Irish Mountain
Running Association

Kippure

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Alan AylingMar 7 2013, 4:59pmThis junior start is - in my opinion - an excellent idea. Logistically of course it's not as simple as just starting/finishing near the parking, but it's great to see the thought has gone into giving the juniors a decent course and get to run the mountain itself, much better than the often-favoured you-can-run-up-the-fire-road-and-back-while-all-the-grown-ups-get-to-go-up-the-mountain. So fair play to whoever came up with this.

Now for the devil in me to suggest something nasty...

If we were ALL to start and finish at that point, but with the full course going out to Seefingan and back... now that would be awesome!
One for next year perhaps?
Paul SmythMar 7 2013, 5:11pmI don't think that's a nasty suggestion at all - it's a great idea! Now that bog road run, out and back, that, is nasty!
Mick HanneyMar 7 2013, 5:28pmGreat idea Alan.

The junior idea is fine in principle. The problem is you never know if you are going to get any juniors at all sometimes so you can go to the trouble of setting out a course like this, which takes man power and not have a runner. Alternatively juniors could start at the top and do a down and up course :-) There'll be a marshall at the top in any event.

Actually it would be interesting for everyone to do a down and up course but there's all sorts of logistics you'd need to sort for that. Another time maybe.
John J BarryJun 21 2013, 2:03pmI do like that Seefingan idea indeed. The ~2km on the bog road back out is awful.

Regarding Juniors, it was noted a number of years back it was unfair to expect juniors to travel by foot 2km to the start line. As a result the idea of the river start was canned.

But an easy alternative, How about sent the short course up the 'track' to Cruagh or Glendoo?

It's approx 5km round trip and it's right beside the start line. There is also an obvious track. (Dublin Peaks guys got an opinion?)

On other matters:

I went for a walk up Kippure recently and I came across a steel bar protruding from the ground. It's about 15cm high and 8mm in diameter. It's approx 150m from the summit and right in the middle of the peat hags through which we will be running. It's near impossible to see (I was walking) and very dangerous. I tried to pull it out but it was having none of it.

I found a bit of old kit nearby and tied it around it. The race marker on Wednesday needs to watch out for it and mark it with tape.
Zoran SkrbaJun 21 2013, 5:01pmWe'll make final decision on Wed. but I'd say it will be the usual route. Sorry for spoiling all the excitement. I had considered the Glendoo/Cruagh option few years ago, but that would mean needing more marshals/volunteers to mark/marshal/de-mark that part of the route for only a couple of juniors that might show up. Thanks for the note John, but that is no different from cut trees/rocks/bog holes or other dangerous terrain one might find out there, so be careful, esp. on the descent!
Brian FureyJun 21 2013, 10:34pmHi Zoran

I'll mark the course.

Brian
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 21 2013, 11:20pmMaybe I'm missing something...but are ye seriously going to send primary school children up Kippure on their own at 7:30?
This seems crazy!
At least if they start when the main field passes they will have plenty of people to look out for them.
Angus TynerJun 22 2013, 7:51amActually the early start will be ahead of them. And as for getting to start, I mentioned to Zoe that she goes with the early start. Alternatively, they could be started at about 7.45 to keep them with main race.

Naturally I'm delighted with initiatives to make junior runs seems more like a mountain run. Zoe did not enjoy Sorrell Hill much with I reckon half her run on the road.

While Zoe is not fussed about being on her own, she also enjoys being with main race and I think some of those that are on a similar level to her enjoy seeing her there as well.
Mick HanneyJun 24 2013, 6:52pmDue to circumstances outside of my control I can't make the race now so have to unvolunteer. Colin if you can make it to step up to first aid I'm sure the RD would appreciate it, thanks.
Zoran SkrbaJun 25 2013, 11:01amNote the registration will close at 7:10pm. Also please try and car pool as much as possible. We'll try the new junior route, from the end of bog road.
Catherine DevittJun 25 2013, 11:22amHi Zoran, please note that I had to pull out of laptop operator role. I've never done this before, nor have I shadowed - so I'd prefer to do shadow laptop operator first. Catherine
David Kelly70Jun 25 2013, 11:33am
Hi,

I'll be heading down to this race leaving Castleknock around 5.45pm if anyone wants a lift. One seat available.

Thanks,

Dave Kelly

OH87 SIX47 SIX819
Karl HeartyJun 25 2013, 4:48pmHi, I am wondering where does one register? At Buglers? Does one then drive up to Featherbed/Miliary road?
What time does registration close?
Thanks!
Karl HeartyJun 25 2013, 5:09pmHi, I am wondering where does one register? At Buglers? Does one then drive up to Featherbed/Miliary road?
What time does registration close?
Thanks!
John J BarryJun 25 2013, 5:23pmFolks,

I'be be leaving Blackrock about 5-5:15 tomorrow for Volunteer duty if anybody want a lift along the way (Nll --> Leopardstown roundabout)

Oh Eight 7 6 Oh 5 8 Oh 9 5

Turlough ConwayJun 26 2013, 10:15amReg location is Feather beds Road (race start) on organisers instructions (Instructions may have been updated since your enquiry).
Angus TynerJun 26 2013, 1:12pmJust added myself to car pool, departing Ashford 18:00 going via Roundwood.
derek kellettJun 27 2013, 12:25amThe 2 ladies who stopped & helped carry the lassie with the twisted ankle out, were two places in front of me when they effectively quit the race. Would it be unreasonable to reinstate them in that position ?

Fair dues to ye both.
Niamh GarveyJun 27 2013, 11:29amHi,
A great race last night - well organised, great craic, gorgeous evening and beautiful bog holes! Just a note to say that Vanessa Sallier was 3rd woman - the girl currently in 3rd position did the early start. Thanks a mill...
Ciaran JohnsonJun 27 2013, 11:38amNew member and first run last night (not my last)

And although I am in the very last photo in the set - yes I had still not finished and was last off the mountain - I thoroughly enoyed the evening.

Well done to all volunteers - without you there would be no event.

Till next time
Jill BarryJun 27 2013, 11:54amHi there,

I would like to greatly thank the lovely people who helped me down the mountain last night. There were quite a few kind people giving me a shoulder to lean on and lots of people asking if i was ok. I am sorry if you lost out on a better position in the race, your kindness was very appreciated. I came into this race with an old ankle injury that i thought was up to the task and unfortunately after the fall i came away with torn ligaments. 6 weeks of no running ahead of me is very gut wrenching.
I was very embarrassed to have held the organisers up at the end when i am sure you would have all preferred to be down in the pub with everyone else, so thank you very much for your patience, and thanks to the lovely man with the motorbike, the chap who gave me first aid and the to the steward who helped also.
Again, my apologies for holding you all up.
Thanks and all the best,
Jill
John McAuleyJun 27 2013, 2:11pmHi all,

Down as a DNF for last night. Actually came in 18th a couple of seconds ahead of Angus Tyner.

Thanks to all the organisers. Great race.
Melanie EarwakerJun 27 2013, 8:57pmIf there are any further discrepancies in the results, please email me directly: melanie.earwaker at imra dot ie. The laptop is on its way to the Connaught Champs so the results won't be updated for a few days.
Rene BorgAug 10 2013, 9:30pmTeam results are up.