- Sunday 11 August, 2019
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 9 (3,3,3) - Difficult Terrain, >500M ascent, >10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Only major junctions marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster Championship, Southeast League
- Entry opens:
- 2019-07-19 00:00:00
- Entry closes:
- 2019-08-10 18:00:00
- Entry limit:
- None set
- Entry cost:
- €7 for seniors, €5 for over 65s and under 18s
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- The race start/finish is in the Nire Valley Car Park. For the senior and junior follow the markers to the well-travelled Waymarked path to 'The Gap' at top of the Nire Valley. There will be a Marshal located here - the junior route will take a left and follow the fence line up the Knockanaffran ridge until they encounter a style/fence. The junior route cross the style and turn left to follow the fence and Waymarked way descent to the finish. The Senior route will take a right at the 'The Gap' and continue up the very steep climb of Carrigeen. Continue to follow the fence-line up the singletrack and heather climb until the fence-line breaks, route markers will guide around the Boola lakes rim to the very steep, loose, and technical, descent into the Boolas Corrie **This is an extremely challenging descent so be warned - only mountain specific shoes are to be used and due care is to be taken at all times**. Follow the markers out and back onto the Waymarkers to 'The Gap'. At the Gap, cross the style, and a marshal will direct to the right and up the Knockanaffran ridge - from here the senior route follows the junior route back to the start. The route is to be followed and no short cuts are allowed - if a marshal/fellow racer witnesses a short cut the runner will be disqualified.
- Getting There:
- https://goo.gl/maps/ffEo8ps1wUqK5V2Y9 The start/finish is located at the Nire Valley Car Park (10km East of Ballymacarbry, Co. Waterford). We would ask all competitors to consider car sharing as the car park is for all mountain visitors and may become very busy. An option is to leave cars in Ballymacarbry and share a lift to the start (use forum and car share option to link up).
- Organisers Instructions:
This race is open to all IMRA members and cost TBD. There will online pre-registration available closer to the event
Under IMRA rules for competitor's safety, it is mandatory to bring and carry a jacket that is shower and wind proof for the entire race. Any competitor seen not carrying or wearing their jacket at any stage in the race will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule!
IMRA MEMBERSHIP PROCEDURE FOR 2019!
All competitors must be IMRA members. IMRA membership costs €10 for a calendar year. It is unrelated to membership of other athletic clubs. IMRA membership cannot be purchased at the race, you must follow these steps beforehand:
- Login to your "myimra" account on www.imra.ie. If you don't have an account, create one using the REGISTER FOR MYIMRA link, and follow the instructions carefully.
- Go to the PURCHASE IMRA PRODUCTS page and purchase 2019 membership using a credit/debit card.
- Bring the membership confirmation email containing your race number for the year with you to your first race
- Get a bib number at your first race, and hold on to it, as it's valid for the full year.
Note: If you are not a 2019 IMRA member or don't know your race number, it will not be possible to enter the race
- Prizegiving Location:
- Nire Valley Car Park (location may change subject to venue availability)
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize