Slievenamon - European Trials
- Sunday 8 April, 2018
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 8 (3,3,2) - Difficult Terrain, >500M ascent, 6Km - 10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Only major junctions marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster Winter/Spring League, Southeast League
- Entry opens:
- 2018-03-25 00:00:00
- Entry closes:
- 2018-04-07 18:00:00
- Entry limit:
- None set
- Entry cost:
- €7 for seniors, €5 for over 65s and under 18s
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- The race start/finish is in the car park field located to the right of the walkers path.
For the senior and junior follow the markers to the well-travelled path. At the Holy cross on the bottom of the main climb, the senior route takes the direct line all the way to the summit cairn (very large pile of rocks) at the top - be warned that this is a gruelling non-stop climb. As you approach the cairn (from imaginary 6 O'Clock), follow clockwise around it until markers guide you off at 3 O'Clock and across open mountain to the descent which also takes in Sheegouna summit. Again, follow markers down to the well-trodden rough, grassy track and 'turn' right to head clockwise on the main Slievenamon circuit. Follow this grassy track which, after 200m, parallels the old stone wall all the way to the bottom corner and then heads right and up the steep and prolonged final climb. This climb joins up with the main summit path, once on the main path follow it straight back down to the finish line in the car park field.
The junior/novice route heads to the Holy cross and then a marshal will guide to the left. This picks up a contouring single track for 1.5km to a stream. From here the route drops down to the lower track (50m) for the route back to the finish (2km).For EURO QUALIFIERS: JUNIOR INTERNATIONALS WILL RUN SENIOR ROUTE TO MEET MARSHALL AT TURN AROUND POINT (MARKED) WHICH IS AT THE 2.5KM MARK AND RETURN VIA SAME ROUT FROM WHICH THEY CAME. PLEASE NOTE: TARGET TIMES FOR NOW STAND AT: SENIOR COURSE 47MIN SENIOR MEN, 55 MIN SENIOR LADIES. JUNIOR INTERNATIONAL: MEN 26MIN, jUNIOR LADIES 29 MINS
- Getting There:
- Follow the Google maps link for directions: https://goo.gl/maps/w8H6uYEnRF22
The event car park is located 500m above Kilcash village, which is situated just off the Kilkenny/Clonmel road (N76).
Head through the village, up the hill, for 400m until a left turn signed Slievenamon summit. Follow these directions into car park. A local farmer has kindly allowed us to use his field (for a small fee) for parking and organising the event. We would ask all attendees to use this facility as it reduces the inconvenience placed upon the local community (such as blocked access, noise, general increase in activity) within the village itself. Parking is €3 per car to cover the fee.
- Organisers Instructions:
- On Sunday 1st July, the European Mountain Running Championships (Up & Down) take place in Skopje, Macedonia. This race will include the trial for selection for these championships.
The junior races at this championships will be open to those runners born in 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2002
Under IMRA rules for competitor's safety, it is mandatory to bring and carry a jacket that is shower and wind proof for the entire race. Any competitor seen not carrying or wearing their jacket at any stage in the race will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule!
NEW IMRA MEMBERSHIP PROCEDURE FOR 2018!
All competitors must be IMRA members. IMRA membership costs €10 for a calendar year. It is unrelated to membership of other athletic clubs. IMRA membership cannot be purchased at the race, you must follow these steps beforehand:
- Login to your "myimra" account on www.imra.ie. If you don't have an account, create one using the REGISTER FOR MYIMRA link, and follow the instructions carefully.
- Go to the PURCHASE IMRA PRODUCTS page and purchase 2018 membership using a credit/debit card.
- Bring the membership confirmation email containing your race number for the year with you to your first race
- Get a bib number at your first race, and hold on to it, as it's valid for the full year.
Note: If you are not a 2018 IMRA member or don't know your race number, it will not be possible to enter the race
- Prizegiving Location:
- Yet to be confirmed - but talking to the pub in Kilcash village.
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize
|Driver Surname||Firstname||Location||Passing Through||Departure||Seats Available||Seats Accepted|