Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carrauntoohil

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanApr 26 2011, 9:22pm
Well done to all those who ran/jogged the new Carrauntoohil route at the weekend. I hope you weren't looking for any shortcuts!

Just to let you all know the race starts and finishes at the gate on the Kerry Way just up from the road. You must cross the two fences on the way back at the same spot you crossed them at the start. We just don't want any trouble from landowners over using their land without permission!

Apart from that I hope you enjoyed the route and that the sun keeps shining on race day!
Peter O'FarrellMay 3 2011, 5:16pmThere are good holiday homes for rent just outside Kenmare, these were the ones we stayed in on the recent Kerry training weekend organised by Rene/Aoife/Jason. With 5 full houses on the last trip we had a fantastic time so should any of ye be looking into accomodation this might be a good place.

http://www.rentacottage.ie/self-catering/Kerry/Kenmare/Kenmare_Holiday_Village___3_Bed_(Type_B)-25.html

hope to see some of ye there!
Rene BorgMay 5 2011, 11:16amThe first of our three part warm-up at MST for the 25th Anniversary of Carrauntoohil, "The Man from Glanageenty" about our run there with John Lenihan, is now online: http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2011/05/05/the-man-from-glanageenty/

Carrauntoohil Special and interview with John Lenihan to follow in the coming weeks. Don't forget to send through your questions either here or to zarrock60 at hotmail dot com if you want them asked in the interview.

Vivian O'GormanMay 13 2011, 6:14pmVolunteers needed for this race: First Aid Person - 2 Summit Marshalls - 1 for Carrauntoohil itself and the other for Curraghmore - and a couple more for the start/finish.

At the moment a Lap Top Operator is not needed.

You can volunteer through myimra or text me on 0874150398
Jason KehoeMay 20 2011, 6:42pm

Hi all,

Most may not know but this year sees the 25th Anniversary of the Carrauntoohil race!

In recognition of this IMRA has commissioned renowned artist, stone sculptor and fellow IMRA runner Richie Healey (Crusaders A/C) to create 100 original and unique trophy's which the first 100 finishers can each take away with them. The first Female and Male will get their own slightly larger trophy.

A bit about the Trophys:
While on the Kerry training weekend I had the pleasure of asking our baffled group of thirty-odd runners to each bring back at least 3 pieces of small stone from the route of the Carrauntoohil race that could be used to make a trophy. Each stone is very special as it is a piece of sandstone which caught that runners eye and that they would like to see sit on their mantlepiece. The stone will be shaped to stand upright on a felt base and will have a silver plate with the 25th Anniversary Race details. It will also have a matchstick like figure of a person running up the side of it. Something to show the grand-kids now or in the future!

This is a wonderfull memento of the most iconic of mountain races in Ireland on its Silver Jubilee.

For those that helped collect the rocks we thank you and who knows maybe you can get one of those very stones back on the day!

To see some of Richie's wonderful stone creations visit his website here: http://www.richardhealysculptures.com/

Hope to see you in Kerry.

Jason

cormac O CeallaighMay 20 2011, 9:52pmbrillant Jason! that will be a real treasure,Richie is a very talented craftsman, check out his site. for those who have not done this race before put the date in your diary now! its the irish "everest" of mountain races. a must.
Mick HanneyMay 24 2011, 8:30pmThinking of heading down for this. Does anyone have any recommendations for B&Bs or hostels in the general area?
peter O'FarrellMay 24 2011, 10:17pmHi Mick,

If you can find another few lads (or the family) to share the accomodation option I mentioned in my earlier post might work out. Kenmare holiday homes. 5 of us staying there and the more the merrier!
With the new start Kenmare is probably just as close.

On the Fossa road near Killarney there is a hostel and 2 campsites

Beside the race start there is the B&B/cafe place, Brian Furey stayed there when he won so it could be a good place to stay for the positive vibes.
Ray griffinMay 25 2011, 1:27pmI may be interested in this race. I am relatively new to the scene. My only off road experience being an Adventure Race in 2010. I enjoyed that so I am looking to explore some off road running a little more.

Can I sign up on the morning of the race? Is that the norm? How much?

And any tips on suitable running shoes for the event would be appreciated.

Cheers
Diarmuid O'colmainMay 25 2011, 2:03pmHi Mick,

in a bit of a panic a week ago, thinking that getting accommodation on the bank holiday weekend might be a problem, I booked the Railway Hostel in Killarney (064 6635299). I never even looked at the Forum for suggestions; so if everyone is staying in Kenmare, I might see if I can change. On the other hand if lots of people are spread between Killarney and Kenmare.....

Kevin O'RiordanMay 25 2011, 2:09pmI wouldn't mind staying in the railway hostel if there's an IMRA contingent there. I only need accommodation for the Saturday night so don't want to have to book somewhere for a weekend.
diarmuid O'colmainMay 25 2011, 4:56pmHi Kevin,
you and I could be the start of a de-luxe IMRA contingent in the exciting Railway Hostel.
But, by the way, I am planning to stay Sunday night also.
Diarmuid
John HeppellMay 26 2011, 8:15amHi All the Stepping Stone bed and breakfast with Cooky monsters cafe will now be open at the start of the race in Bridia valley.we had a problem with sabdy's mother this is now sorted.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 26 2011, 2:17pmhave just booked into the Railway hostel
Vivian O'GormanMay 26 2011, 6:20pm
Hi Ray,

You can enter this race on the day for a once off entry fee of 10 euro. If you can download an IMRA membership form, fill it in and bring it with you that would quicken registration (I hope!). A good pair of studded running shoes will get you through the race.

Remember to look at the events page for the safety gear you are required to have with you.

For those of you still looking for accommodation don't forget the Stepping Stone B/B with Cooky monsters cafe literally at the finish line of the race! They still have accommodation.

Dermot MurphyMay 27 2011, 8:42amI have amended the route notes to say that you must stick to the Kerry way on both the uphill and downhill sections of the race. This is an important change from last year which stipulated that you only needed to cross the two fences. The change in ruling is important as going off route could potentially lead to trespassing issues which could threatened the future running of the race.
Colm HillMay 27 2011, 8:45amDisappointing to hear about the trespassing.
Coming down through the furze was a "fun" if not highly risky route choice last year
Eamonn HodgeMay 27 2011, 12:10pmSo just to make absolutely clear...(!) we have to stay on the zig-zags right down to the finish line?

Just want to make sure I don't get pipped to the post by anyone who cuts the last zig-zag out!
Dermot MurphyMay 27 2011, 2:54pmEamonn, yes that's correct, you have to stick to the zig zag's.

I think most people would be disappointed with this ruling, but we have be warned that the farmers do not like when walkers take short cuts from the Kerry way through their fields and on to the road. If this happened with IMRA runners, we would be in danger of losing this route (we could lose the car park, for example). As we have already lost one route on Carrauntoohil before, I think it is much better to secure the future of the race with this simple ruling.

Also make sure to stick to the Kerry way when making your way to the start line and then back to the road at the finish.
Tamas FarkasMay 28 2011, 2:53pmHi,
I am deliberating over running this race. But I am completely unfamiliar with the route, is it on tracks mostly? What map should I have? I am also ready to drop back when necessary and wait for other runners who know the way better.
Thanks for the advice in advance!
Jason KehoeMay 30 2011, 10:32amHi Tamas,

The route is open mountain but there is a fence that can be used to guide you to the first mountain Curraghmore. If the weather is good it shouldn't be a problem finding your way from there are usually a good few walkers heading to or from Carrauntoohil which can be seen in the distance.

If the mist is down you will need to take bearings, especially coming off Cahir mountain to get back to the fence line.

Have a look at past results to see where you can estimate where you would fit in and how many would be behind you or in front of you. I wouldn't blindly follow any runners as everyone is prone to making mistakes.

Map options:
* Good large colour printout of the map on Event Page
* OSI 1:25 000 McGillycuddy Reeks
* OSI 1:50 000 Sheet 78
* Harvey McGillycuddy Reeks

I ran this as my 4th race ever with IMRA and didn't have any difficulties although it was a good day. Fingers crossed, the forecast is due to be good for the weekend but definitely be prepared in any case and study your maps.

Cheers,
Jason
Vivian O'GormanMay 30 2011, 7:36pm
I need just a couple more volunteers!

1. A First Aid Person.
2. A Summit Marshall for Curraghmore.
3. A Car Park Manager.

Don't forget to look at events page for what to bring for race - clothes - food - water - suncream etc. Whatever the weather forecast says bring the gear anyway this is Carrauntoohil!

The Car Park is 3 euro per car. There will be NO parking on the road.

Anyone who wants to do an early start can do so just let me know - from 11am

Please if you can download the map from the website do so. Any new runners who have not run an IMRA race before if you can download an IMRA Membership Form and bring it with you that would greatly help registration.

See you all for a great weekend!

Vivian O'GormanMay 31 2011, 9:08pm A bit of news folks --

Just heard from a friend in Kerry:

There is an organized walk up Carrauntoohil on Sunday!! Their start time is around 10.30am. So we should meet them up towards the summit. Just be aware especially on any decents.

Barry MinnockJun 2 2011, 9:45amJust following on from Peter's earlier post - this is a good group staying in Kenmare Holiday Homes. The more the merrier! Should be a fantastic weekend ...
Barry MinnockJun 2 2011, 9:45amJust following on from Peter's earlier post - there is a good group staying in Kenmare Holiday Homes. The more the merrier! Should be a fantastic weekend ...
Katerina KopecnaJun 2 2011, 9:57pmHi I am looking to be a volunteer in Carrauntoohil race, could someone invite me to myIMRA so that i can register? Thanks Katerina
Mick HanneyJun 2 2011, 10:05pmHi Katherina. Need your mobile no. to invite you as the logon details are sent by text.
Tamas FarkasJun 2 2011, 10:17pmJason, thanks for the reply, very informative!
Katerina KopecnaJun 2 2011, 10:19pmMick, can i e-mail the number onto you? What's your e-mail? Katerina
Mick HanneyJun 2 2011, 10:39pmmickhanney @ ireland dot com
vivian o'gormanJun 3 2011, 9:06am
Hi Katerina,

Thanks for volunteering. If you can be at the race start around 11am on Sunday that will be fine. Go to the Climbers Inn in Glencar and follow the IMRA signs from there.
Katerina KopecnaJun 3 2011, 12:54pmHi ok thanks ill be there. Katerina
Charlie O'ConnellJun 3 2011, 7:32pmIf every person summiting Carrauntoohil were to take away a piece of it as a souvenir the mountain's environment would be seriously compromised. The removal of any rock or flora from any mountain is an act of environmenmtal vandalism. That IMRA, commited by its constitution to protecting the mountain environment, should encourage a practice that unfortunately already exists is to be deplored. The rocks referred to in Jason's posting should be returned to the locations from which they were taken and apologies made to the landowners of the Curraghmore/Carrauntoohil area.The entire townland of Curraghmore is owned freehold by Hotel Europe and Carrauntoohil itself is owned freehold by Donal Doona, John O'Shea,John B. Doona and James Sullivan.

Carrauntoohil to-day. Croagh Patrick tomorrow?
Paul NolanJun 3 2011, 9:09pmI was going to stay silent in deference to the artist, but seeing that the gates have been opened...

I call on each Carrauntoohil racer this year to briefly admire their trophy, then return it to the mountain.

Leave no trace, take only memories.
Rene BorgJun 3 2011, 9:36pmWhile I don't want to comment on the issues raised here by Paul and Charlie, I think its worthwhile putting some perspective on the debate by reminding ourselves that each evening we light our houses, turn on the keys to our car, or heat our water, we commit an act of much graver vandalism than any mentioned here.
robbie williamsJun 4 2011, 7:07pmill bring a few replacement stones from the the Knockmealdown race last week, there is way too many up there - sure `twil be grand. :)

Niamh O CeallaighJun 4 2011, 10:21pmHope the weather holds off for ye tomorrow. Am very sorry to be missing the race. Most importantly, enjoy the homemade ice cream in the Cookie Monster cafe at the finish!
Niamh O CeallaighJun 4 2011, 10:21pmHope the weather holds off for ye tomorrow. Am very sorry to be missing the race. Most importantly, enjoy the homemade ice cream in the Cookie Monster cafe at the finish!
Niamh O CeallaighJun 4 2011, 10:21pmOops!
Torben DahlJun 4 2011, 11:10pmIt better be a good ice cream!!! :-P
Ken CowleyJun 5 2011, 6:41pmWell done to all concerned on a great event and route today. Weather was good too. In a car on way home now with 4 other weary but happy car -poolers. Oh, and great spot prizes too!
Rene BorgJun 5 2011, 7:13pmGreat battle today by all accounts, Barry Minnock first with Jason Kehoe in tow. Jason managed to win the race despite suffering a bad gash to his knee falling at the fence-line. He hold off Bernard Fortune in second and, I believe, Rob Cleary in third.
Mick HanneyJun 5 2011, 9:43pmThanks Vivian and volunteers and in particular the summit marshalls.

Well done Jason. Hope your return to the hills isn't delayed too much by the injury.
Donal CashmanJun 6 2011, 10:44amA great race yesterday.
Just wondering if anybody came across a white singlet with blue stripes on the side and race number 1559 on it after yesterdays race?
I think I left it by the banks of the stream (below the farmyard Car Park)
I returned later on to the parking area, but it was nowhere to be seen.

Anyhow... if someone has found it and would like to pass it on to me, then I should be at most Munster Wednesday League and Munster Championship races.

Kind Regards,
Donal
Mick HanneyJun 6 2011, 7:09pmCracking photos John.
Rene BorgJun 6 2011, 11:21pmSome descent times for the top-10 male finishers:

Place Name Descent
1 Stephen Cleary 00:28:52
2 Brian Furey 00:29:16
3 Bernard Fortune 00:29:55
4 Jason Kehoe 00:30:11
5 Rob Cleary 00:30:13
6 Tom Blackburn 00:31:16
7 Mike Cunningham 00:31:58
8 Paul Tierney 00:32:51
9 Barry Minnock 00:33:58
10 Peter O'Farrell 00:34:38
Barry MinnockJun 7 2011, 7:13pmEpic race on Sunday. Congrats to Jason with his maiden victory - many to follow I expect. It's an exclusive club & it was clear on the day that he wanted more than anyone else - there were probably 9 in contention for victory at the summit - close racing. Not Rathfarnham's finest hour, but we'll return stronger :)

Think summit times may be slightly out - know I clocked sub-54 on the garmin, but don't think it matters for KOM as relatively it's correct. Wasn't part of the KOM forum discussion, but I say bring back the points system with a tie to be resolved via head-to-head :)

Thanks to the organisers on that day, particularly Vivian and to Jason, Richie & collectors in relation to memento. I hear what Charlie & Paul are saying re a 'leave no trace' policy, but as long as it's not an annual ritual I don't see the issue.
Jason KehoeJun 7 2011, 11:52pmThanks for the kind words and to Vivian and his merry crew who did a great job as usual. Doctor says I will be back to business as usual in a few weeks if all heals well. For now it's the couch, daytime TV and happy memories to keep me busy.

I put up a report / story for posterity. Please forgive my euphoric ramblings!
Ronan HickeyJun 8 2011, 11:50am"Between the bog and the blood its difficult to see whats going on, ah yes there it is, the white of my knee cap, luckily its completely numb and I start to clean it before the nerves register anything."

JeeAYsis! Is that what it takes to be a champion? :-) Great race report.

Ro
Eamonn HodgeJun 8 2011, 2:14pmWhat a great race report. I'd love to see a few reports from the top 10. What a way to win your first race!
Adrian HennessyJun 9 2011, 10:17amWell done to all who participated in Carrauntoohill on Sunday, it was a super race and a well deserved victory for Jason.

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know how to update the "county" field in their profile? I'm countyless at the moment but should be Limerick. I don't think it makes a difference to the intercounty result from Carrauntoohill though..
Mick HanneyJun 9 2011, 10:20amPop an email to the results / records secretary (kevin.oriordan at imra dot ie) and they'll sort it for you.
Regards,
Mick
Gerry BradyJun 9 2011, 7:13pmCork are the 2011 Inter-county champions with the Cleary brothers and Paul Tierney the scoring three runners. Brian Mullins and Kevin O Riordan provided good backup for a solid win. Dublin pipped Limerick for the silver medals. See race reports for detailed results.