- Rochestown Woods
- Wednesday 7 August, 2019
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 3 (1,1,1) - Easy Terrain, <200M ascent, <6Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route fully marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster Summer League
- Route Description:
- This short fast circuit is in Rochestown Woods behind Garryduff Sportscentre on a mixture of trails and fire roads. There are plenty of tree roots so watch out! There are some short steep sections so appropriate footwear is recommended if weather is wet.
The race will start near the barrier about 500m in from the entrance to Rochestown Woods. Registration will also be located near this barrier.
The route starts to ascend gradually on a wide fire road until you reach the turntable and you turn left into the forestry. You cross a little stream and follow the trail which ascends and then goes in a south-westerly direction for c. 500m. Then you take a sharp right turn to go back in a north-easterly direction for another 500m. You cross the stream again and climb a steep (but short!) hill which takes you onto the main forestry loop.
From here you go in a clockwise direction following the boundary of the forestry back to the turntable. At the turntable you complete another lap of the main forestry loop in a clockwise direction. Back at the turntable for the 2nd time, you follow the trail back to the barrier at the start.
- Getting There:
- Rochestown/Garryduff Woods is located to the south-east of Cork City.
Most people will probably be coming from the South Ring Road. At the Bloomfield Interchange, follow the signposts for Passage West. This will take you down the slip road by St. Patrick’s Church to a small roundabout. Take the Passage West exit and after almost 200m, take a right up Clarke’s Hill. You will see the signpost for Garryduff Sports centre and Mount Oval bar. At the end of this road, you come to a T-junction, the entrance to Rochestown Woods is straight ahead.
Unfortunately, parking facilities are not available at Garryduff Sports Centre so please do not park here. Parking is limited so car pool where possible. We suggest you park by Rochestown Inn (there is a car park across the road), along Upper Belmont Avenue or Upper Kensington. Please be considerate of residents and don’t block the lane to the woods as urgent access may be required.
- Organisers Instructions:
This race is open to all IMRA members and cost TBD. There will online pre-registration available closer to the event
Under IMRA rules for competitor's safety, it is mandatory to bring and carry a jacket that is shower and wind proof for the entire race. Any competitor seen not carrying or wearing their jacket at any stage in the race will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule!
IMRA MEMBERSHIP PROCEDURE FOR 2019!
All competitors must be IMRA members. IMRA membership costs €10 for a calendar year. It is unrelated to membership of other athletic clubs. IMRA membership cannot be purchased at the race, you must follow these steps beforehand:
- Login to your "myimra" account on www.imra.ie. If you don't have an account, create one using the REGISTER FOR MYIMRA link, and follow the instructions carefully.
- Go to the PURCHASE IMRA PRODUCTS page and purchase 2019 membership using a credit/debit card.
- Bring the membership confirmation email containing your race number for the year with you to your first race
- Get a bib number at your first race, and hold on to it, as it's valid for the full year.
Note: If you are not a 2019 IMRA member or don't know your race number, it will not be possible to enter the race
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize