, 8:55pmWill bus tickets be on sale tomorrow?
Jason KehoeJun 6 2023, 11:56pm@Alan Kennedy - There was no reply from captains for a demand on bus tickets. They were asked to reply to me with estimated numbers from their teams by yesterday. If we got interest from 15 runners we would have put on a bus service in the hope of getting more. Alas it's harder to wrangle cars from participants than we reckoned! So no bus service.

Hopefully everyone is doing their best to carpool following their team as it takes traffic off the route and it's way more craic than travelling solo!

JK
Jason KehoeJun 7 2023, 12:07am---------------------------------------------------
On the note of communication:
----------------------------------------------------
if you are part of a team, your captain should have forwarded all relevant information and documentation that we sent to you at this point. If you are still in the dark on any aspect of your leg, rules, parking restrictions, volunteering duties or your teams plan for the day I STRONGLY suggest you contact your captain ASAP and get fully up to speed!

You cannot use the excuse that you didn't know the rules on the day or "I was never told!".

JK
---------------------------------------------------
Diana Whelan PorterJun 7 2023, 10:44amWhat time should leg 1 runners arrive at the start please?
Warren SwordsJun 7 2023, 10:55amQuick question on leg 6...I jest

Re the waist belt that the tracker will be in. Is there enough room to put the mandatory rain jacket inside it too? Or is that something that might affect the GPS and therefore not allowed?

Cheers!
Lindie NaughtonJun 7 2023, 10:55amStart time is 7am. So 6.30am.
Jason KehoeJun 7 2023, 11:14am--------------------------------------------
PRIMAL GPS TRACKERS
--------------------------------------------

TRACKERS:
We have had a recent update from Primal GPS tracking. For the first time they will now be placing each tracker inside a waist belt which your runner will wear. The waist belt will be the baton to hand to your next runner. They are hoping that this consistency will avoid the patchy GPS coverage which Wicklow is known for during the race.

Runners should secure the waist belt around their waist (or possibly across their chest like a sash?) and not to put it into another bum bag / pocket / backpack etc. For the same reason do not place a jacket or any other items inside the waist belt as this can lead to the same problem of blocking view to the sky and GPS signal.

We do not know what these waistbands look like or their make, model etc.

Waistband and tracker will be collected at the end of leg 8.

Thanks,
JK
--------------------------------------------
Warren SwordsJun 7 2023, 11:20amCheers Jason
Piotr BergelJun 7 2023, 1:58pmHi Linda Rowden, can you call me with relation to carpark marshall swap?
Piotr, team no 7
Thanks
Jason KehoeJun 8 2023, 10:40pm----------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR TEAM MARSHALLS
----------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, we have sent out a WhatsApp link in our update email to Team Captains during the week to get quick last minutes updates before Saturday and on the day it will be our main way of communication to teams. Please join using the link we sent and ask your captain if they have joined it too please. We are missing 15 members in the group who may not use WhatsApp or indeed want to use it!

It's been brought to our attention that there are errors in the timings for Marshalls to be in position from Leg 5 onwards. We will recalculate and send an update to you when we can.

These are old timings but likely still very accurate and you can readjust your logistics using them until we confirm the final times tomorrow. Your Marshall should be there at the 'On Station Time'.

Hopefully this message comes out formatted correctly.

Checkpoint 1st Runner On Station Time Location
Start 7.00am 6.40am Kilmashouge
CP2 7.55am 7.35am Curtlestown
CP3 8.55am 8.35am Lough Tay
CP4 9.20am 8.50am Oldbridge
CP5 10.00am 9.30am Glendalough
CP6 10.55am 10.35am Drumgoff
CP7 11.45am 11.15am Ironbridge
CP8 1.00pm 12.30am Crossbridge
Finish 1.35pm 13.05pm Shillelagh

Thanks,
JK
----------------------------------------------------------
Rene BorgJun 9 2023, 9:38amTeams can continue to update their team details until 5 pm today. Changes received later than that will mean a team runs non-competitively tomorrow.

Any changes made today may not appear on the PrimalTracking link: so when you follow the race tomorrow, you may be seeing 'slightly inaccurate teams'. This will be corrected in final results.

Results are released in three iterations for this event:

- PrimalTracking (live): not accurate to the second and sometimes off by 1-2 minutes, so consider those leg times a 'rough guidance' only.
- An Excel sheet (Sunday): based on the manual sheets. should be accurate but queries you can send directly to me on rene.borg@outlook.ie after the race
- The IMRA website (usually 3-7 days after): This is uploaded by Conor O'Farrell once we are certain we have corrected any errors in the results and at that stage the result will link to your IMRA profile
Brendan LawlorJun 9 2023, 11:56amVery best of luck to everyone taking part in the 20th Edition of the Wicklow Way Relay tomorrow.

This fantastic event devised by Joe Lalor back in the day has given many great memories to hundreds of IMRA members, road runners and others over the years. Controversy and drama are never too far away either where it comes to the Wicklow Way Relay and here's hoping for some of both in the coming days as well !

Jason, Ben and Bill have organised it for the past few years and do a great job each year, with enormous work done in the background.

So whether you are a very wound up member of a podium chasing team, or a laid back plodder (like myself) doing your bit and your best for your teammates, a team captain pulling your hair out organising logistics or a drop in newbie wondering what all the fuss is about, enjoy the day and see you in Kilmashogue, Glenmalure or Shillelagh hopefully !
Brendan LawlorJun 9 2023, 12:24pmJason, Rene and Bill have organised it for the past few years and do a great job each year, with enormous work done in the background... bloody typos !
Robert AsherJun 9 2023, 12:43pmHere, here! Thanks Jason, Rene and Bill - and all the other volunteers. Looking forward to tomorrow!
Andrew HanneyJun 9 2023, 1:01pmAs above, the work of Jason, Rene and Bill is very much appreciated so that we can run in this amazing event. There is no other day like it in the calendar..... meeting friends, exchanging stories and wondering what the hell happened to the runner on leg x :)

Best of luck to all teams tomorrow and specially Kilcoole AC :)
Turlough ConwayJun 9 2023, 1:39pmHi folks. Will Primal tracking link to follow race be published here or sent to Team Captains?
Mick HanneyJun 9 2023, 1:46pmIncremented the link from last year and got this.
https://live.primaltracking.com/wwr2023/
Rene BorgJun 9 2023, 1:46pmThe link is ready to go here: https://live.primaltracking.com/wwr2023/

will be circulated in email too.

current teams are as they were on Tuesday. PrimalTracking may get a chance to update with final changes tonight - but in case they don't, team names are advisory only.
Mick HanneyJun 9 2023, 6:19pmFor those who will be stopping off at Ironbridge (end of leg 6, start of leg 7), we have some extra parking which will ease the parking congestion often faced.

The parking area itself at Ironbridge is relatively small. However, if you drive through it, there is a forest gate which will be opened. You can drive in, turn at a turning circle 200m in and drive back and pull in alongside the trail at an appropriate point, leaving room for other cars to pass.
Jason KehoeJun 9 2023, 6:48pm@Mick that's welcome news thank you!

On tracker waist belts, see video on WWR captains whatsapp group or facebook page to get a look at what to expect.

Thanks,
Jason
Rene BorgJun 9 2023, 7:08pmHere is the final start list for tomorrow: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4f0dyrrl74s2ao/WWR%20Start%20List.xlsx?dl=0

should a team be forced to make a 'change on the day', they can finish the race but they will be listed with a time in the Non-Competitive category.

All team meet the age and gender criteria (if anything there is a noteable increase in master's runners year on year) so all teams currently start the race Competitive.
Tim ChapmanJun 10 2023, 11:56amGer O'Toole from Blackrock AC I have your running pouch you lost at Lough Tay. I'm in monkstown so can drop it to you or the club.
Well done all.
Tim
susan dixonJun 10 2023, 1:01pmWould anyone have a googlemaps pun drop for the start of leg 8 please?
susan dixonJun 10 2023, 1:01pmWould anyone have a googlemaps pin drop for the start of leg 8 please?
Rory CampbellJun 10 2023, 7:35pmBig shout out to the Marshalls who were all fantastic. Especially in latter half where the duration of the job extends so much. Thanks a million.
Lindie NaughtonJun 10 2023, 9:43pmA few pics from Glendalough - not sure everyone had looked at Jason's video on how to put on the tracker belt! https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindie/albums/72177720308956545
Alan KennedyJun 10 2023, 10:30pmWhat an amazing day and a brilliant event. First time doing relay and definitely not the last. 0500 this morning and finally home at 2100 and still on a high. Such a great buzz at all the handover stops and great support all round. We always shout out the Marshalls but by jaysus did we need all of them today and the hours they had to put in! Thanks to JK and all the team for a fabulous event.
Lindie NaughtonJun 11 2023, 8:00amLeft at Glendalough: one crimson Kalengi top size 38 and one water bottle with green top and 'Murphy -world class infrastructure' written on side. Wanna claim them?
Turlough ConwayJun 11 2023, 8:01amAmazing day in the hills. Well done to Race Director Jason Keogh, Rene, Bill and volunteers on a very well run race. The parking which is a vulnerability for such an event was organized and marshalled extremely well. Most important to note the focus on health and safety. My deviation on the route on leg 7 and subsequent dot movements in the vicinity of Tinahely viewable town lead to a conclusion of 'potentially delirious'. As it turned out I was just lost and confused. Jason searched for me and gave me some advice to get me back on route which I appreciated. I much more appreciated the fact that were there a problem for me and other runners we were being looked out for and would be looked after.
It was great to chat to so many people and friendly faces some of whom I havent spoken to in years.
Well done and huge respect to East Cork AC on a great win. Its a major achievement given the extra difficulties that the distance to be travelled for Recces etc.
Just to mention our own team Raheny Shamrock AC. Despite some organizational issues (a hand goes up as captain) probably leading to a couple of very minor route deviations and one major one (other hand goes up) we all ran our hardest and turned up for the team and had a great day doing it.
Our objective was to get a valid result on the board and build on the experience to challenge with East Cork and Rathfarnham next year and every year after. Like those clubs our club spirit is very much a good fit this event.
From snippits of chats through the day I gathered that other clubs could be in be close to a position to field teams next year given the number of individual club participants they had this year.
Lastly, I hope East Cork AC have commisoned the local bard in the Middleton area to start penning a race report to chronicle the win and epic journey!
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 9:08amIndicative resuts are posted on PrimalTracking now. The times will be whittled down to more exact as we get around to typing up all the results sheet today: https://results.primaltracking.com/event/wwr2023

A few deviations (not corrected) are being looked into so this may affect one or two teams by the look of it. We'll be in touch with those teams to verify once we have had a look at the tracker data.
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 1:13pmRESULTS **PROVISIONAL LEG BY LEG***

Typing in of results has begun and as usual legs results will be released one by one first here and then we release the full file with all the bells and whistles, nice lay-out and the rest. Please have a look at these provisional results and report any issues to us so we can fix them before they are uploaded into the IMRA DB next week.

RANK NAME CAT TIME % OF WINNER
1 Paul Stephenson M35 0:56:25 100%
2 Mark Kirwan M35 0:59:19 105%
3 Graham Swords M40 1:01:37 100%
4 Reuben Whelan MS 1:02:27 111%
5 Jason Kehoe M40 1:03:35 113%
6 Justin Dutton M45 1:04:15 114%
7 Brian Caulfield M50 1:05:35 116%
8 Karl Milligian M40 1:06:52 119%
9 Piotr Bergel M40 1:07:30 120%
10 Kieran Murray M50 1:08:59 122%
11 Oran Heron MS 1:09:35 123%
12 Hugh Hunt M45 1:10:26 125%
13 Angus Tyner M55 1:10:40 125%
14 Darren mooney M35 1:10:53 126%
15 Mikey Fry M50 1:11:20 126%
16 Michael Nalty M55 1:11:25 127%
17 Barry Phelan M40 1:11:34 127%
18 Torben Dahl M40 1:11:49 127%
19 Oisin O Briain M45 1:12:29 128%
20 Mairead Cashman F55 1:12:53 129%
21 Colin Burns M50 1:14:38 132%
22 Peter Bell M40 1:15:34 134%
23 Dave Doherty M45 1:16:15 135%
24 PJ Comerford MS 1:18:13 139%
25 Karen O'Hanlon F50 1:19:22 141%
26 Alan Kennedy M55 1:21:25 144%
27 Damien Malone M45 1:26:01 152%
28 David J Hynes M50 1:26:45 154%
29 Brendan Lawlor M60 1:30:35 161%
30 Greg Robins M60 1:32:49 165%
31 Hilary Jenkinson F55 1:34:11 167%
32 Emma Parkinson F50 1:35:50 170%
33 Emer Conroy F45 1:40:32 178%
34 Conor Nolan M35 1:42:11 181%
35 Geoffrey Porter M55 1:52:03 199%
Brendan LawlorJun 11 2023, 2:02pmHuge thank you to Jason, Rene , Bill and all the changeover and parking marshals for another epic Wicklow Way Relay race yesterday.

The weather was a big bonus and there was a great buzz at the end of every leg and at the finish line in Shillelagh.

Thanks also to Michael Dowling and the staff at the Glenmalure Lodge for providing our team with a fine feed and great entertainment to round the day off.

Congratulations to East Cork AC on their great win after hitting the bar on a few occasions. But watch your backs next year as Turlough is unlikely to get that lost two years in a row.
Mick HanneyJun 11 2023, 2:02pmPretty amazing result there for Darren Mooney who had finished race with a busted ankle 2k from finish (later confirmed, I believe, to be broke).
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 2:27pmPROVISIONAL LEG RESULTS - REVISED LEG 1

Runner in place 9 was missing.

11 Kieran Murray M50 1:08:59 122%
12 Oran Heron MS 1:09:35 123%
13 Hugh Hunt M45 1:10:26 125%
14 Angus Tyner M55 1:10:40 125%
15 Darren mooney M35 1:10:53 126%
16 Mikey Fry M50 1:11:20 126%
17 Michael Nalty M55 1:11:25 127%
18 Barry Phelan M40 1:11:34 127%
19 Torben Dahl M40 1:11:49 127%
20 Oisin O Briain M45 1:12:29 128%
21 Mairead Cashman F55 1:12:53 129%
22 Colin Burns M50 1:14:38 132%
23 Peter Bell M40 1:15:34 134%
24 Dave Doherty M45 1:16:15 135%
25 PJ Comerford MS 1:18:13 139%
26 Karen O'Hanlon F50 1:19:22 141%
27 Alan Kennedy M55 1:21:25 144%
28 Damien Malone M45 1:26:01 152%
29 David J Hynes M50 1:26:45 154%
30 Brendan Lawlor M60 1:30:35 161%
31 Greg Robins M60 1:32:49 165%
32 Hilary Jenkinson F55 1:34:11 167%
33 Emma Parkinson F50 1:35:50 170%
34 Emer Conroy F45 1:40:32 178%
35 Conor Nolan M35 1:42:11 181%
36 Geoffrey Porter M55 1:52:03 199%
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 2:28pmLEG 8 PROVISIONAL RESULTS

RANK NAME CAT TIME % OF WINNER LEG PACE
1 Ciara Hickey F40 0:38:14 100% 3:49 min/km
2 Niamh Clifford FS 0:39:24 103% 3:56 min/km
3 Fiona Santry F35 0:39:28 103% 3:57 min/km
4 Ronan King M50 0:40:24 106% 4:02 min/km
5 Lucy O Malley F45 0:40:39 106% 4:04 min/km
6 Christopher Maloney M55 0:41:20 108% 4:08 min/km
7 Donna Quinn F40 0:42:14 110% 4:13 min/km
8 Nicola Soraghan F35 0:42:31 111% 4:15 min/km
9 Eamon Shields M50 0:46:15 121% 4:38 min/km
10 Clare Sheils F45 0:46:53 123% 4:41 min/km
11 Anna Ordynska F35 0:47:06 123% 4:43 min/km
12 Eileen O'Toole F35 0:47:39 125% 4:46 min/km
13 Maria Snell F35 0:47:42 125% 4:46 min/km
14 Imogen McGuinness F40 0:47:44 125% 4:46 min/km
15 Rosie Conway F45 0:48:08 126% 4:49 min/km
16 Lisa Howley F50 0:48:40 127% 4:52 min/km
17 Aoife Joyce F45 0:49:54 131% 4:59 min/km
18 Nora Butler F40 0:51:11 134% 5:07 min/km
19 Conor O'Farrell M45 0:51:47 135% 5:11 min/km
20 Joanne Carey F40 0:53:13 139% 5:19 min/km
21 Mary Cronin FS 0:53:15 139% 5:20 min/km
22 Desie Shorten M65 0:53:20 139% 5:20 min/km
23 Fiona Byrne F50 0:53:45 141% 5:23 min/km
24 Tadhg O'Mahony M35 0:53:57 141% 5:24 min/km
25 Fiona Kelly FS 0:54:56 144% 5:30 min/km
26 Rachel Torreggiani FS 0:55:58 146% 5:36 min/km
27 Olga Bennan F40 0:57:46 151% 5:47 min/km
27 Olga Bennan F40 0:57:46 151% 5:47 min/km
29 Edel Wynne F35 0:59:30 156% 5:57 min/km
30 Brian Dunne M35 1:00:48 159% 6:05 min/km
31 Padraig Dunne M55 1:05:36 172% 6:34 min/km
32 Gayle Donnelly F45 1:09:37 182% 6:58 min/km
33 Kate Flynn FS 1:10:11 184% 7:01 min/km
34 Fiona Slattery F35 1:13:47 193% 7:23 min/km
35 Laura Cotter F50 1:15:13 197% 7:31 min/km
36 Sinead Fahy F40 1:20:35 211% 8:04 min/km
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 2:47pmLEG 5 RESULTS

1 Conall Whelan MS 0:54:24 100%
2 David Power M40 0:57:10 105%
2 David Power M40 0:57:10 105%
4 Conor Deane MS 0:57:52 106%
5 Matt Horrigan M35 0:57:56 106%
6 Nediljko Barac MS 1:00:52 112%
7 Conor Greenan MS 1:01:58 114%
8 Aubrey O'Neill MS 1:02:40 115%
9 Des Kennedy M50 1:05:33 120%
10 Bernard Fortune M55 1:06:26 122%
11 Christopher Quaid MS 1:07:18 124%
12 Alan O Neill M40 1:07:36 124%
13 Gavin Duffy M40 1:07:54 125%
14 Robert Costello M40 1:09:06 127%
15 René Borg M40 1:09:11 127%
16 Rob Asher M40 1:09:55 129%
17 Derek Lawlor M45 1:10:00 129%
18 Ronan Dunphy M35 1:10:30 130%
19 Ted Burke M45 1:11:20 131%
20 Ellen Byrne FS 1:14:15 136%
21 Katarzyna Bobka F35 1:14:32 137%
22 Eoin Kennedy MS 1:16:51 141%
23 Shane parkinson M45 1:19:20 146%
24 Kevin O Riordan M40 1:21:48 150%
25 Kate Murray F50 1:22:15 151%
26 David Jackson M55 1:22:58 153%
27 Vanush Paturyan M45 1:23:07 153%
28 Róisín Mc Donnell F60 1:30:03 166%
29 Bill Barry M45 1:31:07 167%
30 Simon Lynch M50 1:32:51 171%
31 Aidan Langley M45 1:33:22 172%
32 Karen Woods F45 1:37:20 179%
33 Gail Carter F50 1:38:40 181%
34 Martin Price M60 1:55:52 213%
35 Sean Phelan M45 2:08:32 236%
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 2:47pmLEG 8 RESULTS (CORRECTED)

1 Ciara Hickey F40 0:38:14 100%
2 Niamh Clifford FS 0:39:24 103%
3 Fiona Santry F35 0:39:28 103%
4 Ronan King M50 0:40:24 106%
5 Christopher Maloney M55 0:41:20 108%
6 Nicola Soraghan F35 0:42:31 111%
7 Lucy O Malley F45 0:43:39 114%
8 Donna Quinn F40 0:45:24 119%
9 Eamon Shields M50 0:46:15 121%
10 Clare Sheils F45 0:46:53 123%
11 Anna Ordynska F35 0:47:06 123%
12 Eileen O'Toole F35 0:47:39 125%
13 Maria Snell F35 0:47:42 125%
14 Imogen McGuinness F40 0:47:44 125%
15 Rosie Conway F45 0:48:08 126%
16 Lisa Howley F50 0:48:40 127%
17 Aoife Joyce F45 0:49:54 131%
18 Nora Butler F40 0:51:11 134%
19 Conor O'Farrell M45 0:51:47 135%
20 Joanne Carey F40 0:53:13 139%
21 Mary Cronin FS 0:53:15 139%
22 Desie Shorten M65 0:53:20 139%
23 Fiona Byrne F50 0:53:45 141%
24 Tadhg O'Mahony M35 0:53:57 141%
25 Fiona Kelly FS 0:54:56 144%
26 Rachel Torreggiani FS 0:55:58 146%
27 Olga Bennan F40 0:57:46 151%
27 Olga Bennan F40 0:57:46 151%
29 Edel Wynne F35 0:59:30 156%
30 Brian Dunne M35 1:00:48 159%
31 Padraig Dunne M55 1:05:36 172%
32 Gayle Donnelly F45 1:09:37 182%
33 Kate Flynn FS 1:10:11 184%
34 Fiona Slattery F35 1:13:47 193%
35 Laura Cotter F50 1:15:13 197%
36 Sinead Fahy F40 1:20:35 211%
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 2:52pmLEG 2 PROVISIONAL RESULTS

1 Matthew McConnell MS 1:07:46 100%
2 Luke McMullan MS 1:09:02 102%
3 Noelie Kavanagh M40 1:11:04 105%
4 James Kelly M35 1:11:26 105%
5 Ian Conroy M40 1:13:35 109%
6 Donal Giltinan M40 1:13:39 100%
7 Joshua Chambers MS 1:14:48 110%
8 Valdas Tilunas M45 1:18:15 115%
9 Liam Vines M50 1:18:55 116%
10 Brian Furey M40 1:20:16 118%
11 Ray Kenny M50 1:20:50 119%
12 Krzysztof Sikorski M40 1:20:57 119%
13 Ger O'Toole M55 1:24:55 125%
14 Martin Cullen M40 1:25:46 127%
15 Caoimhin MacMaolain M45 1:26:17 127%
16 Diarmuid Kavanagh MS 1:28:04 130%
17 Tim Richards M50 1:28:08 130%
18 Kevin Ferguson M40 1:28:20 130%
19 Eamonn Hodge M40 1:31:01 134%
20 Mark Walsh M50 1:31:11 135%
21 Patricia McLoughlin F45 1:31:51 136%
22 Peter Sutcliffe M45 1:32:19 136%
23 Sean Sheridan-O'Gorman M35 1:35:01 140%
24 Paulius Stankus MS 1:35:42 141%
25 Gerry McGuinness M55 1:41:36 150%
26 Stephen Lavelle M45 1:44:51 155%
27 Gregory O’Beirne M55 1:47:02 158%
28 Fiona Sheerin F45 1:47:33 159%
29 Susan Gannon F40 1:50:50 164%
30 Barry Hurley M40 1:55:37 171%
31 Declan Swords M55 1:56:40 172%
32 Keith Carr M50 2:02:44 181%
33 Ellen Hurley F35 2:12:28 195%
34 Richard Fox M65 2:15:02 199%
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 3:24pmLEG 1 REVISED (2 ERRORS CORRECTED)

11 Kieran Murray M50 1:08:59 122%
12 Oran Heron MS 1:09:35 123%
13 Hugh Hunt M45 1:10:26 125%
14 Angus Tyner M55 1:10:40 125%
15 Darren mooney M35 1:10:53 126%
16 Mikey Fry M50 1:11:20 126%
17 Michael Nalty M55 1:11:25 127%
18 Barry Phelan M40 1:11:34 127%
19 Torben Dahl M40 1:11:49 127%
20 Oisin O Briain M45 1:12:29 128%
21 Colin Burns M50 1:14:38 132%
22 Peter Bell M40 1:15:34 134%
23 Dave Doherty M45 1:16:15 135%
24 PJ Comerford MS 1:18:13 139%
25 Karen O'Hanlon F50 1:19:22 141%
26 Alan Kennedy M55 1:21:25 144%
27 Conor Nolan M35 1:24:11 149%
28 Damien Malone M45 1:26:01 152%
29 David J Hynes M50 1:26:45 154%
30 Brendan Lawlor M60 1:30:35 161%
31 Greg Robins M60 1:32:49 165%
32 Hilary Jenkinson F55 1:34:11 167%
33 Emma Parkinson F50 1:35:50 170%
34 Emer Conroy F45 1:40:32 178%
35 Geoffrey Porter M55 1:52:03 199%
36 Mairead Cashman F55 2:12:53 236%
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 3:28pmLEG 2 REVISED

RANK NAME CAT TIME % OF WINNER LEG PACE
1 Matthew McConnell MS 1:07:46 100% 4:40 min/km
2 Luke McMullan MS 1:09:02 102% 4:46 min/km
3 Noelie Kavanagh M40 1:11:04 105% 4:54 min/km
4 James Kelly M35 1:11:26 105% 4:56 min/km
5 Ian Conroy M40 1:13:35 109% 5:04 min/km
6 Donal Giltinan M40 1:13:39 100% 5:05 min/km
7 Joshua Chambers MS 1:14:48 110% 5:10 min/km
8 Valdas Tilunas M45 1:18:15 115% 5:24 min/km
9 Liam Vines M50 1:18:55 116% 5:27 min/km
10 Brian Furey M40 1:20:16 118% 5:32 min/km
11 Ray Kenny M50 1:20:50 119% 5:34 min/km
12 Krzysztof Sikorski M40 1:20:57 119% 5:35 min/km
13 Ger O'Toole M55 1:24:55 125% 5:51 min/km
14 Martin Cullen M40 1:25:46 127% 5:55 min/km
15 Caoimhin MacMaolain M45 1:26:17 127% 5:57 min/km
16 Diarmuid Kavanagh MS 1:28:04 130% 6:04 min/km
17 Tim Richards M50 1:28:08 130% 6:05 min/km
18 Kevin Ferguson M40 1:28:20 130% 6:06 min/km
19 Eamonn Hodge M40 1:31:01 134% 6:17 min/km
19 Eamonn Hodge M40 1:31:01 134% 6:17 min/km
21 Mark Walsh M50 1:31:11 135% 6:17 min/km
22 Patricia McLoughlin F45 1:31:51 136% 6:20 min/km
23 Peter Sutcliffe M45 1:32:19 136% 6:22 min/km
24 Sean Sheridan-O'Gorman M35 1:35:01 140% 6:33 min/km
25 Paulius Stankus MS 1:35:42 141% 6:36 min/km
26 Gerry McGuinness M55 1:41:36 150% 7:00 min/km
27 Stephen Lavelle M45 1:44:51 155% 7:14 min/km
28 Gregory O’Beirne M55 1:47:02 158% 7:23 min/km
29 Claudine Hughes F50 1:47:29 159% 7:25 min/km
30 Fiona Sheerin F45 1:47:33 159% 7:25 min/km
31 Barry Hurley M40 1:55:37 171% 7:58 min/km
32 Declan Swords M55 1:56:40 172% 8:03 min/km
33 Keith Carr M50 2:02:44 181% 8:28 min/km
34 Susan Gannon F40 2:08:50 190% 8:53 min/km
35 Ellen Hurley F35 2:12:28 195% 9:08 min/km
36 Richard Fox M65 2:15:02 199% 9:19 min/km
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 3:48pmSTOP PRESS

A good few errors were detected after the first release (which is part of the reason we do it) but they were related to our result generation sheet being built for a maximum of 35 teams - the 36th team caused chaos in the results essentially.

I have fixed that now - but I won't re-release everything now until I have redone each leg. I am waiting also to get the results files from Oldbridge and Ironbridge to complete the data entry process.
Turlough ConwayJun 11 2023, 5:01pmForgot to mention earlier other clubs already competing - here are them all:
Blackrock AC
Brothers Pearse AC
Clane AC
East Cork AC
Glendalough AC
Kilcoole AC
Le Cheile AC
Parnell AC
Racing795
Raheny Shamrocks AC
Rathfarnham WSAF AC
Trim AC
Wicklow Wolf Running Club
Christopher WilloughbyJun 11 2023, 7:10pm@Lindie, I'll claim the water bottle - sorry! Will you be at Djouce on Wednesday?
Rene BorgJun 11 2023, 7:16pmPlease find a very cautious overall results here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5t89ge2o3k0qg4s4jwxa7/WWR2023_FullResults.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=dxmf63km4hg4usamrq5uagaaw

We have to still check reports that one or two teams may have deviated off the route without retracing theri steps. This will be done tomorrow.

The team journey tab is not yet fully finished in terms of colour coding - that will be done later this evening.
Diana Whelan PorterJun 12 2023, 12:01pmApologies if I’ve misunderstood the spreadsheet, but have you added the Drumgoff time penalties twice to some of the teams? I don’t think anyone took over 13 hours? Our leg 8 runner (team 21, Wicklow Waysters) arrived at about 5.35, that plus a 1.39 addition from Drumgoff makes an arrival time of 7.14 pm, which is indeed there in the spreadsheet. However the total run time is then listed as 13.53 hours, where it should be 12.14 hours.
Warren SwordsJun 12 2023, 12:19pmThanks to Jason, Rene, Bill and everyone else who contributed to yet another remarkable edition of the Wicklow Way Relay. It's such a brilliant event, like a rolling carnival through the hills.

Each handover you see familiar faces, sweaty red faces of those who've just finished and the nervous faces of those waiting to run.

If anyone heard a big bang around the Tinahely area, that was just me blowing up. It's never a good sign when you see parts of the road actually melting during your leg.

Great to see East Cork take the win, well deserved. Some brilliant team performances,
Rene BorgJun 12 2023, 3:30pmhi Diane, that's right - the extra time had been added twice and thankfully there were no teams finishing in 13:15! that's corrected now.
Alice ClancyJun 12 2023, 5:21pmThank you Jason, Rene, Bill and all the volunteers for another excellent Wicklow Way Relay!! It was a wonderful day out in the hills - really well organised and a lot of fun!! I'd like to encourage anyone thinking of doing it to get a team together for next year!!

PS a special thank you to Michael and the Glenmalure Lodge: the food, post-mortems, pints and music on Saturday night serves well as the 9th leg of the relay!!
Mick HanneyJun 12 2023, 6:07pmAny chance of a more expansive race report Turlough, esp on leg 7?

If I recall our conversation at Ironbridge...
me: have you recceed? (a standard leg 7 question)
you: ah, I'm familiar with it.
me: famous last words.
I hope I didn't hex you !
Hazel ThompsonJun 12 2023, 6:34pmThanks Jason, Renee and all the volunteers. It was fun to be back running the WWR again
Renee, it seems that the change you made has done something strange to the times for leg 6. They were correct previously but are now showing times of nearly 3 hrs for some runners.
Hazel ThompsonJun 12 2023, 6:36pmSorry, Rene…
Turlough ConwayJun 12 2023, 6:53pmI'll oblige Mick.

Don't worry about hexing me, Furey had done that already.
All will be revealed....
Rene BorgJun 12 2023, 7:20pmHi Hazel - yes fixing the issue highlighted by Diane caused an issue somewhere else but I fixed it a few hours ago so now the times should be right in both places.
Hazel ThompsonJun 12 2023, 9:40pmThanks Rene!!
David PowerJun 13 2023, 5:32pmThanks to everybody who made this day possible - organisers, marshals, captains, competitors, family and supporters. The best bit about this event is there are so many best bits. Not just the exciting build up. Not just the race day itself. Not even the buzz the day after. Reading the reports and stories is another joy. So much value in that entry fee!

Here's my considered race report. The website hit it's limit at 2 David Power race reports, so the 3rd is on my blog with surround sound and Technicolour photos.
https://dapower.wordpress.com/2023/06/13/wicklow-way-relay-2023/. Like the relay itself it's a long one.
Conor O'FarrellJun 13 2023, 6:47pmHi All

VERY PROVISIONAL CAUTIOUS Results are now up. There are a few adjustments to make around teams that were deemed NC/DNF due to taking the wrong route etc.

I will update that in the coming days when I get the full low-down from the lads, with any other adjustments.

Con
Andrew HanneyJun 13 2023, 9:20pmKilcoole AC condensed report up :) An epic day out. Thanks to Jason, Bill, Rene and all the volunteers for making it happen. Congrats to East Cork on a great win. A day of great craic, drama, strategy and pure athletic prowess.
Rene BorgJun 13 2023, 10:31pmThe neo-traditional 'by the numbers report' is up
Diana Whelan PorterJun 13 2023, 10:37pmOur leg 6 runner, Martin Price, seems to have morphed into Clare Devaney on the results list!
Rene BorgJun 13 2023, 11:10pmHi Diana - it's becaues you switched the IMRA number for Clare and Martin when you submitted the form. So once Conor uploaded the data to the IMRA website, he has to use the numbers to identify the person. if the number isn't correctly assigned to the runner, they will 'change identity'
Diana Whelan PorterJun 14 2023, 8:28amHmm - not sure how that happened! Martin's number is 2558 - can that be changed?
Alan KennedyJun 14 2023, 10:34amThe enjoyment of this event continues, these latest reports are brilliant and make for fascinating reading.
Rene BorgJun 14 2023, 11:27amConor may have seen it already but once the results go up on the website all further results queries/ amendments should be emailed to: results@imra.ie
Andrew HanneyJun 14 2023, 11:46amA small point, but can we give the team marshals the official recognition as having completed a volunteer duty for the race? I think the best way is each helper add themselves as a volunteer to the event and the RD can accept. Thanks.
Rene BorgJun 15 2023, 4:02pmA few interesting facts about this year's event that didn't make the 'by the numbers report:

- 2 of the original 136 starters in the 2002 Wicklow Way Relay ran this weekend (Brendan Lawlor and Emma Sokell)
- 51% of the field (146 runners) were debutantes in the relay
- runners under-40 made up only 18% of the field, but took 67% of the podiums and 63% of the wins (5 of 8 legs)
Hazel ThompsonJun 15 2023, 5:30pmI also ran in 2002 :-)
Rene BorgJun 15 2023, 6:29pmI see you there alright now Hazel - you're well up in most editions too

No one has run all 20. Mike Long and Brendan Lawlor lead the way with 16 editions, 13 for Emma Sokell, Martin Price, Declan Swords and Emma McAuley and 12 for you, Tommy Galvin, John McEnri and Derek Charles
Graham K. BusheJun 16 2023, 12:47amHere's one for you Rene.
Who has run for the most teams?
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 16 2023, 5:07amThanks for the interesting facts and the many years organising Rene.
I believe I have actually competed 12 times previously (13 including 2023). :-)
Rene BorgJun 16 2023, 9:03amhi Niamh - it's actually 13 for you. there were three entries in the database for you as Niamh O Ceallaigh vs Niamh O'Ceallaigh. We did a big cleanup of names a number of years ago but a few clearly slipped our net.
Andrew HanneyJun 16 2023, 12:42pmwhilst we are correcting the finer details ;)

From the by the numbers report:

"WICKLOW CHAMPIONSHIPS
Was informally won by Kilcoole ahead of Glendalough and Parnell but it may all have been very different without Darren Mooney’s bad injury on leg 1. We can only wonder what would have occurred has the planned Sli Cualann and Bray Runners team manifested."

Pondering what would've/could've happened comes across as a half hearted well done. But you know I'll take it. Parnell AC team were very unfortunate with the injury and we relish our friendly rivalry but they would also be first to tell you that they were a mixed team. And Sli Chulain by the rules, can only compete as Sli Chulain outside of Wicklow so cannot be counted in the county leaderboard.
Rene BorgJun 16 2023, 4:36pmNot intended as half-hearted at all Andy - firstly because we in Glendalough where ourselves beneficiaries of their mishap (and Raheny's!) and secondly because this is the case for any relay any year. The Wicklow Way Relay rankings always reflect a combination of fitness, team tactics, organisation/logistics, and pure luck - some years this benefits a club in the rankings and other years the pendulum swings another way.

Sli Cualann is both a club within and without Wicklow as there are members Wicklow Athletics who are affiliated only with Sli Cualann and they can run as such in Wicklow Championship.

But such AAI rules do not apply to the relay around club affiliation for a number of reasons:

- it's not a championship (such as the British Fell Relays for instance which would require every runner to be officially affiliated to the club they represent etc. etc.)
- this competition is not restricted to athletics ireland clubs meaning athletics ireland rules have no relevance to the relay including any rules relating to Sli Cualann. We have orienteering clubs, fitness clubs, triathlon clubs etc. listed in the rankings- each from associations with their own rules
- many club teams that are listed as 'club teams' back through history have 'guest runners' (that were not members of that club) so anyone being pedantic would say 'it's not really that's club's performance'
- some teams NOT listed as club teams are largely comprised of runners of one or two clubs

for the relay the club moniker is primarily recorded as a matter of tradition to get a loose overview of what clubs . At a certain stage- likely around 2007/08 - many clubs (especially large Dublin clubs) took an interest in winning the relay 'for the club' and this brought the competitive aspect of the relay to new highs. But the original rules for team selection has never changed

I've been pondering proposing a rule for the relay along these lines for instance: Any team with 6 or more runners affiliated to a club can officially represent a club. Any team with 8 runners from an officially affiliated club will automatically represent said club. Only one team can officialy represent a club per relay.

Would such a rule help? I am not sure. It may standardise what we understand and record as a club team and encourage clubs who put their 'name on the box' to mainly stock up with club runners. But more rules also mean more administration and ultimately the relay has never been a championship and by adding extra rules like this there is always the risk of slowly transitioning towards an 'Irish Trail Relay Championship' - which while an interesting idea may not be the right thing for this relay.
Rene BorgJun 16 2023, 5:16pmGraham: at the moment there is no team data attached to the individual data from 2002 to 2016. A relic of how data entry was done in the early years of the sheets existence (this sheet has had three owners, so it's very patched together)

so at the moment until I get a chance to 'clean that up', we cannot see how much 'people jump around teams'.
Andrew HanneyJun 16 2023, 10:51pmHi Rene, thanks for the response. I understand the make up of the relay, I have run it for fun and captained the club team. When I consider our club when competing, I'm only interested in how we do against other AC's, its pointless to compare a club like ours to made up teams trying to get on the podium.
Had a brief catch up with David Power on getting more clubs involved... but we realised that sure Newcastle AC would just come down and win everything anyway. But competition is no bad thing. Maybe IMRA could pick a race per season and call it a club championship. Wouldn't that be something.
As you say the great thing about the Relay is that clubs / teams can easily find themselves in a great position, by producing solid legs, and seeing stuff happen to other teams.
Hazel ThompsonJun 17 2023, 12:01amOne of the best things about this relay is that anyone can take part. Please don’t turn it into an AAI / AC club event. This would exclude many IMRA members, and other non-AC clubs, and turn it into a completely different kind of race than it has been for the past 20 years.
Rene BorgJun 17 2023, 10:37amThe principle of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' probably applies here and generally small tweaks and experiments year on year have served the event well over the 20 years. club rules could be clarified a bit without changing anything for the non-AC teams. Ultimately it's not my call - nor Jasons or any individuals - as race directors organisers we are just custodians and ultimately the direction of a race sits with the committee.

What could help is to draft up a full Competition Rules document for the association including sub-sections for each race with unusual rules (like the relay) so there is a central reference and a document to propose amendments to at AGMs etc.

In the meantime (shameless plug), the Wicklow clubs can truly show who has tbe best hill running squad at the Wicklow Athletics Off-Road Champs on 19th August. there won't be a relay format (this year at least) but this year the championship will be expended to cover 2k and 3k junior courses and 10k and 20k senior courses.

as for a full on 'club relay' (as a separate thing), I have a suspicion it would not be an instant hit and would be hard to accommodate on an already busy calendar. It takes a long time to build the prestige that now lays with the Wicklow Way Relay (due to its history) and anything alternative setup would be cast in that shade I suspect and not grow as well as a result.

the most interesting relay concept I ever came across was Joe Lalor's Spider Relay to celebrate the Golden Spider win for the IMRA website in 2008. I ran most of the course drafts Joe passed on to me (all starting at the Upper Lake Park). it was a fascinating concept (one base, 8 legs) but National Park attitudes to such an event may be much less positive than they were 15 years ago.
Brendan LawlorJun 17 2023, 11:25am100 per cent agree with Hazel here.. leave the Wicklow Way relay alone. Clubs that are interested in it know about it, and clubs that aren’t , don’t. And long May that continue.

Many of us draughthorse runners would argue that the real heart of the relay only begins when the mass start starts and the scramble for the last three positions really hots up! We need our own championship maybe !
Andrew HanneyJun 17 2023, 5:39pmFolks, nobody suggested changing anything about the WWR. Its the best day of the year. Looking forward to next year!
Rene BorgJul 12 2023, 10:45amAs an early note - leg 5 will be different next year after a new path has been built just after you cross the Mullacor saddle - taken from Wicklow Trails facebook post:

We have opened a minor reroute on the Wicklow Way. When heading South just after passing the Mullacor saddle and start to descend into Glenmalure a new path has been built through Coillte land. This is an effort to create a more sustainable trail and remove some difficult /sensitive muddy and hard to maintain terrain.

Thanks to David Ward for his excellent work on the path. Thanks also to Coillte and Wicklow Mountains National Park together with County Wicklow Partnership for this collaborative effort to improve recreation in Wicklow - funded by the Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme
Jason KehoeAug 10 2023, 11:33pmHey everyone,

Some good news! Inspired by the mastermind Andrew Hanney, the IMRA Committee has pulled off a unanimous decision that's a real benefit to the event – we're giving out full 'non-running volunteer' credits to our sensational volunteers. We're talking about the 'handover marshals' who ensure everything goes smoothly when you gasp out loud your team number as well as our team 'car park marshals' who've mastered the art of washing in the nearest stream before donning a high viz vest!

I've already applied these well-deserved volunteer credits, however, if you happen to notice that a volunteer from your team hasn't been credited yet, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me here. Just a reminder, they'll need an IMRA profile to do this.

Anticipation is already building for next year's relay – can't wait to see what it holds!

Best regards,
JK
Andrew HanneyAug 11 2023, 11:25pmThanks for the update Jason, that is great news.
Diana Whelan PorterAug 12 2023, 5:44pmExcuse my ignorance- but what do volunteer credits actually mean?
Kevin O'RiordanAug 12 2023, 6:10pmLike social credits but better.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 12 2023, 6:13pmIf you've ran 10 races in the year and volunteered twice in a non-running capacity, you'll get a volunteers prize at the end of the year.
Peter O'FarrellAug 12 2023, 8:17pm@Kevin - Surely (Shirley) the volunteers prize should be volunteer 10 times and race twice!