- Sunday 5 February, 2017
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 4 (1,1,2) - Easy Terrain, <200M ascent, 6Km - 10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route fully marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster League
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- The race starts at the forest barrier in the car park and follows the forest trail up towards an old "Wart Well". The trail then descends through the woods and follows a route to an old lodge. From here we take the Lake Walk through the woods which brings us to the Sand Dunes and on to beautiful Long Strand. From here runners can choose their own path through a 1km beach run and exit Long Strand and climb up to the High Cross. From here it is a gentle descent to the forest barrier and Finish Line.
Link to Strava Activity: https://www.strava.com/activities/488696722
- Getting There:
- Castlefreke Forest Recreation Area
Take the N71 west from Clonakilty, travel 7 km and take a left on the R598 to Rathbarry village. Take a right at the Lodge, travel 300 meters and take a right into the car park. The race location will be signposted on the day. Full Directions are given @ http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=16.
The recreation area of Castlefreke is a collection of woodlands close to Rathbarry village in West Cork. The main woodland car park is adjacent to Castlefreke castle. Rathbarry castle, Rathbarry church and graveyard are nearby. Rathbarry castle was built in the 15th century by Randal g Barry. It passed on to Arthur Freke in 1617 and became the family seat of the Evans Freke or Lord Carbery family. In 1780 Sir John Evans Freke built a new castle on a new site, thus the 2 castles are positioned so close to each other.
- Organisers Instructions:
- There will be an Adult race, a Junior race (age 10 - 16) and an accompanied Kiddies Fun Run (under 10):
Adults:       Starts at 11:00       €5
Juniors:     Starts at 10:30       €5
Kiddies:      Starts at 10:30      FREE
The run will be a fully marked with a 6.7km distance and 80m in climb for the adult race.
The Juniors race is approx. 1.5km. The kiddies fun run is non-competitive, is 1.5km long, and the child must be accompanied by an adultPlease arrive at least 30mins before race start time to give time for race registration. There is no pre-registration for this race.
If you have already run an IMRA race this year, please bring the race number given to you at that race as it is valid for the full year.
However, if this is your first IMRA race this year, you must purchase yearly IMRA membership for €10 per person. Please download the membership form, and fill it out beforehand to speed up registration (they will be available on the day too). You will then be given a race number that is used for other IMRA races this year.
Under IMRA rules for competitors safety, it is mandatory to bring and carry a jacket that is shower and wind proof for the entire race. Any competitor seen not carrying or wearing their jacket at any stage in the race will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule!
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize