Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Sugar Bowl

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanJun 22 2009, 8:57pmHi Folks,

I am looking for a First Aid Person for the Sugar Bowl otherwise I have enough helpers for this race.

But don't forget there is a BBQ after the race and help is definitely needed for that.There will be a notice on the forum about this shortly.
Edward BatemanJul 3 2009, 11:52amSorry, i volunteered and then saw the forum message so i will unvolunteer.
garrett murphyJul 7 2009, 10:05am
hi vivian

happy to help out where needed for the Bowl race if you're still looking for people...

i will be running this one though

cheers, thanks

garrett
michael mccannJul 8 2009, 10:24pmvivian,

if you need a first aid guy im available ...

mick 086 6265288
eddie doneganJul 10 2009, 7:02pmhi i see that i'm down as a non runner would it be possible to run this event and volunteer?
Rene BorgJul 12 2009, 2:15pmMyself and Jason Kehoe did a run of the route today and cursed ourselves for forgetting machetes.

The route is very badly overgrown on the first half of the uphill and a few spots of the downhill. I'm sure the race organisers have this covered, but just in case they haven't checked it yet, the route, as is, will need a bit of cultivating to be able to facilitate a race (either that or the later parts of the field will enjoy an advantage the earlier runners didn't!

Luckily the route doesn't go straight back to the car park anymore as a huge thorny branch now hangs over the path seemingly designed to decapitate hill runners of around 6 foot. I've written a mental note not to run this path at night...

Disclaimer: No one was hurt in the execution of this recce.
Brendan DohertyJul 12 2009, 9:13pmHello there Rene
Tut,tut-I thought you Danes were prepared to shed blood in the conquest of Irish soil-maybe things have changed for the worst since Viking times.
Relax,all is under control-as a part of Vivian's all-seeing team, I can say a solution will be in place by Monday.
Also,as a very delicate finding from the team's recent reconnaisance, we have come across a pair of (surely) ladie's Nike running shoes (trendy black with pink piping plus twee striped pink and grey running socks) left outside the Kilmacanogue GAA grounds sometime today, Sunday.
I can't think they belong to either Rene or Jason (unless they say otherwise!), but there may be an IMRA lady who might lay claim to them.
See you all on Wednesday, for certainly an IMRA highlight event
cormac o ceallaighJul 13 2009, 8:17amIt was the same last year, a few days before hand however Gordon Douglas and myself spent an hour or so cutting with the hedge clippers and others implements to clear the path , so runners would not get shredded by the briars and gorse. Great way to get rid of stress! , so if you 've had a demanding day at work today head to sugar loaf armed with clippers and bowsaw!
cormac o ceallaighJul 13 2009, 8:17amIt was the same last year, a few days before hand however Gordon Douglas and myself spent an hour or so cutting with the hedge clippers and others implements to clear the path , so runners would not get shredded by the briars and gorse. Great way to get rid of stress! , so if you 've had a demanding day at work today head to sugar loaf armed with clippers and bowsaw!
Dan MorrowJul 14 2009, 5:50pmHi- my Mother (50-something years old) was hoping to run in the race tomorrow- it is her first time running in a hill race, so I was wondering will there be an early-starters group?

Thanks,

Dan
Marlon DaviesJul 14 2009, 6:57pmI am supposed to bringing a salad tomorrow but a family emergency has come up and I won't be able to come to the race (or bring a salad). I am really sorry for this short notice. Wasn't sure who to let know. Again..sorry!
Sonja FuhrmannJul 14 2009, 7:03pmHi, I will bring in a salad tomorrow instead!
Vivian O'GormanJul 14 2009, 10:37pmThere will be an early start for those who want it at 7pm.

Just see me first.

Diarmuid O'ColmainJul 15 2009, 8:58amRace Route
Route (same as last few years, with perhaps very minor variations)
The race starts on the road leading from Kilmacanogue to the GAA pitches on the side of the Sugarloaf. The Start is about 200 metres before you reach the GAA ground and the race essentially goes clockwise around the Sugarloaf, with a quick but steep diversion up a gully to the top on the way around. Having exchanged pleasantries with the marshal at the top of the mountain you turn around and come back down the gully and essentially continue your circumnavigation of the mountain. The route is fully marked.

Comments
The initial 400 metres or so of the race are on tarmac road surface, wide enough to allow lots of overtaking. Then the route turns right onto a single track for around 400 metres. It is virtually impossible to pass anyone on this stretch (apart from a 5 metre section half way along) and you are better off just settling in and accepting this reality.

Then it’s a few more hundred metres of mainly wide track, followed by 500 or 600 metres of narrow single track with no overtaking possibilities. To the left of this track there are lots of ferns; beware that in some cases these disguise a drop of a metre or more.

After that it’s every man and woman for him/herself! Except that the last few hundred metres are also quite narrow so you need to acquire your preferred finishing position before or during your descent of the hill – and the steepish descent is quite tricky in parts.

Other Comments
Colleagues and Comrades of IMRA be not afraid! My good friend and fellow crusader Rene Borg may have alarmed you with his account of the overgrown nature of the race route. In fact as race marker I was curious and set out to investigate matters, secure in my smug assessment of Rene’s comments as being over the top. However, as I battled my way through impenetrable rain-sodden Amazonian jungle, I had reluctantly to concede that Rene had a point. Eventually I was beaten back by the metres high, dense undergrowth, surrounded by swarms of mosquitoes, as the snakes pursued me past the croaking crocodiles.

Extricating myself with my life just about intact I wondered would we have to abandon the race – Sugarbowl BBQ sans race?? What a horrible thought. But I need not have feared, help was at hand; that well-known Amazon explorer disguised as a one man gardening army, known to some of us as Brendan Doherty, leaped into action and spent countless hours on the hill on Monday, clearing the downhill part of the race. In fact, not only did Brendan clear the race route, he also cleared the access point from the GAA pitches to allow the crowds of spectators to congregate at a point a few hundred metres from the end to cheer on their heroes and heroines.

A lesser man would have put his feet up in the delights of a sunny tropical island to recover from his extraordinary efforts, but not Brendan. Back he came again yesterday to brave the wild dogs, alligators and other hazards to clear the uphill route, replacing the overgrown narrow track by what is to all intents and purposes an asphalted 2 lane motorway. All that it alcks now are the road markers to guide the tourists on their way, and I will add them this afternoon.

Ok boys and girls, I may have gilded the lily just a bit, but actually Brendan has done an immense job, many, many hours of hacking at ferns to open up the race route. Looking at it now, you really cannot imagine what it was like before he got at it. Thanks Brendan, I definitely owe you a pint(s).

Amidou DembeleJul 15 2009, 10:13amHi Vivian,
I volunteered at this event for helping but I was registered automatically has a nonrunner but I would to run too. Please Is there a possibility to combine both?
Thanks,
Amidou
Caroline ReidJul 15 2009, 11:55amHi Amidow,

That shouldn't be a problem. If you just tell Vivian when you report for duty this evening at 5:45pm :)

See you later
Shay FoodyJul 15 2009, 1:14pmIt is possible to get to this event using public transport. Dublin bus have an Expresso service leaving Eden Quay at 17:30. The route number is 84X

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x/

Make sure you get on the bus going to Newtownmountkennedy (and not the 84X* going to Kilcoole departing at the same time). The bus ticket is €3.50.

The more frequent 145 bus also goes to Kilmacanogue but I'm not sure how long it would take as it goes through Bray.
Amidou DembeleJul 15 2009, 1:41pmthanks Caroline.
Amidou
Michael BligheJul 15 2009, 4:02pmIs the Glencormac Inn the best place to park?
Brían O'MearaJul 16 2009, 10:07amHi,

Last night's race was great. Very enjoyable. Thanks to all the organisers.

In terms of the results, I finished just behind Mick Hanney and ahead of Paul Mitchell and James Alexander. Any chance the results list could be amended to reflect this?

Thanks,

Brían O'Meara
Jim FitzharrisJul 16 2009, 10:45amBrian,

I was on the laptop last night and there was a bunch of runners who all came in at the same time (37:11). The volunteers on the finish line would have recorded the correct order of finishers but on the laptop, it ordered them differently. I have the manual results sheets at home (they are done in duplicate by two separate teams for greater accuracy) and I will check these later so that we can correct the order on the database. This will mean adding a second here and there to some of the runners' times to get the order right but that matters little in the interest of getting the correct finishing sequence.

While on the subject of the results, there are a few small points to be cleared up.

Please check the results, especially the finishing order if you were in a bunch, and report any apparent anomalies. The finish at the Sugarloaf is one of the most hectic because it is a short race with a large number of participants, there is a lot of bunching on the final approach and the runners appear to come out of nowhere at the end as there is no long line of sight at the finish line.

Two runners (nos 807 and 1712) were on the registration sign-in sheets but were not recorded as finishing on the laptop or on either of the manual results sheets. Accordingly, they were marked as DNF. On the assumption that they are not still wandering around on the upper slopes of the Sugarloaf (!), could they please let me know what happened? If you do not wish to reply on the forum, send me a private email to jim (dot) fitzharris (at) smurfit kappa (dot) com.

Also, I am sure that Gordon Douglas was an early starter and we need his correct time.

Thanks,

Jim.
Brenda MalleyJul 16 2009, 11:50amWanted to correct my results. Runner number 547, I'm listed as finisher no 179 at 56.24 mins. I'm an early starter, and correct finishing time is 82 mins.
Many thanks

Brenda Malley
Brenda MalleyJul 16 2009, 11:51amWanted to correct my results. Runner number 547, I'm listed as finisher no 179 at 56.24 mins. I'm an early starter, and correct finishing time is 82 mins.
Many thanks

Brenda Malley
Rene BorgJul 16 2009, 12:26pmClub results now up, overall to follow.
Rene BorgJul 16 2009, 12:50pmOverall club results are now up on the Leinster league page.