Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgJan 2 2010, 2:44pmOut of local interest, will this race be the same as the Winter League course or are the Committee looking for an alternative route.

My two cents is that the existing route will work just fine in the Leinster League but there are viable trails that could make for an interesting course and I would be happy to take anyone responsible for the race around every single trail up here.

A few of the alternatives I have considered myself are now so badly eroded I would avoid them, while a few others still remain good alternatives. The ascent from the trial course of a few years back makes a formidable challenge both up and down but has the drawback of forcing a slightly longer stretch of tarmac into the route.

When all is considered, though, I would weigh this against the simplicity of the existing course (which goes to its merit) and see if the change is worthwhile.
Alan AylingJan 2 2010, 10:31pmThe existing route is good for the winter league and has, I think, served this purpose fairly well.
What I like about it:
a) scenic and quite a fun route to run
b) the steep descent off the hill itself is super-sweet
c) the vast majority of the course holds up pretty well even during or after wet weather
d) a good length of a race (alright so this is a wee bit subjective)

To be critical of it, there is
a) too much fire road
b) not enough climbing & descending

For a summer race, I would think a number of improvements/modifications are possible and could be very worthwhile.

Most of all, the long fire road finish is a drag and adds little to the race, a simple alternative would be, having turned into the last forest/felled forest from the upper tarmac road, to continue straight down the "public road" section of fire road (not turning R at first barrier), then lower down turn into the singletracks which lead directly down to the finish. Make the thing more of a mountain race than a trail race! This could also be used as an outward route, although might present a bit of an early bottleneck (start could be brought back to west of bridge to get around this problem).

A good few options up on the hill also exist - Rene would be better positioned than me to suggest these.

Obviously it's up to the committee, if they decide to stick to the winter route I'd support that, but would love to see some experimentation. I'll gladly discus s with anyone interested.
Rene BorgJan 2 2010, 10:47pmAll of Alan's points are well-made and worth consideration. There definitely is scope for using a different up and down around the start area.

Without considering them together but just for the sake of discussion here are some of the options:

1. Start area: Turn the start up the main road to the right rather than left from the car park. Advantage: Steeper and more challenging. Cons: Possible traffic and less interesting

2. At Clarabeg (first peak): When coming off the descent two other options exist:

2.1 Continue straight over the path were you would normally turn back in a V. This lead you onto an extremely rough 2.5k loop with a steep descent and steep ascent back on course. Pros: Will extend route by up to 3k (see below). Adds almost 100m of ascent and descent. Cons: Will extend route by up to 3k! Very rough!

2.2 Don't take the first turn back in the V, instead turn right down to the forest line and take the right here. This is slightly longer (500m) and more grassy than the existing route (2.1 above will lead you onto this also). Pros: Will extend route by 500m, slightly more climb. Disadvantages: People running down into the forest

3. Whilst approaching the main climb back over Trooperstown, you can take a left downwards through a narrow heather track. This brings you out onto a loop at the fringes of the forest which will lead back up the trail towards Trooperstown summit. Pros: Adds 2k and more ascent/descent. Cons: Increases likelihood of getting lost

4. Instead of running over the peak, take the left down the ascent used in the Trooperstown Trial. Pros: Lengthens race, long challenging descent. Cons: No summiting of Trooperstown and you miss out on the scree descent

5. When approaching Clarabeg (first summit) take the first left just at the end of the forest. This will lead you onto a very rocky and heathery ascent of this peak from the back rather than the front (as in the current race). Pros: More technical. Cons: Heather bit of path practically disappeared at this stage. Rocky ascent turns into river in wet weather!

By changing the direction it would be possible to create a route that went up the Trial ascent, over the summit of Trooperstown and down the scree. The instinct would be to then turn right towards Clarabeg (normally the first peak) but I've still to find a good way of closing this loop without running over the territory twice.

Anyway, plenty to think about, I know I will!
Gareth LittleJun 18 2010, 12:11pmAre there any maps and details of this race?
niamh o ceallaighJun 19 2010, 11:37amThanks to all those who have volunteered. We have enough "running" volunteers now, but still require some non-running volunteers.

Gareth, the route details will be posted on or before Wednesday 23rd.
Niamh
Gareth LittleJun 19 2010, 5:22pmThanks Niamh
Joan StapletonJun 21 2010, 2:05pmHi Niamh,

If you need more volunteers for Trooperstown Wed 30th June you may include
myself and Paul Collins. We would like to run this race too.

regards,

Joan
mikey fryJun 21 2010, 8:35pmhi niamh would like to volunteer and run please !!!thanks mikey
Adrian HennessyJun 27 2010, 7:35pmHi Niamh,

I can volunteer for this race as a non-runner if you require any more volunteers.

Thanks, Adrian
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 27 2010, 7:56pmThanks Adrian.
That is great
Niamh O CeallaighJun 28 2010, 10:29amA laptop operator is still urgently needed for the race on Wednesday.
James ClancyJun 28 2010, 12:48pmHi,

Leaving Bray 6.45 if that suits anyone could take 3 people.

Thanks

James

086 60 60 222

Ps Is there any chance anyone could put me on myIMRA?
thanks
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 28 2010, 1:43pm2 more non- running volunteers are urgently required for Trooperstown in addition to a Laptop operator.

No more non - running volunteers will be accepted.
Thanks
Niamh
Peter O'FarrellJun 28 2010, 4:30pmHow can a race have 16 volunteers and still require the race director to look for 2 more volunteers??

Of course folk will choose the running volunteer option, where else in life can you have your cake and run with it!
I realise this post is no help to Niamh's current predicament (sorry Niamh) but maybe it is time to abandon the notion of the running volunteer being a website tickbox option.
We could have a core "team" of 10 non-running positions and these would have to be filled before any running positions can be allocated. Any race director has the discretion to allow some of her volunteers to run but it would not be an assumption.

niamh o ceallaighJun 28 2010, 6:41pmHi Peter,
The committee has discussed this issue and for next years league, runners will have to volunteer twice, including one non-running volunteer to qualify for a prize.
Hopefully that will solve the problem.
It is true that it is actually a nuisance having too many running volunteers as you end up dishing out minor jobs in order to give a job to everyone and it means more people to manage.
Niamh
Torben DahlJun 28 2010, 9:01pmHi, anyone passing or leaving from Tallaght or anywhere else near the Red Luas line?

Kind regards, Torben
Mary O'ConnellJun 28 2010, 11:11pmNiamh

I'm happy to volunteer as a non-running volunteer if you're still looking for help.

Mary
Brian CarolanJun 29 2010, 11:58amHi Niamh,

If you still need a non-running volunteer you can out me down. o8791365tree5.

Brian

Niamh O'CeallaighJun 29 2010, 12:37pmMary and Brian,
Thanks a million for volunteering.
Mary, You will be doing manual results with Dave Williams, so if you could be there by 7.30, that would be great.
Brian, You will be the marshall at the Junior turnaround point, so if you could collect a high viz bib and map of where to go from me at 6.50pm, that would be great.

Thanks,
Niamh
Adrian HennessyJun 29 2010, 12:42pmHi,
Can someone put me on myIMRA please?
Thx,
Adrian
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 29 2010, 12:49pmAdrian,
Text me your mobile number and I will sign you up. You will then get a text with your login and password.
My number is 08five 144five209
Billy AlexanderJun 29 2010, 1:37pmHi, there is no information on the Junior race? Please advise where is the turning point and distance of the Junior race?
niamh o ceallaighJun 29 2010, 2:02pmJunior Race:
Distance: 5.5km
Climb: 280m

The Juniors will race up to the summit of Trooperstown Mountain and back down. They will start up the same route as the main race and will finish down the same route as the main race (ie. up the main track, down through the forrst).

All juniors are to make themselves known to the Race Director (me) in advance of the start of the race to get instructions.

Niamh O Ceallaigh
Joseph MooneyJun 29 2010, 3:13pmNiamh, Can you sign me into My Irma as well please. My mobile is o87 7487716. Thanks. Joe
Bronagh CheethamJun 29 2010, 10:08pmTorben
I'll be passing by Tallaght and can pick you up en route. give me a shout tomorrow on 087 4191511. Bronagh
cormac o ceallaighJun 30 2010, 3:12pmThe race route is bone dry and the route is clearly marked. A better map will be available for viewing at registration this evening.
cormac o ceallaighJun 30 2010, 4:00pmP.S-car pooling from Roundwood.Prize giving in Coach House Pub.
aidan roeJul 1 2010, 10:05amRACE MARKING
After last week’s race I’m sure the last thing RD (Niamh) wants is another pile of guff about race marking and personal responsibility. As an aspiring hill runner, but one who does not want to except responsibility for myself who should I blame for wrong route choice at back of course. The marking was impeccable. I SAW markers at back of course where the sharp hairpin turns runner back towards finish. 3 little flags, all in a row pointing in right direction. But no, David Brady knows where were going. So does John. Fitz. and the others heading off in the wrong direction, following Dave. Lemmings spring to mind. I’m guessing marshal was instructed to say nothing after roasting John Greene got last week for giving directions (missed him last night. Still fuming ??) and must have looked on in bemusement at the gaggle of eejits (not sure of collective noun here) heading off in the wrong direction, ignoring the well marked course. Thankfully he ran after us instead of letting Natural Deselection (did he register?) run its course, and alerted us to our (Dave’s) mistake. So there you have it. David Brady. I blame him. Jaysus that was close. It nearly looked like my own fault. Finally should marshals should be equipped with whistle’s so they don’t have to leave their post so they dont have to go herding?

Gavan you were right. No matter how well marked course is, its impossible to make them idiot-proof (someone will always stress test them)

Joking aside, thanks to Niamh and all the crew who helped organise race. A great evenings running on an enjoyable circuit.

A.
Adrian HennessyJul 1 2010, 10:19amThat was me marshalling at the far end of the course. I hadn't planned on running last night but ended up doing a 100 metre sprint to retrieve the runners who went wrong. I turned my back for a few seconds and several runners took off the wrong way. Hopefully it didn't adversely affect any placings last night. Well done to Niamh on a well run race and very well marked course.
Peter O'FarrellJul 1 2010, 10:44amDat's some racing there last night.
Never mind Eoiny Beany daydreaming about 100km runs off on his own at the front ( well done Eoin by the way! ), look at places 7 8 9 10 and 11 all arriving within 6 seconds of each other. 5 places, only 6 seconds apart after 44 minutes of running. Dat's racing! Where's the heartfelt reports?
Not to forget the mighty Olympian Jenzerwoman racing to victory only a night after organising the woman's cycling racing too.
Mick HanneyJul 1 2010, 10:55amFrom the photos it looks like Niall put it up to Eoin for a while.

The crazy descent made for a very compact finish alright. Whatever about seconds there were probably only split seconds between some people. We'll await an upgrade to the imra clock to take account of 100s of a second :-)

Thanks Niamh and her helpers, particularly of the non-running variety for a great race.

I think the initiative to have juniors run in yellow bibs worked well. Its great see so obviously in a race and afterwards in the photos who the juniors are. Its good for them to evidently see who they are potentially racing with.

Can I suggest for the future that the nearest pub to a route is used for post-race e.g. Lynhams in that case and not Roundwood? I like to stay on where possible after a race for a while but not when it involves a drive in the opposite direction to where I need to be going.
Jim FitzharrisJul 1 2010, 11:10am
Well done to Niamh & co for a very well organised and enjoyable race last night. The marking in particular was excellent and a model for all to follow: not too much and not too little.

The new finish is far better than the old one which encouraged reckless sprints. We already have more than enough fire road on this route.

The ability to cool down in a mountain stream is a bonus at this venue and I would have paid good money for a photo of Ercus disporting himself in the water – it would make a great addition to the notice board in the Law Library!

Eamonn Hodge’s cool box of drinks is set to become a welcome feature but you will soon be broke old son!

Cheers,

Jim.

john greeneJul 1 2010, 11:11amhaha Aidan. im in sunny berlin, it´s flat as a páncake not a hill in sight. so hot all one can do is kick back and sink a few cold ones. ill be running off the holiday weight on the sugarloaf hopefully. auf wiedersehen
Rene BorgJul 1 2010, 11:43amHi all,

Team results are up.
aidan roeJul 1 2010, 12:02pmJohn, i hope your not giving directions over there:-) Thanks Adrian on a job well done.
See you next week John.
Alan AylingJul 1 2010, 12:12pmMick Hanney wrote:
"I think the initiative to have juniors run in yellow bibs worked well. Its great see so obviously in a race and afterwards in the photos who the juniors are. Its good for them to evidently see who they are potentially racing with."

Forcing the wee lads to carry the extra weight hardly seems fair!
Brian HillJul 1 2010, 1:52pmHi,

Would it be possible to put the Junior route up on the IMRA website is well (on a map).
Its easier to see and understand where the route goes when it is marked on a map than when someone tells you it.

Can you imagine where runners would end up if the race director only told people where to go at the start?
It would be crazy - people would probably end up on the other side of wicklow!!

I ran 10.4km following tapes on the Senior course backwards - does that break Junior Rules?

Brian
John LanganJul 2 2010, 10:27pmSincere thanks to everyone involved in the race - it was absolutely super!

A really interesting track with loads to offer - that steep steep down hill :) a great learning race for a newbie like myself. The final few hundred meters through the forest was superb and really fun too - thanks again to everyone.

Super job!