Irish Mountain
Running Association

Maurice Mullins 50K

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Fanny GardynJan 3 2024, 5:40pmHi all and happy new year.
Will there be an 80k MMU this year?
Thanks!
Richard NunanJan 4 2024, 3:52pmHi Fanny, there will not be an 80km MMU this year.

But fear not, the 50km will still have Djouce and Maulin for company this year. So it promises to be a challenge on the way out and the way back.

It's the European Qualifiers this year which will he 3500m so we decided that we would give the route a little lift. We should get to 2600M in climb and 50km approx. GPX will be issued before the end of the month. Entries will open end of January.

PLEASE look at the Ultra League on the league page. The team put alot of effort into creating a superr ultra League this year.
Dillon RyanJan 4 2024, 5:30pmHi Richard,

Just out of curiosity/interest sakes. What is the qualifying criteria for the european qualifiers via the 50km MMR?

Cheers
Jemma McCarthyJan 7 2024, 6:56pmHi for the Maurice Mullins, is there a cut off time?

I'm interested but it will be my first 50k - (I have done the bray ecotrail 47km and the seven sisters 30km in the last year). I think it took me around 7 hours to do both of those but I also think I've got some improvement in me!
James HeggieJan 18 2024, 7:56pmHi Richard Hopefully we will get out to do a recce of the new route before the event
Karl BourneJan 22 2024, 7:56amGood morning

Just wondering when the GPX Track will be up for this years MMU? Also when do entries open?
Richard NunanJan 22 2024, 8:10amMorning Karl, Entries open on the 1st of Feb. GPX will be up then. Same route as last year with the addition of Maulin.

Will post link with change later today on the Event Page
Richard NunanJan 22 2024, 8:12amDillon, the qualifying times will be 4hrs 30min for male, 5hrs 30Min for female.
Niamh DreaJan 25 2024, 6:05pmHI Richard,
Like Jemma, I was wondering about the cut off please?
Best wishes.
jerry murphyJan 26 2024, 9:58amHi,

Anyone able to give me a lift from Dublin? Actually I'm coming from Killarney and planning on staying the night before but anyone traveling from Kerry would also work.
Dave DochertyJan 26 2024, 10:19amJerry, keep an eye on the bottom of the event page closer to the race. There'll be plenty of offer put on the carpool from the Dublin area.
Richard NunanJan 27 2024, 12:44pmMorning - cutoffs are update on the events page

Crone Woods Gate(17km): 12:30 Gates (Halfway, 28km): 14:15 Crone Woods Gate(12km from finish): 15:30

That's 3 hours or 4 hours of you do the early start to do 17km. Its the later ones you need to watch for. If it takes you 4 hours plus to go from Crone back over Djouce and Maulin. it will make it a very long day.

Thanks
jerry murphyJan 27 2024, 3:25pmThanks Dave,

Will do
Jason CooperJan 28 2024, 7:21pmAre you allowed poles this year it doesn't say on the description
Lorcan HealyJan 28 2024, 8:54pmHi
Will there be a full 50km GPX file for this year's race? Handy for a few training runs on the course.
Karl BourneJan 28 2024, 9:04pmRichard - thanks for adding the Strava link. Just checking - will we be climbing up Maulin the same way that we descend? E.g. same track down then back up the same way? Cheers
Richard NunanJan 29 2024, 9:03amMorning, to answer a few queries

Jason, Maulin is the only addition to last year - so same rules will apply. No poles. Good shout will add to the page. (last year we had no poles on 80km route also)

Full GPX to follow

Karl, correct same track down and same track back up as per the Strava link.
Dillon RyanJan 29 2024, 10:46amHi Richard,

Thanks for the updates. For the non- strava users , is there a gpx file that could be posted? Even garmin? Thanks a mill
Shane O'MalleyJan 29 2024, 11:43amWorkaround to allow any user download strava GPX without premium account.

https://mapstogpx.com/strava/
Richard NunanJan 29 2024, 1:51pmThis is the route from Pier Gates to Crone and back via Djouce and Maulin

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/13586179224
Dillon RyanJan 29 2024, 3:22pmThanks Richard - it says activity is private so cant see. Could you make this one public? thanks a mill.

Shane - Appreciate it. Couldn't work it out on strava, keeps popping up saying need account.
Alan KennedyJan 29 2024, 3:32pmWill this do?
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2194303
Richard NunanJan 29 2024, 4:58pmDillon - should be ok now. Thanks
jerry murphyJan 29 2024, 5:33pmAlan, that doesn't include Maulin on it
Eoin McDonnellFeb 1 2024, 12:01pmI just signed up. I have the fear.. but looking forward to it.
Eoin HamiltonFeb 1 2024, 1:07pmjust signed up!

here's the route (as per Richard's GPX file) on HiiKER
https://hiiker.app/maps/planned-trails/maurice-mullins--764022
Eric KelleherFeb 15 2024, 1:09pmHowdy folks any reccees going on in the next few weeks ? First time doing this route so planning on coming up from Cork to check it out.
William HopperFeb 22 2024, 10:51amGood morning. I'm new to the association so please forgive my ignorance.
Will race numbers be posted out in advance or is it collection on the day?
Also are poles allowed on this race. Kind regards William Hopper
Mark McInerneyFeb 22 2024, 11:03amHi William,

You're very welcome to IMRA. In regards race numbers, you collect it at your first IMRA race and then keep it for the year and use it again for each race you enter for that year.

I'm not sure on poles, I believe last year they were not allowed but could be wrong.
Alan KennedyFeb 22 2024, 11:25amNo poles allowed on this one, I asked already.
But I am curious as to the reason?
Was looking to use them myself as practice for a longer run that's planned.
Mark McInerneyFeb 22 2024, 11:55amI believe it's a safety issue on an out & back course. Paths/trails can be quite narrow so poles can be a danger when runners approaching each other in opposite directions.
Richard NunanFeb 22 2024, 1:37pmHi Folks,

Mark has already answered correctly in terms of number and poles. Add the boardwalks to the equation.

For those who have been out on the course its pretty cut up. You will also see work has began on removing the boardwalks. Some in very poor conditions. Great to see everyone out doing the recce and cursing the addition of Mauin. We have over 350 in Entries close on the 28th of Feb.
William HopperFeb 22 2024, 10:16pmHi again, sorry for more questions.
Is the course marked or is it self navigation?
Richard NunanFeb 22 2024, 11:15pmHi William, the route is largely self sufficient as it's along the wicklow way.

There will be markers between Maulin down to Crone on the junctions as this is a new route compared to last year, and there are a few ways one may travel. This route is also on the link I posted on events page.

A recce is recomended where feasible. Good to see a crew down from the north last week.
William HopperFeb 25 2024, 9:55pmHi. What's peoples choice on footwear, I'm guessing it's going to be quite soft?
Michael GobleFeb 26 2024, 8:13pmHI all - coming from the United States to run with you all on this one! Couple things I could use some insight on.

1. Is it safe to assume there will be water at the checkpoints? Or only at the turnaround/bag drop.
2. On the gear list they have "waterproof full leg covers". Can anyone offer insight into this item?

Thank you and looking forward to it!

Michael
Michael McSweeneyFeb 26 2024, 8:26pmMichael
''Waterproof full leg cover'' = Rain trousers.
https://www.decathlon.ie/p/121366-179733-men-s-trail-running-waterproof-rain-trousers-black.html or similar.

No idea on the water.
Micheal
Brian RodgersFeb 26 2024, 10:42pmWilliam Hooper on your query about footwear,I did a recce on Saturday on what I think will be the softest part of the course I.e Djouce/Maulin wearing Koka Speedgoats and found them to be spot on. I
That may change obviously depending on weather from now till race day. I hope this helps.
Richard NunanFeb 27 2024, 9:58amHi Michael,

We would encourage you to be as self sufficient as possible. There will be water and Drop bags at the Turning point Glencullen Bridge on Boranaraltry lane (27km).

There will be water at Crone Woods 12km from the finish.

Thanks
Paul FlynnFeb 27 2024, 9:59amAlso note that apart from the Djouce-Maulin section, most of the course is on hard-packed trail, so you probably wouldn't want to be wearing e.g. Mudclaws.

Re water, based on last year there was water at two places only: the turnaround point and at Crone on the way back (but not on the way out).
Richard NunanFeb 27 2024, 10:29amPlease note that Entries close tomorrow.

As per the Purchase page IMRA's policy is - No transfers / refunds are allowed on IMRA purchases -

Thanks again.
Michael GobleFeb 27 2024, 7:40pmMichael McSweeney, Paul Flynn, Richard Noonan - Thank you all so much for the replies and info!
Michael McSweeneyFeb 27 2024, 8:04pmRichard,
I have to ask.
Why is there no water at Crone on the way out, but there is on the way back?
Is it a Leinster water shortage issue?
We can bring up a few liters from Cork if ye are stuck.
Micheal :-)
Richard NunanFeb 27 2024, 9:09pmMichael, we are encouraging everyone to bring a few liters them selves, so they won't need water at 16km into the race.There is a few streams of you are stuck, it's not a Park run like. (You know I'm from Cork right ?)

We try and make the stations a short day for the volunteers. So Crone opens a bit later in the day as it can be a long shift in Crone.

See you on the day.
Michael McSweeneyFeb 27 2024, 9:41pmThanks for the reply Richard.
I'll bring a few extra bottles of water, and a bottle of Tanora for yourself.
Be careful drinking out of those Wicklow streams. You never know where they have been.
See you in a few weeks and thanks for organising.
Micheal. :-)
William HopperFeb 27 2024, 9:51pmGood evening.
Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation.
I'm travelling from mayo so looking for hotel for Friday and possibly Saturday night? Regards William
Ronan DoyleFeb 28 2024, 1:31amTry The Clayton Hotel in leopardstown, the Glendalough hotel,
Kevin BroughtonFeb 29 2024, 3:10pmWilliam there’s a hostel only 3km from Pier Gates car park. Called Lus Mor.
William HopperMar 3 2024, 11:53amGood morning.
Is there a GP file on the new course please.
Thank you
Graham ColmerMar 4 2024, 2:04pmHi,

I'm planning a route recce on Thursday 14th March at 8am from Pier Gates to somewhere just after Maulin and back, around 28k in total. Anyone interested welcome to join. I reckon it will take around 4 hours
Mark SmithMar 9 2024, 7:03amHi folks. Is there a gpx file of the full route? All I can find/see is half the route? Thanks
Eoin HamiltonMar 9 2024, 7:16amHere you go https://hiiker.app/maps/planned-trails/maurice-mullins--764022
Sorcha LoughnaneMar 9 2024, 8:36amHi all, just checking, do our drop bags at Glencullen get brought back to finish line? Thank you!
Richard NunanMar 9 2024, 11:52amA few small notes :

Anything left at the Turnaround point in terms of Drop bags will be disposed.

This is a self-support race - so there are no crews allowed.

Please be aware of the cutoffs in this race :

Crone Woods Gate(17km): 12:30 Gates (Halfway, 27km): 14:15 Crone Woods Gate(12km from finish): 15:30

Please note registration is at the Public Cark park across from the Pier Gates on the Wicklow Way. Registration open at 7:45am for early starts - Please follow marshals directions on the morning. Early Start @ 8:30am

Registration for normal start time opens at 8:30am
jerry murphyMar 10 2024, 11:33amHi,

Anyone travelling from Dublin have space for me?
Kevin BroughtonMar 10 2024, 12:08pmRe the mandatory kit, is it sufficient to have the course on your watch, or does it need to be an actual map with compass - and what map would be best for this area?
Rob TobinMar 10 2024, 8:51pmKevin - I would carry map and compass as phones and watches are only useful for as long as their batteries will last. The Wicklow East map from EastWest Mapping (https://eastwestmapping.ie/product/wicklow-east/) covers all of the course except for the northernmost 1km, a short section of fire road and country lane at Boranaraltry. OSi Discovery Map 56 also covers most of the course but excludes the area at the turnaround.
Miguel FloresMar 10 2024, 9:22pmRichards, this is going to be my first IMRA race, and wanted to ask what is the difference between the 8:30 am vs 9:30 am start.
Thanks.
Miguel
Kevin BroughtonMar 10 2024, 10:38pmThanks Rob, I’d imagine the missing 1km won’t matter as its on road, can’t be too far from civilisation if you do get lost!
Alan KilbrideMar 11 2024, 2:53pmHi there,

I've registered to volunteer at this event, but haven't received any info yet. Just wanted to check I didn't miss an email or anything like that?

Enjoy the tapering everyone!

Thanks,
Alan.
Richard NunanMar 11 2024, 4:55pmHi Alan,

An email will go out this week, looking to see which Volunteer slot you want to take and preferred role - Morning or afternoon
Karl BourneMar 11 2024, 5:00pmRichard - just also checking on the map and compass question for the Kit regs. Is it full map (e.g. EastWest maps or equivalent published map) required?
Richard NunanMar 11 2024, 5:35pmIn terms of Map and Compass - I am going to say given the race is following the Wicklow way - apart from where you step off to go up Djouce and Come down off Djouce and Up and Down Maulin. A map will not be required. GPS advised but we have ran it every year successfully without a MAP.

Due to the different lines I have seen coming down off of Maulin - i am going to mark Maulin to Crone Car Park (and back)

Crone to the Bridge and Back is along the wicklow way - which means out of crone you go left and then right over the bridge and follow the river until you get to yellow man and turn right and off over curtlestown.

If you are found to have left the Wicklow way between Crone and the turn around bridge you will not receive a result.
Richard NunanMar 11 2024, 5:39pmwhat is the difference between the 8:30 am vs 9:30 am start. An hour.

Early start is at 8:30, which means you give yourself an extra hour to make the cut offs. You should take the early start only if you think you will need it. This should be if you are 160% of the winning time plus.

Traditionally if you make the Turn around point before the Top 3 runners, we will hold you until the 3 runners have turned. I think I have only done this twice.
Kevin BroughtonMar 11 2024, 5:47pmThat’s great Richard, thank you
My compass training can stay on the long finger for another while
Kevin BroughtonMar 12 2024, 1:39pmRichard I have another question for you…
We don’t use chips in Munster, and both times I’ve run outside this region we had trackers.
I presume there are no trackers for this race, so does that mean I will need to buy a chip to have my result recorded?
Kevin O'RiordanMar 12 2024, 1:51pmYou get a chip included as part of your IMRA membership fee. The only time you need to pay separately for a chip is if you lose it (the chips are reused every year, unlike the race number bibs).
Kevin BroughtonMar 12 2024, 2:20pmThanks Kevin
….so just to confirm Richard, there will be chips available at registration on the morning for those of us who haven’t collected/used a chip before?
Richard NunanMar 12 2024, 4:46pmAfternoon Kevin,

You wont be required to bring the chip for the MMU. We do not use them for this race. One less Item for you to worry about. Only Maulin and Djouce to think about now on the way back.
Kevin BroughtonMar 12 2024, 5:16pmOK perfect! Thanks a mil
Jeff CurryMar 12 2024, 8:35pmHi. Not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if it is permissible/possible to park overnight in the car park at the start/finish ahead of the race in a campervan?
Richard NunanMar 12 2024, 9:04pmHi Jeff.

You wont be able to park overnight in the Car Park, it will be locked until 7:45am

But there are places across from Lough Tay (500M beyond) where people have parked up previously.
Jeff CurryMar 12 2024, 9:12pmThanks Richard - that other parking spot might be ideal
Gaelan ElliffeMar 12 2024, 11:16pmI've just read this thread now. A query regarding water.

Having ran the race last year and other parts of it a few times, Ive never drank from any of the streams. I have done in numerous mountains but I'm not as familiar with Wicklow and considering it's quite a busy area.

Can anyone recommend at my own risk a likely place to have a decent flow of water on high ground along the route?

Thank you to everyone involved in the planning of this race.
Paul ScottMar 12 2024, 11:43pmI have drunk from the Dargle River that flows over the Powerscourt waterfall regularly with no ill effects. Not too much upstream in terms of pollution sources to be honest. A few sheep obviously. The whole area has been drenched for the last few weeks so it should be full. I wouldn’t trust the rivers lower down. At your own risk though!
Aaron MontgomeryMar 13 2024, 11:53amAre poles allowed? I wasn't planning to use poles but as i've just got over 3 weeks of the man flu and haven't done anything except for the Glenariff race last Saturday just to test the body for this race, so poles might come in handy on this occasion.
Graham K. BusheMar 13 2024, 12:19pmHi Aaron, you may have missed the earlier posts on this thread. Poles are not allowed.
It is also in the Organisers Instructions section of the Event Page.

Best of luck with your continued recovery, and the race.
g
Aaron MontgomeryMar 13 2024, 3:04pmGraham, I didn't spot it on an earlier thread but thank you for confirming. I have a feeling i'll be getting my moneys worth next week LOL.
Paul FlynnMar 15 2024, 10:45amHi Richard,
Just wondering. Will you be publishing a start list ahead of the race?
Thanks, Paul
Eamonn HodgeMar 15 2024, 4:54pmAre many people doing the early start? Normally I'd be within 160% but looking at the results from previous years I'd be over that. Plus it's going to be significantly slower this year with the added height gain. Just don't want to be off running on my own.

Were there many early starters last year?
Richard NunanMar 15 2024, 6:46pmHi Paul,

We dont publish the start list for the race. But there are over 300 entered.

Eamonn Hodge, I would expect the early start to be 60 - 100 people to be an early start. 160% Plus of the finish time. So expected finish time is 4hrs30Min so if you are doing early start you shouldn't finish before 7 hrs and 10minutes . So you shouldnt come over the finish line before 3:30pm really having started at 8:30am
Eoin McDonnellMar 15 2024, 7:34pmThat's really helpful. Thanks Richard
Eoin PhelanMar 18 2024, 1:59pmHi,
i understand that the cutoff for Crone Woods Gate on the way back is 15:30 but what is the cutoff time to reach the finish line?
also will there be enough water at the gate at the halfway point to refill a 2 litre hydration bladder?
thanks,
Eoin
Alison DelahuntyMar 18 2024, 7:21pmHi Richard, I'm down to volunteer at the weekend. I got your email and replied but I got a bounce back that your inbox was full. Happy to help out at the Crone Woods point :) Alison
Richard NunanMar 18 2024, 9:53pmHi Eoin, Thanks for the questions

If you make the cut off in Crone, I will be waiting for you with a Mug !

Can you put 2 liters of water in your Drop Bag - this would ensure you have 2 liters to fill your bladder. Not looking like a very warm day out there so far.
Emma StuartMar 19 2024, 7:01amHi! I'm flying to Dublin Friday night for my first IMRA race! I'm staying in the city centre and wondering if anyone can offer me a lift to the start please? Thanks!
Mark SmithMar 19 2024, 7:12amHi Emma, I’m driving down from dublin. I can give you a lift. My number is +447922 819044 If anyone else needs a lift let me know. Cheers
Mike JordanMar 19 2024, 8:00amHi. I have a carpool set up (see bottom of Event Details page). Space for one or two more if anyone needs a lift from Dublin.
Joe WarneMar 19 2024, 1:38pmHi there, can I please have some more info about the Drop bag. Should we put it in an obvious bag for easy identification? how are they organised at the drop point? are we allowed to leave other water bottles in them and get them back at the end? Many thanks
Richard NunanMar 20 2024, 7:26amHi Joe,

Yes please make it easy to know its yours.

We will not be brining anything back from the Bridge to the end - we will have bags there for you to dispose of any rubbish. So please anything in a drop bag will either be carried by you or placed in a rubbish bag

Thanks
Fionn HigginsMar 20 2024, 10:02amHi all,
About the map and compass, is a GPX loaded on watch enough or does it need to be a paper OS map and a real compass instead of watch compass
Cheers
Fionn
Shane KennyMar 20 2024, 10:35amJust to be clear, our drop bags need to be disposable as they won't be brought back to the start/finish line ?
Paul FlynnMar 20 2024, 11:03amFionn, map question was already answered above:

"A map will not be required. GPS advised but we have ran it every year successfully without a MAP. "

Shane, correct, bags won't be brought back to the start/finish. People typically use a zip-lock bag or similar.
Liam VinesMar 21 2024, 10:25amNot long now…
I will be bringing the drop bags from the start to the turnaround point. Man with the black van….
If you write your race number on your drop bag in some way we can sort them into some kind of order might make finding it a bit quicker.
Richard NunanMar 21 2024, 11:08amAs Liam says, it wont be long now. We are Parking in a Public Car Park on Saturday - It can be tight on car parking. In terms of Sustainability and trying to save on space - Can we please make an effort to Car Pool.

Thanks all, looks like we will have a windy one !
Warren SwordsMar 21 2024, 11:48amIs there a start list so we can start speculating who will blow up on Maulin, the over confident roadies and who will definitely miss the turn off back to Crone?
Eoin KeithMar 21 2024, 12:11pmWarren, I'm currently trying to follow what it happening in the Barkley, so I'll reply in the style of Keith Dunn

Yes, there is a start list.
John Murphy74Mar 21 2024, 12:26pmEoin, in that vain I can confirm that a short man will be starting.
Alan KennedyMar 21 2024, 12:29pmFor some of us First-Timers this is our Barkley!! #MM50
Karl BourneMar 21 2024, 12:30pmIs Richard going to blow the Conch at the start line? That would definitely make it more Barkley-esque. I'm just hoping I don't forget we are heading up Maulin instead of peeling off down the Wicklow Way towards Crone! @Liam - noted. Race number will be on drop bag cheers
Warren SwordsMar 21 2024, 12:43pm@keith - Ha!

In that vain, looking forward to Richard declaring one of the entrants to be the "human sacrifice" at the start.
Alan KennedyMar 21 2024, 1:16pmIs Miriam running? She is No.1 after all ;-)
Miriam MaherMar 21 2024, 1:38pmNow Alan, whatever are you suggesting about my running ability ;-)

I will be there...but only to wave you all off and welcome each one of you back. The 'human sacrifice' will be your collective experiences :-)
Brendan LawlorMar 22 2024, 11:25amHi all

The car park ( which is provided to us by local landowner Peter Kennedy, for which we are very grateful) will open in the morning at 7.30am. A few gentle reminders
- please carpool if possible as we will be sharing the car park with regular hill walk users
- please park as neatly as possible , starting at the end corner of the car park.. we hope to have one or two parking marshals to help us with this ( feel free to help out especially for the first half hour as Richard and the registration team get set up)
- please leave no litter in the car park
- the coffee outlet will hopefully be open if you need a little wake up before your run

Finally we will be giving priority to early starters for the first hour of registration so please help us with that if you are taking the normal start

Good luck to you all tomorrow, especially those hoping to make the Irish team later this year !
Richard NunanMar 22 2024, 12:18pm- Early Start registration is at 7:45am
- Normal Start registration is at 8:30am

Please do not come to Registration before 8:30 if you are doing the normal start.

Please bring your smile as Brendan tends to be Grumpy at 7:30am .. thanks in advance to all the volunteers who will cheer you around the course.

Just a small reminder that crews are not allowed, there will be Volunteers at the designated points to help you with the bottles of water etc....

Remember nooone has ever said to me at the Maurice Mullins race - Jeez i went out to slow! Enjoy !
Hamish GillespieMar 22 2024, 3:24pmSorry i've missed this elsewhere but my first imra race

Can anybody go for early start?
Paul FlynnMar 22 2024, 3:41pmAlready answered above:

"Early start is at 8:30, which means you give yourself an extra hour to make the cut offs. You should take the early start only if you think you will need it. This should be if you are 160% of the winning time plus.

Traditionally if you make the Turn around point before the Top 3 runners, we will hold you until the 3 runners have turned. I think I have only done this twice."
Laszlo BarkocziMar 22 2024, 4:00pmHi guys, what time registration closes for the 9:30 start? Don't want to cut it too tight, but the later I. wake up my girls, the less crying I have to listen in the car! Thanks
Richard NunanMar 22 2024, 8:42pmRegistration will close at 9:15am for normal start time.
Race Briefing will be 9:25
Go time 9:30

For the race start as we pass up through the forest, you need to stay on the path and run to the Marshall before turning up the Boardwalk - please do not take short cuts through the forest !

REMINDER : No Crews please !

Morning Volunteers will meet at 7:30am where Brendan will open the gates, registration will be open at 7:45am, sign in get your number and good to go. Race Briefing for early start will be 8:25am
olejniczak alaMar 23 2024, 7:38amHi, we are at Pier Gates as we want to do early start, and now one hear.
Kacper CzerpakMar 23 2024, 6:32pmWhere can I see the results?
Rory CampbellMar 23 2024, 6:43pmWhat a day! Thanks a million to all the volunteers. What great organisation and support. And what a route. Any hardship endured was neutralised by the nicest sausage rolls in wicklow.
Sorcha LoughnaneMar 23 2024, 7:17pmHi Richard, huge thanks to you, Miriam and crew for an amazing day. The course was obviously horrific as intended but THE SAUSAGE ROLLS.
Jim WalshMar 23 2024, 7:51pmMany thanks Richard et al. Definitely type 2 fun, if not bordering on type 3. Sausage rolls were indeed ace.
Alan KennedyMar 23 2024, 7:54pmThanks Richard for a brilliant (but tough) race. Also to Miriam, Mick and all the volunteers who had an even longer day than us. But special shoutout to the lads in the car park. The place was jammed but they managed to square everyone away with friendly banter and smiles despite the weather at the start. And that plus all the runners I chatted to on the run is the IMRA I love.
David DunneMar 23 2024, 8:09pmThanks Richard and to your crew of fantastic volunteer helper, marshals & organisers of stuff.
A mighty bunch altogether.
Was Some event today.
Dave DochertyMar 23 2024, 8:10pmMassive thanks to Richard and crew. The additional mountains add significantly to the fun pain and fun suffering. Only compensated by the joy of actually finishing and savoury treats!
Rob TobinMar 23 2024, 8:20pmThanks Richard and volunteers for a bumper day out in the hills. Somehow the second ascents of Maulin and Djouce weren't half as hard as trying to stay upright in crosswinds on the boardwalk from White Hill back to the JB Malone. There were many times today when I was kept going by the thought of a sausage roll at the finish line. Superb organisation, well done and thanks to everyone involved.
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusMar 23 2024, 8:23pmThank you very much for everyone involved in the event.
You were all amazing
Craig ZambraMar 23 2024, 8:32pmThanks to Richard & all the volunteers for a mad day out.
Djouce was extremely tough on the way back, the climb and the wind.
Barry McEvoyMar 23 2024, 8:35pmThere is not a Sausage roll in the world that would get me out in those conditions again for a very long time!!
Thanks Rich and crew for been out there all day long.
Brian PurcellMar 23 2024, 8:39pmTo all volunteers thanks for the support, Richard, I'm genuinely worried for what you will do next year, that's my 3rd Maurice Mullins Ultra and the toughest by far, the wind definitely did not help, but he banter along the way was brilliant. Fair play to all, love the mug and the food after was delicious
Alan MaherMar 23 2024, 8:43pmAnother well organised IMRA event. Thanks to all the volunteers who braved the elements.
Anthony SheridanMar 23 2024, 9:10pmThanks so much to Richard and all the crew. A really challenging event in the conditions particularly going over Djouce. I had a few falls during the event and want to thank my fellow participants who helped me get back to my feet / asked about how I was feeling. The overall atmosphere of the event is so positive and I will really value the lovely mug as it was hard earned!
Richard NunanMar 23 2024, 9:31pmWell done to all who ran today, so happy that everyone enjoyed the weather and the new route - 51km and 2600m. Not often you can slide while getting sun burn or frost bite and a facial all on the same day. It actually looked warmer running. That was the worst weather since 2012 on the route.

Well done to the Podium of ladies with Emma Stuart 1st, Sorcha Loughnane 2nd and Laura o Driscoll 3rd. Mens Barry mcEvoy 1st , Eddie o Connor and Enda Cloake 3rd.

For these events it takes an IMRA village of volunteers and we were delighted that everyone had a good race in some testing conditions.

So thanks to Miriam and Liam who had the all day shift with myself. To Brendan, Leo and Alan for getting the party started early. To the Bridge crew of Anto, Niall, Karol Mick(first Aid at Finish also) and Richard. To the finish line crew, Ciara, Niclola, Stephen, Sile, Robert, Deirdre and Hilary with her fab mugs ! To Joe, Nora and Alison at Crone. Apologies if I missed anyone. Fingers Thawing out.

Results will be up tomorrow before Lunch. Great to hear all the storys of runners helping other runners, thats what we are about !
Damien HarnettMar 23 2024, 10:52pmThanks to Richard and all the team. Tough route and condition brutal but I still enjoyed. Thanks to all who were hanging around in freezing conditions waiting for us to finish
James HeggieMar 23 2024, 11:41pmThank you Rich , Miriam and crew it was an awesome day I can safely say now I have warmed up and legs elevated . This was my 3rd MM and just by the time alone can see how the bar on difficultly was raised 7hrs , 7.50, 9.07.53 . The weather was tough going especially being blown of the boardwalks numerous times between Djoice and Sally Gap. Must say it’s great to have the pottery cups back they look amazing and it might drag me back again next year !!!!
David JonesMar 24 2024, 6:24amThank you to Richard and all the crew and helpers. Definitely the most challenging ascent of Djouce on the return leg I’ve experienced and then the boardwalks were like something out of squid games. Great event and really good atmosphere as per all IMRA events.
Brian RodgersMar 24 2024, 6:53amMany many thanks Richard,Liam,Miriam and all the crew today. Tough conditions to run in but even worse for standing around. Didn't know about the sausage roll until I finished. I thought I died and went to heaven they were that tasty. Much appreciated. Hats off to you all.
Eoin HamiltonMar 24 2024, 7:44amThat was nasty. Fair play to everyone that ran that. I think I'll be having nightmares about the descent from djouce for a while.

Thanks Richard, Miriam, Liam and the organisers. I will think of you as I'm cursing any future climbs of Maulin.

The coffee in my cup tastes so much better this morning.
Neil GunningMar 24 2024, 8:22amI just want to say thanks to Richard and all the crew yesterday what an amazing race, a mental race with the weather and conditions, but made finishing it all the more rewarding. Maulin on the way back I found the hardest. The descent of Djouce was crazy but the one time my bodyweight came in handy haha 2024 mug is sitting proudly beside my 2019 Mug
Eoin HamiltonMar 24 2024, 8:43amI'd also like to apologise to everyone getting a push notification from HiiKER this morning. I incorrectly set the date of the race to the 24th
Rachel HarneyMar 24 2024, 9:39amWow that was some race!! I'll need a few days to mentally recover from that one! Thank you so much to all who organised and volunteered in that weather! I actually thoroughly enjoyed it despite the hardship.
Derek JonesMar 24 2024, 9:53amA true test of strengths & weaknesses, it was all there y'day.
Thanks to the many runners I battled over the course (so many I apologise I can't remember all the names)
and to right finish line (Well done Colin you made your move early
coming into the forest and it payed off)

To all the crew & volunteers, many thanks for your help & encouragement.
Thoroughly enjoyed that day - Up IMRA
GARY ARBUTHNOTMar 24 2024, 10:51amThank you to all involved in making the race yesterday happen. Brutal and brilliant in equal measure, wind on the sleepers was the stuff of nightmares. But still a great day out in the hills.
Liam VinesMar 24 2024, 10:55amWell done to all who took to the hills yesterday in very tough conditions, I was only a little bit jealous.
There was stuff in the drop bags that should.t have been in them. The Irish Times being one thing but more so t-shirts gloves running vest bottles and stuff like that.
You are not getting any of it back as you were told many times that bags won't be returned.
Good news is they are all being washed and will be put in with the rest of Andy's gear for Trail Criu.
As for the unopened sweets and gels they have also found a good home .Mine.
An ultra event is never going to win any environmental awards but I have done my best to sort all the waste into the correct bins.
Hope everyone recovers and is ready to go again soon.
Liam
Eoin McDonnellMar 24 2024, 11:10amMany thanks to all the people staffing the event. It really is appreciated
John Garry MooreMar 24 2024, 12:36pmWhat a great race!! Loving the new route as well :) big thank you to all involved putting on this awesome race :) also who made the sausage rolls and will you share your recipe? Best veggie sausage rolls ever!!
Peter DoyleMar 24 2024, 1:24pmThanks to all the team at IMRA that made yesterday such a special event.
A real hard day at the office with more than one kitchen sink thrown at us but worth it for the mug, welcoming & smiling faces and sausage rolls at the end.
Having done the MM a few times previously I can say that it is a whole new race with the 4 mountain tops added - looking back fondly on the "easy" days when we just had to stick to the Wicklow Way :-)
Fauth AdrienMar 24 2024, 3:11pmThank you to the organization for this amazing event despite the crazy weather. We really went to war yesterday ! Some of the pictures from yesterday are in very low quality (the pre-race briefing for example) any chance to have them in better quality ? Looking forward to see the results as well !

Thanks again it was amazing and the mug is a very good memory of it !
Colin doyleMar 24 2024, 3:12pmWhat a great event, hats off to all the organisers and volunteers and much appreciated IMRA members who came out to support.
Apologies to Richard for coming in hot at the end but I couldnt let Gerry and Derek catch me!! Sorry lads.
I hadnt run the MM previous years so I cant compare, but that was a truly epic challenge and surely a new bucket list entry for members. Looking forward to next year.
John J BarryMar 24 2024, 3:23pmHuge thanks to Thanks Richard, Miriam, Liam and all the other volunteers for yesterday’s event. The two girls in Crone were wonderfully supportive and Liam for kicking me out of Crone as I was getting too comfortable. His line, something like “The finish is not getting any closer” was class.
I don’t know how the criteria is decided on the cutoffs but for me been a backmarker it’s always a concern and it decides what events I can do. Yesterday’s 1530 hours for Crone was ideal for me as I arrived in with 15 minutes to spare. Descending Djouce two hours later I realised how important the cut off was. Conditions had gone from bad to worse and I thought it would not a place to be 30/60 minutes later with the light severely deteriorating.

I had dozens of people say “Hello John” to me of which I didn’t respond to half of them. Apologies my brain wasn’t working too well so I only worked out who said ‘hello’ five minutes later
John DohertyMar 24 2024, 3:58pmHi All,

A friend of ours, Eoin MacMahon took part in the race yesterday but hasn't made contact with family or friends since around 7pm yesterday evening. He might have lost his phone or ran out of battery.
Did anyone here see him after the race or possibly give him a lift somewhere?

Thanks,
John
Richard NunanMar 24 2024, 4:08pmJohn can you give me a call on 087 2072283
Richard NunanMar 24 2024, 4:17pmJust to confirm speaking to John there - Eoin finished race about 4:30, Txt his family about 7:00. Someone may have dropped Eoin to Heuston to get the Train to Limerick or given him a lift. So just double checking he is ok !
Richard NunanMar 24 2024, 4:35pmThanks John Barry - alot of thought goes into these things to Cater for everyone. We are very happy everyone ran a good race considering the weather.

Results are up!

I want to take the time to thanks Niall from biking.ie Niall was racing in the event - Top 10 finish, But took the time to loan us again his trailer! It was a very necessary for the sausage rolls !

Thanks to Kitchen 28 Kilcoole - They were pretty amazing to deal with for the Vegan,Veggie and normal Sausage rolls (Liam is the connect )
Colin doyleMar 24 2024, 4:42pmThanks Richard. How do I go about correcting an incorrect time on the results? There is an hour extra on my time, possible mix up as an early starter?? Thanks
Richard NunanMar 24 2024, 4:54pmYou can email results at IMRA.ie or myself. I will get that corrected, thanks. So no need to email Colin
John DohertyMar 24 2024, 5:01pmHi All,

Eoin just arrived in the door at home about 10 minutes ago.
All good.

Cheers,
John
Michael McSweeneyMar 24 2024, 5:37pmGood to hear John.
Alex KirwanMar 24 2024, 6:15pmThank you Richard and team for an epic event. The addition of Maulin is class! Just a brilliant day out with brilliant people.

Thanks to all the runners who stopped to help me as I slipped on those damn sleepers right at the end! Considering that was the last sprint and so, so close to home it sums up what the IMRA community is all about. Thank you!
Eoin Mac MahonMar 24 2024, 6:20pmApologies for the hassle. Dead phone
John O'BrienMar 24 2024, 7:12pmHuge thanks to Richard and crew for running a fantastic event. Tough as hell, but brilliant. Great day on the hills with great people. Hope everyone is enjoying the recovery.
James HeggieMar 24 2024, 7:42pmHi Richard I was an early stater but I don’t think my
Result reflects that, I need to add on an hour I’m afraid .
Fauth AdrienMar 24 2024, 8:55pmHello Richard, same for me I was in the early wave not the 9.30 one ! Pretty sure it’s been the fact for a lot of us !
Ronan LambeMar 24 2024, 8:57pmThank you Richard and all the volunteers for braving those conditions to deliver a fantastic race. Liam, just to solve the Irish Times puzzle, it was used to wrap two soft flasks…I promise I wasn’t planning a little coffee and read of the paper at the halfway point!
Wiola GormanMar 24 2024, 9:37pmHi Richard, Thanks for another MM race day, Can I get a finish time for Race number 1931 as it doesn't appear on the results list.
Wiola Gorman
Aaron MontgomeryMar 24 2024, 10:07pmHi Richard. Thanks for such a great race. I have just seen my result and it 50 mins more than my actual time of 7hr 50min. Could someone possibly have a look and amend accordingly. Thanks Aaron (2504).
Andrew McGibbonMar 24 2024, 10:11pmFabulous race with lots of great memories. Thanks to all involved.
Gerard TullyMar 25 2024, 8:21amGreat day out I see on the results my number 1716 was mixed up with 1766 no worries unless 1766 annoyed with my slow time!
Colm NewportMar 25 2024, 8:34amHi Richard, thanks to you and all the volunteers for a great day! Great course and all weathers. I collected number 1321 instead of my assigned number 1231 but didn't realise until home. I have returned the incorrect number to Liam Vines. By my watch I finished in 8 hrs 15 mins. I see result is not recorded. Is it possible to get a result? Thanks, Colm
Jeff SwordsMar 25 2024, 9:16amMorning,

We're aware of a number of corrections to be made to the current result set and of additions that need to be made so bear with us while we collate them all and update the results.
Richard NunanMar 25 2024, 9:32amAs the dust settles and the recovery improves. Just want to say we had a great race and it was really well received by everyone.

The feedback I got was so positive it makes it all worth while. It was the most competitive Female and Male field we have ever had and it was great to see the female participation up on last year.

While I can't comment on the weather for next years course - it sounds like the new route was well appreciated and the cut offs worked !

So next year we will remove the early start. Start the race at 9:00pm and move the cutoffs forward by 30 Minutes. A better race experience for all - and we really need to work on the CAR POOLING ! Thanks again everyone for a great day !
Ross DonovanMar 25 2024, 9:32amHi there just to let you know I was on the 9.30 start not the 8 30 and finished just after S.Giraud. Thanks for a great race all
Steven PettigrewMar 25 2024, 9:41amThanks to Richard and the team for organising the misery.

The mug from Cranmore is brilliant and the veggie sausage rolls were a triumph.

Never again.
Samuel FoxMar 25 2024, 10:14amWhat's all this about sausage rolls? Missed that in my delirious walk back to the car to patch up my wounds. Savage climbing and wind. Thanks to all volunteers for a great race and day out.
Eoin HamiltonMar 25 2024, 10:28am9 PM Start? Wild!
Conall FinnMar 25 2024, 10:49amWell done all on delivering a top class 50K event. The course route certainly marked a large step up in the difficulty rating, when compared to previous years course. For me that is a positive factor, as the international team qualifier, the racers need to be challenged.

When racers go International events the elevation profile is likely to be similar if not even more severe, although it would be hard to top wind weather challenge coming back up Djouce into an 40-80k/hr headwind, or the boardwalk hot stepper assault course.

The IMRA banter as racers battled the elements.

Some super supporters out on the course shouting on encouragement.

Richard as the RD keeping a tab on everything, the half-way pep' talks from Liam Vines & Mick H (Don't stay here long lads...), the savage sausage rolls (Síle) and a well earned MMU '24 Mug of firey hot tea after crossing the finish line.

The crew made sure all the runners were accounted for.

All in all it was a great race.
Andrew HayesMar 25 2024, 12:10pmMany thanks to all who helped make a very challenging but great race.
This was my first IMRA race, in at the deep end but the comradery and soundness of all involved made it a great introduction to mountain running.

Just to mention, I was handed my name sake's bib 1893 instead of 1247 at registration, as this was my first race I didn't know any different.
So I didn't get a result. I finished a few seconds behind Clare K. (that was me Clare down at the bridge waiting for G. C. ) if that helps but I see she didn't get a result either.

Anyways, many thanks again Richard, Miriam, Liam and all volunteers for memorable day out.
Anne LyonsMar 25 2024, 12:15pmThanks so much to all volunteers and race directors for their time and patience Saturday,absolutely loved it, although winds were terrible ,thank Miriam ,it was you who encouraged me long before Saturday to try an ultra, it was great to see yourself,meave and Stephen and others who I’m not sure of names, sausage rolls amazing thank you,see you again nx year
Peter KehoeMar 25 2024, 6:36pmBrilliant day out, thanks to all the volunteers for giving up so much of their time to make it happen and organising epic weather conditions....
Martin CullenMar 25 2024, 7:10pmAs per all comments. Great day out on the hills. The sprinkle of snow was magical, not so much the wind. Thanks for putting on a great event.
Maike JürgensMar 26 2024, 10:25amWell done all who volunteered and ran. On Sunday, Alice and myself retrieved a red 2022 MMU hat near the top of Maulin at the stile. If it is yours, please reply. If not claimed but mid April-ish, it’ll go to Trail Criu.
Brian KitsonMar 27 2024, 8:27amThat was some race, well done everyone who contributed in any way. I put up a report.
Miriam MaherMar 27 2024, 8:45amSuperb report Brian, you never let us down. Feel I should apologise for the very slow moving reg line though. Truth was that my fingers were so frozen, moving the sheets to find the names was a matter of slow motion. Hats off (which seemed to have happened anyway without my urging) to all of you hardy souls that took on the ultra on Saturday! Hope you are all savouring your coffee/tea/something stronger out of your lovely mugs:)
Matthew BranchMar 27 2024, 9:16amThoroughly enjoyed your race report Brian. Great writing.
Alan KennedyMar 27 2024, 9:33amBrilliant report Brian and summed up the race and conditions perfectly. It can be nice to read about somebody else's suffering that closely matched your own.
Warren SwordsMar 27 2024, 10:13amGreat race report Brian. Brilliant stuff.
Andrew HanneyApr 1 2024, 7:29pmI took 100s of photos of this race at Crone over the course of the morning. But unfortunately uploading them in the usual way doesn't work. I'll upload them when its working again.
Jeff SwordsApr 2 2024, 3:16pmHi,

I think I may have caught most of the updates required to people's times at this point but I think there may be one or two stragglers with either an incorrect time or missing result altogether (I know at least one person missing who's watch also died so I'm trying to find out when you finished at the moment).

If you've still got an outstanding issue mail imraresults at gmail dot com with your finishing time and race number.
John Garry MooreApr 3 2024, 11:48amGood morning

About the race results, do you not have a list of the participants and their race numbers that started early and just add the extra 1 hour and 9 minutes to their time? Seems pretty straightforward to be honest, I started the normal time which was 9 minutes later than supposed to be at 9:39am whereas the early start went off at 8:30am on the dot but yet even though I finished the race ahead of a good few of the early starters you still recorded them as finishing ahead of me by knocking the 1 hour 9 minute head start off their finishing time!! So why not use the early starter list that was taking at the start of the race and just add the time to the people who stated early rather than waiting for people to come forward as I can still see a few that I know started early being placed before me and just behind me on the finishers results? Seems easy enough.

Also I know this probably has been answered before but why wasn’t the electronic tag system not used for this race especially with the high number of runners taking part this year?

Anyways hope all is well and looking forward to the next one.
Richard NunanApr 3 2024, 2:36pmHi John,

Yes we had an early start and added an hour as you mentioned.
Normal race time was 9:40 We have volunteers for 12 hours - so to cut down on hours we use Mannual scoring.

We are working on a new system - looking forward to perhaps having thar in place next year.
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusApr 3 2024, 3:21pmIn relation to Mr Moore's comment, while it would be ideal to have 100% accurate results, the importance of precision is not paramount in an event like this; we're not solely focused on track times.

The race was fantastic, a wonderful experience to be among other runners braving the elements, and, in contrast to the rising costs of everything else, the ticket price was quite reasonable.

Besides, you have your Garmin time as a personal record.
John Garry MooreApr 3 2024, 5:29pmThanks for that Richard,

Regarding the person there that also replied to my comment placing and time especially in this race are important to be accurate as this race in particular is used by many runners to get pre approval for the Wicklow way race so if your time is incorrect and in this instance off by an hour and 10 minutes it’s all the difference between getting approval and not getting approval, also the other thing is that this is a RACE so placing is important.